Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

anyhoo, we're toying with the idea of heading over on the cork- roscoff ferry in late october, and kinda do an unplanned road trip - pick hotels within an hour or so's range and move around at our ease. has anyone any experience of late october weather in the region? Ideally, we wont be heading much further south than St Jean De monts as I dont want to be driving for hours and hours.

It'll be grand for golf and walks but forget about swimming, lying on the beach or al fresco dining.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dónal wrote: »
    For breakdown insurance, I've bought from roadrescue.ie plenty of times before. They include repatriation of the car in their policy. Never had to use them before though.
    Tried purchasing online last Friday and after bank details processed, it crashed.
    Tried again later: it crashed again.
    Noticed my bank had been debited twice for €71 but I've not received an email confirming purchase or anything.
    Tried phoning them - no answer.
    Emailed them via their website. No response.
    Phoned them 8 times today and continues to ring out (until you get the "we value your call please leave your details and we'll call you back" which i left once and not heard back).
    Emailed them again this afternoon and no response again.
    I understand that it's just over one complete working day since the transaction but by now I'd have thought I'd have gotten somewhere in terms of communicating with them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hello all, used to be a regular poster here but took the last year off to explore something different.

anyhoo, we're toying with the idea of heading over on the cork- roscoff ferry in late october, and kinda do an unplanned road trip - pick hotels within an hour or so's range and move around at our ease. has anyone any experience of late october weather in the region? Ideally, we wont be heading much further south than St Jean De monts as I dont want to be driving for hours and hours.

Hey SD4E, good to hear from you.

I don't have personal experience of SJDM that time of year but based on this website which I use as a weather predictor when travelling to new locations you're looking at:-

- 9% chance of a sunny day.
    - Average temp of 14c (low of 10c and max of 18c).
    - 43% chance of rain on any day.

Sounds grand to me for a mid term break type adventure for a few days focused on visiting historic/interesting sites, strolling/driving around, going to markets and generally enjoying experiences at a leisurely pace without the throngs of people you'd otherwise have to encounter in high season. Hotels should be much cheaper and I'd say there'd be plenty of "specials" in restaurants etc to attract your business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Tried purchasing online last Friday and after bank details processed, it crashed.
    Tried again later: it crashed again.
    Noticed my bank had been debited twice for €71 but I've not received an email confirming purchase or anything.
    Tried phoning them - no answer.
    Emailed them via their website. No response.
    Phoned them 8 times today and continues to ring out (until you get the "we value your call please leave your details and we'll call you back" which i left once and not heard back).
    Emailed them again this afternoon and no response again.
    I understand that it's just over one complete working day since the transaction but by now I'd have thought I'd have gotten somewhere in terms of communicating with them :(

I used roadrescue.ie myself for our recent trip to France, after asking here first for advice on breakdown cover, and other people mentioning them.

I’d no problem with the payment stage myself, but what DID strike me as strange was that I got no confirmation e-mail from them afterwards. Luckily, I’d happened to print off the confirmation page on the site itself after paying (this had things like the contact number, our policy number, etc.) – but I don’t normally do this, since I expect to get those details in an e-mail anyway.

Just wondering then what’s anybody else’s recent experience of getting or not getting a confirmation mail from them, or of trying to contact them? Wonder would they be as difficult to get hold of if a breakdown actually happened, and you were stuck by the side of the road somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Irish Ferries allow you to add breakdown insurance (done with Allianz) if you are traveling with them. It cost me 35 euro for 17 days. It covers breakdown and getting you home.

• Advertisement

Car needs to be less than 10 years old with cover through IF.
    My car is a 09 reg :(

Car needs to be less than 10 years old with cover through IF.
    My car is a 09 reg :(

Oh yeah, should have said I have a 05 reg, so there are alternatives for newer cars.

Couldn't get euro breakdown insurance the first few times i went to France that wasn't insane, although the car I had at that point was 18 years old (93 corolla).

Picked it up for €91 from breakdowncover.ie and managed to get my policy docs etc.
    Sent an email to roadrescue to refund all of my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Hi all, having a ball in Le Clarys Plage again at the moment but just thinking about next year. The kids are now a bit older and can handle the car journey better. So we were thinking of heading further south next year. Has anyone recommendations of parks similar to LCP but down a bit?? Just want to try something different. Any info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

raddo wrote: »
    Hi all, having a ball in Le Clarys Plage again at the moment but just thinking about next year. The kids are now a bit older and can handle the car journey better. So we were thinking of heading further south next year. Has anyone recommendations of parks similar to LCP but down a bit?? Just want to try something different. Any info would be great.

Le Littoral is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestion of the Segways in Le grand Metairie it was the highlight of the trip.
    Won't be going back though as the entertainment and lack of food and drink during the day is a major let down.

We arrived in Les Mouettes yesterday after 8 nights in Les Ormes and it was great as usual but I can see the place slipping slightly and playgrounds and other facilities needing a huge revamp.
    Had 2 days in the dome and while it's an awesome structure they basically just built it over the old pools and lazy river and none of the new pools are ready yet, it's still like a building site.

The difference between the last day in June to the 1st of July was poles apart with crowds and queues everywhere. The bar needs to be 3 times the size. Can't even imagine how hectic August would be.

While it's our third visit to Mouettes the I'm looking for more small towns and attractions to visit nearby as my parents have joined us.

We've done Roscoff today, Carantec tomorrow, going to Morlaix on Saturday and doing Saint Pol de Leon Tuesday so if anyone has any other tips I'd appreciate them please.

Also a major tip for anyone visiting Saint Malo with a tall car and a roof box, take the roof box off!!!!!
    I have a caddy maxi and all the carparks had 1.9 metre barriers so we drove around for 35 minutes looking for a spot on the side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Also a major tip for anyone visiting Saint Malo with a tall car and a roof box, take the roof box off!!!!!

this is good advice in all circumstances, the barriers at carparks are a bloody nuisance with a roofbox. Take it off as soon as you get onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The kids are now a bit older and can handle the car journey better. So we were thinking of heading further south next year. Has anyone recommendations of parks similar to LCP but down a bit?? Just want to try something different.
    I'm looking for more small towns and attractions to visit nearby as my parents have joined us.

While it's traditionally Irish (certainly amongst the contributors to this thread) to hang around Brittany, Normandy and the Pays-de-la-Loire, putting in a decent days' drive is well worth the effort if you really want "different" ... the first difference being the lack of huge crowds! Loads of things to do (wolf park, giant labyrinth, small and big festivals, swimming in pools and lakes, firework displays, free sports trials and circus clubs for children, historic monuments and art exhibitions for the adults, etc, etc, etc. All targeted at a very different market to the rich Irish, so generally very much better value than anything you'll get near the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Just back (2A 3k) from Le Clarys Plage vendee, we were put across the road when we arrived to the eurocamp cabin, and when I saw this I was mildly disappointed to be away from pool, bar etc. But my god after the10days how thankful were we that we had being on the "quieter side". It's a huge site, we had never being to a site so big, and with such a large contingent of Irish on site. Our thoughts after it, is it's mental, what seemed like feral kids on bikes and running around all evening and night on the main site.

The site and facilities cannot be faulted, high quality pool area, clean bar and takeaway area. Food from takeaway is good and I didn't feel overpriced.

But the staff had hard work in pool area and bar area trying to keep kids & teens controlled and probably to try not upset mum's and dads by attracting them to the kids behavior..

Our thoughts are we won't be there again or to a site of its size again, obviously some people like this, but for us it's a negative for Le Clarys Plage.

Totally agree with this review. We're just back and also stayed across the road which we loved. You could let the kids play some the campsite without too much worry. Feral is the best description for the main site in the evening. Saying that I brought my boys to play football some evenings and there were lovely groups of children who were really good at including all ages. We went to the bar for 15 mins one night and it wasn't for us. Happy to sit on the deck and have a drink with the lovely people in neighbouring mobiles. We didn't have to queue for kids club but that was perhaps luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

_Brian wrote: »
    Le Littoral is great.

Just finishing up our third year there. It’s brilliant.

Having the premium cabins was a bonus with the air conditioning during the savage heat. It’s just been taken over by a new group and we were worried that standards would drop but they are prob a bit better (WiFi and air conditioning two improvements off the top of my head). Think the new owners put a few quid into it as there are also more luxury accommodation.

We have already booked to come again next year, kids enjoyed it. It’s safe, feels safe and generally people are friendly and respectful.

Goto Puis De Fuis if you are anywhere in this region, it’s a class day out for the kids. You could spend a few days at the park to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

Drumpot wrote: »
    Go to Puis De Fuis if you are anywhere in this region, it’s a class day out for the kids. You could spend a few days at the park to be fair.
    [link=http://www.puydufou.com/en] http://www.puydufou.com/en[/link]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think the new owners put a few quid into it as there are also more luxury accommodation.
    I don't think the campsite ownership has changed, it's just they've gone in with the new franchise/ group/ whatever it is.

The reduced free wifi at the bar was a backward step we felt, but most other aspects remained the same. We'd be back, only ours have kinda outgrown it now (and we want to try a different site, and probably a different region). Would definitely recommend for anyone with 10 and unders though!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't think the campsite ownership has changed, it's just they've gone in with the new franchise/ group/ whatever it is.

The reduced free wifi at the bar was a backward step we felt, but most other aspects remained the same. We'd be back, only ours have kinda outgrown it now (and we want to try a different site, and probably a different region). Would definitely recommend for anyone with 10 and unders though!

Ah right, got that from a person staying in the camp about the ownership. Our WiFi was better this year in our accommodation (solid connection and up to 7 devices), we didn’t have air conditioning last year either. We have three kids all under 11 which as you say is ideal for this spot.

I wouldn’t mind trying somewhere else but we are comfortable here and our eldest has a friend who comes every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Irish Ferries allow you to add breakdown insurance (done with Allianz) if you are traveling with them. It cost me 35 euro for 17 days. It covers breakdown and getting you home.

I've done landbridge (Ireland - UK - France) for a change this year so we could do the theme parks all the way then go to France for a relaxing holiday. This post reminded me that last year I added the breakdown insurance online to my exsiting booking. So I tried to do it again this year but unfortunately it gave me no options online to manage the booking. I contacted IF but to my supprise they wont offer me the breakdown cover because I paid in part with Tesco vouchers :mad:

Just as an FYI for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Just finishing up our third year there. It’s brilliant.

Having the premium cabins was a bonus with the air conditioning during the savage heat. It’s just been taken over by a new group and we were worried that standards would drop but they are prob a bit better (WiFi and air conditioning two improvements off the top of my head). Think the new owners put a few quid into it as there are also more luxury accommodation.

We have already booked to come again next year, kids enjoyed it. It’s safe, feels safe and generally people are friendly and respectful.

Goto Puis De Fuis if you are anywhere in this region, it’s a class day out for the kids. You could spend a few days at the park to be fair.

Hi just wondering did you book direct with site? Was the deal that good you booked so early? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hi just wondering did you book direct with site? Was the deal that good you booked so early? TIA

We found booking direct was cheaper both last year and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

What site did you book with? Was trying on the sandaya site but it won't let me book for next year.
    Was there couple year ago and thinking of heading back.

We have been coming here for the last three years. I’ve asked my wife and she doesn’t remember , she thinks Initially booked it by emailing them (when it was with yelloh!). Since year 1 we book immediately as we leave. She suggested trying their Facebook page.

Tonight was great , had a band called “tracklist” playing and they were great. Already booked in for next year, can’t fault this place. If you have any questions please ask, I really can’t say enough good things about this place.

We have been coming here for the last three years. I’ve asked my wife and she doesn’t remember , she thinks Initially booked it by emailing them (when it was with yelloh!). Since year 1 we book immediately as we leave. She suggested trying their Facebook page.

Tonight was great , had a band called “tracklist” playing and they were great. Already booked in for next year, can’t fault this place. If you have any questions please ask, I really can’t say enough good things about this place.

I asked them as I checked out , they said they aren’t taking any bookings until end of September. They said to phone them if around then if you want to put your name down. Think this place is highly sought after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I asked them as I checked out , they said they aren’t taking any bookings until end of September. They said to phone them if around then if you want to put your name down. Think this place is highly sought after.
    That was our experience last year when we tried to book. We've gone around the June bank holiday the last two years. After seeing and experiencing Ascension Day weekend, and effectively high season shows and activities, aiming for the summer next year.

We really loved the last two years at Littoral, but once their friends were gone there wasn't a whole lot for the tweens and teens we felt. The friends kinda carried it this year (along with the afternoon sport), whereas last year they loved the morning kids club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We going clarys plage in August, only problem is there doesn't seem to be a football pitch and our young fella spends half his time on the pitches when we go away

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Just back from saint avit loisirs then castell montgri. 2 totally different sites. Loisirs was fab but really quiet as wasn't the high season then. We loved the pool complex and its a cashless site where you put money on their own card from your cc and you get a balance every time you use it. Site is really remote and the roads aren't great. Staff are amazing, really helpful. Didn't buy WiFi.

Montgrí in Spain was so busy. The sunbed set up is crazy. By 9.30 all beds were reserved at the main pool and its 4€ a bed. I've never paid for a lounger in 9 yrs going to France. Good facilities for older teens and they hang around in packs. WiFi only at pool area and 10 mins free at a time or otherwise pay 15€ pw for continuous use but still only at pool. Mini golf for 4 people on site 14.50€. Bar was cheapish 3.80 a pint. Restaurant was poor. Site is very hilly but very safe. Having come from la sirene for the last 3 yrs we felt Montgrí wasn't for us. We normally go 1st 2 wks of June but had junior cert this Yr so went 3 weeks later than usual maybe this would account for Montgrí being so busy. Wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

What's the best way to get from Nantes airport to la clays plage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

valtra2 wrote: »
    What's the best way to get from Nantes airport to la clays plage.

Bus or train to St Jean de Monts/Challans would be an option, (bus from airport to train station in Nantes around 15 to 20 minutes,) then taxi from there to the site, another 10 from St. Jean, 20 from Challans.
    Know anyone over there that could collect you?
    Rent a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Would you say Le Littoral is aimed mostly at families with pre-teen kids or is theres a separate/good scene for older teens (16-19) who like hanging out, having a few beers, listening to thump thump music etc?

I ask because as our kids have gotten older we were faced with the choice of a) bringing them somewhere where they would be bored most of the day and with little to do at night, b) find a site which had a good program for that older age group or c) give up the campsite type holiday all together and go with a traditional package or villa rental so we went with plan B and now go to La Reserve which has a separate Luna Bar in July/Aug which only gets going when the main "family" entertainment is finishing up around 11pm. It's a bit clubby and stays open until 1am at which point a lot of the teenagers head to the onsite lake beach, build cap fires and stay up until 3am or 4am but generally without causing a racket or annoying people trying to sleep as the part of the beach they go to is a good bit away from the nearest accommodation and the onsite security guards seem to manage it rather than ban it, at least that's been our experience over the last 2-3 years.

Le Littoral would be half the drive so I'm interested in your view on it's suitability for older teens.

Advertisement