Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

gandalf wrote: »
    Looks like we're sailing around in circles outside Dublin port. Tbh it's pretty poor showing by Irish Ferries given how long everyone has been on the boat.

Berth is probably in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

kippy wrote: »
    Berth is probably in use.

Well that's the excuse we were given earlier. We were also told we would dock at 2230 yet we're still circling with no update for two hours. As I said a very poor showing from Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thread in the weather forum about someone else on board.
    Long tough trip!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057975794

Finally docked and waiting to get off.

And we're off the boat. IF have a lot of work to do with customer Comms in situations like this with the WBY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Came back on Friday on the WBY.

First, it got us back in one piece and reasonably shipshape so it did the basics well. Mind you,we went to our cabin and slept most of the night and then lay doggo til after 2 the next day. This probably helped but nonetheless, the ship was way better in a storm than the OW. My main memory of previous storms was a thump of a wave and then the ship slapping down with a bang. There was virtuallly none of this....there was a general unsteadiness caused by swell but none of the lurching of the OW and other ferries. Overall, for basics it did the job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sceach16 wrote:
    First, it got us back in one piece and reasonably shipshape so it did the basics well. Mind you,we went to our cabin and slept most of the night and then lay doggo til after 2 the next day. This probably helped but nonetheless, the ship was way better in a storm than the OW. My main memory of previous storms was a thump of a wave and then the ship slapping down with a bang. There was virtuallly none of this....there was a general unsteadiness caused by swell but none of the lurching of the OW and other ferries. Overall, for basics it did the job well.

That's good to hear.

Now for the bits I was not impressed with.

We were boarded before 5 pm local and told would be delayed and given meal vouchers at check in.

On the Boat we were told we would sail at 10 pm. We did. We sailed for 26 hours before docking ( a sailing that normally takes 18 hours). So we had a total of 31 hours on the boat-- 5 hours waiting and 8 hours sailing--on top of the scheduled journey time.

The meal vouchers were about as petty, parsimonious and ungracious as they could be. A main restricted to selected mains available in the brasserie---curried chicken/stew/salad....no fish and chips or burger or pizza---and a coffee and fruit was not good enough. Why the voucher did not have a value to be spent in any restaurant is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

sceach16 wrote: »
    The meal vouchers were about as petty, parsimonious and ungracious as they could be. A main restricted to selected mains available in the brasserie---curried chicken/stew/salad....no fish and chips or burger or pizza---and a coffee and fruit was not good enough. Why the voucher did not have a value to be spent in any restaurant is beyond me.

Could it be that the ship had a finite amount of provisions on board, either fresh or frozen, to cater for a large amount of people over an indefinite time period?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Was anyone else on the Pont Aven sailing to Cork from Roscoff on Friday night? It left on time at 8.30 but had to shelter in calmer waters at Falmouth Bay for 6 hours overnight to let the waves die down. Have to say it was a very rough crossing. Arrived in cork at 3:30pm instead of 9.30 am. I was glad to get back to cork but had I known it was going to be that bad I wouldn’t have got on.

Was actually concerned at one with the ‘thud’ and vibration through the ship from the waves. Our bags etc went flying at one stage across the cabin.

Was the worst sailing I was ever on and I’ve been on a good few ferries at this stage.

• Advertisement

Baybay wrote: »
    Could it be that the ship had a finite amount of provisions on board, either fresh or frozen, to cater for a large amount of people over an indefinite time period?

No. They were happily selling other mains at 6 pm Saturday. The restriction was in place from the start. It was (IMO) cheapskating.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Was on the same sailing as the posters above. It was rough, but the ship was pretty stable given the weather and sea state. Luckily we had our caravan in tow so when the check-in staff explained the situation we just raided the cupboards for anything snack-like to keep the kids fed. It was a long time to be on the boat, and I consider it good training for when we eventually take the BF boat to St Nazaire! I felt there was a serious lack of communication with the passengers as the day wore on. Wife checked with reception at 10 pm to see if we were still due to land at 10.30. The staff confirmed that was the case, but at 10.20 or so, just after we got the kids up from bed, the captain announced that it would be 11.30 ish before we landed.

The boat itself - it's fine, doesn't feel as spacious or as salubrious as the OW. The kids play area was good and kept my 4 and 8 year old entertained on the way back for a few hours. It wasn't there on the way out so perhaps they (Irish Ferries) are listening. The cabins are fine, comfy beds, good clean bathroom and shower, lots of hot water and space for a few bags. Didn't turn on the TV so can't comment on that. Usual ferry banging and clattering noises when in bed, thought that might have been toned down a bit on a new boat. The ramp to get on from Dublin was pretty steep and short and a long twin axle caravan in front of us scraped it hard. Our shorter single axle was fine.

Food - we ate it from the mid ship Boylan's Brasserie on both out and return trips. It was canteen food served with a (half) smile! Not high quality, but not the worst either. I have dim recollections of the Stena Horizon and it being about on par with that. It will fill you up but you won't want more!

The deck layout is utter rubbish - no screened seating, no benches, just a few very uncomfortable picnic tables on one side of the outside deck. I would even rate the Stena Horizon as having a better deck area and again, my recollections of that are that it was poor. They clearly don't want you to be outside when you could be inside spending money! OW was far superior in this regard. To get out to the promenade area you have to run the gauntlet of smokers outside the door, which was stinking and gross every time.

The kids entertainment was the same as the OW, same magician and two entertainers. Did a good job keeping the younger kids entertained for a while.

In my opinion I would be looking closer at the Stena service if the times / prices suit. Dublin / Rosslare are much the same journey time for us, so other factors will come into play for future decisions. To date we have been prepared to pay a premium for the Irish Ferries boat (OW vs Horizon) but with the new boat that premium has definitely reduced. The WBY is definitely not worth a serious premium over the other options.

Thanks - useful feedback.

Good to hear the cabins are nice; otherwise it sounds like a step down from the OW.

What's the Brittany Ferries service to St Nazaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

That's to Santander.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

First Up wrote: »
    What's the Brittany Ferries service to St Nazaire?

It's a discontinued service by LD Lines which ran between Cork and Santander with a stop off in St Nazaire. It only ran in 2014 and was heavily subsidised (EU regional grants etc) resulting in a one way fare of €168 for a 4X4 with roof box etc + 4 passengers and a window cabin for 4.

They used a ship very similar to the Stena Horizon called the Norman Atlantic.

See https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/new-ferry-route-to-link-cork-and-spain-from-april-1.3357346

The Norman Atlantic later went on fire whilst serving in the Adriatic and IIRC was either scrapped or had to have a total refurb - https://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/fire-ferry-had-served-rosslare-to-spain-route-30871169.html

It's a discontinued service by LD Lines which ran between Cork and Santander with a stop off in St Nazaire.

I know about that. The poster mentioned Brittany Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

oinkely wrote: »
    Was on the same sailing as the posters above. It was rough, but the ship was pretty stable given the weather and sea state. Luckily we had our caravan in tow so when the check-in staff explained the situation we just raided the cupboards for anything snack-like to keep the kids fed. It was a long time to be on the boat, and I consider it good training for when we eventually take the BF boat to St Nazaire!

C'mon oinkely, tell us about this BF ferry to St Nazaire!! Please please please let it be true. It'd save me at least 4 hours driving :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know this is the ferry thread but has anybody done ferry to holy head, drive through UK and tunnel to France?

I normally do the ferry to France but we decided to try the drive this time around. Interested if anybody has any stories or experience to share.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote:
    I know this is the ferry thread but has anybody done ferry to holy head, drive through UK and tunnel to France?

Did it once and I wouldn't be tempted again unless I had reason to stop (and overnight) in the UK. Very long drive; going all the way to France in one day is an endurance test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

We did landbridge twice, just to confirm how much it wasn’t for us. Too much traffic, too many delays, too many roadworks & a long journey in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Drumpot wrote: »

I normally do the ferry to France but we decided to try the drive this time around. Interested if anybody has any stories or experience to share.

We do it every year.
    Sail from Rosslare to Pembrooke/Fishguard on the evening sailing.
    Drive through the night to Dover one stop for coffee and toilet roughly 6 hrs. All the kids normally sleep. Then over to Calais France on an early ferry and drive to the campsite. Last yr the drive on the french side was 5 hrs. Bit of an ordeal but with plenty of snacks and drinks we only needed one stop on the way down. The savings on doing this compared to sailing to France is over 70%.

Booked the foot passengers over and back with the deal in March for 6 euro each.
    Got the car on last week 168 return.
    Ferry over 141 pound.
    Last yr tolls were 86 euro in France.

Total for 7 return to France approx 550 euro fuel included.
    Over 1600 on ferry.

Happy Driving make sure the aircon is working before you go.

dzer2 wrote:
    We do it every year. Sail from Rosslare to Pembrooke/Fishguard on the evening sailing. Drive through the night to Dover one stop for coffee and toilet roughly 6 hrs. All the kids normally sleep. Then over to Calais France on an early ferry and drive to the campsite. Last yr the drive on the french side was 5 hrs. Bit of an ordeal but with plenty of snacks and drinks we only needed one stop on the way down. The savings on doing this compared to sailing to France is over 70%.

dzer2 wrote:
    We do it every year. Sail from Rosslare to Pembrooke/Fishguard on the evening sailing. Drive through the night to Dover one stop for coffee and toilet roughly 6 hrs. All the kids normally sleep. Then over to Calais France on an early ferry and drive to the campsite. Last yr the drive on the french side was 5 hrs. Bit of an ordeal but with plenty of snacks and drinks we only needed one stop on the way down. The savings on doing this compared to sailing to France is over 70%.

Bloody hell. Fair dues for having the stamina but I wouldn't put myself or my family through that, never mind risk driving without a night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We used to do Holyhead to Dover then onto Calais - we always preferred being on the road - did Hull to Zeebrugge one time but that ferry takes 12 hours through all the locks - it wasn't until we tried Rosslare to Roscoff that we realised it was actually much better relaxing onboard instead of the longer drive and we became lazy and never went down through Wales and England again!

It also worked out much cheaper going from Rosslare as the Holyhead/Dub got dearer. If you prefer dry land the drive isn't as bad as it seems at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I did this last year. Dub to Holyhead, drove Holyhead to Birmingham (4 hrs) (family, stayed overnight). Birmingham to Dover (4 hrs) ferry to Calais then 2.5 hours to campsite in Paris. I have never been so tired when driving the Calais to Paris leg. We did save a fortune but even with the overnight stop was a serious test of endurance and I only had a shortish drive to Paris. No idea how some people do landbridge and go all the way down to the south of France! It makes me so jealous of people living in the south of England, you’d be over to France all of the time. The boat from Dover to Calais is like a bus service and costs buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for all the responses everybody, seems like a mixed bag.

Our plan is Dublin to Holyhead, drive to folkstone and stay night.

Next morning Eurotunnel to Calais (haven’t booked this yet) and then 6 hour drive south to our destination.

Coming back we plan to stay near Calais for two days then euro tunnel to houkyhead and home on same day (back in Dublin 11 I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

We have camped close to Paris about an hour away good spot if you want to go to DLP or just into the city. Its north of Paris about 1 hr 30 min from Calais

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

We usually go landbridge any years where we're not sure about getting July and August off.
    The prices remain the same, what changes are the available slots on the Chunnel / Holyhead Ferry.
    One year we were a bit restricted due to our return trip coinciding with the end of the UK hols and a lot of return traffic.

We usually overnight somewhere in the UK, either to visit friends, Legoland or Longleat.
    On the way out, what works well for us is to Chunnel in the evening, getting into France around 10/11 and overnighting at a prebooked overnight motorway hotel an hour into France.
    When we Landbridge, the west coast of France and Pyrenees are out unfortunately, so we get our mountains in the Alps and Lido di Jesolo for the sea before pushing on.
    Some years, if going via Calais we might take the A7 in one long day to reach the Med.
    In our case we're heading east which isn't great for campsites, but in your case I guess you'd be looking for beaches and you've got great choices over Cap D'Agde way.
    Get a decent set of audio books for the car that the kids haven't heard before and you'll be able to cover long distances, especially using the French motorways that aren't so busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

I see there was a fire on the BF Pont Aven ship last night. Nobody hurt thank god.

Hopefully it’s not serious and the ship gets back in service for Cork to Roscoff soon. I wonder if Saturday’s rough crossing was anything to do with the cause of the fire?

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/live-fire-ferry-plymouth-santander-2809807

Advertisement