Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Pretzill wrote: »
    You aren't travelling until July - why the rush to find out and be rude with it?

Why do people post pointless reply's? I was looking to see if anyone had similar experiences, not a smart arse response.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can help..
    Heading to France on WB YEATS IN July. I've booked a 'Van' -- unto 6mtr Long X unto 2.25mts high. We intend to bring bikes & I recently purchased a bike rack which will put the over all height (when bikes loaded) at 2.4mts. (Van is 2mtrs High).
    Will this be a problem?
    I done this twice with no problems on oclscar wilde. In the q for boat drop the bikes flat on roof and fix with bungies. On other side put them back upright.

Then after two years of that figured out when booking that there is no diff in price for 2.6 m van when not commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sixtoes wrote:
    Why do people post pointless reply's? I was looking to see if anyone had similar experiences, not a smart arse response.

Telliing you to ask the people who can answer the question is not a smart arse response .

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hi everyone. We're heading to France in our campervan. Someone mentioned that our regular hose pipe fitting (regular Irish sized screw on and then push/click/bayonet mounting that works in Irish sites) may not work in the French campsites. Does anyone know if I need to buy further attachments to suit?

Thanks. And thanks to all the folk that put helpful stuff on this thread, it's been a great help.

John, or Mr Rambo,

No is the answer. Most campsites in France that I have been to cater for Irish/UK hose water connections no problem.

I doubt it will be an issue. Worst case, the campsite will sell/hire you out a bespoke water connection adapter.
    My water connections were the normal hoselock type fitting which clicks into the hoselock female screw on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

What are people's experiences/opinions on the Irish Ferries 'speedy exit' this year?
    We're going on WBL later in the week. Parents were on it a few weeks back and said unloading took ages.
    Wondering if speedy exit is worth adding and would make much of a difference. Looks like it's 'only €10', but I'd prefer to hold onto my tenner if I get feck all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Can anyone recommend a town and/or hotel to stay in for a night near Cherbourg (within an hour or so). Have a night to kill before the ferry.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    What are people's experiences/opinions on the Irish Ferries 'speedy exit' this year?
    We're going on WBL later in the week. Parents were on it a few weeks back and said unloading took ages.
    Wondering if speedy exit is worth adding and would make much of a difference. Looks like it's 'only €10', but I'd prefer to hold onto my tenner if I get feck all for it.

We used the speedy exit in April - At first I wasn't sure if it was going to be speedy as unlike the Oscar Wilde where cars are brought to the front of the ship we were sent upstairs and lined up there. However I still think it was quick about ten minutes after docking (not first one off) The only reason we chose speedy exit is because we'd have a heavy boot :D coming back and I was nervous of the ramp to upstairs but on the WB Yeats it's more of a curve than a ramp so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

muletide wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a town and/or hotel to stay in for a night near Cherbourg (within an hour or so). Have a night to kill before the ferry.

Thanks

We stayed close to Saint-Mère-Église. Approx 30 mins to Ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Pretzill wrote: »
    We used the speedy exit in April - At first I wasn't sure if it was going to be speedy as unlike the Oscar Wilde where cars are brought to the front of the ship we were sent upstairs and lined up there. However I still think it was quick about ten minutes after docking (not first one off) The only reason we chose speedy exit is because we'd have a heavy boot :D coming back and I was nervous of the ramp to upstairs but on the WB Yeats it's more of a curve than a ramp so not too bad.

Thanks for the reply
    After speaking to my mum again, apparently the i delay was actually in getting to the car deck, rather than getting off the boat. Think I'll hold on to the tenner and get s round of ice creams in France instead. Hopefully it'll all work out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We stayed close to Saint-Mère-Église. Approx 30 mins to Ferry.

It is a lovely little town/village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scudges Da

muletide wrote: »

Thanks

Pierre et Vacances Le Green Beach

We stayed here a few years ago (We were able to book through Keycamp), it was a poolside studio apartment, very clean and very reasonable.

You may be able to book direct with them

Pierre et Vacances Le Green Beach
    6 Rue Abbé Lemazurier, 14520 Port-en-Bessin-Huppain, France

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Another ferry cancelled !!!

This was why we planned landbridge travel this summer. Dublin holyhead , drive to folkstone, airbnb for night , euortunnel and onto our destination. Something similar coming back. Sort of looking forward to the change and not worried about weather or sailing concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Drumpot wrote: »

This was why we planned landbridge travel this summer. Dublin holyhead , drive to folkstone, airbnb for night , euortunnel and onto our destination. Something similar coming back. Sort of looking forward to the change and not worried about weather or sailing concerns.

Let me get this straight. You planned a landbridge route as you anticipated that one of the 3 ferry services serving the Ireland -> France route might develop some temporary mechanical/technical failures?

Presumably you did so prior to March 31st when the UK was supposed to Brexit so it must have been a concern that a No Deal Brexit on March 31st could have clogged up all UK -> France routes including Eurotunnel but having weighed up the probabilities you decided a potential mechanical failure had a higher probability of happening than a No Deal Brexit?

Fair play.

Wanna start a lottery syndicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Do you not use a ferry to get from Dublin to Holyhead?

Make sure you get the timing belt on the car done, you wouldn't want it to go while driving across Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you not use a ferry to get from Dublin to Holyhead?

Make sure you get the timing belt on the car done, you wouldn't want it to go while driving across Britain.

There are a lot more options and capacity on the Ireland - UK ferries than on Ireland to France.
    Missed sailings/cancellations can usually be accommodated within 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have to say I used to always go through Britain - across to Holyhead drive down to Dover (sail across to Calais) - It wasn't cheaper - and the drive was very long (we'd do holyhead to Dover in one go - I wouldnt reccommend that - but quicker than the Irish sailing) once we decided to go on the Oscar Wilde and I couldn't believe how much less of a hassle it was to travel this way. However with the Oscar Wilde gone and not being very enamoured with the WB Yeats alternative I'm almost thinking of going through Britain again but maybe heading up into Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

54&56 wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. You planned a landbridge route as you anticipated that one of the 3 ferry services serving the Ireland -> France route might develop some temporary mechanical/technical failures?

Presumably you did so prior to March 31st when the UK was supposed to Brexit so it must have been a concern that a No Deal Brexit on March 31st could have clogged up all UK -> France routes including Eurotunnel but having weighed up the probabilities you decided a potential mechanical failure had a higher probability of happening than a No Deal Brexit?

Fair play.

Wanna start a lottery syndicate?

And you really thought Europe would clogged up Britain after Brexit so that all the European countries would lose out on the holiday financial income from the Uk? Some people read the Daily Mail too much.

And you really thought Europe would clogged up Britain after Brexit so that all the European countries would lose out on the holiday financial income from the Uk? Some people read the Daily Mail too much.

I've no idea what that means.

What I have said in the past and meant were the following:-

1. EU holiday destinations are experiencing reduced demand from Brits due to concerns over Brexit and Sterling depreciation, see https://www.ft.com/content/4574911a-3b7e-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

2. A No Deal Brexit could result in massive delays and tail backs on all UK - France departure points, see https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-plan-to-use-m26-motorway-as-parking-lot-port-dover-if-no-brexit-deal/

And I've never read or referenced the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I've no idea what that means.

What I have said in the past and meant were the following:-

1. EU holiday destinations are experiencing reduced demand from Brits due to concerns over Brexit and Sterling depreciation, see https://www.ft.com/content/4574911a-3b7e-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

2. A No Deal Brexit could result in massive delays and tail backs on all UK - France departure points, see https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-plan-to-use-m26-motorway-as-parking-lot-port-dover-if-no-brexit-deal/

And I've never read or referenced the Daily Mail.

A No deal exit will not happen, because if this happens and UK does well out of it, everyone will jump ship.

All the above is scare tactics and the powers of EU can't afford to make a mistake here.

In the event of the delays, they would be temporary and resolved very quickly like other countries outside the EU managed.

A quick search of this thread could of clarified this for you:
    I know this is the ferry thread but has anybody done ferry to holy head, drive through UK and tunnel to France?

I normally do the ferry to France but we decided to try the drive this time around. Interested if anybody has any stories or experience to share.
    Thanks for all the responses everybody, seems like a mixed bag.

Our plan is Dublin to Holyhead, drive to folkstone and stay night.

Next morning Eurotunnel to Calais (haven’t booked this yet) and then 6 hour drive south to our destination.

Coming back we plan to stay near Calais for two days then euro tunnel to houkyhead and home on same day (back in Dublin 11 I think).

I was trying to give people who were stranded or worried an alternative optional suggestion. I planned to go this route last year but only booked the Airbnb and Eurotunnel recently.

I hope that this clears things up as it looks like my previous post really annoyed you for some reason.

• Advertisement

A quick search of this thread could of clarified this for you:

I was trying to give people who were stranded or worried an alternative optional suggestion. I planned to go this route last year but only booked the Airbnb and Eurotunnel recently.

I hope that this clears things up as it looks like my previous post really annoyed you for some reason.

Na, not annoyed at all, I was just surprised by your statement that the reason you had booked the landbridge was because you had somehow anticipated potential ferry cancellations.

This was why we planned landbridge travel this summer.

Turns out that's not why you booked landbridge at all.

Na, not annoyed at all, I was just surprised by your statement that the reason you had booked the landbridge was because you had somehow anticipated potential ferry cancellations.

Turns out that's not why you booked landbridge at all.

No need to be surprised, I would of cleared it up if you had asked.

We suffered ferry cancellations a few years ago and when Irish ferries cancelled the Rosslare to France route we made the choice to try landbridge option.

A No deal exit will not happen, because if this happens and UK does well out of it, everyone will jump ship.

This makes no sense at all. If the UK thought it would do well out of a No Deal Brexit i.e. straight into trading on WTO rules it would have walked on March 29th and not asked for the first of two extensions. Even Farage says No Deal isn't the preferred way to exit.
    All the above is scare tactics and the powers of EU can't afford to make a mistake here.

I think you're reading too much of the Daily Mail yourself :P A No Deal Brexit means the UK immediately becomes a 3rd country and loses all it's free movement of goods and people into the EU. That means passport checks, vehicle checks, ton's of paperwork etc etc. That can only clog up traffic not speed it up.
    In the event of the delays, they would be temporary and resolved very quickly like other countries outside the EU managed.

What other countries that are not in the Customs Union quickly resolved clogged up border crossing issues with the EU without having first spent many years negotiating some form of customs alignment or trade agreement? Even if there are some (which I doubt) the UK's circumstances will be considerably complicated by two things:-

1. The UK will have to agree to pay it's £39 Billion tab.
    2. The UK will have to agree border mechanisms in Northern Ireland which comply with the Good Friday Agreement and don't result in any form of hard border or infrastructure on the border.

I'm sure they'll get that all sorted in jig time.

Enough OT Brexit talk.

Back to Ferry and Campsite Info ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi

Not a request I'd usually make when travelling abroad but I'm looking for an Irish pub near Carnac to watch the Connacht Final on Sunday 16th.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone been to Des Ormes yet this year? Just wondering how the new pool complex is coming along. Photos on their FB page look pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi

Not a request I'd usually make when travelling abroad but I'm looking for an Irish pub near Carnac to watch the Connacht Final on Sunday 16th.

Cheers
    A lot of French campsites that have a lot of Irish staying will show the GAA matches in the bar.
    I know the Le Grande Metarie camp site in Carnac show matches as I've watched a fair few there when staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

talla wrote: »
    A lot of French campsites that have a lot of Irish staying will show the GAA matches in the bar.
    I know the Le Grande Metarie camp site in Carnac show matches as I've watched a fair few there when staying.

Good stuff cheers.

We're staying at La Grande Metairie so that would be dead handy if they're showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Good stuff cheers.

We're staying at La Grande Metairie so that would be dead handy if they're showing it.

You should be good to go then, they have a couple of tv's and a big screen for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

No news is good news on the Cork ferry thats due to resume action from the 14th. I've got an email when I enquired. It stated that they hoped it'd be back in action for the 14th.
    Has anyone else heard anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Hi

Cheers

Why not enjoy the holiday ? :D

Advertisement