Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bicyclette wrote: »
    There is/was a lovely shop just before Rosslare Port where you could pick up sandwiches and food for the ferry (and fresh milk to make a cuppa using the travel kettle).

We are coming from Limerick. travelling on the WB Yeats. And most likely using the Port Tunnel. Where would be best to easily pick up this stuff? Are we talking Junction 14?

You have to head North on the M50 as far as the airport and Junction 3 ( where the M1 meets the M50) then follow the signs for the port tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

No Bills wrote: »
    This combination of the Port Tunnel and Junction 14 doesn't seem to make sense. You will come onto the M50 at Junction 9 (Red Cow) and head north (towards Port Tunnel) or south (towards Junction 14)?
    I realize now that you mean Junction 14 on the M7.
    (sorry for the confusion).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Bicyclette wrote:
    We are coming from Limerick. travelling on the WB Yeats. And most likely using the Port Tunnel. Where would be best to easily pick up this stuff? Are we talking Junction 14?

You could take the exit off the M1 just before the tunnel. There's a Centra about 200 metres on the right heading towards Santry.

Only issue is that you'd need to head back northbound afterwards to the M50 interchange and back down the M1 again in order to get into the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

jay0109 wrote: »
    Where is the main bar which has the magician, live music etc?

Deck 11, Maud Gonne lounge.

However kids show was in cafe lafeyette on deck 10 day I was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

There is a Topaz garage in the port on the left as you head down to the Irish Ferries terminal (if I'm thinking correctly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is/was a lovely shop just before Rosslare Port where you could pick up sandwiches and food for the ferry (and fresh milk to make a cuppa using the travel kettle).

Kellys Cafe at Drinagh roundabout is a good stop point also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

For the sake of a couple more hours, I'd do the shopping somewhere you know and stick it in a coolbox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

On a different note here....many people go to Domaine Des Ormes in early June?

We've just returned from Domaine De Litteau, having chosen it instead of Des Ormes after seeing several months back that pool would be closed in Des Ormes until 1st July. It was very, very, very quiet there - we were the only English-speaking people most of the time, and no more than four kids in the Kids Club any day, with our lad unable to actually talk to any of the others due to the language thing.

Then got speaking to some people on the boat on the way back who'd just been to Des Ormes, and who said the existing pool was open there all right - it's just a new facility they're building that won't be open until July. Had we known that, we'd have gone there ourselves.

Didn't think of asking them if there were many other Irish/UK people there at the time. Anybody here been there in say the first two weeks of June (not necessarily this year), and if so, what were the numbers like?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Duffryman wrote: »
    On a different note here....many people go to Domaine Des Ormes in early June?

We've just returned from Domaine De Litteau, having chosen it instead of Des Ormes after seeing several months back that pool would be closed in Des Ormes until 1st July. It was very, very, very quiet there - we were the only English-speaking people most of the time, and no more than four kids in the Kids Club any day, with our lad unable to actually talk to any of the others due to the language thing.

Then got speaking to some people on the boat on the way back who'd just been to Des Ormes, and who said the existing pool was open there all right - it's just a new facility they're building that won't be open until July. Had we known that, we'd have gone there ourselves.

Didn't think of asking them if there were many other Irish/UK people there at the time. Anybody here been there in say the first two weeks of June (not necessarily this year), and if so, what were the numbers like?

The new water park is open on the 1st July, its all on time. Pictures are up on Les Ormes Instagram showing pool operational now.
    I guess they are doing some testing and commissioning/snagging ahead of 1st July open date.
    There is another pool with slides and kids area as well as a third quiet pool which were not affected by the construction of the new facility.

I was there in the last week of June (previously) and it was rammed as normal.
    I have heard that in May and Sept it can get quieter with more french at the weekends.
    There are plenty of seasonal, residential type pitches around the park which keep it going out of main season.
    Off peak season, the take away and restaurant closes and some of the activities reduce.

We will be there again this year in mid July, looking forward to it.

Deeman83 wrote: »
    There is another pool with slides and kids area as well as a third quiet pool which were not affected by the construction of the new facility.

...and this is what we didn't realise. We thought there'd be no pool facility available at all until July 1st. :(

It was as far back as last September/October when we were booking, to try take advantage of the 'early bird' discounts that were going round at the time, so can't remember what exactly it said on their website at the time. Anyway, looks like we interpreted it wrongly, and missed out as a result.

Will hopefully get there next year instead.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

...and this is what we didn't realise. We thought there'd be no pool facility available at all until July 1st. :(

It was as far back as last September/October when we were booking, to try take advantage of the 'early bird' discounts that were going round at the time, so can't remember what exactly it said on their website at the time. Anyway, looks like we interpreted it wrongly, and missed out as a result.

Will hopefully get there next year instead.....

The pool that is open currently is just the outdoor pool with a marquee over it - I'm not sure how warm it'd be, especially if the weather was miserable. That's why we didn't go this year. We went last year in the first week of June & it was busy enough. The only downfall of it was that only the pizzeria restaurant was open - if you are inclined to eat out.

Can't wait to get back there next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

to anybody who frequently stays up around Brittany when they go to France - What is the weather generally like in early July? We were in south Brittany last year and it was beautiful and very hot, but I'm unsure if that's normal every summer or if we were just extremely lucky, as it had been so hot everywhere, including Ireland at that time anyway. I would just like to know whether to realistically pack a good few jumpers, tracksuits etc or is it always shorts and t-shirt weather in south brittany in summer? First World Problems......!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

If you want somewhere closer to Dublin, you could come off the N7 at Junction 8 and stop in Kill. There is a decent Eurospar in the village with a deli counter and a coffee shop (and 1 toilet). However, there is no petrol station in the village. You can then continue through the village and back onto the N7 at Junction 7.

A little closer still, you could come off the N7 at Junction 4 and stop in Rathcoole. There is a Tesco Express, a Centra and a Spar in Rathcoole village. Don't know about toilet facilities at any of these. Alternatively, you could stop at Avoca Rathcoole (north of the village). Avoca would be more expensive but you have a good selection of food and clean toilets. Again, no petrol station in the village. Either way, you get back onto the N7 at Junction 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

to anybody who frequently stays up around Brittany when they go to France - What is the weather generally like in early July? We were in south Brittany last year and it was beautiful and very hot, but I'm unsure if that's normal every summer or if we were just extremely lucky, as it had been so hot everywhere, including Ireland at that time anyway. I would just like to know whether to realistically pack a good few jumpers, tracksuits etc or is it always shorts and t-shirt weather in south brittany in summer? First World Problems......!

Last year was an exception. Brittany, like Ireland and the UK had an incredible stretch of weather from May to September.

Brittany can be mixed, cooler at night, overcast with some showers during the day.
    Not as wet as Ireland but still mixed.

If you want guaranteed weather, go south of the Loire Valley as the rule goes.

We've always stayed around Brittany/Normandy whenever we've been over. Just happen to like it around there, and don't fancy a long drive.

Best advice I'd give as regards packing is to pack pretty closely to how you'd pack for a holiday in Ireland at the same time, but with just a little less cold/wet weather stuff, and a little more warm/dry weather stuff. But it definitely won't be shorts and t-shirts weather all the way, all the time!

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Last year was an exception. Brittany, like Ireland and the UK had an incredible stretch of weather from May to September.

Brittany can be mixed, cooler at night, overcast with some showers during the day.
    Not as wet as Ireland but still mixed.

If you want guaranteed weather, go south of the Loire Valley as the rule goes.

I would say further south that Loire Valley, below Bordeaux at least.
    We used to stay in Les Charmettes, mix weather and sometimes cold when you get out of the pool.

We now go to la carabasse in Vias, 30 degrees everyday and warm at the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I think June is generally very quiet and in particular for Irish and UK visitors as national schools don't finish until the end of June. We went to La Reserve for the last two weeks of June last year and first week of July and sadly our 13 year old daughter had the same experience, not many kids her own age to make friends with and even fewer Irish/UK which she'd normally gravitate towards.

We learnt our lesson and are returning July 6th this year.

We've always stayed around Brittany/Normandy whenever we've been over. Just happen to like it around there, and don't fancy a long drive.

Best advice I'd give as regards packing is to pack pretty closely to how you'd pack for a holiday in Ireland at the same time, but with just a little less cold/wet weather stuff, and a little more warm/dry weather stuff. But it definitely won't be shorts and t-shirts weather all the way, all the time!
    Okay thanks a million for that...I'm off to pack more leggings and hoodies for he kids now! I've definitely been way too optimistic with my packing so far.
    And can I just ask....how does everyone find the outdoor pools then in Brittany? My youngest was shivering at the pool last year the minute the sun went behind the clouds, and last year was so warm...so I don't know how people manage small kids in the outdoor pools most of the time? My lad will freeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

In my experience anywhere other than Finistere is pretty reliable. The Vendee is a nice mix of warm sun and pleasant breeze and the Normandy beaches are plenty warm enough. You definitely don't need to trek all the way to Bordeaux.

54&56 wrote: »
    I think June is generally very quiet and in particular for Irish and UK visitors as national schools don't finish until the end of June. We went to La Reserve for the last two weeks of June last year and first week of July and sadly our 13 year old daughter had the same experience, not many kids her own age to make friends with and even fewer Irish/UK which she'd normally gravitate towards.

We learnt our lesson and are returning July 6th this year.

Yeah, but we also had a look at prices for July, and they're significantly more expensive. For example, our ferry (with Stena, Rosslare to Cherbourg) was approx €500 before adding price of cabins. To go next month would cost at least €1,000 (again not including cabin prices).

Our campsite price was approx €280 for six nights. Have just looked up a price for six nights there during July, and cheapest available is €531.

As regards school, obviously it's still term time in June, but it seems as though about half the kids in our lad's class are taking time off sometime this month for holidays. And also, there's the fact that every crossing, from both Rosslare and Dublin, is carrying probably hundreds of families each time, even in June. They all have to stay somewhere! We're just looking for a place where there might be even four or five of those families....instead of being Paddy No Mates again, like this time.. :o

• Advertisement

My youngest was shivering at the pool last year the minute the sun went behind the clouds, and last year was so warm...so I don't know how people manage small kids in the outdoor pools most of the time? My lad will freeze!

Consider getting a shorty wetsuit for him - they're in Aldi and/or Lidl from time to time, or Sports Direct is often another good bet:
    https://ie.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=wetsuit#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=rank&Filter=AFLOR%5EBoys

Don't know how old your lad is, but here's another that might suit:
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/eu/junior-shorty-wetsuit-p11462.aspx/Yellow/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IE+Whoop+All+Products+-+SHOPPING+IR&utm_term=&utm_content=s|pcrid|257360567912|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|021517053005|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSbX6E-aUfdJoSV5RopX1RqRGtC3TUrSF52mH2fkaJwVrB4b9kJwuJ4aAu_2EALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

A single snapshot in time isn't exactly scientific proof or a representative sample but here is today's forecast for Benodet in Brittany (where some friends of mine are going)

Brittany1560864476.png

and here is today's forecast for an Parentis en Born in Aquataine near La Reserve where I'm going in a couple of weeks

Aquataine1560864484.png

In general my experience having holidayed down along the west coast of France for the last 12 years or so is that the further south you go the better your chances are of good weather but there are no guarantees. It can rain or be over cast for days regardless of whether you're in Brittany or Aquataine, it's just generally warmer (even in the rain) in Aquataine and generally. Indeed there are years like last year where it was splitting the rocks all along the west coast for most of the summer.

If you want more or less guaranteed weather you have to head for the south coast and places like Average Runner is heading to.

Thanks guys for all those replies. I think I'm going to look into Cork to Santander next year, but the camps around that coast of Spain don't seem the best, and there are not as many camps to choose from as there are in France. So possible would be interested in driving from Santander to the very South Coast of France. If anyone has any suggestions on camps I'd be grateful, but I'm going to look more into that when we get back from France this year. Regardless of if the weather won't be great in Brittany this time - we are so excited! The holiday begins when you get on the ferry....we totally switch off from work etc. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Thanks everyone for your guidance and apologies about the confusion regarding Junction 14!!

Its pretty much the last loo stop before Dublin if you are coming up the M7 and there is a shop with sambos. But I was hoping to get something fresher.

Another tip for anyone travelling who likes their coffee or cuppa - we bring a travel kettle with us. You can plug it in in the cabin and save about €2.50 for every cup of tea. It also means, if you pick up some danishes or croissants, that you can have breakfast in bed rather than queuing for breakfast.

Homesense have uht milk sachets (no fridges in the WB Yeats cabins).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'd buy the essential goodies back nearer home, and have them in a "to go" bag that you can grab when you park in the ship.
    Less stress that way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Homesense have uht milk sachets (no fridges in the WB Yeats cabins).
    Freeze milk the night before you leave and put in a cooler bag when driving to the ferry. It'll have thawed out the next morning on the ferry but still be nice and cold on some cereal for bfast or for tea

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

They sell the small cartons of milk in the restaurant at breakfast time. They have the bowls there too. We just used them, kids own cereals and we bought coffees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hey guys the brittany ferries experience was flawless and our crossing was the smoothest ever but I can't say I'm as impressed with la grande Metairie.
    You can't get anything to eat before 6pm, no li lows in the lazy river, the soccer pitches are rock hard and lacking grass and the playground is basic at best.

But the thing I'm most disappointed in is the night-time entertainment, or lack there of, there was a match one night absolutely nothing last night and outdoor bowls the first night.

Compared to every other campsite we've been to, its abysmal.

We've done carnac, carnac plage, Auray and la trinite Sur mey so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to move onto Les Ormes next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Hey guys the brittany ferries experience was flawless and our crossing was the smoothest ever but I can't say I'm as impressed with la grande Metairie.
    You can't get anything to eat before 6pm, no li lows in the lazy river, the soccer pitches are rock hard and lacking grass and the playground is basic at best.

But the thing I'm most disappointed in is the night-time entertainment, or lack there of, there was a match one night absolutely nothing last night and outdoor bowls the first night.

Compared to every other campsite we've been to, its abysmal.

We've done carnac, carnac plage, Auray and la trinite Sur mey so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to move onto Les Ormes next week.
    Dont think entertainment starts until July(they actually do have a good entertainment team there when its running), but trust me you're not missing anything on the food.
    Agree on the condition of football pitch/ crazy golf.

Thats strange about the pool, never had any issues there with any inflatables (only French campsite i've been that had no restrictions).
    Regarding Carnac, I'd recommend the segway tours if you havent done any yet - https://www.mobilboard.com/en/agency/segway/carnac

Is wifi still as bad ad ever on site?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all those replies. I think I'm going to look into Cork to Santander next year, but the camps around that coast of Spain don't seem the best, and there are not as many camps to choose from as there are in France. So possible would be interested in driving from Santander to the very South Coast of France. If anyone has any suggestions on camps I'd be grateful, but I'm going to look more into that when we get back from France this year. Regardless of if the weather won't be great in Brittany this time - we are so excited! The holiday begins when you get on the ferry....we totally switch off from work etc. Can't wait.

Have a look at La Carabasse. The pool there is great, there is a big pool, not deep, just to the kids waist so they have plenty of room for fun. Kids clubs are great and the staff go out of their way to ensure they know everything about the kids.

Beach is close by also and very safe.

Advertisement