Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I think I will hold my nerve for now;) What's the best deal you got ?

460 for passat or 720 for a 7 seater

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Maybe clear your cookies or try another device for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think I will hold my nerve for now;) What's the best deal you got ?

You can book and cancel without losing any money.

We booked ours last December, have never seen prices dropping closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Can I ask how far ahead you booked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

So after deciding we weren't going to france this year ... i've changed my mind, and planning on going to normandy last week in august, first week in sept.

Is the Siblu campsite up there any good? And also, while I presume the last week in august, all activites, entertainment, etc will be run - will the place nearly shut down first week in sept? or will it just ease off in business, but still be ok? We went to a yelloh village campsite in brittany early june one year, and none of the pools were heated because the campsite wasn't full - so i'm wondering if this would happen in sept also?

Any suggestions of a great site for 11,9,6 year old also appreciated :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

still frustrated with no holiday booked. Considering the Ferry to Spain. August with 2 teens and 1 8 year old. Up for the adventure but need some suggestions on where to stay that suits boys who require a busy activity driven good pool resort with nearby beach and beach sports. Not at all demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Any ideas on campsites in Brittany, Normandy, or vendee, just can't decide, need to book something soon, kids age 8 and 11

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Went to le litterol last year ,kids are around same age and they loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Any ideas on campsites in Brittany, Normandy, or vendee, just can't decide, need to book something soon, kids age 8 and 11

I finally decided and booked a couple of days ago. Had it down to Le Littoral, camping club Le Trianon, and camping club les brunelles. Went for Le Trianon in the end - price won as they had a 30% discount. The Ms Vacances discounts end today I think - might be worth a look. They are very French sites though so if your children are interested in the clubs it might not be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Definitely advise heading to Vendée, better chance of getting decent weather. Given the age the kids are I think Clarys Plage would be ideal. The pool facility there would perfect for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jamemid wrote: »
    Any ideas on campsites in Brittany, Normandy, or vendee, just can't decide, need to book something soon, kids age 8 and 11[/quote)
    Went to le litterol last year ,kids are around same age and they loved it

We always find that Normandy feels colder at the end of the summer than at the start of it.
    I would also recommend further south for a few degrees more and possibly better weather

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

We stayed in Le Clarys Plage last year and found it great - clean, plenty to do offsite and great pool for kids. Weather was fantastic. Pm me if you want any further information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Like others have mentioned, head a bit south towards the Vendee. Le Clarys Plage is a great site, very popular. 100 yards away is Aculpolco, another good site that recently upgraded their pool complex very well. Nearer St. Jean de Monts are the sister sites Le Bois Masson and across the road, Le Bois Dormant. The second one being the quieter of the two. They have always proven to be popular down the years. I reckon any of those 4 should do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Have booked le clarys plage for this yr, heading back to vendee region after spending The last 3 in the Loire valley region. Vendee region around le clarys-plage is definitely a more touristy region, Les eccuriels is a nice small site, cud be cheaper than the le clarys-plage (only picked here cause of discount eurocamps offered b4 Xmas). My kids 8-6-2 yrs so much the same as urs.

westgolf wrote: »
    Can I ask how far ahead you booked ?

heading in mid july

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

heading in mid july

Cheers, thanks. Was looking for car hire for end June/beginning of July and was seeing big differences in quotes. Will attack it at to the weekend and see.

westgolf wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks. Was looking for car hire for end June/beginning of July and was seeing big differences in quotes. Will attack it at to the weekend and see.

europcar seem to be cheapest, but they have mileage limit on theirs, I have always used hertz in the past and find them good, they are 150 euro dearer in like for like car, plus ive never used europcar

has anyone any experience of the Peugeot 308 SW,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

europcar seem to be cheapest, but they have mileage limit on theirs, I have always used hertz in the past and find them good, they are 150 euro dearer in like for like car, plus ive never used europcar

has anyone any experience of the Peugeot 308 SW,

Yep in mallorca about 6 years ago - so an older model, but it was a big car and very good for munching motorway miles (if the diesel model)

Yep in mallorca about 6 years ago - so an older model, but it was a big car and very good for munching motorway miles (if the diesel model)

thanks, yes diesel

2 adults 3 kids and a few bags should fit

The SW we had could also be a 7 seater or a massive boot, the additional seats were removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

I downloaded the kayak app and it seems to be set on US dollars. I put in my dates for Bordeaux in late june early july and I can get a Peugeot 208 or similar for 2weeks for €293 . Now here's the best bit , it includes full insurance or as they put it 'no deductible'. Its $231 with basic or $335 for full cover. That is the cheapest car hire I've come across with full insurance and its with europcar. At the end I change my country from USA to Ireland and it goes in fine. I haven't pulled the trigger yet , anyone have any thoughts on why it's so much cheaper to book thru an american based app.

I downloaded the kayak app and it seems to be set on US dollars. I put in my dates for Bordeaux in late june early july and I can get a Peugeot 208 or similar for 2weeks for €293 . Now here's the best bit , it includes full insurance or as they put it 'no deductible'. Its $231 with basic or $335 for full cover. That is the cheapest car hire I've come across with full insurance and its with europcar. At the end I change my country from USA to Ireland and it goes in fine. I haven't pulled the trigger yet , anyone have any thoughts on why it's so much cheaper to book thru an american based app.

208 is a lot smaller than a 308 SW though

When we first got our car (Skoda Octavia) it came with 3 years or x,000 km breakdown cover, both in Ireland and in most European countries we drive in.
    Perhaps because we signed up for the initial 3 year servicing package.

That's since expired, but the last time I got it serviced, the Service Manager said that because we were still getting it serviced with them, that the cover applied for the next 12 months/15,000km post service.
    That has since been confirmed by Skoda Ireland.
    The cover is fairly basic, but the main thing is it will get you off the motorway and pay some alternative transport costs in the worst case scenarios when abroad.
    Might be of interest to some others on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's cheaper because you are on the Kayak US website. All Americans when booking cars in Europe get CDW insurance as standard through their credit card. Because of this all prices on the US site in dollars are for rental only not including CDW which is mandatory, If you book it when you turn up with an Irish License and paying with an Irish Credit card, they won't give you that price and will instead issue you the price including CDW which will be what you would see now if you book through Kayak.ie

How do you manage sleeping arrangements for toddlers? Irish Ferries told me they could provide bed guards but it’s not looking likely now. Toddlers are too big for cots and I’m the only one who can bedshare. Three in a bunk is not pleasant :( We also tried putting them on the floor and they managed to roll off the air bed and under the bunk! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

ONY wrote: »
    How do you manage sleeping arrangements for toddlers? Irish Ferries told me they could provide bed guards but it’s not looking likely now. Toddlers are too big for cots and I’m the only one who can bedshare. Three in a bunk is not pleasant :( We also tried putting them on the floor and they managed to roll off the air bed and under the bunk! ��

Whats the total size of your party and the respective ages of the kids?

Whats the total size of your party and the respective ages of the kids?

2 adults plus two three year olds (will have just turned 3 when we travel). Ended up topping and railing them last year with me on the outside of the bunk - they had a great sleep - I didn’t :( At the moment I have a four bunk booked on the WB Lates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

ONY wrote: »
    2 adults plus two three year olds (will have just turned 3 when we travel). Ended up topping and railing them last year with me on the outside of the bunk - they had a great sleep - I didn’t :( At the moment I have a four bunk booked on the WB Lates.

I've only had one glass of wine so far this evening but I'm not seeing the problem. Two adults in the up top bunks and two kids in the bottom bunks??

If you're worried about them falling the 18 inches from the bunk to the ground you can lay spare bed linen and pillows etc on the narrow ground between the bunks but in my experience they are unlikely to fall out as although there is only a small lip on the edge of the bunks it's sufficient to stop kids rolling off.
    Even if they do fall out I don't think much harm will be done and if they do it once they'll quickly learn (as we all do) that going over the edge of the bed whilst asleep isn't a good idea!!

Apologies if I'm being a bit old school :o

Put them in the top bunk and then strap them in with that really strong elastic Irish Ferries use to keep the bedlinen in place when the beds are against the wall.

:)

• Advertisement

I've only had one glass of wine so far this evening but I'm not seeing the problem. Two adults in the up top bunks and two kids in the bottom bunks??

If you're worried about them falling the 18 inches from the bunk to the ground you can lay spare bed linen and pillows etc on the narrow ground between the bunks but in my experience they are unlikely to fall out as although there is only a small lip on the edge of the bunks it's sufficient to stop kids rolling off.
    Even if they do fall out I don't think much harm will be done and if they do it once they'll quickly learn (as we all do) that going over the edge of the bed whilst asleep isn't a good idea!!

Apologies if I'm being a bit old school :o

No not at all :) It’s not the hurting themselves I’m worried about but the falling out, waking up, crying bit, which means I wake up too. I was just curious how others manage. Obviously last year they were a lot smaller too so was a bit more of a concern. I’m sure it’ll be grand this year.

Advertisement