Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Hey guys the brittany ferries experience was flawless and our crossing was the smoothest ever but I can't say I'm as impressed with la grande Metairie.
    You can't get anything to eat before 6pm, no li lows in the lazy river, the soccer pitches are rock hard and lacking grass and the playground is basic at best.

But the thing I'm most disappointed in is the night-time entertainment, or lack there of, there was a match one night absolutely nothing last night and outdoor bowls the first night.

Compared to every other campsite we've been to, its abysmal.

We've done carnac, carnac plage, Auray and la trinite Sur mey so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to move onto Les Ormes next week.
    No floaties in the lazy river?! My two will be majorly disappointed 🙠That was literally all they did last year at that pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Have a look at La Carabasse. The pool there is great, there is a big pool, not deep, just to the kids waist so they have plenty of room for fun. Kids clubs are great and the staff go out of their way to ensure they know everything about the kids.

Beach is close by also and very safe.
    Thanks for suggestion! Will def look into that one for next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

No floaties in the lazy river?! My two will be majorly disappointed 🙠That was literally all they did last year at that pool.

No sorry don't get the wrong impression, my two kids brought in an inflatable orange segment and a li low and they were told the only things that were allowed were Donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Thanks guys for all those replies. I think I'm going to look into Cork to Santander next year, but the camps around that coast of Spain don't seem the best, and there are not as many camps to choose from as there are in France. So possible would be interested in driving from Santander to the very South Coast of France. If anyone has any suggestions on camps I'd be grateful, but I'm going to look more into that when we get back from France this year. Regardless of if the weather won't be great in Brittany this time - we are so excited! The holiday begins when you get on the ferry....we totally switch off from work etc. Can't wait.

How long is Cork Santander Ferry? Are the prices similar to IF to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Deeman83 wrote:
    How long is Cork Santander Ferry? Are the prices similar to IF to France?

186 metres.

It takes 2 months each way and the price is seven times more than IF to France.

But if you don't think my answer is reliable you could do something drastic like look at their frigging website.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Well, just had a quick look at the website myself.

Crossing takes 26 and a half hours. Prices for a couple of a random dates in July this year are €494 each way for a car with two adults and one child (that'd be our travelling party), plus €189 each way for a cabin, to give a grand total of €1,366. And here's what it says about the boat itself:

Connemara joins our fleet of économie vessels that have been operating between the UK, France and Spain for a number of years. This is a simple, yet comfortable, no-frills service without the premium experience offered by our cruise ferry Pont-Aven between Ireland and France.

Self-service restaurant with limited choice
    Small bar and boutique
    No entertainment
    Limited public seating
    Some vehicles may be parked on an open-air deck
    Accessibility limitations
    No lift

Have to say that all things considered, it wouldn't appeal to me. But each to their own....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Duffryman wrote: »
    Well, just had a quick look at the website myself.

Crossing takes 26 and a half hours. Prices for a couple of a random dates in July this year are €494 each way for a car with two adults and one child (that'd be our travelling party), plus €189 each way for a cabin, to give a grand total of €1,366. And here's what it says about the boat itself:

Connemara joins our fleet of économie vessels that have been operating between the UK, France and Spain for a number of years. This is a simple, yet comfortable, no-frills service without the premium experience offered by our cruise ferry Pont-Aven between Ireland and France.

Self-service restaurant with limited choice
    Small bar and boutique
    No entertainment
    Limited public seating
    Some vehicles may be parked on an open-air deck
    Accessibility limitations
    No lift

Have to say that all things considered, it wouldn't appeal to me. But each to their own....

Pretty much the same as the Stena Horizon on the Rosslare -> Cherbourg route. Nothing glam but plenty comfortable and although limited in choice the food in my experience (on Stena) was grand and not overly priced. Definitely not a restaurant experience but functional.

If you have young kids however it may be a bit less enjoyable as there's little for them to do and no kids entertainment. Back when my kids were kids just stepping onto the OW with the face painting at the top of the stairs and stage show, kiddies disco, cinema etc plus the whole ability to just ramble around different places was something they looked forward to rather than something to endure which I think they'd have found ships like the Horizon and Connemara to be.

First world problems easily enough addressed with a bit of planning, decks of cards, books, movies etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Actually just back from a trip on the Stena Horizon ourselves, and found it fine. Suppose you could say 'limited choice' regarding the food on it too, but I was happy enough with the size of the bar area in it, and I wouldn't describe it as 'limited public seating' either. Then again, others might have a different view.

Thing is, Rosslare to Cherbourg is approx 17 hours, while Cork to Santander is 26 and a half. Wouldn't have liked to have to spend another 10 hours on the Rosslare ferry. So if Cork to Santander one is of same general standard, wouldn't fancy almost 27 hours on it either.

Duffryman wrote: »
    Thing is, Rosslare to Cherbourg is approx 17 hours, while Cork to Santander is 26 and a half. Wouldn't have liked to have to spend another 10 hours on the Rosslare ferry. So if Cork to Santander one is of same general standard, wouldn't fancy almost 27 hours on it either.

Same, AFAIK they are more or less identical boats so like you I'm happy enough with what the Horizon offers for the 17 hour Rosslare to Cherbourg crossing as it's basically - get on - get room organised - go to bar - eat and drink - bed - coffee - hit the road.

26 hours on the other hand would require a ton of boring awake time which could be more challenging and be easier passed in a bit more comfort on something like the OW or Pont Aven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Heading to France next Wednesday and down into Dordogne. Forecasted temperatures looking a little crazy - 35+.

Yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Heading to France next Wednesday and down into Dordogne. Forecasted temperatures looking a little crazy - 35+.

Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Down in canet in South East at present. 30/31 here yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

54&56,
    I am trying to send you a PM but I keep on getting failed notices, that boards do not recognise your username. Tried replying to your PM, just typing 54&56 but nothing is working. Just wondering did you get PM's since you changed your username?
    Send me a PM if I am doing something incorrectly, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

First Up wrote: »
    186 metres.

It takes 2 months each way and the price is seven times more than IF to France.

But if you don't think my answer is reliable you could do something drastic like look at their frigging website.

theres always one on every forum.

Deeman83 wrote:
    theres always one on every forum.

And our work isn't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

pmpa wrote: »
    54&56,
    I am trying to send you a PM but I keep on getting failed notices, that boards do not recognise your username. Tried replying to your PM, just typing 54&56 but nothing is working. Just wondering did you get PM's since you changed your username?

Are you "underscoring" his name as you type?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Are you "underscoring" his name as you type?

He sent me a PM and I'm pressing reply to the message but it says the username isn't recognised. Tried just typing 54&56, no luck either.
    I'll try that now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Came over on Tues on the OW with IF, I find the the layout of the new ship far better then the old ship. I think the open plan areas are easier to have a large group together that doesn't want to be in the bar area with kids. I over heard some people saying the atmosphere wasn't there anymore, but with 3 kids we create our own away from the bar area.The addition of the pizza area and a pizza and pint for €14 is good value compared to most mainland prices. Food quality and prices are still pricey, but I don't blame them when u have a captivated audience. Quality is good pizzas are very nice. Prices of beer though.... My god, temple bar wud blush.. kids play area is on deck 10, but like the last ship it's entry the area at your own risk... Some parents really do feel the holiday starts once they get on the boat.. sheer abandonment.. Beds in the cabins are defo smaller width and length, 6' 1 and I was hanging off the end. Cabins are smaller but slightly, cots are for small babies, our 2 yr old couldn't fit in it. Sailing was smooth. Getting off was far less of an event this time. U literally were told go the car and everyone walked down at a leisurely pace to their cars, before you were held on deck and certain areas were let go and a mad rush ensued. Used speedy exit this time for the first time and not sure if it's worth the money if getting off was such an effortless event. Weather cracking in vendee.. happy days.

54&56,

Just PM'd you there. Hopefully that fixes it!

54&56 wrote: »
    Just PM'd you there. Hopefully that fixes it!
    Still no luck, tried replying to the new PM and clicking on your username. I keep on getting back " the following users were not found". Tried on a phone and laptop.

• Advertisement

Still no luck, tried replying to the new PM and clicking on your username. I keep on getting back " the following users were not found". Tried on a phone and laptop.

No worries, theres a surprise in your inbox :P

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Hey guys the brittany ferries experience was flawless and our crossing was the smoothest ever but I can't say I'm as impressed with la grande Metairie.
    You can't get anything to eat before 6pm, no li lows in the lazy river, the soccer pitches are rock hard and lacking grass and the playground is basic at best.

But the thing I'm most disappointed in is the night-time entertainment, or lack there of, there was a match one night absolutely nothing last night and outdoor bowls the first night.

Compared to every other campsite we've been to, its abysmal.

We've done carnac, carnac plage, Auray and la trinite Sur mey so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to move onto Les Ormes next week.

Is Pont Aven taking any longer than usual to make the Cork-Roscoff crossing with the out of action engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

Max Moment wrote: »
    Is Pont Aven taking any longer than usual to make the Cork-Roscoff crossing with the out of action engine?

Doesn’t seem to be, arrived bang on time last Sunday morning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Pont Aven fine, only problem was docked at 6.55 am French time and off boat at 8.30am , they blamed it on immigration.

mcgarrett wrote:
    Pont Aven fine, only problem was docked at 6.55 am French time and off boat at 8.30am , they blamed it on immigration.

Security more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi just wondering . First time going to campsite in France. Flying into Nantes. Heading to le clays plage. What is the easiest way to transfer. Was thinking of hiring a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

valtra2 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering . First time going to campsite in France. Flying into Nantes. Heading to le clays plage. What is the easiest way to transfer. Was thinking of hiring a car.

Hiring a car would certainly help, some of the better attractions around would need a car to get to them. But if your just down for a quiet holiday and don’t intend going too far then you can get a train to St Jean de Monts as far as I remember then maybe taxi it from there (20min drive). But if I were you, a car would be handy to have. Plenty to see and do in St Gilles and St Jean de Monts both about 20 mins away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

valtra2 wrote: »

Car probably the best. Train would get you to Challans, about 20 minutes away. It's about an hour and 20 minutes drive roughly to the campsite.
    You dont really need a car once there though. Large supermarket alongside you and the beach is a 5 minute walk away. Renting bikes is a good option for cycling into St. Jean De Monts, very flat road and the beach there is fantastic.
    It's a great campsite, especially since they expanded the pool and bar area 2 or 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

In Clarys plage at the moment, I wud recommend hiring a car, it's just if it rains (like at the mo) the cabins can be very small with kids, at least with a car u can go to many of the attractions around the place. If u don't hire a car, as said earlier large supermarket 3 mins away, beach 10 mins away.

On a side note if u want a quieter stay ask to stay across the road away from pool. Main site can be very loud at night with teens etc. All depends on if u have kids with u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

Hello. I'm wondering how people have found the experience of accessing Dublin Port for the W.B. Yeats (WBY)?
    I'm taking the ferry this Friday at 4pm and wondering how much time I will need to get in to the port. Coming from Dundrum direction and aiming to be at the port for around 2pm. I will keep an eye on Dublin traffic using Google Maps, the AA and Dublin City Council traffic websites.
    Any reports/advice from people who have accessed Dublin Port for the WBY would be appreciated.

Advertisement