Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

Has anyone been to altomincio or sanguli..looking at booking with Eurocamp. Does anyone know if you book direct is there better accommodation??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've seen our accommodation price up by 300 odd euro and Ferry price up around 200 for same dates/campsite as last year in August. Will have to continue shopping round.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Flying into Nice airport at the end of May for 2 weeks. Looking for some recommendations for campsites in the area. Ideally not too far from a beach and with decent facilities, preferably not a very big campsite. 2 adults and 2 children (4.5 and 2.5), thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

crunchie1 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to altomincio or sanguli..looking at booking with Eurocamp. Does anyone know if you book direct is there better accommodation??
    Thanks
    been to Altomincio and the kids (then 7 and 8) loved it.
    Booked euro camp and that worked out good. Dedicated checkin, brought stuff to the home with an electric cart, came around regularily to check all was ok.
    We had 1 breakage of a cup or glass or something and they were grand with it. No deposit either which other operators look for, as far as I know.
    We are travelling in June again and this time with the owners of the site, so will see how that works out.
    As for facilities, the main pool is a lagoon so only a foot deep but with blow up rings and whatnot its great craic. We cooked for ourselves nearly always so cant really comment on the restaurants.
    Having a car there is useful, but even then, theres a village a 15min walk away along the river with massive shop, so if youve a rucksack you could easily go there and do a decent shop. Theres also bike hire at a few euro per hour if you were in a rush. A car is good for day trips, but if your kids are mad for the water like ours were then they are perfectly happy just flaking about on the slides all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Flying into Nice airport at the end of May for 2 weeks. Looking for some recommendations for campsites in the area. Ideally not too far from a beach and with decent facilities, preferably not a very big campsite. 2 adults and 2 children (4.5 and 2.5), thanks.

Campsites near Nice airport (from Eurocamp website):

This one is small and only 7km away, so short taxi ride (furthest from beach though)
    https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/rivieraandprovence/rv078-green-park/ataglance.html

Only 20km away and small too
    https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/rivieraandprovence/rv062-saint-louis/ataglance.html

Slightly further away but smaller again:
    https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/rivieraandprovence/rv025-camping-cote-mer/ataglance.html

Furthest away (57km) but heard good reports on this one:
    https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/rivieraandprovence/rv014-la-baume/ataglance.html

Other campsites showing when searching for "campsites near Nice"
    https://www.vacansoleil.co.uk/search-2018/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5ZLyj8Lj3wIVxuF3Ch2zcgMOEAAYBCAAEgK95PD_BwE

https://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/choose_your_campsite/by_town/nice

• Advertisement

been to Altomincio and the kids (then 7 and 8) loved it.
    Booked euro camp and that worked out good. Dedicated checkin, brought stuff to the home with an electric cart, came around regularily to check all was ok.
    We had 1 breakage of a cup or glass or something and they were grand with it. No deposit either which other operators look for, as far as I know.
    We are travelling in June again and this time with the owners of the site, so will see how that works out.
    As for facilities, the main pool is a lagoon so only a foot deep but with blow up rings and whatnot its great craic. We cooked for ourselves nearly always so cant really comment on the restaurants.
    Having a car there is useful, but even then, theres a village a 15min walk away along the river with massive shop, so if youve a rucksack you could easily go there and do a decent shop. Theres also bike hire at a few euro per hour if you were in a rush. A car is good for day trips, but if your kids are mad for the water like ours were then they are perfectly happy just flaking about on the slides all day.

Thanks so much for the info..another question..Are the mosquitoes a problem! All that seems to be left for my dates are classics..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Has anyone on here ever used capfun.co.uk to book campsites? Just came across them on a google search and the sites seem decent enough.

Was looking at Camping Le Grand Large in Brittany if anyone has any experience of either that or the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Has anyone been in Port de Plaissance?
    We were in Les Mouettes last year which was super and nice and close for our baby so this been a Yelloh! Village it should be good
    The area around Benedot looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

ftm2008 wrote: »
    We were in Les Mouettes last year which was super and nice and close for our baby so this been a Yelloh! Village it should be good

We stayed there 3 years ago. It's a nice campsite and the village and area is very nice. Accommodation was good and there is an indoor heated swimming pool which was great as we were there in May. The beach is a bit of a walk maybe 15 away if you have young children. Food onsite is decent and can get takeaway. There's a decent supermarket a 3 or 4 min walk away and a boulangerie even closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thanks so much for the info..another question..Are the mosquitoes a problem! All that seems to be left for my dates are classics..
    in the daytime, no probs at all at all. In the evening, not too bad.
    At night they are plentiful enough but standard mozzie spray is enough to keep them away and allow you to enjoy a few beers and some wine on the terrace. The kids entertainment in the evening is by the wee stream near the pools, but funnily the mozzies werent too bad even by there at night.

Eurocamps standard "classic compact" waggons are not near the water so are pretty ok.
    Theres 2 locations for the standard waggons, one a quiet corner (quiet wrt. other campers, theres a road behind which has traffic in the day but fairly dead at night) barely 5 min from the pools, another which is referred to as the annex on the booking system and its beyond the reception and a good 10min+ walk to the pools- we were in a normal "classic compact" wagon which on the booking system didnt have an "annex" mentioned after the wagon type.

Just looking at the system, it says on the generic Eurocamp description that a BBQ is available where permitted, but just to help anyone thinking of going, in Altomincio all wagons have a gas BBQ as standard. (wee tip if you do go, bring some steel wool from home to give it a scrub now and again!! They clean it between visitors but it does get grubby after a while)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

cgc5483 wrote: »
    We stayed there 3 years ago. It's a nice campsite and the village and area is very nice. Accommodation was good and there is an indoor heated swimming pool which was great as we were there in May. The beach is a bit of a walk maybe 15 away if you have young children. Food onsite is decent and can get takeaway. There's a decent supermarket a 3 or 4 min walk away and a boulangerie even closer.
    We stayed there two years ago, very nice campsite and as previous poster mentioned all the main points.
    The carrefour is within walking distance and beach/town is close by.

I would get a location a bit away from the bar, we found it a bit noisy as we were close to the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Fly drive question

Those of you who have done the fly and drive option. When did you book fares ? Booked eurocamp on the Black Friday offer and was looking at Ryanair at the time. Flights were about €550 at the time -2 adults &,1 child - looked yesterday and same flights gone to over €720. Looking to fly into Carcassonne or Rejus, don't mind if it's Aer Lingus or Ryanair. Do we book now or a wait a while and see ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

We're going to Le Brasilia this summer. I'd appreciate recommendations about things to do, restaurants etc in the area. We'll be hiring a car so can travel a good bit in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

Anyone planning on booking Irish Ferries. The 10% discount is supposed to be finished this Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Have been too benodet twice, once in yelloh and once in sunelia,both really nice. Benodet is lovely,really nice beach and some nice restaurants.

Hi, we're going to book la chapelle. Any reviews? Is it expensive day to day, beers , water,pizza etc! Has anyone hired bikes, is it reasonable? Also is the cycle track smooth, kids want to bring scooters but might just rent bikes?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Jamemid wrote: »
    Have been too benodet twice, once in yelloh and once in sunelia,both really nice. Benodet is lovely,really nice beach and some nice restaurants.
    Thanks looking at St Gilles .. seems a better location on the map and excellent reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Thanks looking at St Gilles .. seems a better location on the map and excellent reviews

Yeah would be my favourite of the two. Great for younger kids and a beach right across the road.

also has anyone travelled with lifestyle ..are they superior to eurocamp?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

Hi Again, Been looking into some more sites and came across Les Brunelles and Camping Club La Trianon (a couple more on the list too - La Littoral, Sunelia la Fief, and possibly Benodet). The prices are fantastic for my dates for both these sites, around (€50 per night for 4*). Any experience with either of them? I checked TripAdvisor and the overall rating looks great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

When they say "barbecues allowed:(type : gas. - Rental prices : 39€/week 69€/2 weeks 89€/3 weeks)", does that typically mean you can bring your own(charcoal) barbecue or do you have to rent off them?

Prefer the charcoal barbecues here that's why I ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We were there last year, and going back this year. It's a nice, little place. Benodet is lovely and beach is dead handy.
    Perfect for us :)
    Will probably try go a little further south next year

When they say "barbecues allowed:(type : gas. - Rental prices : 39€/week 69€/2 weeks 89€/3 weeks)", does that typically mean you can bring your own(charcoal) barbecue or do you have to rent off them?

Prefer the charcoal barbecues here that's why I ask...

I'd say gas bbq only, based on the wording you supplied. Any camp site I've been to has a ban on charcoal bbqs.

Only criticism we had with Les Ecureils, and appreciate its a very small one, is the toddler pool is hidden a corner at the back of the pool area. While this does have some benefits for shade it did get a little chilly at times which meant the kids weren’t as keen on staying in the water. But a lovely quiet resort all the same.

Have it narrowed down to Les Ecureils(Jard sur Mer) or Les Dauphines Bleu up in St. Hilaire.
    What's the evening entertainment like in Les Ecureils? Two kids,7 and 3. It says music 4 nights but is it live shows or a radio blaring in the corner? TIA

Dónal wrote: »
    I'd say gas bbq only, based on the wording you supplied. Any camp site I've been to has a ban on charcoal bbqs.

Thanks. I copied and pasted that from their site. Sent them a message to be sure,but it's really to see how good quick they are to reply too.. Sunday morning litmus test:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

also has anyone travelled with lifestyle ..are they superior to eurocamp?
    Thanks

I've used lifestyle for 10 years now.
    Best company as far as I'm concerned.
    Just booked castell montgri this morning for 18 nights with lifestyle.
    Tenth year in a row all with lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ninesell

I used Lifestyle holidays in El Delfin Verde. The mobile was spotlessly clean. The pitches were tighter in general for all companies in that park, probably similar for all sites in the region but I didn’t find it affected our stay.
    We also used them in La Croix du Vieux Pont. This had a massive private pitch but was probably not to the impeccably high standard of cleaning of the other site.
    Both handsdown beat the Eurocamp mobile in La Rive where the floor had clearly not even been swept. It was sandy and sticky and still had items under the bed from the previous customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Have it narrowed down to Les Ecureils(Jard sur Mer) or Les Dauphines Bleu up in St. Hilaire.
    What's the evening entertainment like in Les Ecureils? Two kids,7 and 3. It says music 4 nights but is it live shows or a radio blaring in the corner? TIA

I think this is different campsite. My post was in relation to a discussion about Le Clarys Plage and Les Ecureils, both between St Giles Croix De Vie and St Jean de Monts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Anyone ever book using the sun holidays vouchers (the newspaper)? looking at a week in France at with the vouchers it comes in very cheap but worried that accommodation could be awful.

• Advertisement

I think this is different campsite. My post was in relation to a discussion about Le Clarys Plage and Les Ecureils, both between St Giles Croix De Vie and St Jean de Monts.

Ah sorry, I put in Les Ecureils into the search bar and ended up misquoting you.

Advertisement