Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

The Epsilon was used before for Dublin to Cherbourg - are there are rumours for this to be used for Rosslare to Cherbourg?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

We usually go via west and south coasts of France every 2nd year but I think this year we'll take our chances again with the Brexit mad house route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

We had started looking at flights and considered going further afield, but laziness took over and despite much griping we've booked the WB Lates (Dublin or Rosslare much of a muchness for us, plus we get the novelty of sailing past the hometown). Price slightly up on last year but the goodwill gesture brings it back to about the same, and we've paid more in previous years (especially considering we now need 2 cabins).

This is really bad news for Rosslare village, we always stopped in the café there, I'm sure many others did. Petrol stations, shops etc are going to be badly hit. Brendan Howlin was on the news complaining that IF should be thinking about Brexit but I'd imagine he's mainly concerned for the hit to his constituency. Ironically the new Enniscorthy/Ferns bypass will be open in time for next summer, but we won't be using it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dónal wrote: »
    The Epsilon was used before for Dublin to Cherbourg - are there are rumours for this to be used for Rosslare to Cherbourg?

the Epsilon is chartered, they may be handing it back. There's also rumours of problems with the Ulysses so they might need the Epsilon for the Holyhead run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Rosslare-Cherbourg is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Peckham wrote: »
    Saint Avit Loisirs. Near enough to Bergerac.
    We've been and its a great spot
    I'd have a look at a cheap hotel in Tours, and have a look around there, in the city, if theres a tram into the city centre, so you don't arrive too early at the site and have to wait to get your accomodation.

Theres a Carrefour supermarché and a lidl to buy food in Le Bugue.

Our youngest is 5 and we went canoing - great day out, and the national museum of prehistory(airconditioned) in Les Eysies also worth a look

The family who own it are finishing up in 2019, Eurocamp are taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Irish Ferries gone. Stena still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Ah..irish ferries are simply applying for government funding..as taxpayers we don't get this bonus..
    Wait and see over the coming days government ministers will be tripping over themselves holding meetings with directors of irish ferries to save rosslare to France route ... scoring brownie points for themselves and rowing in financially to possibly keep the service running..be it viable or not ..
    Could be like a miniature version of bailing out the banks and we all now know how bad that was..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Junior Minister for Transport has sent his minnions to Irish Ferries to talk about the situation.

Eoghan Corry, travel expert, was just on Morning Ireland there. The WBY only takes 30 mins extra to get from Dub-Cher v's what the OW did from Ross-Cher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

loyatemu wrote: »
    This is really bad news for Rosslare village, we always stopped in the café there, I'm sure many others did. Petrol stations, shops etc are going to be badly hit. Brendan Howlin was on the news complaining that IF should be thinking about Brexit but I'd imagine he's mainly concerned for the hit to his constituency. Ironically the new Enniscorthy/Ferns bypass will be open in time for next summer, but we won't be using it now.
    Yeah, last year we stopped for food both ways!

Haven't heard what he said, but there probably is a point about Brexit, given the UK Government is planning to leverage the 80% of Irish road frieght land bridge at the moment (according to Newsnight last night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It will be back. The hauliers are refusing to use the one from Dublin as the traffic is a nightmare.

Also sending people to an industrialised port is silly. We we went from Dublin to Hollyhead once, never again, port is a disaster in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It will be back. The hauliers are refusing to use the one from Dublin as the traffic is a nightmare.

Also sending people to an industrialised port is silly. We we went from Dublin to Hollyhead once, never again, port is a disaster in Dublin
    Stena still runs every other day from Rosslare to France all year, winter and summer, so its not as if theres no options.
    Come the spring Britanny are back with sailings twice a week from Cork to Roscoff and back.

Stena still runs every other day from Rosslare to France all year, winter and summer, so its not as if theres no options. Come the spring Britanny are back with sailings twice a week from Cork to Roscoff and back.

And a new Cork - Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

There was some councillor from Wexford on Drivetime with Mary yesterday evening who had a few "facts" which clearly sound bogus so. She said it would add 4 hours to the Ireland-France journey to go from Dublin instead of Rosslare and also said that there was no other service to France from Rosslare now if IF pull out!

The hauliers were a big factor in deciding to concentrate on Dublin. A lot of N.I freight to France goes via the south and that will increase post Brexit. Dublin is a lot more attractive to them than Rosslare.

Also sending people to an industrialised port is silly. We went from Dublin to Hollyhead once, never again, port is a disaster in Dublin

Dublin Port can get congested but it works and there is major expansion/improvement on the way.

Ceist_Beag wrote:
    There was some councillor from Wexford on Drivetime with Mary yesterday evening who had a few "facts" which clearly sound bogus so. She said it would add 4 hours to the Ireland-France journey to go from Dublin instead of Rosslare and also said that there was no other service to France from Rosslare now if IF pull out!

And Mary Wilson chipped in with Rosslare-Cherbourg is the shortest route to France (which it isn't).

Shocking interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

WB Lates will be docking in Rosslare in about half an hour. Could be it's only time..

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

mgray wrote: »
    WB Lates will be docking in Rosslare in about half an hour. Could be it's only time..

Cheers, that made me laugh :)

First Up wrote: »
    The hauliers were a big factor in deciding to concentrate on Dublin. A lot of N.I freight to France goes via the south and that will increase post Brexit. Dublin is a lot more attractive to them than Rosslare.

Dublin Port can get congested but it works and there is major expansion/improvement on the way.

Hauliers are out in force already against the move.

Are they?

• Advertisement

Are they?

In the media about it. The queues into Dublin port are already a nightmare and a bit of wind shuts the tunnel!!

Now increase the traffic of passengers going that way, let's see the complaints on here next summer.

I am a bit defensive about Rosslare as from Wexford, but once the new motorway skips Ferns, Camolin and Enniscorthy, it could be quicker to get to Rosslare from South Dublin than it is to Dublin port from South Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Really?

Irish ferries havent had a service all this winter from Rosslare to France and NOW the Hauliers are complaining, even though theres a service every other day with Stena which DOES go from Rosslare, even during the winter

What summer only produce are these lads transporting. Strawberries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Verona Murphy of the Hauliers Assoc was on Sean O'Rourke earlier. I didn't get all of it but she was talking about a possible new freight service from Rosslare- Le Havre which would be ideal for Freight alright.
    She also said she had faith in Irish Rail to develop the port.

Really?

Irish ferries havent had a service all this winter from Rosslare to France and NOW the Hauliers are complaining, even though theres a service every other day with Stena which DOES go from Rosslare, even during the winter

What summer only produce are these lads transporting. Strawberries ?

Leave our strawberries alone!!!!!!!!!

I heard those comments but you can be 100% sure IF have done their research. They would not make such a move without having already secured commitments.

Plans are already afoot for developments at Dublin Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

And a new Cork - Cherbourg.

Really? I haven’t seen anything about a Cork-Cherbourg Service.

Newonhere wrote:
    Really? I haven’t seen anything about a Cork-Cherbourg Service.

I read a while back that Brittany Ferries were introducing it but I don't see anything on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Alfa Mark

Having used both ports(and others) for trips to France, I can see it being a problem in the summer. With Rosslare, it is quieter and the traffic can get on/off the Cork or Dublin routes. With Dublin Port, if you're not heading out of or into the tunnel, there will be delays. I'm thinking of the motorhomes and anyone crazy enough to bring their own caravan.

Alfa Mark wrote:
    Having used both ports(and others) for trips to France, I can see it being a problem in the summer. With Rosslare, it is quieter and the traffic can get on/off the Cork or Dublin routes. With Dublin Port, if you're not heading out of or into the tunnel, there will be delays. I'm thinking of the motorhomes and anyone crazy enough to bring their own caravan.

I've found Dublin Port congested and awkward in the past but there is a major development plan underway.

I don't know by how much the WBY will add to port traffic but I doubt it will bring the city to a halt.

Once out of the Port, I will greatly enjoy the 20 minutes to home compared to the two hours from Rosslare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Verona Murphy doesn’t accurately represent hauliers.. unless they’re from Wexford

Advertisement