Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

vienne86 wrote: »
    That's my return from France on 31st down the tubes so. I'm lucky that there is availability on IF on 1st, so could stay an extra night in France and come home that way.

I took this option when I first heard about all this on Thursday afternoon, at least it took away any uncertainty and I get home only 1 day late, BF were happy to offer a refund on my return leg at that time which I really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Would you consider Landbridge as a Backup Plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I see on twitter that BF are confirming that 1st June from Cork is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

According to the FB crew page the Pont Aven is due to leave the shipyard on 7th June. Hopefully there will be no delays or further problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just got a text saying we are now going Roscoff to Cotk on Saturday 1st on the Connemara instead of Friday 31st on Pont Aven. Suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I just received text that our sailing on 1st is cancelled.
    I booked IF over the weekend, so just need to follow up with BF to get the refund sorted.
    Glad I made the jump already

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennymum

Are you leaving the return trip stand with BF?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennymum

What is the best number to get through to BF on?

Are you leaving the return trip stand with BF?

No, I've booked return to with IF.
    Working in the assumption that BF will cancel and refund my full booking (both directions).
    Really hoping that assumption is correct

I tried ringing BF over weekend, but they only operate phone line mon-Friday 9-5 with a lunch break. If have thought they'd be operating a more available line at the moment.
    I used 021 427 7801

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

We were also due to sail out on the 1st June, and also received this email late last night.
    I wonder when BF states a refund of booking, does it include a refund to include the return sailing or just the sailing out next Saturday 1st?
    We hope to travel though England and onto France instead..bit of a haul but at least we won't miss out!

We were also due to sail on Sat the 1st, thinking of doing the same as yourself as in go by England now, not sure whats the best route or option right now though :confused:

• Advertisement

Brittany Ferries France rang us this morning. Booking us an extra night in our hotel and back to Cork leaving Roscoff on Saturday. Maybe compromise on the cabin but they could hardly have done more for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Brittany Ferries France rang us this morning. Booking us an extra night in our hotel and back to Cork leaving Roscoff on Saturday. Maybe compromise on the cabin but they could hardly have done more for us.

Is that on the Connemara?

Is that on the Connemara?

Yes. Which is handy as we are going a hotel trip to Spain in September so we will get to see the ship now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Yes. Which is handy as we are going a hotel trip to Spain in September so we will get to see the ship now.

At least you are sorted anyway. Will you be compensated for having to travel on Connemara instead of the Pont Aven? Not that there is anything wrong with Connemara, but the Pont Aven is obviously a more luxurious vessel and you have already paid for the privilege of sailing on it. Just curious...

At least you are sorted anyway. Will you be compensated for having to travel on Connemara instead of the Pont Aven? Not that there is anything wrong with Connemara, but the Pont Aven is obviously a more luxurious vessel and you have already paid for the privilege of sailing on it. Just curious...

Not that I know of. But I gather we are being compensated for having to go Dublin to Cherbourg instead of Cork to Roscoff on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dave445354

I tried ringing them this afternoon and you just get a message directing you to their website and they will be contacting people in order of sailing date if bookings need to be changed.

I am sailing on the 8th June and need to start working on Plan B or maybe Plan C !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Dave445354 wrote: »
    I am sailing on the 8th June and need to start working on Plan B or maybe Plan C !!!

Would booking IF or Stena as a backup plan on a Flexi basis be an option? It would give you peace of mind straight away, ensure you have an alternative in place should BF cancel your original booking and allow you to cancel the backup and get a full refund (less the Flexi fee) should the BF sailing go ahead as planned?

54&56 wrote: »
    Would booking IF or Stena as a backup plan on a Flexi basis be an option? It would give you peace of mind straight away, ensure you have an alternative in place should BF cancel your original booking and allow you to cancel the backup and get a full refund (less the Flexi fee) should the BF sailing go ahead as planned?
    Definitely worth looking at the Flexi fare options, thanks for the heads up.

I am also waiting on a contact who works in BF to ring me tomorrow. She said she will have a better idea in the morning on the status for the 8th June

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

I never thought of the flexi fare option until recently someone here highlighted a reason for using it but now here's another example of when it could be useful. I'll definitely book it that way from now on. Fingers crossed everyone is accommodated somehow and you all get to enjoy your holidays stress free.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I think that you will find that the flexibility option with IF does not cover you for a full refund in canceling a short time before the departure date, my understanding having always bought this option when booking with IF is that if you cancel between 4 and 20 days before departure you lose 75% of the fare and 3 days or less you lose 90% of the fare. It is a very good option when booking well in advance but unfortunately is not really very useful so close to the departure date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Newonhere wrote: »
    I think that you will find that the flexibility option with IF does not cover you for a full refund in canceling a short time before the departure date, my understanding having always bought this option when booking with IF is that if you cancel between 4 and 20 days before departure you lose 75% of the fare and 3 days or less you lose 90% of the fare. It is a very good option when booking well in advance but unfortunately is not really very useful so close to the departure date.

You're spot on Newonhere - https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/about-your-booking/flexibility-option/

I think Stena's Flexi option is a lot more "Flexi" as you get a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before you're scheduled sailing and 50% back if you cancel up to 2 hours beforehand - https://www.stenaline.ie/efp-popup

TL;DR

Stena = proper Flexi.

IF - Not very Flexi at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Dave445354 wrote: »
    Definitely worth looking at the Flexi fare options, thanks for the heads up.

I am also waiting on a contact who works in BF to ring me tomorrow. She said she will have a better idea in the morning on the status for the 8th June

Supposedly sailing on the 8th as well so would be interested to hear any updates.

As total France Ferry & Campsite noobs this year, we decided to take the conservative approach and book our entire trip through a travel agent.

Popped into them at the weekend for an update and then weren't even aware of an issue with the Pont Aven (:rolleyes:)...they did make a couple of phonecalls while we were there but no solid updates either way.

i am not very happy with BF customer service at the moment. You cannot phone them or call into their office. Someone said they have closed the office to the public !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Supposedly sailing on the 8th as well so would be interested to hear any updates.

As total France Ferry & Campsite noobs this year, we decided to take the conservative approach and book our entire trip through a travel agent.

Popped into them at the weekend for an update and then weren't even aware of an issue with the Pont Aven (:rolleyes:)...they did make a couple of phonecalls while we were there but no solid updates either way.

We are also travelling the 8th and have tried to see if BF will allow us to cancel so we can book IF to ensure travel - they are ignoring any correspondance.

I can assure you if we fail to travel and I have additional costs due to BF not allowing cancellation but they cancel themselves and we have to move holiday to different time - I'll be in the small claims court for the difference - I'm a dog with a bone!

I had a call from BF this morning in response to my email request to cancel and refund.
    Confirmed full refund of both legs of the trip.
    It's all a pain in the ass, but it's been fairly efficient and transparent.
    My holiday has been pushed back by nearly a week, saved €200, but have extra 3hrs drive in France.

I want caught up in the IF shenanigans last year, but it feels like this hasn't been anywhere near as badly managed (and was very much out of BF control), hoping the shop will be back in action soon to save the July/August crowds the same hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I had a call from BF this morning in response to my email request to cancel and refund.
    Confirmed full refund of both legs of the trip.
    It's all a pain in the ass, but it's been fairly efficient and transparent.
    My holiday has been pushed back by nearly a week, saved €200, but have extra 3hrs drive in France.

I want caught up in the IF shenanigans last year, but it feels like this hasn't been anywhere near as badly managed (and was very much out of BF control), hoping the shop will be back in action soon to save the July/August crowds the same hassle

When were you scheduled to depart and return Davy?

When were you scheduled to depart and return Davy?

We were scheduled for:
    1st June: Cork- Roscoff
    14th June: Roscoff - Cork

We were scheduled for:
    1st June: Cork- Roscoff
    14th June: Roscoff - Cork

Oh **** now that's worrying as we're going out on the 15th.
    Really don't know what to do

Oh **** now that's worrying as we're going out on the 15th.
    Really don't know what to do

Sry, to clarify, there was no issue indicated with the return journey on 14th.

But with my change of outgoing dates and switch to IF, I really needed to cancel both to avoid shortening our trip drastically.

• Advertisement

Sry, to clarify, there was no issue indicated with the return journey on 14th.

But with my change of outgoing dates and switch to IF, I really needed to cancel both to avoid shortening our trip drastically.

Cheers, ya my head is melted because I contacted Brittany to ask why the Pont Aven was still alongside the quay wall in Damien ship repair in Brest and not in either of the Dry Docks according to Marine Traffic and they told me that it is in dry dock and repairs are well underway and there's a picture of her in dry dock on their Instagram so they said she should be back for the 7th.
    But there's no picture on Instagram and according to Marine Traffic just now she's still alongside and not in dry dock.

Advertisement