Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Also most places only start serving food after 7pm which can be tight with the ferry departing at 8.30.

I think most places finish the day menu around 3pm so not a lot of food available between 3 & 7.
    have to love the continentals, including obviously the french.

They have to have their siesta/ kip in the afternoon and 2 fingers to the captive tourist market on their doorstep, with plans out of sync from the locals, dying to give them cash.

We drove to Bologna (damn big city) in the height of summer after 10 days at Eurocamp by lake garda, and there was hardly a place except fast food or random kebab places open in the afternoon. Ended up feeding the kids in Burger King, in the food capital of Italy .
    Crazy, but that's the continentals for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd cut them some slack for the siesta.
    Was 38C/39C going down through Italy first week in July.
    Obviously not all job types are equally affected by that heat, but difficult to reform only sections of the labour market, especially in Italy.
    Do they continue to take the siesta outside of the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

That's a real Grand Tour you're planning. In order, North to South, here's my tuppence worth.

Assuming Dover-Calais or Eurotunnel there are numerous sites in and around Normandy, none of which I've been to but there is a thread on here where you can find more information.

Paris itself does have a budget/no frills camsite that Eurocamp (& others) will offer I'm sure. Alternatively I'd recommend La Croix du Vieux Pont in Picardy. There is WW2 history in the area & Paris is about an hour away. Site also do a coach trip into Paris if you don't fancy the drive.

Paris area to Italian lakes is quite a drive at 10-12 hours but again numerous sites around Lake Garda that others would be better placed to recommend. You'll also find Gardaland theme park. Maybe consider an overnight along the way?

Venice is easily accessible from the Lido di Jesolo which has lots of sites and hotels including Union Lido which we've stayed in and loved.

3-4 hour drive from there to Florence and/or Pisa. Don't know about sites in the area. Similarly not familiar with Rome so cannot advise.

We've used Eurocamp extensively over the years, but occasionally use AlFresco or book direct with the site. Usually Eurocamp has been the cheaper option but do shop around. We've never had a serious issue with any operator. Some will have better or newer accommodation than others but you will pay accordingly. Manage your expectations and you shouldn't ever be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Its a few years since I used Roscoff but I recall numerous spots doing crepes, gallettes etc all day in the middle of the town. Not a formal meal but tasty, local and more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if doing landbridge and arriving in Calais then WW1 stuff around Belgium and the Champagne area is battle of Somme and all that, so works FAR better than WW2 stuff round Normandy. Theres Hotel b+b, Novotel and others with family rooms.
    I'd save Normandy for when you actually get a ferry there (Cherbourg is in Normandy and beside all the sites/ cemeteries).
    Theres also the Maginot line inland there near-ish Strasbourg so at least some ww2 stuff.
    If passing to Italy via Munich, theres various Nazi sites/ tours and Dachau camp (maybe a bit grim for the kid but the adjacent town is lovely and in August 19.08.2019 to 19.08.2019 a massive funfair is there)
    We did eurocamp by Garda and found it grand, chalet could be better kept but still acceptable and at an ok price for high summer. Booked this time through irish eurocamp office with a combination of sales and special offer code for a decent price, but that was only till end of January to give an idea of when to think of finalising plans. You pay €100 and final amount a 3 months before travelling.
    Booked the year previous with eurocamp germany who have cheaper base prices but no sales or vouchers, but they only want the final payment a month before you travel. The place we were had nearly all english and scottish staff, so language not an issue !
    Eurocamp dont own the sites, they just have a few dozen waggons at each location, so you might also want to look at others like Canvas, Al Fresco, Siblu, Suncamp and Venue (here an external website which has other tips https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2019/07/15-european-holiday-park-tricks/) if a certain site takes your fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Ah no that’s not good to hear but thanks for all the tips anyway. After two weeks of crepes and galettes that is not what I had in mind! We’re here now nice and early and looks like there’s no where to have an actual meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Thanks a million. I'll take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just arrived home after a break away (in Ireland), to find a letter from Brittany Ferries - they wanted to apologise once again for the breakdown of the Pont Aven in May, and have given us a €200 voucher for our next trip, valid for two years. Very decent of them, especially as they refunded us with €115 compensation for the extra driving for being routed Dublin-Cherbourg instead of Cork-Roscoff, and also paid for our extra night in France! Much better than the €150 one year voucher offered by Irish Ferries for the WBY fiasco last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just arrived home after a break away (in Ireland), to find a letter from Brittany Ferries - they wanted to apologise once again for the breakdown of the Pont Aven in May, and have given us a €200 voucher for our next trip, valid for two years. Very decent of them, especially as they refunded us with €115 compensation for the extra driving for being routed Dublin-Cherbourg instead of Cork-Roscoff, and also paid for our extra night in France! Much better than the €150 one year voucher offered by Irish Ferries for the WBY fiasco last year.

In fairness BF seemed to be on the ball with the issues earlier in the season. I also saw an article online where they've announced they're leasing in another vessel to ensure that there is sufficient cover should there be any delays or issues with their new flagship vessel due to be delivered next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone been to Sequoia Parc Campsite?
    Would it be suitable for Kids aged 15 & 12 who love water ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Sequoia Parc Campsite?
    Would it be suitable for Kids aged 15 & 12 who love water ?

Was our first campsite we went to in France. Don' think 15 & 12 would like it much, its in the middle of no where. I would head down a bit further to la playmre, just 20 mins further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is the land bridge usually the cheapest option for getting a car to the Continent?

Doing a fly-drive to Yelloh! Village Parc De Montsabert this day next week and already thinking I'd like to take the family for longer than a week next year (thinking of trying to get a month off and do a long road-trip around Europe with them, stopping at different sites / Air BnBs for a few days at a go).

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is the land bridge usually the cheapest option for getting a car to the Continent?

Doing a fly-drive to Yelloh! Village Parc De Montsabert this day next week and already thinking I'd like to take the family for longer than a week next year (thinking of trying to get a month off and do a long road-trip around Europe with them, stopping at different sites / Air BnBs for a few days at a go).

Yes it's cheaper and faster for most places in Europe, but don't forget to factor in the possible cost of overnighting in the UK and a tank and a half of fuel to get across and back.
    If you brim the tank in Dublin, you'll make it to France/Belgium with a good bit to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sleepy wrote: »

I did Landbridge this year and I'm not sure its that much cheaper, suppose it depends on what you get the boat from Ireland to France for and how far you will drive in one day. Will you stop for a nights rest? You could get to France in one day, but wouldnt want to be driving too far after that. We left Dublin at 6am and I would say you could get to France by 9pm on a good day. Roads in UK were a knightmare over and back, even on a Sunday, terrible traffic at parts near London , Birmingham and whereever an accident.

Its a good emergency option (boat cancelled close to departure) as there always seems to be Dublin to Holyhead boats and Eurotunnel seems handy enough to book and even easier to get onto.

Sleepy wrote:

Cheapest - not always and there are fuel and subsistence costs to include. But it can be.

Quickest - depends where you are going but the fastest landbridge to somewhere in mainland Europe is faster than any ferry.

However the drive across the UK can be a nightmare and its an awful chore on the way home. I've done it a few times and unless you need to spend some time someplace in the UK en route, I'd avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Shorty69664

So we have flown to France for the last couple of years but next year we are thinking of going by ferry for the first time and taking the car.

What kind of money would we need to budget for a car, two adults and a child if we were travelling around the last week in june and coming back 10 days later (tough question I know but ballpark figure)?

Also do the ferries do any big discount sales at any time - Maybe black Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So we have flown to France for the last couple of years but next year we are thinking of going by ferry for the first time and taking the car.

What kind of money would we need to budget for a car, two adults and a child if we were travelling around the last week in june and coming back 10 days later (tough question I know but ballpark figure)?

We did that this year but went the first two weeks in July.
    Ferry was €1600
    Campsite was €1000 approx
    2 adults and 2 kids

You might get the ferry a couple of hundred cheaper because it's not quite high season. They really jack up the prices once the junior schools finish.

Edit: sorry forgot to say we went with Irish Ferries from Dublin to Cherbourg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Cost around 600e with stenna rosslare to Cherbourg this year end of june.

Thanks for the reply...

That was a bit more than I was expecting, I honestly thought it would be < 1K.
    May have to reconsider.... or save longer:):):)

Jamemid wrote: »

OK, that's a lot better......

Roughly when did you book it if you don't mind me asking??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks for the reply...

That was a bit more than I was expecting, I honestly thought it would be < 1K.
    May have to reconsider.... or save longer:):):)

Sorry, I edited my post above to give some more info.

Jamemid wrote: »

OK, that's a lot better......

Roughly when did you book it if you don't mind me asking??
    Booked last September I think!

Also worth remembering that next year the UK will be outside the EU and its anyone's guess what port congestion/queues will be like, both from here to UK and UK to France.

First Up wrote: »
    Also worth remembering that next year the UK will be outside the EU and its anyone's guess what port congestion/queues will be like, both from here to UK and UK to France.
    Yeah was thinking of heading to Holland next year ,driving thru England and Eurotunnel but this is putting me off.

If you go back through the earlier posts, you'll find that back in Jan/Feb more than one poster thought that Landbridge this summer was also too big a risk.
    The worst case scenarios are overblown by people's fear of uncertainty and the unknown.

I see someone else posted above. I was going to say €2.5k would get you a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

This year I paid €1300, sailed out 20th June returned 5th July. Dub - Cherbourg 1 adult, 3 kids, 4 berth cabin with window. Hubby was supposed to come with us but unfortunately had to work abroad, there was no price difference when I took him off the original booking.

Last year €670 Irish Ferries Rosslare to Roscoff, same set up except 1st June to 14th June

Year before €1200 Irish Ferries Rosslare - Cherbourg, same set up then returned through Roscoff, 26th June to 14th July

Haven't even gone on holidays this year yet but already planning next year's. If we don't have a plan by the time we go we'll end up going back to Sol a GoGo again. Mrs Edge wants something different. Was looking at Italy but the prices are way higher than ferry plus 12 nights in France.

Thinking of flying to Biarritz and staying at Le Ruisseau campsite, anyone been? It looks pretty cool. Obviously it would be much bigger than a small quiet place like Sol a GoGo or Les Ecureils where we've stayed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

nirvana78 wrote: »
    This year I paid €1300, sailed out 20th June returned 5th July. Dub - Cherbourg 1 adult, 3 kids, 4 berth cabin with window. Hubby was supposed to come with us but unfortunately had to work abroad, there was no price difference when I took him off the original booking.

Last year €670 Irish Ferries Rosslare to Roscoff, same set up except 1st June to 14th June

Year before €1200 Irish Ferries Rosslare - Cherbourg, same set up then returned through Roscoff, 26th June to 14th July
    Those are some price differences! Is Roslare - Roscoff usually the cheapest route? Looking at a map, Cork seems an even shorter distance.

There really seems to be very little on-line to let you compare the different options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

For this yr left on the 18th June back on the 30th it cost us 1026, 2A 3k, take what u want off urself for bigger cabin and 2 extra kids. I reckon you would be only 2/300 cheaper.

Advertisement