Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

dobad wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what the weather is generally like in north France in May, were thinking of taking the ferry across, doing a campsite holiday. We've a toddler so not too far from port. But just wondering weather wise? Any advice would be great

Pick your intended location and pop it into this website http://www.holiday-weather.com/roscoff/averages/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

^^ Siblu have both traditional ovens and microwaves in all the mobile homes I've used with the over the last 5-6 years. They used to have flexible changeover days but have now standardised on Saturday as the changeover day.

They are flexible up to the end of June, but not in peak season

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    +1, great to take a wander down Wexford main street, have some food, and buy the last English Language newspaper for a fortnight
    Have a mooch is some of the good bookshops and charity shops for a few extra crime novels in case the weather turns bad.
    As its five to six hours drive for us to Rosslare, twice we came down the night before and stayed at St. Margret's Beach campsite for a relaxed sailing day.
    (ever since I missed the ferry one year. Every man from Meath to Rosslare was cutting Barley and on the road with tractors)

Your making me home sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Why is that? I love the whole excitement of loading up the car, checking and double checking we've got the passports and tickets etc and then stopping in Culletons Bar or the Kilrane Inn 2 hours before sailing for a nice bit of food and a pre holiday pint after which we saunter onto the boat. I love that part of the trip!!

I am really looking forward to that part too :) We used to take the Ferry to France when I was a kid (Cork-Roscoff) but this will be our first year doing it ourselves and we are going Rosslare-Cherbourg.

Can I ask which of Culletons or the Kilrane Inn you prefer ? We have decided to have our main meal before the Ferry.

Also is there a checklist of items you need to bring for the car while driving in France ie Warning Triangle etc ?

Thanks in advance

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    (ever since I missed the ferry one year. Every man from Meath to Rosslare was cutting Barley and on the road with tractors)

4 years ago I stupidly misread the sailing time as the boarding time and blissfully ignorant pulled into the Topaz in Drinagh about 15km from the port to fill up. As I was paying the assistant commented that I was fairly laid back with my timing. I said "sure it's not even boarding for 15 minutes" (being the hour before sailing) to which he said "I think you'll find it's sailing in 15 minutes" :eek:

Talk about panic stations. Back into the car like a lunatic, one part of the brain focused on covering the 15km as quickly as possible and the other half thinking, ****, if we miss this we'll have to wait two days for the next one, could we have a nice couple of days in Rosslare??

The 7 year old was in floods of tears as I drove straight past the check in booth straight up to the loading ramp where a serious looking bloke with a walkie talkie was after getting told I had driven straight through the check in booths. He wasn't impressed (naturally enough!!) and said if we wanted to get on we needed to drive slowly back to the booth, apologise to Mary (made up name) who I scared the bejaysus out of when I flew past, get our documents checked and then drive slowly back to him.

I crawled back to the booth, took the bollocking I was due, ate some humble pie and returned to the ramp. We were literally the last vehicle on the boat. As soon as we were on they started closing the door.

Twenty minutes later we were all sitting in the bar a bit shell shocked :o

We haven't been late for a ferry since. We've turned up at Roscoff for a sailing from Cherbourg but at least we were on time. That's another story all together ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

We're actually doing much the same, heading over on the friday on the OW to roscoff, head as far as la rochelle on the saturday and then on for perpignan / la sirene on sunday.

coming home on the OW as well, but we'll come back via cognac and split the day again. TBH the only bit I'm not looking forward to is the drive to rosslare.

How far is the actual journey from roscoff to la sirene??? Its defo somewhere I'd like to try out, but would one wk be enough to do this in, especially when it would be our first time in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Gasoil = Diesel if you have never driven in France before - handy to know!

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to that part too :) We used to take the Ferry to France when I was a kid (Cork-Roscoff) but this will be our first year doing it ourselves and we are going Rosslare-Cherbourg.

Can I ask which of Culletons or the Kilrane Inn you prefer ? We have decided to have our main meal before the Ferry.

Also is there a checklist of items you need to bring for the car while driving in France ie Warning Triangle etc ?

Thanks in advance

List of things to bring in your car in France - http://about-france.com/driving-checklist.htm (I would add European breakdown assistanc ewhich you can get from the AA or https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership who are cheaper and better)

We've eaten in both Culletons and The Kilrane Inn. Both are fine. Culletons probably has the better menu and nicer atmosphere but we were happy with both.

dobad wrote: »
    How far is the actual journey from roscoff to la sirene??? Its defo somewhere I'd like to try out, but would one wk be enough to do this in, especially when it would be our first time in France?

La Sirene is +/- 1,150 KM's from either Roscoff or Cherbourg. That's a major journey which most people would split into two days. Way too long for a one week holiday in my opinion unless you really like driving for some reason!!!

List of things to bring in your car in France - http://about-france.com/driving-checklist.htm (I would add European breakdown assistanc ewhich you can get from the AA or https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership who are cheaper and better)

We've eaten in both Culletons and The Kilrane Inn. Both are fine. Culletons probably has the better menu and nicer atmosphere but we were happy with both.

And if your really early, there is a bowling alley at Drimagh roundabout and a nice place there for cake and tea.

We stopped at baileys in Enniscorthy the last time, its ok. But we just get lunch at home firs tin Dublin and then head down, leave around 1230 ish.

• Advertisement

La Sirene is +/- 1,150 KM's from either Roscoff or Cherbourg. That's a major journey which most people would split into two days. Way too long for a one week holiday in my opinion unless you really like driving for some reason!!!

Thanks v much, yeah its too far would defo need to split. Ideally maybe 10 day holiday. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

SusanC10 wrote: »

Thanks in advance

We have a mobile home at Kilrane and know both of these pubs - I think the food is better in the Kilrane Inn.

I'm getting nostalgic reading this thread as I used to take the ferry to France twice a year, but have moved on to other things. Totally agree that the journey to the ferry is all part of the holiday. Enjoy!

The holiday starts when the kids are in the car with their headphones and dvd players are on. Then we leave our drive way:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The holiday starts when the kids are in the car with their headphones and dvd players are on. Then we leave our drive way:D

Not sure if the clan appreciate it but my routine is to blast this out when I start the car...

Incidentally, wehn we arrive back in ireland, this gets played...

^^ Love it.

This is what blasts out of our speakers as we pull out of the driveway

For no particular reason my now 11 year old used to sing along like mad to this song as a little nipper and one year when she was 6 I made a few compilation CD's to keep me entertained as I drove and the rest of them slept or watched movies. This was the first song on the first CD and as we departed the house I stuck it on and it's been the song we play as we head off to France every year since.

Sad or what :o

I might switch over to the Undertones this year, it seems way more appropriate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

^^ Love it.

This is what blasts out of our speakers as we pull out of the driveway

For no particular reason my now 11 year old used to sing along like mad to this song as a little nipper and one year when she was 6 I made a few compilation CD's to keep me entertained as I drove and the rest of them slept or watched movies. This was the first song on the first CD and as we departed the house I stuck it on and it's been the song we play as we head off to France every year since.

Sad or what :o

Nah, its great.

Our first little lady was just starting to talk around the time of one of our trips to france, for some reason she started calling the pool, ' the fwoi' i dunno where she got it, maybe because we were telling her it was cold (froid) in french, but 4 years later and we still ask her if she wants to go to 'the fwoi' when we're at the campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

You all have me envious reading your posts. I'm currently saving my Tesco vouchers (since last year!) towards summer holiday 2017. I began looking at this thread for info on destinations, ferries, prices, do's and don'ts and so on, but I'm only getting jealous reading all your lovely experiences. We have done a number of holidays to France but they've all been fly-drive. This year it's fly and taxi to Lake Garda in Italy but really my heart is in France, there are so many things to love about France. Next year's plan for early June is Rosslare to Cherboug then Domaine De Litteau, hopefully all compliments of Tesco! My husband and son are army mad and they want to do the D-day landings experience, once I have balmy evenings with plenty of Rosé that's fine by me.

Je Suis Jean and Stone Deaf 4 ever, I love reading your hints and tips thanks for your continued contributions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Booked my holliers just there - yaay
    Ardeche, here I come.
    http://www.canvasholidays.ie/france/ardeche/ce01x/camping-val-de-cantobre

(now where are my speedos)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

nirvana78 wrote: »
    I'm currently saving my Tesco vouchers (since last year!) towards summer holiday 2017.
    Me too, thought i'd get a free holiday out of it until i looked to see how many we had the other night and discovered a use by date on them. Not a big deal but glad i discovered it now and not when we went to exchange them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

webpal wrote: »
    Me too, thought i'd get a free holiday out of it until i looked to see how many we had the other night and discovered a use by date on them. Not a big deal but glad i discovered it now and not when we went to exchange them.

I'm not 100% on this as I've never used the vouchers (Brittany ferries dont accept them) but I think you can make your booking and top up with vouchers as you go.

I'm 100% open to correction on this, and Im sure you'll find an answer near the start of this thread as it was a pretty common query at the time.

Edit - had a quick check, start around post #15 and read on from there.

• Advertisement

yeah but the comment related to 2017. thanks though

Do you need your passport to book the ferry? I know you need it to travel but to actually book, do you need it. I think I'm getting a good deal with three of us ferry and acc in la clarys plage for mid May for just less than 700e!!!! But our passports are still being processed! If I didn't need them to book it I'd work away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No, just your credit card!
    Don't even need the reg. number of the actuL vehicle that will be travelling, as inputted number can be changed later.

Brilliant news thanks will proceed with booking tomorrow so. Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

I got my first lot of Tesco vouchers last November, valid for two years so working on this year's now. The way I look at it is, that's my ferry paid for. I make the family buy everything in Tesco, if we get a take away we go to Tesco for the drinks ��and so on (we live in a small town). This drives my husband mad but he'll thank me next year when I don't hit him with a big holiday bill.

Random question but is anyone else out there crazy like me? Yesterday seen the ad for Irish Ferries going to France and got really excited even though I'm not going on it till next year???

Random question but is anyone else out there crazy like me? Yesterday seen the ad for Irish Ferries going to France and got really excited even though I'm not going on it till next year???
    hmm normally I would say yes, but I'm actually looking forward to it too, cant make it this year as were off abroad for a family wedding. Still, plenty of time to research a few campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭insullation

You all have me envious reading your posts. I'm currently saving my Tesco vouchers (since last year!) towards summer holiday 2017. I began looking at this thread for info on destinations, ferries, prices, do's and don'ts and so on, but I'm only getting jealous reading all your lovely experiences. We have done a number of holidays to France but they've all been fly-drive. This year it's fly and taxi to Lake Garda in Italy but really my heart is in France, there are so many things to love about France. Next year's plan for early June is Rosslare to Cherboug then Domaine De Litteau, hopefully all compliments of Tesco! My husband and son are army mad and they want to do the D-day landings experience, once I have balmy evenings with plenty of Rosé that's fine by me.

Je Suis Jean and Stone Deaf 4 ever, I love reading your hints and tips thanks for your continued contributions.

You have to remember that neither tesco or Irish Ferries are paying for your holiday. E.g if your ferry cost 1000 and you have 1000 in travel vouchers which requires 250 euro tesco vouchers.
    In this case Irish Ferries will only get at most 250 off tesco for your trip (in fact they get a lot less). They will still make a profit on your trip. So can you imagine the profits Irish Ferries are making off the punter who pays 1000+ to travel (which many do).
    Its really the person who is pay 1000 plus that is paying for your holiday. Same principle with Ryanair....the person who paid 300 is paying for the person beside him who might have only paid 5 euro for the same product.
    Tesco are not in the business of paying for peoples holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You have to remember that neither tesco or Irish Ferries are paying for your holiday. E.g if your ferry cost 1000 and you have 1000 in travel vouchers which requires 250 euro tesco vouchers.
    In this case Irish Ferries will only get at most 250 off tesco for your trip (in fact they get a lot less). They will still make a profit on your trip. So can you imagine the profits Irish Ferries are making off the punter who pays 1000+ to travel (which many do).

I doubt Tesco are giving IF less than €250 for a €1000 fare, I expect it's somewhere in between.

€250 of clubcard points equates to €25,000 of shopping in tesco - there's plenty of profit in that for Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Im using vouchers for our ferry this year so we are not handing over any money to Irish Ferries. I have always used debit cards but changed to Tesco Credit Card this year and just pay it off when I use it over the phone using my debit card. You get points everywhere you use it not just in Tesco. Works well for me but like every credit card, you have to pay off in time to avoid high charges. Saved me €850 (included 2 cabins and family meals each way). Also got my tickets for Parc Asterix and a boat trip on the Seine :)

• Advertisement

ab4248 wrote: »
    Im using vouchers for our ferry this year so we are not handing over any money to Irish Ferries. I have always used debit cards but changed to Tesco Credit Card this year and just pay it off when I use it over the phone using my debit card. You get points everywhere you use it not just in Tesco. Works well for me but like every credit card, you have to pay off in time to avoid high charges. Saved me €850 (included 2 cabins and family meals each way). Also got my tickets for Parc Asterix and a boat trip on the Seine :)

Well done ab4248, you are a Irish Ferry extreme couponing champion!! Wish I was organised enough to get a free ferry and cabin etc.

Advertisement