Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

First Up wrote: »
    Could be a lot worse than that and no guarantee private cars will be let jump those queues

True, nobody knows at this stage, but we've queued for a fair while at crossings and can manage.
    Every EU border crossing I've driven through, except the very minor regional ones, have separate lanes for private cars and freight is always to the side, on the hard shoulder if far back.
    I wouldn't expect the Tunnel to do things any differently.
    Not sure how Calais will implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

josip wrote:
    True, nobody knows at this stage, but we've queued for a fair while at crossings and can manage. Every EU border crossing I've driven through, except the very minor regional ones, have separate lanes for private cars and freight is always to the side, on the hard shoulder if far back. I wouldn't expect the Tunnel to do things any differently. Not sure how Calais will implement it.

Every vehicle goes on the train for the Tunnel. I don't see how they can have seperate queues for cars and trucks.

Every vehicle goes on the train for the Tunnel. I don't see how they can have seperate queues for cars and trucks.

For the Channel Tunnel, French customs are in Kent.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juxtaposed_controls
    You clear customs before you drive onto the train.
    Also freight travels on separate trains to non-freight.

josip wrote:
    You clear customs before you drive onto the train.

OK but will private cars have a seperate line to commercial trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Different trains at times and different compartments in other trains. Never have had a problem any time we used it. Some of the car compartments are 2 story

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote:
    Different trains at times and different compartments in other trains. Never have had a problem any time we used it. Some of the car compartments are 2 story

I've used it too but I don't remember how it worked. I remember driving straight on but I don't know what happened with trucks.

But that was when we were all in the good old EU Single Market. Uncharted waters ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

I've used it too but I don't remember how it worked. I remember driving straight on but I don't know what happened with trucks.

But that was when we were all in the good old EU Single Market. Uncharted waters ahead.

Most lorries use the ferry as its cheaper.

dzer2 wrote:
    Most lorries use the ferry as its cheaper.

True but the same issues arise.

They already do.

josip wrote:
    They already do.

Yes, but there aren't 20 mile queues to Dover now. If it gets as bad as some predict, I doubt private cars will be able to drive straight up to the ship or the Chunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

1st week June ... Where would we find the warmest campsites? Thinking of flying as we'll only have 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Anyone been to la vallee Normandy looking at first week in July with Al fresco? Any tips hints or reviews

Irish ferries to Cherbourg then 8 nights on-site?

murt101 wrote:
    1st week June ... Where would we find the warmest campsites? Thinking of flying as we'll only have 7 days.

As a general rule, the further south the warmer it gets but June should be warm everywhere.

Just avoid Finistere.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Thanks, would love to hear recommendations of campsites for a car free holiday if anyone can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

murt101 wrote: »
    Thanks, would love to hear recommendations of campsites for a car free holiday if anyone can help?

Fly to one of the regional airports with Ryanair and bus xfer to a campsite.
    I've done this, flew via La Rochelle and stayed on Ile de Re.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yelloh having a new code EARLYFID for 10% off if you book before 31 jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Anyone been to la vallee Normandy looking at first week in July with Al fresco? Any tips hints or reviews

Irish ferries to Cherbourg then 8 nights on-site?

If you search this forum for la vallee you’ll find a couple of reviews, one by myself. I’m not going to lie I’ve been to 6 different campsites over the last 6 or 7 years and this was my least favorite. We did go at Easter time though so was fairly cold but very sunny. Great spot if you want to do the WW2 beaches etc but if you have kids not a great spot for pools, slides, entertainment, general kids stuff etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Thinking of flying this time , for the first time we usually go ferry

Has anyone flew into Nantes before

Also car hire will need a family car, 3 kids, hertz seem reasonable but have anyone used any other company’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone flew into Nantes before

We flew home from Nantes a few years ago. Small Airport. One of those propeller planes so reduced hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We flew home from Nantes a few years ago. Small Airport. One of those propeller planes so reduced hand luggage.
    Ryanair are flying into it, smaller the better

Anyone tips on car hire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Did you look at Avis ?
    We have hired in France from Avis and Enterprise. Avis was fine but negative experience with Entreprise at Beauvais.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

Hi, I stayed in Les Mouettes last year in Carantac and loved the site. In particular I liked that where we stayed had no cars allowed and there was lots of space between the mobiles. Are there any sites further south (Vendee etc) with the same facilities and space? Ideally with cycle tracks to a nice town. Bonne Anse Plage looks fantastic but is too far south for us this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

ONY wrote:
    Hi, I stayed in Les Mouettes last year in Carantac and loved the site. In particular I liked that where we stayed had no cars allowed and there was lots of space between the mobiles. Are there any sites further south (Vendee etc) with the same facilities and space? Ideally with cycle tracks to a nice town. Bonne Anse Plage looks fantastic but is too far south for us this year.

We stayed in Sunelia Le Fief (just outside Saint Nazaire) last year and part of the campsite was car-free. Great site, but immediate surrounding area is a bit limited in terms of pretty villages, beaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ninesell

Has anyone visited Sancerre or Menetou-Salon to purchase wine? Any recommendations? I will probably return to Chinon and Saumur too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

Sunelia Le Fief does look like a great site, I had that on my list for last year. I’ll take a better look now - thank you.

Ninesell wrote:
    Has anyone visited Sancerre or Menetou-Salon to purchase wine? Any recommendations? I will probably return to Chinon and Saumur too.

If you are going to Saumur I recommend Ackerman. Excellent in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ninesell

If you are going to Saumur I recommend Ackerman. Excellent in every respect.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will add it to the list! I visited Louis de Grenelle in the centre of Saumur previously and enjoyed the mini tour and tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Booked brittany ferries Cork-roscoff in the end. Bit pricier than Dublin cherbourg, but decided a ~5hr drive on France side was a deal beaker for us with a car hating 2yr old.
    3hr drive to Cork is about our limit and we have time to fit in a break for lunch/dinner in the middle.

Glad to have it all booked so I can finally stop checking for prices and updates every day. I'm gonna be extra annoyed if IF now as rosslare - roscoff before the summer.

I'd consider boycotting IF cos of all this messing, but I know if they have best route and price for me in future I'll still book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Has anyone been to La Garangeoir in the Vendee?

It looks like a great spot with lots of things to do for young families.

ANy good places to visit? Is the Zoo in les sables d'olonne good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to La Garangeoir in the Vendee?

It looks like a great spot with lots of things to do for young families.

ANy good places to visit? Is the Zoo in les sables d'olonne good?

it's a great campsite for kids. killer feature for us was they have an evening kids club where you can drop your kids while you go to the bar or restaurant

It's drive-able distance to the Puy du Fou themepark which is incredible https://www.puydufou.com/en

Advertisement