Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

peter4918 wrote: »
    Getting worried myself. I got the same stock answer as you from a Twitter DM that’s it expected to resume service on the 15th.

For anybody on here that has been cancelled over the last few weeks, on what day of the week did BF contact you to say your sailing was cancelled the following Saturday?

We were to cross from Cork on May 25th and were notified and sorted on 23rd. They booked us on to the WBYeats. For coming home from Roscoff on May 31st, we were contacted early on 27th first with a text saying we would be sailing on June 1st instead and then with a phone call confirming this and telling us they had already contacted our hotel and would foot the bill for an extra night. We were on a Brittany Ferries holiday and couldn't fault the way we were looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only just back from Le Liitoral, and thoughts already turning to next year as we try to get over the depression of the holiday being over...

After two years there (eurocamp last year, tent this year) we're ready to branch out (and 10 and 11 probably the max I'd recommend Le Littoral, despite being a great place with great staff).

Looking at going a bit further south for next year - search on here is throwing up Saint Avit Loisirs. Any one have thoughts on how it would fair with an 11 and at that stage nearly 13 year old girls? We'd be going independently, so wouldn't have any eurocamp clubs.
    Heading to saint avit loisters Thursday week with kids 15+11, will be our first time in the dordogne region. Will post when we get our bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Heading to saint avit loisters Thursday week with kids 15+11, will be our first time in the dordogne region. Will post when we get our bearings.

Same here, but not going there until the following week. See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Peckham wrote: »
    Same here, but not going there until the following week. See you there!

Only staying for 5 days until the 25th then off to castell montgri in Spain for 10 days. Heard good things about S A loisters do here's to a nice hol..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

Pont Aven - Latest News

10 June 2019

We look forward to welcoming Pont-Aven back to service on 14 June. Ahead of her return, we have confirmed that all scheduled sailings from or into Portsmouth will now use Plymouth for the rest of the season. This is because Pont-Aven must operate at a reduced operating speed following a technical problem earlier in the season.

Customers who haven’t used Plymouth before, can find details on our Plymouth port guide.

In addition to this change, please note services are subject to revised departure and arrival times to and from Spain. Any customers affected by these changes will be notified in advance of travel. Please note, this does not apply to any reservation made after 6 June 2019.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news

All the news posted references the UK crossings, I'd like to see something from the Irish branch about the Cork service.
    The update posted on 6th has been deleted. The departure and arrival times to/from the UK were updated to take account of the slower crossing times but the Irish times haven't changed.
    If the Irish branch had good news would they not share it?

• Advertisement

Pont Aven - Latest News

10 June 2019

We look forward to welcoming Pont-Aven back to service on 14 June. Ahead of her return, we have confirmed that all scheduled sailings from or into Portsmouth will now use Plymouth for the rest of the season. This is because Pont-Aven must operate at a reduced operating speed following a technical problem earlier in the season.

Customers who haven’t used Plymouth before, can find details on our Plymouth port guide.

In addition to this change, please note services are subject to revised departure and arrival times to and from Spain. Any customers affected by these changes will be notified in advance of travel. Please note, this does not apply to any reservation made after 6 June 2019.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pont-aven-latest-news

All the news posted references the UK crossings, I'd like to see something from the Irish branch about the Cork service.
    The update posted on 6th has been deleted. The departure and arrival times to/from the UK were updated to take account of the slower crossing times but the Irish times haven't changed.
    If the Irish branch had good news would they not share it?

When we were travelling last month, we only found the sailing updates on the UK website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Getting worried myself. I got the same stock answer as you from a Twitter DM that’s it expected to resume service on the 15th.

For anybody on here that has been cancelled over the last few weeks, on what day of the week did BF contact you to say your sailing was cancelled the following Saturday?

We got a text and email on the Sunday, and then a phonecall on Tuesday to confirm the cancellation we had requested by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

Sailing from Dublin on the W.B. Yeats, June 28th (the day my 2 children finish school). Looking forward to seeing the new ship.
    Heading to Ile de Ré for the 3rd year in a row. Staying at the Sunelia Interlude campsite near Bois Plage having stayed at a smaller site (Camp du Soleil) near Ars for the last 2 years.
    Enjoy the cycling, crepes, ice cream and wine on Ile de Ré. Might take a boat tour to one of the other nearby islands this year (Ile d'Aix or Ile d'Orléron).
    Will stay in St Malo for Bastille Day on the way back to Cherbourg.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Anyone else supposed to be sailing on the Pont Aven this Saturday and getting slightly nervous?

Well I am, purely because I was led to believe that the hydraulic rudder works were due to take place in dry dock in Brest whereas every time I check the ships location she hasn't moved from the same quay wall since she arrived there back in May.

I want to be optimistic but it's all suspiciously very quiet.
    Check their website. There has been updates

Applying for my Crit’Air sticker. How does one determine what Environmental Category the car is in (Euro 1 to 6)?

Accoring to the Crit’Air website it should be indicated in the V.9 field on the registration certificate. However, my certificate only goes up to V.7 (CO2 Emissions).

Is it possible to determine from this what it is? It’s a Citroen Grand Picasso (Diesel, 2014).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pont Aven - Latest News

10 June 2019

Plymouth is a long way from Portsmouth, that would be pretty annoying if you were coming from London or (say) Ipswich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Peckham wrote: »
    Applying for my Crit’Air sticker. How does one determine what Environmental Category the car is in (Euro 1 to 6)?

Accoring to the Crit’Air website it should be indicated in the V.9 field on the registration certificate. However, my certificate only goes up to V.7 (CO2 Emissions).

Is it possible to determine from this what it is? It’s a Citroen Grand Picasso (Diesel, 2014).

Google it :) or if I’m doubt give your local main dealer a call. They’ll know. I’m pretty sure it’ll be a Euro 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

loyatemu wrote:
    Plymouth is a long way from Portsmouth, that would be pretty annoying if you were coming from London or (say) Ipswich.

Plymouth is a long way from most places!

Google it or if I’m doubt give your local main dealer a call. They’ll know. I’m pretty sure it’ll be a Euro 5.

Google gave the answer! I had been googling for definitions of each level, but hadn't googled the car model details. 😳

It's Euro 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

One dry dock freed up this morning, perhaps the Pont Aven will be moving into that today.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-4.455/centery:48.385/zoom:16

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

The Pont Aven doesn’t need a dry dock aparently, the company said technical teams were working 24 hours a day and, as at 5th June, the replacement parts had been delivered and installed but complete testing had to be carried out.

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/brittany-ferries-limmobilisation-du-pont-aven-prolongee

It hasn’t moved from its mooring since 18th May, you’d imagine they’d take it for a spin around the harbour to test it out if repairs were successful.

Even if they can test the repairs while its standing still, you’d imagine it should be making its way to Roscoff from Brest either today or tomorrow to restock in advance of departing for Cork on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Anyone travelling on the Pont Aven this Friday or Saturday hear anything from Brittany Ferries? We are due to sail on June 22nd. Looked up the W.B. Yeats and it's fairly booked up around that date so if the Pont Aven is cancelled there is no way everyone will get directly to France. Especially when the Pont Aven is booked out.
    Find it strange that there has been updates on the U.K site recently and revised sailings and nothing at all on the Irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

The Pont Aven doesn’t need a dry dock aparently, the company said technical teams were working 24 hours a day and, as at 5th June, the replacement parts had been delivered and installed but complete testing had to be carried out.

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/brittany-ferries-limmobilisation-du-pont-aven-prolongee

It hasn’t moved from its mooring since 18th May, you’d imagine they’d take it for a spin around the harbour to test it out if repairs were successful.

Even if they can test the repairs while its standing still, you’d imagine it should be making its way to Roscoff from Brest either today or tomorrow to restock in advance of departing for Cork on Friday.

Ya I was just about to post the same.
    I was told dry docking wasn't required but they also told me that sea trials would take place this week

All sea trials are different but they can go on for over 24 hours so I'm getting extremely worried now that if she doesn't leave Brest today on a trial then there's no chance she'll be refuelled, restocked and after taking crew on by Friday evening so she can be back on schedule.

Also worrying they Brittany Ferries are responding to everyone else's queries on Twitter about Caen, Plymouth, Portsmouth routes but completely ignoring anyone asking about Pont Aven, Roscoff and Cork.

Way too close for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ah, it's not a problem with the actual rudder which would require a dry dock and sea testing, but the hydraulic control system which can be mainly tested in dock.
    ..L'avarie, liée à une perte de pression dans le circuit hydraulique du gouvernail, est survenue alors que le ferry sortait tout juste d'un autre arrêt technique provoqué par l'incendie d'un de ses moteurs fin avril...

Speak of the devil.
    Just got a reply both in Instagram and Twitter saying and I quote.
    Twitter

"Hello Philip, everything is proceeding as planned for the ship's re-entry into service on Friday. Kind regards, Jane"

Instagram

"Hello Philip, everything is proceeding as planned for the ship's re-entry into service on Friday. ^JE

Fairly repetitive, fairly scripted and still not confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Speak of the devil.
    Just got a reply both in Instagram and Twitter saying and I quote.
    Twitter

"Hello Philip, everything is proceeding as planned for the ship's re-entry into service on Friday. Kind regards, Jane"

Instagram

"Hello Philip, everything is proceeding as planned for the ship's re-entry into service on Friday. ^JE

Fairly repetitive, fairly scripted and still not confident.

I actually think that does sound confident....if everything is going as planned for re-entry why would they feel the need to email you lots of detail? If there was any other big updates they'd post it on their website, as they did on 10th June, they wouldn't tell some random customer and just hope the message would get out there! I think all sounds well. I could eat my words but I'm hopeful :D

Well they are taking bookings on the Connemara from Cork to Santander on Friday, which would imply that it is not being diverted to Roscoff this week....which hopefully means that the Pont Aven will be available for the Roscoff-Cork-Roscoff run this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You look good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

Got an email this evening from BF looking forward to welcoming me onboard the Port Aven this Saturday, my itinerary etc. Hopefully things are looking up and it’s all set to resume service. Anyone else here positive about Saturday or do you think we could still be in for massive disappointment?

Got an email this evening from BF looking forward to welcoming me onboard the Port Aven this Saturday, my itinerary etc. Hopefully things are looking up and it’s all set to resume service. Anyone else here positive about Saturday or do you think we could still be in for massive disappointment?

I also got one so getting slightly more positive. See you Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Currently sitting on the W. B. Yeats having a quiet pint while my 2 women have a sleep.

Very impressed with everything so far. Albeit I've nothing to compare it to having not sailed in over 20 years!

Cabins are a touch tight alright but comfy. All you'd need.

Loads of space around. Good entertainment for the kids, shows, magician etc.

Food in the restaurant we ate in was decent.

Everything nice and clean.

All good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

BullBauld wrote: »
    Currently sitting on the W. B. Yeats having a quiet pint while my 2 women have a sleep.

Very impressed with everything so far. Albeit I've nothing to compare it to having not sailed in over 20 years!

All good so far.

That's good news😀
    I've been reading lots of negative reviews on trip advisor so wasn't hopeful but looking forward to my trip nowðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, I meant to post of our own WB Yeats experience. All was good, except they pushed forward our last boarding time coming back which was a pain. We stayed on the way back, but made that day a bit more pressurised than it might have been, particularly as the sailing didn't leave any earlier.

No improvement in the wifi compared to the Oscar Wilde, including the paid options. We were in the Club Class Cabins - the TV was a bit of disaster (slow to turn on/ respond), wifi barely reached the cabin (and actually went down ship wide for a while going out) and was as crap as the free one. It wasn't that big an issue, and it could've been just that cabin we were in as we were in the same one both journeys, but if we had been relying on the TV we'd have been annoyed. No way of plugging a memory stick or anything in. We still haven't decided whether we'll pay for the club class next year tbh. We still ended up bringing on the cool box for stuff we were bringing/ bringing back that needed to be kept cold anyway, and from talking to the bar man it sounded as though it was no calmer than the main bar on the busy out bound sailings (both of ours were quiet).

Food - we didn't do the family deal this time. However, going out, at the check out that's what we got. Coming back, the same meal and they didn't give us the deal - the same person who gave us the deal going out insisted that whoever did that was wrong! That family deal probably is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

BullBauld wrote: »

All good so far.

Which Restaurant did you eat in ?

Advertisement