Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just got a letter fromchilds secondary school, the feckers are starting the 26 August.
    We aren't sailing home till the 28th!
    Great start in a new school!

A lot of schools are going back circa the 26th of before (a few national schools locally I have heard at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Some info added to Brittany site - https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

So far only flagging an impact to Plymouth-Roscoff route; looks like Armorique will cover the sailings and result in a slight change of timings, but still on same days.

Cork-Roscoff still says:
    All services are operating to schedule.

Which all seems positive.
    However, I just tried to log on to see if I could amend my booking or if there would be any additional info and got errors stating that the crossing no longer exists.
    Starting to get slightly concerned, but not worrying too much just yet.

10 days to go (I hope) :)

Well I'm off supposedly THIS Saturday....and Brittany Ferries have booked our hotels as part of their hotel breaks offer.......all crossable body parts are crossed! Funny enough, these hotel breaks have to be booked over the phone, and the details were sent out by snail mail......no emails at all. So I've emailed off an enquiry anyway and the phone line is, unsurprisingly, busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Cork-Santander cancelled this Friday at least as they are taking the Connemara to deal with the France route apparently...

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Cork-Santander cancelled this Friday at least as they are taking the Connemara to deal with the France route apparently...

Out of interest, where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

most companies require a credit card, and in case of a debit card may require you to take full insurance or might not even give you that option and just not give you a car, nor refund on any money prepaid.

Just mentioning this as when you are hinting at only having one "card", which might mean only a debit card on your bank account .

Yes. Have a credit card but only use it for booking flights etc. so I don't want it tied up by the car hire company

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Out of interest, where did you see this?

I was booked on it, they rang me, then emailed me then texted me. I'm still in total shock, been planning this trip for the guts of a year!

I was booked on it, they rang me, then emailed me then texted me. I'm still in total shock, been planning this trip for the guts of a year!

Ah bummer. That's really disappointing......sorry to hear that and I hope you're well compensated and get sorted.

Ah bummer. That's really disappointing......sorry to hear that and I hope you're well compensated and get sorted.

Well all that was on offer was a refund (or a reschedule to 2 weeks time). I took an outbound refund and managed to get myself and the bow wow onto an Irish Ferries sailing to Cherbourg tomorrow - so an evening of packing and a couple of extra days driving ahead of me, argggg!

Speaking of the dog, does anyone know how the kennels work as regards water and food? Will I be able to get down to the kennel to feed him after we board at 4pm? In the morning will I be able to get to him before we dock at 11am?

Any general info re the kennel situation would be appreciated (he would have been in the cabin with me on the Brittany ferry so I hadn't researched how a kennel might work).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

...does anyone know how the kennels work as regards water and food? Will I be able to get down to the kennel to feed him after we board at 4pm? In the morning will I be able to get to him before we dock at 11am?

Any general info re the kennel situation would be appreciated...

No precise dog info but we travelled with our cat on the WB last weekend.
    On leaving your dog, you will be given times when it’s possible to gain access to the kennels to feed, visit your dog. Present yourself at reception & a staff member will accompany you & unlock. There will probably be three or four before midnight & one in the morning.
    The cat situation on the WB ended up being a bit makeshift due to a last minute move so no access to water other than what we brought. Litter & tray did end up being provided which was how it was on the OW. We’ve always provided our own cat food & bowls so I’m guessing dog owners do too.

• Advertisement

Baybay wrote: »
    No precise dog info but we travelled with our cat on the WB last weekend.
    On leaving your dog, you will be given times when it’s possible to gain access to the kennels to feed, visit your dog. Present yourself at reception & a staff member will accompany you & unlock. There will probably be three or four before midnight & one in the morning.
    The cat situation on the WB ended up being a bit makeshift due to a last minute move so no access to water other than what we brought. Litter & tray did end up being provided which was how it was on the OW. We’ve always provided our own cat food & bowls so I’m guessing dog owners do too.

Sounds grand, though his lordship is more used to a bed than a kennel so I'm sure he'll be in ribbons at the end of it either way :D

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

westgolf wrote: »
    Yes. Have a credit card but only use it for booking flights etc. so I don't want it tied up by the car hire company
    just an additional point, the amount of the deposit depends too on the company and varies massively.
    Thrifty and Budget charge massive deposits, sometimes over €2000, and they will likely insist on it being off one card which is impossible for many people leaving them stuck getting full expensive insurance.
    Enterprise also charge a high enough deposit in advance, and unlike others, they bill it properly, not just a block, and then they refund it afterwards a week after your rental ends. That means if you cross a billing period on your card, you are paying that wedge of money back or paying interest or whatever your conditions are with the card.
    Proper full service companies like Hertz on the other hand only charge a few 100 Euro deposit even if the possible excess is over 1000, and from memory only as a block not fully booked as a charge. I rented a car from Hertz in Holland last year and actually had to ask the lady if that was a mistake, as I was so used to getting billed the full excess in advance from other companies !

Sounds grand, though his lordship is more used to a bed than a kennel so I'm sure he'll be in ribbons at the end of it either way :D

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Safe travelling, Phibsboro. I hope the doggy manages OK - at least it is a shorter crossing for him, though a long drive down through France ........

I see Brittany Ferries are still claiming on their 'sailing updates' page that there is no disruption to the salings out of Cork, but on the timetable, the crossing to Spain on Friday has vanished. It is looking like the Connemara will be packed off to Roscoff after it returns from Spain tonight, to pick up the passengers booked on the Pont Aven tomorrow night. It can then do the crossing Cork to Roscoff on Saturday. That's my guess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Safe travelling, Phibsboro. I hope the doggy manages OK - at least it is a shorter crossing for him, though a long drive down through France ........

I see Brittany Ferries are still claiming on their 'sailing updates' page that there is no disruption to the salings out of Cork, but on the timetable, the crossing to Spain on Friday has vanished. It is looking like the Connemara will be packed off to Roscoff after it returns from Spain tonight, to pick up the passengers booked on the Pont Aven tomorrow night. It can then do the crossing Cork to Roscoff on Saturday. That's my guess anyway.

Surely the capacity of the Connemara isn't anywhere near enough to accommodate everyone booked on the Pont Aven?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

...his lordship is more used to a bed than a kennel so I'm sure he'll be in ribbons at the end of it either way :D

Meant to say, you can bring a blanket or something similar that he’s used to to help him settle & make him comfy.

Baybay wrote: »
    Meant to say, you can bring a blanket or something similar that he’s used to to help him settle & make him comfy.

Sounds like the sort of lad who would have a duvet and electric blanket!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fook. That's plenty of notice !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Does anyone have any previous information as to why Brittany Ferries Pont Avon has stopped sailing? Is it a problem that is likely to be resolved by the end of June? It's a major worry when theres a possibly that a holiday youve been planning all year and paying for all year might get cancelled isn't it? It's the only time my husband can get off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Does anyone have any previous information as to why Brittany Ferries Pont Avon has stopped sailing? Is it a problem that is likely to be resolved by the end of June? It's a major worry when theres a possibly that a holiday youve been planning all year and paying for all year might get cancelled isn't it? It's the only time my husband can get off too.
    Think there was a fire a few weeks ago and it is in dock for repairs. They had been using another ship to cover the sailings. This should of been announced earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

From what I read here:

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/pont-aven-will-resume-service-on-14-may/

It looks like one of the engines needs to be replaced, however this wont happen until 2020. The ship can run with 3 engines though so should be running this summer. Probably wont make it very reliable though as I'm sure if there is another engine issue ( possibly whats going on now ) it could be grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

Re: Pont Aven

Initially there was a fire that resulted in the loss of 1 of the 4 engines, the ship can work with 3, per Brittany Ferries. The engine will be replaced next year.

The latest problem is a hydraulic issue with the rudder (i think).

Theres a FB group "Brittany Ferries Ships Enthusiasts and Crew" and a poster there said 2 days ago that the Pont Aven wasn't in dry dock yet, as both births were full. It was parked alongside for 4 days at that stage awaiting repair.

I'm due to travel at the end of June and its worrying, Stena have no cabins left on the equivalent rosslare trip, the 2 kids couldn't cope with reclining seats, so I'll be looking at a landbridge if the Pont Aven doesnt sail.

From what I read here:

It looks like one of the engines needs to be replaced, however this wont happen until 2020. The ship can run with 3 engines though so should be running this summer. Probably wont make it very reliable though as I'm sure if there is another engine issue ( possibly whats going on now ) it could be grounded.
    Thanks for that link. Very helpful. It doesn't instill great confidence the fact that they said on 14th May that it could return to sailings on 3 engines and now on the 23rd May there's already a problem!

Re: Pont Aven

Initially there was a fire that resulted in the loss of 1 of the 4 engines, the ship can work with 3, per Brittany Ferries. The engine will be replaced next year.

The latest problem is a hydraulic issue with the rudder (i think).

Theres a FB group "Brittany Ferries Ships Enthusiasts and Crew" and a poster there said 2 days ago that the Pont Aven wasn't in dry dock yet, as both births were full. It was parked alongside for 4 days at that stage awaiting repair.

I'm due to travel at the end of June and its worrying, Stena have no cabins left on the equivalent rosslare trip, the 2 kids couldn't cope with reclining seats, so I'll be looking at a landbridge if the Pont Aven doesnt sail.

Oh great thank you I'll check out the FB page. Yes I have checked Irish Ferries for my dates and almost all cabins sold out. And I really don't fancy a landbridge with two young children. Hoping that this is resolved in time. We aren't having the best luck with the holiday arrangements so far - we were delayed in booking our ferry because Irish Ferries were so late in telling everyone that there would be no Rosslare - Roscoff anymore. So by the time we booked Brittany Ferries it was almost sold out and not cheap at all!

So I got through to Brittany Ferries. We're rerouted through Dublin on the WB yeats for Saturday which is fine. We're Dublin based. Plus we're getting a rebate of 115 euro. Apparently we're fine for returning through Cork. Dog being kenneled in wexford is the only issue so a quick run there before we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

So I got through to Brittany Ferries. We're rerouted through Dublin on the WB yeats for Saturday which is fine. We're Dublin based. Plus we're getting a rebate of 115 euro. Apparently we're fine for returning through Cork. Dog being kenneled in wexford is the only issue so a quick run there before we go.

So you had to contact them? Do you think from speaking with them that they had any intention of contacting you to let you know of re-route? Sailing from Cork on 15th June so wondering if I should be trying to contact them now or will it be Port Avon be sorted by them, who knows I suppose.

peter4918 wrote: »
    So you had to contact them? Do you think from speaking with them that they had any intention of contacting you to let you know of re-route? Sailing from Cork on 15th June so wondering if I should be trying to contact them now or will it be Port Avon be sorted by them, who knows I suppose.

Just after the phone call I got a text offering me a refund or the possibility of booking for a later date subject to availability. That said, this is a holiday booked entirely by phone. But yes, I only got the rerouting by phoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I am currently in France and I was due to return on Pont Aven Friday week (31st)
    I called BF in Roscoff earlier today and they confirmed that this weekend’s crossings are cancelled and they don’t yet have any confirmed information for the following weekend.
    I must say that I found the BF personnel very helpful they offered me a refund on my return leg even though it isn’t yet cancelled and this allowed me to book a single crossing with IF for the Saturday (1st June) thus removing any doubt about me getting home more or less on time, big thumbs up to BF for being proactive with this.

Newonhere wrote: »
    I am currently in France and I was due to return on Pont Aven Friday week (31st)
    I called BF in Roscoff earlier today and they confirmed that this weekend’s crossings are cancelled and they don’t yet have any confirmed information for the following weekend.
    I must say that I found the BF personnel very helpful they offered me a refund on my return leg even though it isn’t yet cancelled and this allowed me to book a single crossing with IF for the Saturday (1st June) thus removing any doubt about me getting home more or less on time, big thumbs up to BF for being proactive with this.

I must say that both with my original booking and dealing with this mess I have found the folks on the phones in Cork excellent.

I also got caught up in the WB Yeats mess last year and could not fault the Irish Ferries personnel . What a job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

23rd May 2019

Unfortunately, following investigation it was found that damage to the starboard side steering gear was more extensive than originally suspected. This has meant a longer lay-over in Brest than originally planned to source replacement parts and carry out a comprehensive repair.

A repair procedure has been defined with the agreement of Bureau Veritas (certification authority) and the manufacturer. In parallel, a complete check of the port steering gear has been carried out.

At the moment we do not have a confirmed date for return to service, however, we are currently in the process contacting affected passengers, prioritising those with imminent departures. We will communicate this as soon as possible via our sailings update page.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news

Advertisement