Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• So did you figure this one out? Renting a van over there but finding it hard to locate campsites near the larger cities...

Haven't really figured anything out, I'm in my final year in college so have my head elsewhere at the moment.

Talking to a few of the lads and I think we're starting to lean towards no camper van and just going over and doing hostels and the like (I'm not too pushed on this idea)

How much is it costing you to rent over there, camper + insurance, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

We (3 adults + 3 children) are travelling from Cherbourg to Disneyland at Easter. We have 2 nights before we check in and were hoping to stop on the way to Marne La Valee. Ive been to Honfleur before and really liked it but that was before kids. Is it suitable? Another place Ive been looking at is Connelles just due to cheap accomodation. Any advice or recommendations?? Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Was looking at €600 basic to sleep 4, €120 cleaning fee, €120 excess insurance and another €150 for tolls/diesel. The only problem was we were to base ourselves around Bordeaux but there are no campsites available near enough the city to enjoy the buzz around and after the matches. Even through the official link they offer on the Euro2016 page are refusing to take bookings saving spaces for their regulars as are the other site 6km from the centre, my oh is French and had a friendly chat without mentioning football so no chance... Bit of a disaster that they haven't arranged some sort of venue for the fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably too late, but I know a few who having rented a campervan for Euro 2012 are buying a crappy one now for France, as danger of doing some damage to the rented one was too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi all.

So pretty much getting ready to book accommodation for our trip this year. Have the ferry booked since September or October.

Following a recommendation here, we were looking at Sequoia Parc but, on reading reviews, there seems to be a particular problem with mosquitoes. As my wife tends to get bitten quite badly and we'll have a young baby with us, this is now out.

Another site that I saw mentioned quite a bit is Les Charmettes, which is also in the Charante-Maritime region. Reviews seem very positive. I'd be fairly happy to go ahead and book it but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it or Siblu that they think is relevant? This will be our third year holidaying in France but will be our first staying in a campsite and will also be our first with a child.

Any tips/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Another site that I saw mentioned quite a bit is Les Charmettes, which is also in the Charante-Maritime region. Reviews seem very positive. I'd be fairly happy to go ahead and book it but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it or Siblu that they think is relevant?

Can't comment on Les Charmetts specifically but we've been holidaying in 3 different Siblu sites for the last 6 years and I've always found them to be very professional and the parks they run are well maintained in every respect.

If booking get a price online then call them and see if you can get the early booking discount or tell them your friends stay with them every year and get a loyalty discount. Give them a chance to give you a discount and you might get lucky, it may only be 5%-10% but it al counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hi all.

So pretty much getting ready to book accommodation for our trip this year. Have the ferry booked since September or October.

Following a recommendation here, we were looking at Sequoia Parc but, on reading reviews, there seems to be a particular problem with mosquitoes. As my wife tends to get bitten quite badly and we'll have a young baby with us, this is now out.

Another site that I saw mentioned quite a bit is Les Charmettes, which is also in the Charante-Maritime region. Reviews seem very positive. I'd be fairly happy to go ahead and book it but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it or Siblu that they think is relevant? This will be our third year holidaying in France but will be our first staying in a campsite and will also be our first with a child.

Thanks.
    Hi , went there with OH and kids 3 yrs ago and we loved it there. Pool complex is excellent and it has good evening entertainment with a seperate auditorium.Site itself is quite large with well stocked shop and bike hire on site, good bar and restaurant as well. Site is very popular with Irish people and there is some private mobiles for rental on the usual buy n sell sites which can work out cheaper than booking with Siblu. Overall we would go back there without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

Siblu run really excellent campsites. Stayed in Les Charmettes and staying down the road in Bonne Anse Plage this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cheers lads. Sounds like an ideal place for our first campsite holiday.

Think I'll pull the trigger on it in the next few days so.

And thanks for the tip Je_suis_jean, definitely worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Oriordad wrote: »
    Siblu run really excellent campsites. Stayed in Les Charmettes and staying down the road in Bonne Anse Plage this year.

Stayed in Bonne Anse Plage twice. Really top site right on the coast with direct access to dedicated cycle paths.

The general area is quiet enough (with brilliant beaches) but the local zoo, literally 2km away, is one of the best in the world. Comparable with Singapore in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi all.

Thanks.

I have stayed in both parks, but we keep going back to les charmettes including this coming year.

Sequoia is lovely don't get me wrong but its in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing around it. I will put a list of the differences:

1) Sequoia is a shorter distance from the boat, 30 mins shorter. You will go by it on the way to les charmettes
    2)Sequioa does not allow people to enter the park with cars after 10pm, les charmettes has no time limit.
    3)Sequioa does better pizza :)
    4) Les Charmettes is closer to the beaches, zoo and la playmre village for going to get something to eat, 5 mins away really.
    5)Les Charmettes pool complex is way ahead of sequoia
    6)Les Charmettes seems to do more activities for kids and the pony stable is next door.
    7)De Luna is beside les Charmettes, noise meant to be bad in July/August but haven't experienced this yet as its the first time we are going in July
    8) A great bakery close to les charmettes:)
    9)Better cycling routes by Les Charmettes
    10)Way better broadband at les charmettes, you pay for it in both parks.

For me Les Charmettes is that bit better with whats around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Looking for one nights accomodation around Nantes on the way down south. Arriving late and heading to the camp on Saturday morning. Car with roofbox and bikes so would like fairly secure parking. 2 Adults and 4 Kids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Looking for one nights accomodation around Nantes on the way down south. Arriving late and heading to the camp on Saturday morning. Car with roofbox and bikes so would like fairly secure parking. 2 Adults and 4 Kids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Novotel is a good and cheap option and there are at least three in or near Nante.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Novotel is a good and cheap option and there are at least three in or near Nante.
    tis, and if you can stay patient then theres sales that crop up with up to 50% off, and even a breakfast thrown in for free too !

No harm to book a flexible rate now to have something for sure, and then cancel if you pick up a cheap deal in a sale at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi all.

Thanks.

I have stayed in both parks, but we keep going back to les charmettes including this coming year.

Sequoia is lovely don't get me wrong but its in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing around it. I will put a list of the differences:

1) Sequoia is a shorter distance from the boat, 30 mins shorter. You will go by it on the way to les charmettes
    2)Sequioa does not allow people to enter the park with cars after 10pm, les charmettes has no time limit.
    4) Les Charmettes is closer to the beaches, zoo and la playmre village for going to get something to eat, 5 mins away really.
    6)Les Charmettes seems to do more activities for kids and the pony stable is next door.
    7)De Luna is beside les Charmettes, noise meant to be bad in July/August but haven't experienced this yet as its the first time we are going in July

I have stayed in charmettes and Bonne anse place and I would go with BAP any day. You are a lot closer to the town the cycle track passes right trough it and it's an easy 5 mins into the town. Charmettes is a lot further out and its up a bit of hill on the way back, you will also have to cross a good few busy roads to get into the town, not so with bonne anse. Trust me on this one :)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi all.

Thanks.

I have stayed in charmettes and Bonne anse place and I would go with BAP any day. You are a lot closer to the town the cycle track passes right trough it and it's an easy 5 mins into the town. Charmettes is a lot further out and its up a bit of hill on the way back, you will also have to cross a good few busy roads to get into the town, not so with bonne anse. Trust me on this one :)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Charmettes is only 3.5k from the town and no hill on the way back. I run the route every summer and its quicker on the way back. Also there is a cycle route all the way from les charmettes to town. Bon is 2.5k from town. So one k is nothing.

Charmettes pool area is alot better especially with the splash zone for the little ones and the frozen shows in the evenings.

Cool stables beside the charmettes, horses for all ages, our daugther started when she was 3.

To be honest you will probably drive to the village anyhow.

The Luna funfair park could be the only thing against les charmettes.

Also would recommend Marennes for your beach if kids are young, Its a perfectly safe beach and not too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

This thread is terrible for getting me excited about my holiday some 6 odd months ahead of when I'm going :(

This thread is terrible for getting me excited about my holiday some 6 odd months ahead of when I'm going :(

The sun, the beach, the food, the wine:D

Stayed in Bonne Anse Plage twice. Really top site right on the coast with direct access to dedicated cycle paths.

The general area is quiet enough (with brilliant beaches) but the local zoo, literally 2km away, is one of the best in the world. Comparable with Singapore in my opinion.

Zoo is good except they allowed you to feed the animals popcorn which is cruel!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hi all, booked La Yole for one night stop on the way up from La Sirene as I wanted to get a quick look at the Jean de Monts area for maybe next year. Anyone have any experiences in La yole..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

All booked for La Pont du Croix. Any tips/ advice greatly appreciated :) Does anyone know if the Al Fresco mobiles are anywhere near the pool area?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

We are thinking of going camping to Bordeaux with kids in the middle of June. I'm worried that the weather might be risky. Does anyone know what weather we are likely to get in Bordeaux in the middle of June? Thanks.

We are thinking of going camping to Bordeaux with kids in the middle of June. I'm worried that the weather might be risky. Does anyone know what weather we are likely to get in Bordeaux in the middle of June? Thanks.

You have just as good chance of good weather in June as you do in July.

2012 we went to sequoica in May, temp was over 30 everyday, neighbours went in July, never got over 22
    2014 we went to les charmettes in June, first week around 20 degrees, second week around 30 degress, July was cold
    2015 We went to charmettes in June, weather was ok for most, around 20-25 degrees.
    2016 we go to les charmettes in July ????????????????????

Just make sure you access to indoor activities if the weather is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I was close to Bordeaux in the middle two weeks of June of 2011 and the weather was a bit hit and miss .. a couple of hot days, a good few wet days and a few overcast days being a little cool ... 18-19c

In 2013 I was there for the same couple of weeks and had a 50/50 split of very hot and very wet
    In 2014 I went in July and got 10 days of incredibly hot days and one monumental day of Thunderstroms .. a spectacular storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I was close to Bordeaux in the middle two weeks of June of 2011 and the weather was a bit hit and miss .. a couple of hot days, a good few wet days and a few overcast days being a little cool ... 18-19c

In 2013 I was there for the same couple of weeks and had a 50/50 split of very hot and very wet
    In 2014 I went in July and got 10 days of incredibly hot days and one monumental day of Thunderstroms .. a spectacular storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

Just a heads up in case you didn't realise but Euro 2016 football tournament is on in France this June.

Maybe just be extra careful not to book a campsite that's full of 20 thousand drunk football fans!

Since there seems to be a good few heading towards La Playmre, maybe be a good idea to put a list of things to do or try, especailly for people going for the first time?

To Do:
    Zoo
    La Rochelle and the Aquarium
    Marennes Beach
    La Playmre Beach, especially for a run
    Bakery in Les Mathes, turn right at the chuch!!!
    Stables beside les Charmettes

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

To add to La Palmyre list
    Château Tayat: small wine shop on the way into Palmyre from Les Charmettes, bring your own bottle to fill up. Seems to be full of locals

• Advertisement

Oriordad wrote: »
    To add to La Palmyre list
    Château Tayat: small wine shop on the way into Palmyre from Les Charmettes, bring your own bottle to fill up. Seems to be full of locals

Think this is the place we go to

http://cavesaintsornin.com/

Really good.

Advertisement