Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

54&56 wrote: »
    Would you say Le Littoral is aimed mostly at families with pre-teen kids or is theres a separate/good scene for older teens (16-19) who like hanging out, having a few beers, listening to thump thump music etc?

I ask because as our kids have gotten older we were faced with the choice of a) bringing them somewhere where they would be bored most of the day and with little to do at night, b) find a site which had a good program for that older age group or c) give up the campsite type holiday all together and go with a traditional package or villa rental so we went with plan B and now go to La Reserve which has a separate Luna Bar in July/Aug which only gets going when the main "family" entertainment is finishing up around 11pm. It's a bit clubby and stays open until 1am at which point a lot of the teenagers head to the onsite lake beach, build cap fires and stay up until 3am or 4am but generally without causing a racket or annoying people trying to sleep as the part of the beach they go to is a good bit away from the nearest accommodation and the onsite security guards seem to manage it rather than ban it, at least that's been our experience over the last 2-3 years.

Le Littoral would be half the drive so I'm interested in your view on it's suitability for older teens.

I’d have to say it’s primarily a pre-teen camp. Everything closes at around 11-11.30. You’d have to leave the site to do anything afterwards and I’m not aware of anything specific close by for teenagers or older children. That’s not to say there isn’t stuff for them to do locally, I just don’t know if there is or not. There
    Are some towns within 10 mins drive or so but that may not suit what you are looking for. Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

I’m looking for some advice from people who may have made the same trip before.
    We are arriving in Roscoff next Sunday morning (Bastille Day) and driving to a Paris suburb - Ivry Sur Seine. Approx 6hrs.
    Besides just typing the address into the sat nav and following the route, does anyone have any tips on the route to take or places to stop on the journey across? As it is Bastille Day will the motorway stops be open as usual? I can’t find any info online.
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

54&56 wrote:
    Le Littoral would be half the drive so I'm interested in your view on it's suitability for older teens.
    I wouldn't think so. We're moving on as our pre teens have outgrown the activities, pool etc. Great site, and we'd happily go back, but for that.

Any pitches at la reserve? Actually sounds interesting for a couple of years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We going clarys plage in August, only problem is there doesn't seem to be a football pitch and our young fella spends half his time on the pitches when we go away

Area by kids club for beach soccer. Goals and enclosed for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

when the main "family" entertainment is finishing up around 11pm. It's a bit clubby and stays open until 1am at which point a lot of the teenagers head to the onsite lake beach, build cap fires and stay up until 3am or 4am

:eek:

Sooooo early! :D I'll be looking after a few teens next week. They'll be working till midnight, then knocking off work to make the most of the rest of the "evening's" entertainment (live music & dance, midnight to 4am), and then the spontaneous part of the night, till they get shooed out of the park at sunrise (unless they've opted to do the morning clean-up shift, in which case they work from 7 till 10am, and go to bed just as we start up the next day!

Been doing it for years, and they all come back for more.

Gotta love tourist-free central France! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestion of the Segways in Le grand Metairie it was the highlight of the trip.
    Won't be going back though as the entertainment and lack of food and drink during the day is a major let down.

Totally agree, we were there in June and I think that Le grand Metairie is definitely trading on past reputation a bit, crazy golf is very tired, playground pretty basic, the food situation during the day makes no sense. Also while most of the staff seem to try hard, the main reception didn't go out of their way to explain things or help with queries. Whilst the kids enjoyed it there is better out there so we wont be going back either

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

We are considering this type of holiday for summer 2020. But before i go researching can I get a general view on whether we would be mad with a 2 year old on board? Our other two will be 9 and 7 so I'm sure they would just love the pool scene and any kids club stuff but with a 2 year old are we mad considering it so soon? Really I'd like to know whether people just stay put once they reach the campsite or would you go on various day trips. I know that's a very general question but trying to get a feel before spending hours on line looking at destinations. We would fly (snn or cork) rather than ferry and probably hire a car from airport. I was more inclined to go regular package holiday with transfers etc included but hubby is keen to try France..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any pitches at la reserve? Actually sounds interesting for a couple of years down the line.

Just on the ferry on our way to La Reserve right now.

14 year old daughter has outgrown the organised camps and is too young for the older teen activity but still finds lots to do day and night and is loves going back.

My 18 year old son who just finished the leaving cert is staying home to go to a festival this weekend but is flying into Bordeaux with a friend next weekend and they are staying about 10 days with us. Their daily routine will be:-

Get up around 12 noon
    Have lunch with us
    Go to the pool or lake for 2-3 hours
    Go to the sports pitch around 5pm where the older kids (13-19) congregate and play 5 a side soccer until about 7pm.
    Back to the mobile to chill and get showered etc
    Dinner with us and just hang at the mobile until about 10:30 then head out to the Luna bar until 1am and the beach until 3am or 4am.

Rinse and repeat next day with some minor tweaks which might involve going to the local lake based water adventure park, climbing Dune du Pilat or spending the afternoon at the local beach town of Mimizan.

Next year my son is planning to go inter railing for the summer so won't be joining us in La Reserve and next year my daughter will be bringing a friend so the dynamic will change but that's life I guess.

:eek:

Sooooo early! :D I'll be looking after a few teens next week. They'll be working till midnight, then knocking off work to make the most of the rest of the "evening's" entertainment (live music & dance, midnight to 4am), and then the spontaneous part of the night, till they get shooed out of the park at sunrise (unless they've opted to do the morning clean-up shift, in which case they work from 7 till 10am, and go to bed just as we start up the next day!

Been doing it for years, and they all come back for more.

Gotta love tourist-free central France! :cool:

What do you work at? Sounds very social / exotic!!

What do you work at? Sounds very social / exotic!!

It's a music and dance (trad) festival. 5 nights, 4 days; one of many throughout the summer, but ours is specifically built around the social side - so six dancefloors, but only two bands announced in advance; the rest is open-mic style (mostly without the mics). Dozens of nationalities from six continents, but rarely get any Irish ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Looking for a good camp on northern France for 2020. Need something with kids camp or something during the day to keep kids amused. Also if a fairground type thing in area would be good.....

Entertainment at night time? Kids will be 7,5,3 when travelling, don’t mind a bit of drive after ferry, maybe 4-5 hours but just wondering what is recommended? Thanks

It's a music and dance (trad) festival. 5 nights, 4 days; one of many throughout the summer, but ours is specifically built around the social side - so six dancefloors, but only two bands announced in advance; the rest is open-mic style (mostly without the mics). Dozens of nationalities from six continents, but rarely get any Irish ...

Fair play CR, you're living the dream..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

We are considering this type of holiday for summer 2020. But before i go researching can I get a general view on whether we would be mad with a 2 year old on board? Our other two will be 9 and 7 so I'm sure they would just love the pool scene and any kids club stuff but with a 2 year old are we mad considering it so soon? Really I'd like to know whether people just stay put once they reach the campsite or would you go on various day trips. I know that's a very general question but trying to get a feel before spending hours on line looking at destinations. We would fly (snn or cork) rather than ferry and probably hire a car from airport. I was more inclined to go regular package holiday with transfers etc included but hubby is keen to try France..thanks

Our youngest is 6 and he’s been coming with us on these kind of holidays since he was 9 months old. He’s always loved it.

Fair play CR, you're living the dream..... :-)

This week, at least! Tried to send you a PM, but apparently you don't exist ! :eek: Maybe send one from your end if you'd like more info for yourself/the teens.

Have being bringing our kids (8,6,2) all since babies, toddler stage is the worst on hols as they wanna explore everywhere and everything at once..have driven always. I rather the Jeep carry the baby seats than me :-) when u arrive you'd only use the car if the weather was bad in my experience. a quick search on this thread will answer ur questions on locations and campsites

Macy0161 wrote: »

You have to love the invasivness of Google. We're driving to La Reserve right now and what pops up on my Google news app? An article by a parent with three teenage boys who was struggling to keep them interested in French campsite holidays until he discovered La Reserve and goes on to sing the praises of both the campsite and local area, see http://www.tootlafrance.ie/travel/biscarrosse-teenagers-paradise

This week, at least! Tried to send you a PM, but apparently you don't exist ! :eek: Maybe send one from your end if you'd like more info for yourself/the teens.

Yep, apparently the symbol "&" in my username defeats Boards PM function, just ask PMPA :-)

I've an old Boards account i don't use any more which I'll send you PM from. My young lad and his pals might well be interested in attending next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You have to love the invasivness of Google. We're driving to La Reserve right now and what pops up on my Google news app? An article by a parent with three teenage boys who was struggling to keep them interested in French campsite holidays until he discovered La Reserve and goes on to sing the praises of both the campsite and local area, see http://www.tootlafrance.ie/travel/biscarrosse-teenagers-paradise
    No pitches from what I can see, mobile homes only, which rules it out for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

just back from two weeks in the Alps in two different campsites
    didn't take the ferry as it was too far of a drive

great holiday though

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Is there any Travel insurance that includes car breakdown available or must I purchase separately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wifi - anyone ever use hippocketwifi before? I've read some very good reviews but I've not heard of them before. 130 euro approx for unlimited wifi in France , 4g LTE, 100mb/s, for 3 weeks, for upto 10 devices, works when travelling aswell. Considering it, as campsite wifi is always periodic and would cost a bit for 3 weeks aswell.
    Thoughts?

:eek: :eek: :eek: 130€

Buy a Free SIM card instead, available in their own high-street stores and from dispensing machine in lots of small newsagents and the like.

10€ for the card, 20€/month (you can cancel it after a month). 100GB 4G data, calls, texts, etc within France and to numbers outside of France, 25GB 3G data elsewhere in the EU. Tethering allowed (not sure if there's a max number of devices; if there is, it's higher than four because I've run that many simulateously without getting any warning).

If you want to keep the service active, you can pay 10€ to downgrade the card to a 2€/month plan, and upgrade it again later (they might even taunt you with a 10€/month offer).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Buy a Free SIM card instead, available in their own high-street stores and from dispensing machine in lots of small newsagents and the like.

10€ for the card, 20€/month (you can cancel it after a month). 100GB 4G data, calls, texts, etc within France and to numbers outside of France, 25GB 3G data elsewhere in the EU. Tethering allowed (not sure if there's a max number of devices; if there is, it's higher than four because I've run that many simulateously without getting any warning).

If you want to keep the service active, you can pay 10€ to downgrade the card to a 2€/month plan, and upgrade it again later (they might even taunt you with a 10€/month offer).

It would be split between 2 families, 4 adults 5 kids, between phones and tablets its the 10 devices that triggered my interest.

Hi Celtic, can these be bought online? Need to get something figured out for nxt yr, kids getting older now more of a drain on my data on phone. TIA

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Hi Celtic, can these be bought online? Need to get something figured out for nxt yr, kids getting older now more of a drain on my data on phone. TIA

Kind of ... Not sure whether or not they deliver to Ireland though.
    http://mobile.free.fr/
    Have just seen that they've got an introductory offer there for 9€/mo 50GB 4G data & all the usual other stuff, 4GB in 3G outside of France. I'm pretty sure there'd be a 10€ one-off fee for the SIM card on top of that

Probably easier to go to one of their machines, though : http://mobile.free.fr/assistance/692.html where you pick your number, pay your money, out pops a SIM card and off you go.

** Mobile phones in France are (just about) always sold unlocked, so anything sim-card based will be provided on that basis. If you've got a locked "Irish" phone, you'd probably be better off with a dongle or other box-type thing.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It would be split between 2 families, 4 adults 5 kids, between phones and tablets its the 10 devices that triggered my interest.

:eek: You must stay on some woeful campsites if nine of ye can't find anything to do other than all be online at the same time! Send the children over here to me and I'll show them that there's life outside th'internet! (Can't guarantee they'll want to go back home ... :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

:eek: You must stay on some woeful campsites if nine of ye can't find anything to do other than all be online at the same time! Send the children over here to me and I'll show them that there's life outside th'internet! (Can't guarantee they'll want to go back home ... :pac:)

I'd kinda agree with this in general tbh.
    Tis nice to get away from the mass smartphone/tablet addictions while abroad.
    Granted I can understand the usefulness from time to time of it.

Kind of ... Not sure whether or not they deliver to Ireland though.
    http://mobile.free.fr/
    Have just seen that they've got an introductory offer there for 9€/mo 50GB 4G data & all the usual other stuff, 4GB in 3G outside of France. I'm pretty sure there'd be a 10€ one-off fee for the SIM card on top of that

Probably easier to go to one of their machines, though : http://mobile.free.fr/assistance/692.html where you pick your number, pay your money, out pops a SIM card and off you go.

** Mobile phones in France are (just about) always sold unlocked, so anything sim-card based will be provided on that basis. If you've got a locked "Irish" phone, you'd probably be better off with a dongle or other box-type thing.

This suits me. I can put a dual SIM into my OnePlus, I'll give it a go and see what happens. Thks for your help.

kippy wrote: »
    I'd kinda agree with this in general tbh.
    Tis nice to get away from the mass smartphone/tablet addictions while abroad.
    Granted I can understand the usefulness from time to time of it.

Full disclosure : I do travel around France with a smartphone (two, in fact) and a 3G tablet, and two laptops, and French society is heavily skewed towards having a phone these days ... but at any social event, all ages combined, you'll rarely see those phones come out except at the end of the night (i.e. about 2am) when people are swapping numbers and confirming details of their next night's activity.

As I indicated in an earlier post, there's a huge variety of events that take place in France but pass under the radar of Irish people for (so it seems) the simple reason that Irish people stick to costal campsites and out-of-the-coolbox on-site entertainment. Bit of a shame, as "real France" is really quite different to the stereotype ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Just back from 2 weeks at Sol a GoGo near StJeans De Monts with a 8,7,4 and 3 year old. First return there in a few years and was glad to get back.
    Went with eurocamp this time out after getting a good deal. Caught the really hot weather at the start which was ok, except for night time. Tough going. No AC in the mobile but it didn't impact anyone too much.

The kids really enjoyed their time, split between the beach and pool. The did a few mornings in the kids club (run by the site) but it's very basic and takes place in a disused part of 1 of the shower blocks! They could really do with updating this aspect i.e. run a few football games every day/2nd day for the various age groups- that would keep most of the boys at least busy. As that was all my lads went to the club in anticipation of...some days they went to the football courts, some days they didn't. It wouldn't require much work by the site to put something as basic as that in place.

It's a small site and suited to the younger age groups really. Indoor and outdoor pools, good slides. Fairly relaxed rules on inflatables in the pool/slides etc.
    The bar/outdoor area is never packed and has entertainment on most eve's suited towards the kids ...karoke for example. GAA on the TV on Saturdays and Sundays if you need your fix.
    They've really upped the prices in the bar and that was noticable. €5.10 a pint of Heineken! and no local cheaper beer on offer as an alternative.

The WB Yeats was pleasant enough, except for the late arrival in France and return to Dublin. About 1.5hrs late both ends. Seems to be standard for all sailings based on chats I had with other people.
    €6 a pint! Cafe Lafayette does a pizza and pint deal for €14 but it's a basic pizza and not much eating in it even though it's a 12".
    Thats where the kids entertainment also takes place so it's no longer in the main bar area as before.
    We didn't have to go up the ramp either time with the car and so were parked on deck 5. There was plenty of space to get in and out of the car unlike on the Oscar Wilde.

Advertisement