Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We actually booked our campsite on the basis that we wouldn't need internet for 2 weeks.
    Phones stayed in the bags
    Bliss

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

:eek: You must stay on some woeful campsites if nine of ye can't find anything to do other than all be online at the same time! Send the children over here to me and I'll show them that there's life outside th'internet! (Can't guarantee they'll want to go back home ... :pac:)

On the contrary, but we generally do the pool, beach, cycling, ziplining etc together, so the downtime - evening time before bbq starts and nighttime in particular, is the time when most would actually be on line at the same time, 4 teenagers . Daytime surfing is minimal, if at all , on hols.
    But when its needed......its needed!
    I notice they have a 10% discount, so less than 20 a euro per family per week seems a good deal IF the streaming quality is as good as some of the reviews.
    Haven't tried your simm idea before so I'll have to look into it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

i agree. Kids need a break from the activities so some downtime on their tablets is ok.

Everything in moderation is fair enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

i agree. Kids need a break from the activities so some downtime on their tablets is ok.

Everything in moderation is fair enough

Except, food, drink, lazy days, bar for sports -any sport will do etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Except, food, drink, lazy days, bar for sports -any sport will do etc :)

Just enjoy it as before we know it, we be back in work and looking forward to.xmas

• Advertisement

Just enjoy it as before we know it, we be back in work and looking forward to.xmas

Going away for October midterm first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

I'm intrigued by your description. Can you say where the festival is or what it's called for future planning? Perhaps a PM?
    It's a music and dance (trad) festival. 5 nights, 4 days; one of many throughout the summer, but ours is specifically built around the social side - so six dancefloors, but only two bands announced in advance; the rest is open-mic style (mostly without the mics). Dozens of nationalities from six continents, but rarely get any Irish ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We are considering this type of holiday for summer 2020. But before i go researching can I get a general view on whether we would be mad with a 2 year old on board? Our other two will be 9 and 7 so I'm sure they would just love the pool scene and any kids club stuff but with a 2 year old are we mad considering it so soon? Really I'd like to know whether people just stay put once they reach the campsite or would you go on various day trips. I know that's a very general question but trying to get a feel before spending hours on line looking at destinations. We would fly (snn or cork) rather than ferry and probably hire a car from airport. I was more inclined to go regular package holiday with transfers etc included but hubby is keen to try France..thanks

We have kids around that age and have been bringing them on camping holidays from 9 months on. Our youngest is 2 and has had a ball.

We flew to Perpignan and stayed in https://www.camping-le-soleil.fr/campsite-argeles-france/ via eurocamp as they have the best located pitches. The toddler pools are excellent and they’ve added a new reserved shaded area for families with young kids which has been a huge addition for us from last year. Some really nice towns within driving/cycling/road train distance plus being on the beach is an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

batmanzed wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by your description. Can you say where the festival is or what it's called for future planning? Perhaps a PM?

PM sent, but for anyone else who might be interested, it's called Le Son Continu and takes place every year on/around the weekend of the 14th July in the grounds of a small château on the outskirts of La Châtre [36]. Crappy website and equally crappy facebook page (the rural French are still deeply attached to paper-based marketing :pac: ) but the festival itself is very well run.

(Used to be known as, and take place in, "Saint Chartier", for anyone who's got previous trad history.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

(Used to be known as, and take place in, "Saint Chartier", for anyone who's got previous trad history.

Ah that name brings the memories flooding back!

So does St Chartier no longer exist or is this an offshoot of some sort? (Just out of curiosity really, haven't been in at least a decade.)

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Ah that name brings the memories flooding back!

So does St Chartier no longer exist or is this an offshoot of some sort? (Just out of curiosity really, haven't been in at least a decade.)

The village of St. Chartier still exists; the château in St. Chartier, around which the festival was built, still exists too, but was sold to an Italian who refused to accommodate the mayhem that the festival had become. The organising committee made a complete hames of the situation and eventually the St. Chartier association went bust.

This new incarnation - moved to another château a few km away - stripped away all of the fancy, expensive trappings that had accumumlated over a few decades, and made it a much simpler, collaborative affair: musicians get a professional platform on which to perform (one of the regular sound engineers is just finishing up his doctorate in DIT); dancers get a choice of good quality dancefloors; and the general public get access to an amazing live music event for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The village of St. Chartier still exists; the château in St. Chartier, around which the festival was built, still exists too, but was sold to an Italian who refused to accommodate the mayhem that the festival had become. The organising committee made a complete hames of the situation and eventually the St. Chartier association went bust.

This new incarnation - moved to another château a few km away - stripped away all of the fancy, expensive trappings that had accumumlated over a few decades, and made it a much simpler, collaborative affair: musicians get a professional platform on which to perform (one of the regular sound engineers is just finishing up his doctorate in DIT); dancers get a choice of good quality dancefloors; and the general public get access to an amazing live music event for next to nothing.
    Thanks for that, I haven't been following these things at all. I have a memory of St Chartier being quite a sales-oriented event, with instrument makers having a very prominent place - is that still the case or has that gone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Back from a second year at Siblu Les Charmettes, in Charente-Maritime area and loved it.

However, we are researching for next year and wonder can anyone recommend anything similar?

We loved Les Charmettes for the heated pools (indoor and outdoor) and we booked a privately owned mobile which had washing machine, dishwasher, A/C, Coffee machine etc.

Also had own garden area, very private. This is important to us so nowhere that has mobiles on top of each other will suit.

Kids will be 10 and 8 but don't do camps or anything but a good pool area and maybe a few sports pitches or playgrounds would be nice.

Also driving is a must, wont fly. Don't mind overnighting along the way if needs be.

Any suggestions?

We always travel Mid-June if that makes any difference and home before kids break up from school for Summer hols.

Suggestions would be really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Heading to St. Gilles Bénedot in August with 2 smallies under 5 and a teen.
    any tips for siteseeing, places to visit, things to do in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

yellow76 wrote: »
    Back from a second year at Siblu Les Charmettes, in Charente-Maritime area and loved it.

However, we are researching for next year and wonder can anyone recommend anything similar?

We loved Les Charmettes for the heated pools (indoor and outdoor) and we booked a privately owned mobile which had washing machine, dishwasher, A/C, Coffee machine etc.

Also had own garden area, very private. This is important to us so nowhere that has mobiles on top of each other will suit.

Kids will be 10 and 8 but don't do camps or anything but a good pool area and maybe a few sports pitches or playgrounds would be nice.

Also driving is a must, wont fly. Don't mind overnighting along the way if needs be.

Any suggestions?

We always travel Mid-June if that makes any difference and home before kids break up from school for Summer hols.

Suggestions would be really appreciated.

Heading there, sailing Friday arriving Saturday. It will be our 3rd time in les charmettes. Love it there. We also have a private mobile with washing machine... first time to have 1, is it sad that this made me happy!!!!! Wonder if we have the same pitch... No: 420...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

amor3 wrote: »
    Heading there, sailing Friday arriving Saturday. It will be our 3rd time in les charmettes. Love it there. We also have a private mobile with washing machine... first time to have 1, is it sad that this made me happy!!!!! Wonder if we have the same pitch... No: 420...

Can I ask did u use a company to get the private site. Also looking for next yr, kids are older and travel isn't a big a deal anymore.

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Can I ask did u use a company to get the private site. Also looking for next yr, kids are older and travel isn't a big a deal anymore.

I use Siblu. You can hand pick a mobile when you select your required 1, most of these are privately owned and rented by siblu.

Have to say my kids tolerate the travelling quiet well. This year they will be 8, 5 and 1. There is plenty of services along the route should you need to stretch your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Has anyone booked club class cabins on WBY?
    If so, could you tell me what you get for the extra?
    It’s not clear if snacks and drinks are included on the france route or if free speedy exit is only on UK route?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I use Siblu. You can hand pick a mobile when you select your required 1, most of these are privately owned and rented by siblu.

Have to say my kids tolerate the travelling quiet well. This year they will be 8, 5 and 1. There is plenty of services along the route should you need to stretch your legs.

Similar to mine. 8/6/2 this yr. They found traveling to vendee this yr ok. Had being to loire valley previous times. After looking at the site so it's defo in contention for nxt yr. Thks

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Similar to mine. 8/6/2 this yr. They found traveling to vendee this yr ok. Had being to loire valley previous times. After looking at the site so it's defo in contention for nxt yr. Thks

No probs.

Its will be interesting this year with 3 of them to be honest... there is murder if we are just going to the shops if one of them, God forbid, looks out the other ones window! And 3 car/booster seats in the back will be a bit of a squeeze on them in fairness! But I'm sure the amount of fun they will have will more than make up for it!

Anyone else heading on the ferry this Friday???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Not 420. We were in 900s both years. Last yr we booked through an Irish lady who acts as an agent there. This yr we went through Asmloc.

Washing machine is so so handy. Halved what we would usually take with us clotheswise.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I haven't been following these things at all. I have a memory of St Chartier being quite a sales-oriented event, with instrument makers having a very prominent place - is that still the case or has that gone too?

No, the instrument makers are a key part of it - about 150 this year - but it's entirely possible to avoid their zone. Daft, but possible! Daft because many of the best sessions start with two people trying out different instruments at adjacent stands. But in any case, they only operate for nine hours of the day; you can dance your way through the other 15 without feeling under pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

MelachiT wrote: »
    Has anyone booked club class cabins on WBY?
    If so, could you tell me what you get for the extra?
    It’s not clear if snacks and drinks are included on the france route or if free speedy exit is only on UK route?

You get lounge access with free snacks and non alcoholic drinks, free minibar and snacks in cabin. WiFi in cabin. Breakfast in fancier restaurant. No free speedy exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

kindalen wrote: »
    You get lounge access with free snacks and non alcoholic drinks, free minibar and snacks in cabin. WiFi in cabin. Breakfast in fancier restaurant. No free speedy exit.
    That's for a suite. Club class cabins is lounge access with the snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, and supposedly wifi in the cabin (only worked near the door in ours). No snacks or mini bar in cabin, and no speedy exit.

We're still debating whether it was worth the extra to be honest. We travelled in June, might be worth it peak season, but then I think it'd be more expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That's for a suite. Club class cabins is lounge access with the snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, and supposedly wifi in the cabin (only worked near the door in ours). No snacks or mini bar in cabin, and no speedy exit.

We're still debating whether it was worth the extra to be honest. We travelled in June, might be worth it peak season, but then I think it'd be more expensive...

I’ve booked a club cabin on way over to France in two weeks... wasn’t sure if it would be worth it so didn’t book one on return trip. Doesn’t sound like it will be particularly if wifi doesn’t work in cabin.
    We shall see...
    Was the lounge itself fairly crowded or was it easy enough to get a seat?
    And it mentions reserved pullman seats, ate these available on the French route?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

MelachiT wrote: »
    Was the lounge itself fairly crowded or was it easy enough to get a seat?
    There was only a handful in it when we were travelling May (out) and June (back), but the ferry was far from full - our car deck was maybe a quarter full at best.

Apparently it was full enough the outbound of our return though - steward commented that they'd been partying late in there (return was after the secondary schools had broken for summer).

We probably did eat and drink enough to justify it, but that was partly because the food was there, and to justify it (wanting to get our monies worth!).

The wifi is crap everywhere (no better than the OW), including in the club class lounge. And that was presumably with low contention with low numbers. But definitely disappointed with the coverage in the cabin. We made sure they had downloaded a few things on netflix before leaving, and then at the site before we left to head home.

We bring on a coolbox anyway, so we're just not sure it's worth it when we're fairly organised that way anyway. And the cinema is something we do on the way out.

We'll be travelling this time of year next year, so will be interested to hear how you found it if you think to report back?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Any tips for a nice meal in Roscoff before boarding the ferry? Something substantial and a child friendly restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any tips for a nice meal in Roscoff before boarding the ferry? Something substantial and a child friendly restaurant

My only real advice is to book ahead. On sailing days places fill up quick for lunch and a lot are booked out on advance.
    Our first year got practically laughed out of places when we said we didn't have a reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Looking to book for summer 20/20.

Myself, husband 12 year old and dog. Going to take car.

Will probably go through UK and visit family there.

The must haves.

1) Normandy, Hubbie wants the D day stuff as he is into military history

2) Paris

3) Italian lakes. I believe there is a water park ideal for 12 year old.

4) pisa/ florence

5) venice

6) Rome

What's the best route and is eurocamp good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    My only real advice is to book ahead. On sailing days places fill up quick for lunch and a lot are booked out on advance.
    Our first year got practically laughed out of places when we said we didn't have a reservation.

Also most places only start serving food after 7pm which can be tight with the ferry departing at 8.30.

I think most places finish the day menu around 3pm so not a lot of food available between 3 & 7.

Advertisement