Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having been in various campsites around France over the last decade or two, I've never heard of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I do find it an odd commercial decision by IF to increase the capacity of their Ireland - France ferry whilst decreasing the market it can serve by which I mean those who need to go via Cherbourg will still be served by the WB Lates but many going to the north west coast or even the Vendee won't use Cherbourg and will go Cork - Roscoff with BF or not go at all.

Roscoff and Cherbourg are about the same distance from the Vendee and points further south (though I suppose the earlier arrival in Roscoff with BF is an advantage if you have a long drive ahead)

We're going to Carnac this year, going via Cherbourg is about an hour's extra driving in France but going via Cork would add 2 hours extra in Ireland and BF's service is less frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It all depends where your located in Ireland.

We’ve been over and back 16years now on BF, Stenna and If into both Cherbourg and Roscoff.

Cork for us is a 5hr drive with the caravan and rosslare 4hr drive.

Will be at Dublin port in little more than 1 hr

So were already 3hrs saved each way by using Dublin.

For returning Rosslare has always been nice to park up and walk down the town for the afternoon. Cherbourg doesn’t offer the same option really.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Having been in various campsites around France over the last decade or two, I've never heard of this!

First, I put a heading so people can see what we are talking about.

Anyway this is a common rule, usually shown on the notice boards governing rules of the pool .

I have seen it enforced on some of the sites where there are lifeguards/pool attendants.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Possible daft question (and possibly me falling for some office banter :o) --

Someone said to me the other day that bermuda/board style shorts are outlawed from the campsite pools in France - is there any truth in this at all?? :confused::confused:

It’s enforced at maybe 80% of campsites, skin tight fitting swimwear for guys. Have seen sites selling Bermuda style shorts in their shop and not allowing them in the pool. I just presume it’s enforced now rather than be asked leave the pool. Don’t really have the physique for them but who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

I will miss Roscoff.....the buzz in thetown centre....Restaurants hopping(mainly) with happy Irish waiting for ferry.

Cherbourg is not nice, nowhere to park ,no port centre....just get in Q.

We started going to Roscoff in the early 80s. At that stage, we had to count money before a final pizza...sometimes it was chips from the van on the pier!

It was only Brittany Ferries then and now will be the same.

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s enforced at maybe 80% of campsites, skin tight fitting swimwear for guys. Have seen sites selling Bermuda style shorts in their shop and not allowing them in the pool. I just presume it’s enforced now rather than be asked leave the pool. Don’t really have the physique for them but who cares.

IME it's less than 50% of sites where that rule is in place and enforced, but you might as well bring a pair anyway, they don't exactly take up space :)

you can get the tight hipster-type shorts if you don't want to wear traditional budgie-smuggler Speedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    and also prevents men wearing board shorts all day long, getting them dusty and sweaty and then launching into the pool with them.

and the benefit of this one are a bit dubious also since a lot of people, presumably domestiques, still spend all day in the speedos.
    I'm more inclined to think that the real reason for this is either
    • Middle aged French dads think they look good in them
    • They know the British don't like to wear them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Have been to 4 different sites in France. I've always worn this type of shorts and never had anyone say anything...

https://i1.adis.ws/i/jpl/jd_036110_a?qlt=80&w=600&h=765&v=1&fmt=webp

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sceach16 wrote: »
    First, I put a heading so people can see what we are talking about.

Anyway this is a common rule, usually shown on the notice boards governing rules of the pool .

I have seen it enforced on some of the sites where there are lifeguards/pool attendants.
    Headings are not visible on the touch site!
    Like I say, I've never seen it and I've read the rules at each site I stay in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Have been to 4 different sites in France. I've always worn this type of shorts and never had anyone say anything...

This is what my Husband normally wears.

We have stayed at Sites that say Speedo type swimwear but it has only been enforced on 1 site we stayed at.

ifElseThen wrote: »

Initially I'd have worn these type pof shorts but numerous times asked to leave pools.. Just dont bother any more..

Use something like this for last 10 years.
    https://www.clothestopose.co.uk/ekmps/shops/clarke/images/swimming-trunks-navy-gold-386-p[ekm]320x320[ekm].jpg

swimming-trunks-navy-gold-386-p[ekm]320x320[ekm].jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

That's not the image I had of you Brian 😂

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Have to admit I don't look that slim myself in those sort of shorts either.

But in my experience, it's absolutely a rule in France that you need to wear something like that. You might get away with the longer-style shorts for a while all right, but if they do happen to pull you up on it somewhere and insist you wear something more 'French' instead, all they're likely to have for sale themselves is the real budgie-smuggler type.

Something like this is what I bought ahead of my last time in France and what I'll be bringing again this year:

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-swimming-boxers-mens-351096?colcode=35109603

dzer2 wrote: »
    That's not the image I had of you Brian ��

Yea.
    The internet isn’t quite ready for an actual photo of me in swim gear :(

josip wrote: »
    • They know the British don't like to wear them

some British pools have banned Speedos because they deem them obscene (or possibly just to annoy the continental types)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

SusanC10 wrote:
    Don't BF have another Boat - the Connemara which is more basic ?

They do but the Pont Aven is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

loyatemu wrote: »
    some British pools have banned Speedos because they deem them obscene (or possibly just to annoy the continental types)

Or Aussies, from the country that gave the world Speedos.

I also reluctantly go for the shorts style tighties when in France.
    But the boys miss their freedom :(

Freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Cartman78 wrote:
    Someone said to me the other day that bermuda/board style shorts are outlawed from the campsite pools in France - is there any truth in this at all??

This is true in many places. All six sites I've been to have this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Just got confirmation from IF, no soft play area. See attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Someone said to me the other day that bermuda/board style shorts are outlawed from the campsite pools in France - is there any truth in this at all?? :confused::confused:

I was told a ban is for two reasons. The first being the amount of water absorbed by the fabric which means more is needed to keep the pools filled which means more expense. The second is the amount of detergents released from the fabric which may alter the water’s chemical balance which means more time & money to reregulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Baybay wrote: »
    I was told a ban is for two reasons. The first being the amount of water absorbed by the fabric which means more is needed to keep the pools filled which means more expense. The second is the amount of detergents released from the fabric which may alter the water’s chemical balance which means more time & money to reregulate.

I've been told its more to do wirh the fact that folks are less likely to change out of board shorts and go round restaurants and bars in them after being in the pool wetting everything etc and or spending the day in board shorts picking up sweat and other dirt then hitting the pool in them.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Been to 6 or 7 different campsites over the years, always saw those notices regarding Speedos only. Never took a tack of notice, wore normal shorts, never once been spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Only place I have found it to be enforced has being the south of France, Vendee region and Loire areas haven't enforced it. But I use the short types ones used in a pic above wherever we go, just doing what the locals do. Cud never feel comfortable in the budgie smugglers ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Siblu sites allows shorts in the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Only place I have found it to be enforced has being the south of France, Vendee region and Loire areas haven't enforced it. But I use the short types ones used in a pic above wherever we go, just doing what the locals do. Cud never feel comfortable in the budgie smugglers ;-)

Le Littoral enforces it last year when I was there, seen the lifeguard approach a few people in shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Siblu sites allows shorts in the pool

Siblu La Reserve don't. No problems in 2016 but in 2017 and 2018 they enforced the rule much to the dismay of a few Irish/Brits as they had to drive to town or Decathlon to buy compliant shorts.

Loads of people wore them under the "normal" shorts we typically like to wear and would simply slip off the "normal" shorts just before jumping in the pool and pop them back on straight afterwards.

Personally I don't care, I'd wear a Borat mankini if I had to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

season-13-the-simpsons-13x15-l2Jefa2H2rBpGfGDu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

When does the WB Yates start on the Dublin-Cherbourg Route ?

Would love some feedback before we go in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When does the WB Yates start on the Dublin-Cherbourg Route ?

Would love some feedback before we go in June.
    it was to start in the run up to paddys weekend, so next week

Advertisement