Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First Up wrote: »
    If you are going to Saumur I recommend Ackerman. Excellent in every respect.
    I love this... https://www.macave.leclerc/mlle-ladubay-ilys-cremant-de-loire-aoc-effervescent
    ...or a nice Château Moncontour Vouvray

The Loire has some lovely sparkling reds also which any visitor should try (cold!) e.g. https://www.gratienmeyer.com/en/our-wines/our-sparkling-wines/cardinal-rouge-demi-sec/

A tour through the Bouvet caves (assuming it's still open) is worthwhile for any wine enthuasiast (bring a jacket!)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

murt101 wrote: »
    1st week June ... Where would we find the warmest campsites? Thinking of flying as we'll only have 7 days.

Stayed in Ile de Ré last year over the first week in June and the weather was terrible - only one beach day. To add salt to the wound the weather was fabulous in Ireland so we received loads of texts talking about the heat back home while we were stuck in our mobile home looking at the rain spilling down. Try the Med for guaranteed sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ryanair are flying into it, smaller the better

Anyone tips on car hire

Don't go with Avis, my past experience.

We have gone with Sixt this time, but Almao and Europacar are good also.

Ensure you get your excess insurance on line for 50 euro for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ryanair are flying into it, smaller the better

Anyone tips on car hire

Which Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ninesell

I love this... https://www.macave.leclerc/mlle-ladubay-ilys-cremant-de-loire-aoc-effervescent
    ...or a nice Château Moncontour Vouvray

The Loire has some lovely sparkling reds also which any visitor should try (cold!) e.g. https://www.gratienmeyer.com/en/our-wines/our-sparkling-wines/cardinal-rouge-demi-sec/

A tour through the Bouvet caves (assuming it's still open) is worthwhile for any wine enthuasiast (bring a jacket!)

Thanks for the tips. I bought sparkling red in Louis de Grenelle, definitely worth a try! They also had very reasonably priced red and white wine for sale under their Château de la Durandiere label.
    In the Vouvray region, I bought from Château Gaudrelle and Marc Brédif. I’m not a big white wine drinker. Haven’t actually tried them all yet... They were nice at the tasting! In Chinon, I just had time to go to Pierre et Bertrand Couly. I enjoyed their wine.

Did you buy the Cremant in the supermarket? I find the supermarket choice overwhelming! I like to taste and receive advice in the caves as I am never sure what to buy! Any other supermarket recommendations? The only one I can remember from the supermarket was Cuvée Hortense Prestige Entre deux Mers. I thought it was very nice considering the price.

• Advertisement

There are a number of nice reds from Bourgueil if you're nearby.

Looking at some, I still have some Mlle Ladubay and Mlle Ladubay Cremant de Loire (both Demi Sec) which are lovely.

I buy all my wine in supermarkets. They usually sell wines from the locality (and those can be impossible to find once you leave the area). Heading to smaller caves just puts you under pressure to buy some kind of plonk IMO. The caves tour I mentioned earlier is a proper tour though. Supermarkets tend to be cheaper also.

It’s true, you can feel a bit more pressure to buy at tastings. I tend to look for well reviewed places online and try those. There was just one place I didn’t buy any wine as I didn’t find anything I liked.
    I noticed the regional wine sections in Supermarkets and bought a couple of bottles. There is such a huge amount of choice! I probably should look for a good wine shop. I agree, you can pay more but I like the advice and the encouragement to try something different. All the better if I can then find it cheaper in the supermarket.
    Actually, I haven’t asked for help in the supermarket when shopping but maybe I should? I have never noticed anyone to ask...

I wouldn't bother asking for advice. Start with what I've mentioned and get a decent wine book.
    Supermarkets will have anything local pretty much worth having.
    When we were trying on spec we bought within a price range e.g. about €6-8 would be ok. 8-12 would be comparable with say €20 here.
    You'll soon find wines you like and some you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I wouldn't bother asking for advice. Start with what I've mentioned and get a decent wine book. Supermarkets will have anything local pretty much worth having. When we were trying on spec we bought within a price range e.g. about €6-8 would be ok. 8-12 would be comparable with say €20 here. You'll soon find wines you like and some you love.

Yes, you won't go far wrong in the supermarkets in wine producing areas. They cater mostly for locals who know their stuff.

That said, if you are somewhere like Saumur, it is fun to visit some of the producers and sample the atmosphere as well as their wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Another vote here for Maison Bouvet Ladubay and Louis de Grenelle in Samur. It's a lovely region.
    We've run out of our stock of sparkling red, has anyone sourced similar here in Ireland.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Quazzie wrote: »
    Which Airport?

Nantes

Thanks, what’s the online excess insurances

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

https://www.carhireexcess.ie (there are other sites as well)

the hire companies insurance usually has a high excess of €750 - €1000 which you are on the hook for if there's any damage (and supposedly staff are on commission to find damage and charge for it). The excess insurance will refund you if you get stung for this.

You an also get Super CDW cover directly from the hire company which has no excess, it adds a lot to the cost of the rental, but has the advantage that you don't have to spend time checking the car when you pick up and drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Just be aware that any damage excess needs to be paid to the hire company and reclaimed off the car hire excess, not sure that would be worth the hassle for 50quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Just a thing with not taking out the insurance with car hire.
    You will need 1000-2000e credit limit LEFT on your credit card as car hire will put a hold on your credit card until you return the car.
    Just take plenty of pictures of outside and inside of the car and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

bren2002 wrote: »
    Just be aware that any damage excess needs to be paid to the hire company and reclaimed off the car hire excess, not sure that would be worth the hassle for 50quid.

This is something to remember. If the excess is €1000 - €1500 you will have to pay this straight away off your card if there is damage. Do you really want the hassle of arguing over a scratch.

It is great piece of mind to drop off the car and just go to the terminal, without waiting for someone to check for a scratch. It is really handy if you have to drop off the car before the car rental opens. You can just leave the key somewhere in the car, wherever they tell you.

Do you also need the hassle then on your return of chasing the excess insurance company for that money - filling in forms and taking up time on your return. Not worth the hassle for me.

But I guess if you rent a lot during the year it may have value.

murt101 wrote: »
    Another vote here for Maison Bouvet Ladubay and Louis de Grenelle in Samur. It's a lovely region.
    We've run out of our stock of sparkling red, has anyone sourced similar here in Ireland.?

You would rarely see them on sale here but could be guarranteed that they would be way overpriced
    Offhand, I can't recall where though (did see some years ago)

the Super Cover from the hire company can be very expensive, and may still not cover everything:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-was-charged-more-than-900-for-scuff-marks-on-wheels-expats-renting-cars-on-trips-home-warn-of-insurance-issues-37598619.html

€50 excess insurance covers you for the year, so if you are planning to hire a car a few time over the year, it's going to be a lot cheaper than taking out the Super Cover each time (and yes obviously you need to have sufficient credit card limit etc).

Just a reminder that if you're hiring a car, check it thoroughly for any marks or damage when you first see it and get pictures.
    Make sure that these are noted in any docs you receive from the hire company. Otherwise you could end up paying for the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

bren2002 wrote: »

Its very easy to claim and very quick. 2 years ago we were charge a certain amount for damage with Avis that we didn't do.
    Took Avis two weeks to put it through my credit card, we claim it back within 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

First Up wrote: »
    If you are going to Saumur I recommend Ackerman. Excellent in every respect.

Make sure you check out the Tank Museum in Saumur as well. http://www.museedesblindes.fr/en/

Back to wine I'd also recommend Louis de Grenelle as well but the Sparkling red didn't do it for me but their Cremant more than made up for it ;)

BTW has anyone sailed on the WB Yeats yet? Any thoughts or views on it?

The missus was in the dog house with her family at home cause we didn't go over at Christmas, we're heading over at Easter so I bit the bullet and booked IF again eventhough I was still pissed at the mess they made of last year.

It sailed into Dublin on the 20th December and I see it listed for booking to the UK on the 25th of January when I did a quick scan. I can’t find anything online about it travelling before that, although I assume they could potentially swap something around?
    I think they are keeping quiet this time until it is absolutely certain to set sail!

Ninesell wrote: »
    It sailed into Dublin on the 20th December and I see it listed for booking to the UK on the 25th of January when I did a quick scan. I can’t find anything online about it travelling before that, although I assume they could potentially swap something around?
    I think they are keeping quiet this time until it is absolutely certain to set sail!

Fair enough for some reason I thought it had taken passengers already. I'll hold my breathe until the 25th then :D

gandalf wrote: »
    Fair enough for some reason I thought it had taken passengers already. I'll hold my breathe until the 25th then :D

it sailed from the shipyard to Cherbourg, then Rosslare then Dublin. It's been sitting alongside the Eastlink Bridge for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

loyatemu wrote: »
    it sailed from the shipyard to Cherbourg, then Rosslare then Dublin. It's been sitting alongside the Eastlink Bridge for the last couple of weeks.

WB Yeats is supposed to be in service from this Sunday, replacing Ulysees. Then switching to the second Holyhead link Mon-Sun on the 25th Jan until April when it will swap with Epsilon onto Cherbourg for the summer season.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    WB Yeats is supposed to be in service from this Sunday, replacing Ulysees. Then switching to the second Holyhead link Mon-Sun on the 25th Jan until April when it will swap with Epsilon onto Cherbourg for the summer season.

any word yet on what's happening to the Oscar Wilde?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Currently on the Dublin - Holyhead route. Mr. CheerLouth was on it on Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Providing cover for Ulysees/Epsilon/Isle Of Inismore for the rest of this month. After that safe assumption it's gone from Irish Ferries.

Most likely already agreement for sale but not confirmed yet to whom/when.

Advertisement