Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Thanks for that review, I hope you have a lovely holiday ��

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Just wondering if anyone knows / recommend bike hire close to Le Clarys Plage?
    Heading back there in early July and thinking that it might be easier to hire bikes rather than bring them
    Any info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevo_

There's a bike rental place just outside the gates of Le Clarys Plage here

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

stevo_ wrote: »
    There's a bike rental place just outside the gates of Le Clarys Plage here

Thanks for that, any idea of prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

josip wrote: »
    Just follow the car in front of you to get out of Roscoff, it's not big.

When coming onto your first roundabout glance left, not right :)

The first roundabout in France always gets me.

When driving in Europe, look left, right up and down before edging out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Has anyone ever bought a toll tag for France? Just the reaching of passenger and not kerbing the alloys of the big kerbs are an annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

raddo wrote: »
    Thanks for that, any idea of prices?

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g196656-d671370-i199525128-Le_Clarys_Plage-Saint_Jean_de_Monts_Vendee_Pays_de_la_Loire.html
    Thats from a few years ago.
    We were there last year and while we didnt use them (we had our own) I do recall thinking they were not overly expensive.

Regarding the new ship, WB Yates, has anyone any idea of time to disembark

I suppose there is an element of luck invovled in terms of position, but I am assuming it will be faster than the good old Oscar Wilde.

We will have a touring caravan in the taller vehicles deck.

If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Regarding the new ship, WB Yates, has anyone any idea of time to disembark

I suppose there is an element of luck invovled in terms of position, but I am assuming it will be faster than the good old Oscar Wilde.

We will have a touring caravan in the taller vehicles deck.

If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it.

We were on the WBY over easter with a caravan also. As always, last on and very close to first off on both legs. We were off within 15 to 20 minutes of the 'go to your car' announcement I would say.

The kids still haven't got used to sitting at the port waiting for every other feckin vehicle to get on before us cause we have a caravan! Maybe next year it won't be so much of a surprise and a moan-fest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

raddo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows / recommend bike hire close to Le Clarys Plage?
    Heading back there in early July and thinking that it might be easier to hire bikes rather than bring them
    Any info would be great

The last two years we used Cyclo De Riez. They have two shops - one which the husband works in down beside Les Ecureils and another that the wife works in which is further up towards the water park. Found the guy very friendly to deal with. The bikes aren't as shiny as some of the other places but doesn't bother us.

Re price, I think we paid around €150 for 2 adults bikes one with a seat and one with an extension thing and 4 helmets. That was for 12 days.

http://cyclo-riez.fr/

I'll be booking in advance this year because we'll need the extension (suiveur) for both kids.

• Advertisement

oinkely wrote: »
    We were on the WBY over easter with a caravan also. As always, last on and very close to first off on both legs. We were off within 15 to 20 minutes of the 'go to your car' announcement I would say.

The kids still haven't got used to sitting at the port waiting for every other feckin vehicle to get on before us cause we have a caravan! Maybe next year it won't be so much of a surprise and a moan-fest!

Glad to hear its similar.
    I know your pain, its also the fear that the ship will fill up before you get on, especially on full sailings.

The 15-20minute disembarkation would be great this year as we have a long drive down to the Vendee (5-6 hours) in one trip with a few short stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Cartman78 wrote: »
    We're staying in Le Grand Metaire as well :D

re: Driving -

Any tips for getting out of Roscoff? Or is it straightforward?

And would you recommend stopping anywhere enroute?

Merci beaucoup ;)

We're also heading to Le Grand Metairie next month on the 15th for 8 nights,
    Thanks for all the tips can't wait, it's our 6th time going to France we absolutely love it and try to stay longer every time and we like to try a new campsite every time while also including my favourite Des Ormes and the wife's favourite Les Mouettes.
    So Le Grand Metairie is our new one this year for 8 nights then onto Des Ormes for 8 nights and finishing up in Mouettes for 7 nights.
    We normally travel by ourselves ( two adults three kids 1, 3, 7 ) but my brother in law and his family are joining us this year so it will be interesting to experience it with someone else.
    Staying with Canvas in the first two and Eurocamp I'm the last park.
    A small tip for anyone booking for next year as it's probably too late for this year is to price the polish Eurocamp site as I saved €500 compared to the Irish and UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A small tip for anyone booking for next year as it's probably too late for this year is to price the polish Eurocamp site as I saved €500 compared to the Irish and UK sites.

the German version is usually worth checking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jason987456214

We're also heading to Le Grand Metairie next month on the 15th for 8 nights,
    Thanks for all the tips can't wait, it's our 6th time going to France we absolutely love it and try to stay longer every time and we like to try a new campsite every time while also including my favourite Des Ormes and the wife's favourite Les Mouettes.
    So Le Grand Metairie is our new one this year for 8 nights then onto Des Ormes for 8 nights and finishing up in Mouettes for 7 nights.
    We normally travel by ourselves ( two adults three kids 1, 3, 7 ) but my brother in law and his family are joining us this year so it will be interesting to experience it with someone else.
    Staying with Canvas in the first two and Eurocamp I'm the last park.

we will also be there for 10 nites from June 3rd, 3 kids, driving from cherbourg tho!

I thought the Irish eurocamp was cheap enough, 227 euro for the 10 nites

hope the weather is decent!

Travelling with a 6 month old soon so curious about temperatures on board the WB Yeats - for anyone who has been on it, have temperatures at night been ok in the cabins?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dónal wrote: »
    Travelling with a 6 month old soon so curious about temperatures on board the WB Yeats - for anyone who has been on it, have temperatures at night been ok in the cabins?

if past experience is anything to go by it will be warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Hi, fifth time to France but first time doing Fly / Drive. If I buy car hire excess cover here before we go will I still have to leave a deposit or card details ? Trying to work it so that card isn't rendered useless while abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

westgolf wrote: »
    Hi, fifth time to France but first time doing Fly / Drive. If I buy car hire excess cover here before we go will I still have to leave a deposit or card details ? Trying to work it so that card isn't rendered useless while abroad.

Yes, as far as the hire company is concerned that's your own arrangement. They'll still want the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

JMNolan wrote: »
    Any idea what ship is replacing it?

No idea what's replacing it, hopefully it will be a replacement rather rather than a refund. We're not due to travel on the Pont Aven until the end of June and fingers crossed it will be sorted by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

westgolf wrote: »
    most companies require a credit card, and in case of a debit card may require you to take full insurance or might not even give you that option and just not give you a car, nor refund on any money prepaid.

Just mentioning this as when you are hinting at only having one "card", which might mean only a debit card on your bank account .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought a toll tag for France? Just the reaching of passenger and not kerbing the alloys of the big kerbs are an annoyance.

I have a bip & go tag, it certainly makes getting through the toll booths a much easier experience.
    I could not find any of the tag providers that could process payments from Ireland, most of them are able to process payments from the U.K. I arranged my tag through a friend in Belgium and the payment is taken from his account and then I pay him. Maybe the easiest way for you would be to use a U.K. Address and bank account or credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Does anybody know anything solid on this. Is it likely to just be switcheroo of boats, or is there a genuine chance of trips being cancelled?
    Due to sail from Cork on 1st June

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything solid on this. Is it likely to just be switcheroo of boats, or is there a genuine chance of trips being cancelled?
    Due to sail from Cork on 1st June

Came here to post the same question....we're almost literally in the same boat, travelling from Cork on the 8th.

Is there a precedence for this kind of thing? I'd imagine/hope that the ferry company will be moving heaven and earth to get the boat back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine/hope that the ferry company will be moving heaven and earth to get the boat back up and running.

I'm sure they are but they are at the mercy of the workload ahead of them in the shipyard, supply chain delays as parts are sourced from all over the world etc.

Whilst there is an active and very efficient on demand lease market for aircraft thus allowing airlines to literally rent an aircraft at short notice if one of their own aircraft has to be unexpectedly taken out of service I don't think such a market exists for ferry's and they are too expensive for companies to have "spares" sitting around just in case the unexpected happens.

Worst case there's cancellations, a refund and people have to re-book on IF from Dublin on the WBL or Stena from Rosslare on the Horizon or possibly do a land bridge all of which will likely involve a lot of hassle for people for whom Cork - Roscoff was the best option.

Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

I wonder would travel insurance refund the cost of the campsite if the ferry portion of the holiday was cancelled and refunded by the operator and you didn't want the hassle of having to go considerably out of your way and possibly incur extra expense via Dublin or Rosslare?

Some info added to Brittany site - https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

So far only flagging an impact to Plymouth-Roscoff route; looks like Armorique will cover the sailings and result in a slight change of timings, but still on same days.

Cork-Roscoff still says:
    All services are operating to schedule.

Which all seems positive.
    However, I just tried to log on to see if I could amend my booking or if there would be any additional info and got errors stating that the crossing no longer exists.
    Starting to get slightly concerned, but not worrying too much just yet.

10 days to go (I hope) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    looks like Armorique will cover the sailings

Pont Aven capacity - 2,400 passengers and 650 cars.

Armorique capacity - 1,500 passengers and 470 cars.

The Armorique will likely have enough capacity for the early season Cork - Roscoff sailings but given the Pont Aven is fully booked for some of the peak dates I checked out in early July its important the Pont Aven gets back into service on the indicated timescale.

54&56 wrote: »
    Pont Aven capacity - 2,400 passengers and 650 cars.

Armorique capacity - 1,500 passengers and 470 cars.

The Armorique will likely have enough capacity for the early season Cork - Roscoff sailings but given the Pont Aven is fully booked for some of the peak dates I checked out in early July its important the Pont Aven gets back into service on the indicated timescale.

Good to know.
    Hopefully Pont Aven when we'll be up and running again for peak season. If Armorique can get us through the start of June it would probably have me covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just got a letter fromchilds secondary school, the feckers are starting the 26 August.
    We aren't sailing home till the 28th!
    Great start in a new school!

Advertisement