Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

from https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news

Pont-Aven – Latest news
    28 May 2019

Regretfully we have been advised Pont-Aven will not resume service before 15 June, as a consequence, we are in the process of contacted affected clients in departure date order, prioritising those with the most imminent departures and offering them a choice between a reroute when available or full cancellation.

We apologise for the disruption cause, if your sailing has been affected you will receive notification from our Customer Services team, they will endeavour to find an alternative date. If you prefer to cancel your booking and make alternative arrangements we will provide a full refund for any bookings due to travel between now and 14 June – please email reservations@Brittanyferries.com

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

The Pont Aven has only been in service for 5 days since the fire on 29th April and in the last 24 hours the date it is expected back in service had been pushed out from 2nd to 15th June.

I'm booked to travel on 22nd and I'm not too confident in the boat being up to it, even if it's back in service.

Brittany Ferries need to make a proper statement about the boat, and answer their phones to customers.

So that's France off the table for us this year unfortunately....the travel agents offered kinda ok-ish alternatives but we have very limited flexibility to be honest.

Anyway, will hopefully get the refund sorted asap and get something else booked in the coming days. The kids are still small (3 and 6) so plenty of time to do big trips in the years to come.

Bon Voyage to all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Cartman78 wrote: »
    So that's France off the table for us this year unfortunately....the travel agents offered kinda ok-ish alternatives but we have very limited flexibility to be honest.

Ah that is a pity! Hopefully you get something sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Due to go on the 22nd from Cork also with my sister and her family. Going to a campsite nearby as its my sisters first time going and they are nervous about the driving in France. From previous experience has anyone any advice? Neither of us can change our dates for holidays with work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tinimc

I'm the same, due to leave Cork on 22nd June too. I also have my accommodation booked through BF. Not sure if they cancel the ferry will they still honour the accommodation too? How quick will they be at refunding. Paid monthly with my debit card.

Due to go on the 22nd from Cork also with my sister and her family. Going to a campsite nearby as its my sisters first time going and they are nervous about the driving in France. From previous experience has anyone any advice? Neither of us can change our dates for holidays with work

Would you consider Landbridge as a Plan B ?
    Our Holiday Dates are normally v inflexible due to my Husband's job so I know where you are coming from.
    Watching last year's IF debacle unfold and from talking to friends affected by it - we have decided to have Landbridge as a Plan B going forward.
    We have done it once as a Plan A and it is very doable and I had my doubts when planning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There is a piece on RTE Radio 1 about BF now.

tinimc wrote: »
    I'm the same, due to leave Cork on 22nd June too. I also have my accommodation booked through BF. Not sure if they cancel the ferry will they still honour the accommodation too? How quick will they be at refunding. Paid monthly with my debit card.

Not quite the same situation as us but might help give you a ballpark time period....we booked the lot through a travel agent and they advised today that a full refund will take 28 days to process

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

tinimc wrote: »

My amateur opinion is if you booked accommodation and transport with BF and they pull the rug on the transport bit they will be on the hook for your accommodation costs also.

It'd be interesting to hear their barrister try to explain to a judge how they only refunded you the €1,200 ferry portion of the €3,000 you paid them because the accommodation was still available for you to use despite the fact they had removed your ability to get there!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My sister wont like that idea but it may be our only option. How did you do it please? I rang our camp site. We all booked the camp site and ferry separately. We won't be entitled to a refund if we don't turn up as a result of the ship.

My sister wont like that idea but it may be our only option. How did you do it please? I rang our camp site. We all booked the camp site and ferry separately. We won't be entitled to a refund if we don't turn up as a result of the ship.

I would have a look at IF Dublin to Cherbourg and Stena from Rosslare to see if they suit in terms of Dates and availability.

Then if looking at Landbridge - the quickest way would probably be Ferry Rosslare to Pembroke and then drive to Plymouth and Ferry Plymouth to Roscoff.
    But there are several options from the UK to France.

When we did Landbridge we took the Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then drove to Folkestone and took the Channel Tunnel to France because that made sense for us in terms of where we live in Ireland and where we were going in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 clonrunner

I just got a call from BF.
    We were due to sail on Sat 8th June cork - roscoff and return on 14th.
    BF informed me that we are now booked on the Connemara to sail 1 day earlier (Fri 7th June) cork - roscoff.
    They tell me the return journey is ok - Pont Avon on the 14th .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

clonrunner wrote: »
    I just got a call from BF.
    We were due to sail on Sat 8th June cork - roscoff and return on 14th.
    BF informed me that we are now booked on the Connemara to sail 1 day earlier (Fri 7th June) cork - roscoff.
    They tell me the return journey is ok - Pont Avon on the 14th .

Many thanks for that update. It’s a relief to hear that they didn’t change your travel arrangements for the 14th.....hopefully they’ll be back by then? Don’t want to be too hopeful though. I have to say, so far they seem to have handled the whole thing FAR better than Irish Ferries last year and then Irish Ferries not informing people until January that there would be no Rosslare - Roscoff anymore. At least BF do their best to inform people

• Registered Users Posts: 8 clonrunner

When I asked they seemed confident the sailing on the 14th was ok. Good enough handling of the problem as far as I can see. They notified our campsite of the change in our arrival etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Many thanks for that update. It’s a relief to hear that they didn’t change your travel arrangements for the 14th.....hopefully they’ll be back by then? Don’t want to be too hopeful though. I have to say, so far they seem to have handled the whole thing FAR better than Irish Ferries last year and then Irish Ferries not informing people until January that there would be no Rosslare - Roscoff anymore. At least BF do their best to inform people

I have to agree. Our hotel was notified and were aware we were staying an extra night this week. We have no written notificaion of our return on the Connemara, just a text, but I'm happy enough. We were dure compensation for extra driving involved in our switch to Irish Ferries last wekend, and it has just arrived in to my account. Very impressed.

Thanks for the suggestions. That won't be an option with my sister so I have everything crossed that it goes or there will be some very disappointed cousins left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know if there is entertainment on the WB Yeats this year? Also thinking of upgrading to club class, is it worth the extra money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Anyone know if there is entertainment on the WB Yeats this year? Also thinking of upgrading to club class, is it worth the extra money?

My wife read somewhere that there was kids entertainment from start of June

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We always enjoyed the cheesy cabaret on the Oscar Wilde and kids seemed to be entranced by it. Surely IF have something similar on the WBY?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jason987456214

Just landed at Le Grand Metairie, wb Yates left on time but with headwind and Rocky seas we delayed over an hour, boat was nice, Cabins great apart from mattress that were like wood. Kids entertainment was on, much the same as old boat but kids enjoyed it. Brought all own food only bought coffee and a beer. Crash on Motor way then so it was closed, divesion around some small towns which added to journey, it was a long day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi everyone. We're heading to France in our campervan. Someone mentioned that our regular hose pipe fitting (regular Irish sized screw on and then push/click/bayonet mounting that works in Irish sites) may not work in the French campsites. Does anyone know if I need to buy further attachments to suit?

Thanks. And thanks to all the folk that put helpful stuff on this thread, it's been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Not sure if anyone can help..
    Heading to France on WB YEATS IN July. I've booked a 'Van' -- unto 6mtr Long X unto 2.25mts high. We intend to bring bikes & I recently purchased a bike rack which will put the over all height (when bikes loaded) at 2.4mts. (Van is 2mtrs High).
    Will this be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Heading to France on WB YEATS IN July. I've booked a 'Van' -- unto 6mtr Long X unto 2.25mts high. We intend to bring bikes & I recently purchased a bike rack which will put the over all height (when bikes loaded) at 2.4mts. (Van is 2mtrs High).
    Will this be a problem?

Ask Irish Ferries. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

sceach16 wrote: »
    Ask Irish Ferries. :o

Cheers mate. Great idea, do you think there’re open at 22:50 on a bank holiday Monday?

#a-hole

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Will this be a problem?

They won't be measuring if that's your worry.. :-) but technically u will need to tell them, don't think they'll charge u extra. It maybe for loading that they require sizes etc. Only guessing.. but I've never said I have a bike rack on back of Jeep or that I have a roof box except the 1st time. Never have being stopped or queried.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Cheers mate. Great idea, do you think there’re open at 22:50 on a bank holiday Monday?

#a-hole

At the risk of pointing out the obvious.......Do it before you arrive to check in. That way you might find out if your booking is valid.

Anyone who tells U anything else is guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

#a-hole

You aren't travelling until July - why the rush to find out and be rude with it?

Advertisement