Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My fiance is a haulier - he rarely uses IF. For hauliers, they are typically far more expensive than Stena.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote: »
    I read a while back that Brittany Ferries were introducing it but I don't see anything on their website.

Apologies; its an additional weekly Cork-Roscoff sailing, using the new Connemara ship that is doing Cork-Santander.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Got an email from Stena. Mite be common knowledge.

25% de réduction, c’est notre cadeau de Noël pour toute l’année 2019! Profitez de 25% de réduction pour tout voyage motorisé vers l’Irlande l’année prochaine, c’est notre cadeau de Noël!

Réservez avant le 8 janvier 2019 et voyagez entre le 7 janvier et le 18 décembre 2019 pour profiter de cette réduction sur la ligne Cherbourg – Rosslare.

Utilisez le code NEWYEAR25 dès aujourd’hui et économisez 25% tout au long de l’année 2019!

Got an email from Stena. Mite be common knowledge.

On their website. Applies to their Rosslare to UK routes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

On their website. Applies to their Rosslare to UK routes as well.

They must have upped their prices since last week because it's working out at less than 10% lower than the same itinerary I priced then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

Seems to be 25% off the economy fare, the discount on the Flexi fare is less than 25%.

It's a pity it leaves Cherbourg so early otherwise it would suit us. It would be a rush to be at the port for the 3pm sailing.

We are avoiding IF next year and going over with Brittany Ferries, the return dates with Brittany don't suit so I may have to go with Stena.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Just ran the "30% Merrier Xmas" discount and it turned out to be literally €1 more expensive than the non discounted fare I booked a few weeks ago.

"30% Merrier Xmas" me ar$e :rolleyes:

We are avoiding IF next year and going over with Brittany Ferries, the return dates with Brittany don't suit so I may have to go with Stena.

The off peak fares on the WBY are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Can you use tesco coupons and promo code with Stena in same booking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Alfa Mark wrote: »
    Having used both ports(and others) for trips to France, I can see it being a problem in the summer. With Rosslare, it is quieter and the traffic can get on/off the Cork or Dublin routes. With Dublin Port, if you're not heading out of or into the tunnel, there will be delays. I'm thinking of the motorhomes and anyone crazy enough to bring their own caravan.

We’ll be bringing the caravan but will use the port tunnel.

Trucks use the port all the time, no reason it would be any bother for motor homes or caravans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

_Brian wrote: »
    We’ll be bringing the caravan but will use the port tunnel.

Trucks use the port all the time, no reason it would be any bother for motor homes or caravans.

We will also use the Port Tunnel. With a 4pm Sailing Time, it won't be peak prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We will also use the Port Tunnel. With a 4pm Sailing Time, it won't be peak prices.
    With a 4pm departure, and 10am arrival(plus disembarent and customs) , it’s not peak anything in either direction

With a 4pm departure, and 10am arrival(plus disembarent and customs) , it’s not peak anything in either direction

True!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I find that I prefer to maximize the time in France so the 7am arrival in Roscoff and 10pm departure with Brittany Ferries achieve this......

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Due to the IF changes and arriving & departing from Cherbourg, I've realised I've never departed from Cherbourg and terrors of all terrors I don't know of any wine Warehouse similar to Roscoff for the ferry home, can the good people on here advise me of reputable ones. TIA.

MorganIRL wrote:
    Due to the IF changes and arriving & departing from Cherbourg, I've realised I've never departed from Cherbourg and terrors of all terrors I don't know of any wine Warehouse similar to Roscoff for the ferry home, can the good people on here advise me of reputable ones. TIA.

There's a Normandie Wine Warehouse on the main route to the ferry in the middle of town. Its just opposite Carrefour which is also worth a look.

My personal preference is Auchan which you can't miss on the way into Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

My personal preference is Auchan which you can't miss on the way into Cherbourg.
    they always have some pretty good offers on.

There's a Normandie Wine Warehouse on the main route to the ferry in the middle of town. Its just opposite Carrefour which is also worth a look.

We used the Auchan the last time we came home via Cherbourg. And friends of ours use Normandie Wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

I always use the supermarkets. Think they're similar prices but I've only compared them to the Red Bus. Never have much space so I find it handy that I have them packed before we drive back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I always use the supermarkets. Think they're similar prices but I've only compared them to the Red Bus. Never have much space so I find it handy that I have them packed before we drive back.

Yea, over the 16 years we’ve been travelling we tend to use the supermarkets now. You can sample a few bottles when your shopping and then buy a dozen easily before leaving the area, let’s them get packed away properly too.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, over the 16 years we’ve been travelling we tend to use the supermarkets now. You can sample a few bottles when your shopping and then buy a dozen easily before leaving the area, let’s them get packed away properly too.

We also do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blooddiamond

Hi. Just looking at booking Brittany Ferries Cork-Roscoff with a caravan and it’s looking pretty expensive 😬. Would have booked earlier but was told by Irish Ferries on the phone to wait til January for Rosslare- Roscoff to be released 😀. Has anyone used any discount codes/promotions/member discounts that might bring down the price a little with Brittany Ferries??Thanks

_Brian wrote:

I prefer to buy where the locals go. The big supermarkets have very good wine Depts (Auchan especially) and they are also well set up for those of us buying in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Similar to MorganIRL I'm used to getting some wine at the Wine Centre in Roscoff but due to the IF changes it looks like we'll be in and out via Cherbourg this year so am on the look out for a good alternative in the Cherbourg area.

Is this the Auchan you are referring to First Up?

https://goo.gl/maps/vt5b31159Zp

Similar to MorganIRL I'm used to getting some wine at the Wine Centre in Roscoff but due to the IF changes it looks like we'll be in and out via Cherbourg this year so am on the look out for a good alternative in the Cherbourg area.

Is this the Auchan you are referring to First Up?

That's the one; very easy to find and loads of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Any promo codes for yelloh?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Thank you I know the spot now, I recognise it from when I'm trying to get off that roundabout ahead of any caravans :-) if there's a decathlon in there we'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any tips for booking with Brittany ferries? Any codes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Any tips for booking with Brittany ferries? Any codes available?

Used BF in 2016 and booked again for next summer. Registered with them this time 3 years ago and I’ve never once seen a promotion or discount code issues for Cork-Roscoff sailings in that time.

• Advertisement

MorganIRL wrote:
    Thank you I know the spot now, I recognise it from when I'm trying to get off that roundabout ahead of any caravans :-) if there's a decathlon in there we'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :-)

No Decathalon there I'm afraid. Just Auchan and a few small shops and cafes.

Advertisement