Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Ah sorry, I put in Les Ecureils into the search bar and ended up misquoting you.

In fairness I'd imagine the entertainment is the same all over. A dodgy French singer singing in English. There was a children's magician one night - it was alright, a bit drawn out. I don't think the entertainment in the bar in the evening should be your deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Any suggestions on how to pass 2 nights traveling from Cherbourg to Carnac?

We’ve already done Bayeux, a lot of WW2, Mont St Michel and Dinan.

Is Tours worth a visit? Brest?

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ellee wrote:

Depends on the age group and time of year. If its kids and high summer I'd stick to the coast.

Tours is interesting enough for adults but not for kids.

Forget Brest - a port city bombed to bits in WW2 and rebuilt lacking any atmosphere. Plus weather out on Finistere is notoriously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First Up wrote: »
    Depends on the age group and time of year. If its kids and high summer I'd stick to the coast.

Tours is interesting enough for adults but not for kids.

Forget Brest - a port city bombed to bits in WW2 and rebuilt lacking any atmosphere. Plus weather out on Finistere is notoriously bad.

Brest has a fantastic aquarium: http://www.oceanopolis.co.uk/

Rennes is supposed to be nice, we've only ever driven around it but planning to visit this year.

If you're into history Caen has some interesting Norman stuff (William the Conquerers castle etc) as does Nantes, which also has the cool Machines de L'īle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

campo wrote: »
    Anyone ever book using the sun holidays vouchers (the newspaper)? looking at a week in France at with the vouchers it comes in very cheap but worried that accommodation could be awful.

We once used cheap vouchers from the newspaper for a holiday in Tenerife.
    Buried in the small print was that we had to spend one of the 6 days being shown time share property.
    We got a laid back sales agent who wasn't too pushed, but back in the boiler room, there was bells being run every time one of the other (usually Russian) punters signed up another €100k.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    Brest has a fantastic aquarium: http://www.oceanopolis.co.uk/

Rennes is supposed to be nice, we've only ever driven around it but planning to visit this year.

If you're into history Caen has some interesting Norman stuff (William the Conquerers castle etc) as does Nantes, which also has the cool Machines de L'īle

Kids will be 8 and 10 and traveling in August. Thanks for the thoughts guys... husband keen on Brest for some reason, possibly French navy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

ellee wrote: »
    Kids will be 8 and 10 and traveling in August. Thanks for the thoughts guys... husband keen on Brest for some reason, possibly French navy!

Might be just the name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    We were there last year, and going back this year. It's a nice, little place. Benodet is lovely and beach is dead handy.
    Perfect for us :)
    Will probably try go a little further south next year

We just booked Camping Du Letty in Benedet. You can walk into town along the coast. We were there last year, had a ball.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ks44 wrote: »
    Anyone planning on booking Irish Ferries. The 10% discount is supposed to be finished this Tuesday.
    Is there a code for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

no. It is applied to bookings. ends 15/01.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

It'll come up when u go through the booking process. It did for me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Stay away from Brest it's a bland hole.

Concarneau is a good place for a day visit. I also believe there's a festival there in August. Quimper is also good for a few hours.

Locronon is a really cool artisan Village that would take up half a day. Mightened be the most popular place to visit for the kids.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MorganIRL wrote: »
    It'll come up when u go through the booking process. It did for me anyways.
    Thanks.
    The other thing I noted was that the pre-discount price differed depending on whether I used Tesco tokens or not. For those using Tesco tokens, the discount does not apply.

Also booked using Eurocamp so staying in Saumur and Daglan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

Hi, You can use Tesco vouchers and get the discount if you phone them. I had to specifically ask though - it wasn’t offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When they say "barbecues allowed:(type : gas. - Rental prices : 39€/week 69€/2 weeks 89€/3 weeks)", does that typically mean you can bring your own(charcoal) barbecue or do you have to rent off them?

Prefer the charcoal barbecues here that's why I ask...

Just emai them.

I’ve brought my kettle bbq to many sites, I’d say it’s only occasionally charcoal bbq are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tia

That’s a 4hr car journey, I wouldn’t do a stopover, just go straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Tia

we do Roscoff to Carnac in 2-2.5 hours, not sure how much further Cherbourg is from Roscoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

_Brian wrote: »
    Just emai them.

I’ve brought my kettle bbq to many sites, I’d say it’s only occasionally charcoal bbq are not allowed.

I did, still no reply. I have a beer keg I use as a bbq I'd bring but this is the first site we've booked with this set up. It'd be nice if I could bring my own but not a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Tia

I'd go direct. It's doable. Also on a completely different matter, There's a farm out the road from Carnac on the left hand side that produces it's own cider. It's absolutely gorgeous! All I remember is seeing a rickety old sign on the side of the road saying "cidre". It's up a rough lane and a bit of a ramshackle place but definitely worth it!

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s a 4hr car journey, I wouldn’t do a stopover, just go straight.

Oh it's totally doable in one trip! We're not daft biggrin.png But we're landing in Cherbourg on Wednesday and campsite is only booked from Friday. So 2 days to kill rather than worrying about journey times.

We've always liked a few extra days tacked on, but are rather running out of (obvious) things to do. As husband said it's all medieval villages or WW2...

Did some googling and saw Fougeres recommended (castle AND village). Or area around Morlaix looks nice.I did think about going across to Versailles but I don't think we have enough time for that level of detour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

Fougeres has a nice castle but not really much else. I would recommend the old town in Concarneau and Quimper also.

Auray is close to Carnac too and is well worth a visit. Make sure you go to the river.

There is also an aquarium in Vannes but be sure to look at opening times if you do go

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Anyone stayed in Les Charmette recently? It seems really large - best pitches?

webpal wrote: »
    Fougeres has a nice castle but not really much else. I would recommend the old town in Concarneau and Quimper also.

Auray is close to Carnac too and is well worth a visit. Make sure you go to the river.

There is also an aquarium in Vannes but be sure to look at opening times if you do go

We stayed in benodet one year so already visited concarneau and quimper. But thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Went there for 3 years. PM me if any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Are the reclining seats on Irish Ferries suitable for the trip to France? We used a 4 berth cabin for a family of 6 two years ago and it was a squeeze, with everybody two years older it's not going to work so that's why I ask. We don't want to be split between two cabins. We didn't get much sleep back then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

We haven’t used the reclining seats on the OW on a trip to France but as the sailing will now be on the new WBY, their comfort might be a question answered better by those who’ll be on it’s Irish Sea crossings which begin before the switch to the French route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Are the reclining seats on Irish Ferries suitable for the trip to France? We used a 4 berth cabin for a family of 6 two years ago and it was a squeeze, with everybody two years older it's not going to work so that's why I ask. We don't want to be split between two cabins. We didn't get much sleep back then anyway.
    If you want to be all in the same cabin then consider the stena ferry which has 6 person cabins.

As for the Irish ferries ferry to France, that’s being ran this year by a brand new ferry, the WB Yeats, which is going into service in a week or 2 for the first time, so nobody can give a personal view on the quality of the reclining seats as no passengers have yet used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Even with reclining seats available on the Oscar Wilde, you always saw seasoned travellers quickly claim a spot along the walls of the "reclining seat" room.
    Many had a blow-up mattress as well as a sleeping bag.
    Never did it myself, so don't know how much sleep you'd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The comfort of the seats is one thing, but sharing a room with 20(?) others and all the coming and going that entails? I don't think you'd sleep well.

We've gone with 2 cabins the last couple of years since the kids got too big to share beds - it costs more obviously but in the context of the whole holiday it's not a huge amount extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Yes, going back this year for the 4th time. Best siblu site there is. Kids love it. Best pitches would be in the circles, if you have a map of the site. Very spacious, with mostly private pitches.

Advertisement