Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Compensation -
    The passenger is entitled to a minimum level of compensation of 25% of the ticket price
    paid by the passenger, for that part of the affected journey, if their passenger service is
    delayed for at least:

1 hour for a journey of duration 4 hours;
    2 hours for a journey of duration between 4 and 8 hours;
    3 hours for a journey of duration between 8 and 24 hours; or
    6 hours for a journey of duration of over 24 hours.

If the delay exceeds double the time set out, the compensation shall be 50% of the
    ticket price paid by the passenger.
    The ferry or cruise operator must pay compensation
    within 1 month of the submission of a substantiated claim for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We thinking of going through England this year and doing lego land and Harry Potter on the way, can't decide on a campsite in France though, don't want to drive more then 5hrs

Domaine Des ormes looks good but not near a beach

I've read somewhere (possibly a Facebook group I think) that the pool in Domaine Des Ormes is currently being renovated and might not re-open until July

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I've read somewhere (possibly a Facebook group I think) that the pool in Domaine Des Ormes is currently being renovated and might not re-open until July

That's true. We're off to France in June ourselves for what will be our first time on such a trip. We'd more or less decided on Domaine Des Ormes due to reviews and other reports being so good, but then we heard that about the pool (and I think a few other facilities might be undergoing refurbishment too?), so we decided we'd better forget it.

A colleague in work recommended Domaine de Litteau instead, after he was on a family trip there last year. Only an hour from Cherbourg, and all reviews seem pretty positive too. Anybody here know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Irish Ferries taking this to court to avoid paying their customers expenses. Comical PR.

spockety wrote: »
    Compensation -
    The passenger is entitled to a minimum level of compensation of 25% of the ticket price
    paid by the passenger, for that part of the affected journey, if their passenger service is
    delayed for at least:

1 hour for a journey of duration 4 hours;
    2 hours for a journey of duration between 4 and 8 hours;
    3 hours for a journey of duration between 8 and 24 hours; or
    6 hours for a journey of duration of over 24 hours.

If the delay exceeds double the time set out, the compensation shall be 50% of the
    ticket price paid by the passenger.
    The ferry or cruise operator must pay compensation
    within 1 month of the submission of a substantiated claim for compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

Stena offering 25% off

https://www.stenaline.ie/supervalu

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    The Stena Line Terms of Business together with these special conditions apply to all bookings and travel:
    Save 25% applies to new Economy, Flexi or Premium motorist fares
    Valid for travel on the Dublin – Holyhead, Rosslare – Fishguard & Rosslare – Cherbourg routes.
    Travel until 18 December 2019.
    Must be booked by 23.00hrs, 17 February 2019 and at least 48 hours in advance of travel.
    Includes vans, but excludes freight, motorcycles and foot passengers.
    Premium is not available on the Rosslare – Cherbourg route.
    This offer is not available in conjunction with any other offers or promotions.
    Any discounts or points given are based on the fare before applying any fees and dues.
    €15 service fee applies to non-web bookings.
    Subject to availability.
    The discount given will be deducted prior to the SECA environmental charge being applied.
    Stena Line reserves the right to withdraw or change this offer at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jason987456214

Just booked 2 weeks in mid June to Carnac (La Grand Metairie).

Will be travelling from Cork to Roscoff with 2 boys (aged 4 and 6) - really looking forward to it.

We went to Wales last year on a similar expedition but wanted to push the boat out a bit this year in every sense of the word :-)

Anyway, will be lurking here and posting noob questions from time to time in the coming weeks so thanks in advance

We will be there from 3rd to 13th 3 kids 7, 5 & 3, we did have a price of 295 but got it down to €227 today with new code, very cheap for 10 nites.

We also did Wales last summer, great spot but it was quite expensive we taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Just booked 2 weeks in mid June to Carnac (La Grand Metairie).

Will be travelling from Cork to Roscoff with 2 boys (aged 4 and 6) - really looking forward to it.

We went to Wales last year on a similar expedition but wanted to push the boat out a bit this year in every sense of the word :-)

Anyway, will be lurking here and posting noob questions from time to time in the coming weeks so thanks in advance

Stayed there myself last year. Loved the accommodation there, especially as most pitches are set under trees so good shade in the heat. Got busier in the weekends with locals coming and going but a good busy. Pricey in the bar and chipper, but where isn't?

Pool was brilliant and my 6 and 2 year olds got great guns out of it. We booked direct and didn't do the kids clubs as other years we felt they were overrated so no feedback there.

Expect to drive a bit, its 2 km to Carnac. Good Super U which we used. Got 2 great days out of Le Petit Delires loads of outdoor slides and play zones. Le Floret Adrenaline for zip lining for a day will whack you out, it did me anyway!

Evenings are quiet and we found not great for children's entertainment but by then they were pretty tired anyway and they got to play with other French and irish kids nearby.

Loved it there biggest drawback- no phone coverage. Have 3 or 4 sims for broadband routers too but all worked very poorly. Normally that's what I'd want but needed to stay in touch back home.

We will be there from 3rd to 13th 3 kids 7, 5 & 3, we did have a price of 295 but got it down to €227 today with new code, very cheap for 10 nites.

We also did Wales last summer, great spot but it was quite expensive we taught.

227 for 10 nights in total? Camping I assume...

227 for 10 nights in total? Camping I assume...

Thanks for info on camp.

No that's in an espirt mobile with deck.

Ferry was 644 out of Dublin so in all it's a decent price for the family

• Advertisement

Thanks for info on camp.

That's great value I think we paid 900 last year... 12 nights in July :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

webpal wrote: »
    Stena offering 25% off

https://www.stenaline.ie/supervalu

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    The Stena Line Terms of Business together with these special conditions apply to all bookings and travel:
    Save 25% applies to new Economy, Flexi or Premium motorist fares
    Valid for travel on the Dublin – Holyhead, Rosslare – Fishguard & Rosslare – Cherbourg routes.
    Travel until 18 December 2019.
    Must be booked by 23.00hrs, 17 February 2019 and at least 48 hours in advance of travel.
    Includes vans, but excludes freight, motorcycles and foot passengers.
    Premium is not available on the Rosslare – Cherbourg route.
    This offer is not available in conjunction with any other offers or promotions.
    Any discounts or points given are based on the fare before applying any fees and dues.
    €15 service fee applies to non-web bookings.
    Subject to availability.
    The discount given will be deducted prior to the SECA environmental charge being applied.
    Stena Line reserves the right to withdraw or change this offer at any time.

Another "offer" which doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I booked my dates with Stena back in November using (IIRC) the 10% "offer" code that was available at the time. Total including an outside cabin = €963.

Just tried the 25% discount on the same dates with the less expensive inside cabin option (as the outside cabins are all booked) and it comes to €1,063!!

So a 25% discount costs €100 more than the identical booking with a 10% discount???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks for info on camp.

What time of year?? My brother and his family looking for somewhere around that budget

Gavlor wrote: »
    What time of year?? My brother and his family looking for somewhere around that budget

first 2 weeks of june, it does effect school but sure they dont be doing much in last few weeks

kindalen wrote: »
    Irish Ferries taking this to court to avoid paying their customers expenses. Comical PR.

nonetheless as things stand they are on the hook for compensation and have to pay within 2 months, time to send them in a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

loyatemu wrote: »
    nonetheless as things stand they are on the hook for compensation and have to pay within 2 months, time to send them in a claim.

Is there a Facebook/social media group of people effected by this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The Indo said in an article today that anyone who accepted a full refund could not then seek this compensation.

Hmm.

The Indo said in an article today that anyone who accepted a full refund could not then seek this compensation.

Hmm.

In my limited experience when party A offers to settle a claim made by party B it's usually on a "full and final settlement" basis meaning if party B accepts the offer that's the end of the matter and they are precluded from making any further claims in relation to the same issue as it has been permanently settled.

Hmm.

we rescheduled to the following day on the OW - I've submitted a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

first 2 weeks of june, it does effect school but sure they dont be doing much in last few weeks

End of year testing, school tour, sports day
    September is the month to go on holidays

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

we rescheduled to the following day on the OW - I've submitted a claim.

How did you submit the claim? I emailed them to ask about how I claim compensation and basically got a PFO - they said they couldn't comment on it because it was being appealed.

Toots wrote: »
    How did you submit the claim? I emailed them to ask about how I claim compensation and basically got a PFO - they said they couldn't comment on it because it was being appealed.

I found the email they sent me last year to cancel the sailing and replied to it, pointing out the NTA judgement and listing the inconveniences caused.

They replied with the same stock PFO you probably got, but they now have my claim so we'll see.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    End of year testing, school tour, sports day
    September is the month to go on holidays

only in national school so nothing like that yet! will be back in time for tour & sports day ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Irish Ferries are refusing to honour the ruling, just received this mail back to my compensation claim.

Dear XXXX,

BOOKING REFERENCE XXXXXX

Many thanks for your email.

Irish Ferries are disappointed with the issuing of notices by the NTA relating to cancellations from the delayed arrival of the W.B Yeats, due to extraordinary circumstances beyond our control. We do not believe we have infringed EU regulation and will appeal the NTA’s decision in the courts, so therefore we cannot comment further at this time.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for this disruption.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX XXXXX
    Customer Services Manager

Irish Ferries are refusing to honour the ruling, just received this mail back to my compensation claim.

Dear XXXX,

BOOKING REFERENCE XXXXXX

Many thanks for your email.

Irish Ferries are disappointed with the issuing of notices by the NTA relating to cancellations from the delayed arrival of the W.B Yeats, due to extraordinary circumstances beyond our control. We do not believe we have infringed EU regulation and will appeal the NTA’s decision in the courts, so therefore we cannot comment further at this time.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for this disruption.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX XXXXX
    Customer Services Manager

In fairness to them if they have the right to appeal the NTA decision and believe they will (or could be) successful then they aren't going to make compensation payments before the appeals process is exhausted. No company would do so. How silly would you look to shareholders trying to explain how you successfully appealed the NTA decision but paid out €Xm of their money in compensation anyway!!

I don't think their letter says they will refuse to honour the NTA's ruling if they fail in their appeal so your claim hasn't been denied, it'll still be in process but will have to wait until the appeal is decided.

FWIW I don't personally think they will be successful in their appeal. IMO they may well be able to demonstrate that the late arrival of the WB Lates was outside their control but that won't excuse them for not having had contingency plans such as an option to lease a substitute ferry in place to ensure passengers weren't negatively impacted.

In fairness to them if they have the right to appeal the NTA decision and believe they will (or could be) successful then they aren't going to make compensation payments before the appeals process is exhausted. No company would do so. How silly would you look to shareholders trying to explain how you successfully appealed the NTA decision but paid out €Xm of their money in compensation anyway!!

I don't think their letter says they will refuse to honour the NTA's ruling if they fail in their appeal so your claim hasn't been denied, it'll still be in process but will have to wait until the appeal is decided.

FWIW I don't personally think they will be successful in their appeal. IMO they may well be able to demonstrate that the late arrival of the WB Lates was outside their control but that won't excuse them for not having had contingency plans such as an option to lease a substitute ferry in place to ensure passengers weren't negatively impacted.

exactly - they sold tickets for a boat that hadn't been delivered yet. They can say they expected it to be delivered on time, but they can't claim they weren't aware it was a risk. They obviously assumed the EU rules didn't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Anyone any advice on booking a 7 seater from Nantes airport please ?. Flights are booked with Aer Lingus but I haven't booked the car yet. Should I wait until closer to the holiday at the end of June. We usually go by ferry but not this year so it's a long time since I did car hire. Anyone experience with Nantes specifially ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Anyone any advice on booking a 7 seater from Nantes airport please ?. Flights are booked with Aer Lingus but I haven't booked the car yet. Should I wait until closer to the holiday at the end of June. We usually go by ferry but not this year so it's a long time since I did car hire. Anyone experience with Nantes specifially ?

Aer Lingus and other airlines usually offer fly/drive packages. Would have thought you'd have an offer by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i am in the same situation this year and from the same airport. I was watching the prices and they have jumped by 150 euro in the last few days, I checked Monday and today so I think I am just going to pre book now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GeneralSherman

i am in the same situation this year and from the same airport. I was watching the prices and they have jumped by 150 euro in the last few days, I checked Monday and today so I think I am just going to pre book now

I think I will hold my nerve for now;) What's the best deal you got ?

Advertisement