Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sleepy wrote:
    Those are some price differences! Is Roslare - Roscoff usually the cheapest route? Looking at a map, Cork seems an even shorter distance.
    They were similar enough for this year when we booked, plus extra fuel to Rosslare. I'd guess the date difference explains the price difference tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They were similar enough for this year when we booked, plus extra fuel to Rosslare. I'd guess the date difference explains the price difference tbh.

Yes I agree, I think the date difference is the cause of the price variance. I think this year was slightly dearer because of the new ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Over in France and need the buy 400 sill cut purple as a present. Anyone know if they're cheaper in France or the WB Yeats? Neither me or any of my family smoke so clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

... need the buy 400 sill cut purple... Neither me or any of my family smoke so clueless.

Bit clueless also as I’m part of a family of non smokers but have yet to notice locals smoking that brand so perhaps they’re not available in France? Unless nearer the ports maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Haven't even gone on holidays this year yet but already planning next year's. If we don't have a plan by the time we go we'll end up going back to Sol a GoGo again. Mrs Edge wants something different. Was looking at Italy but the prices are way higher than ferry plus 12 nights in France.

Thinking of flying to Biarritz and staying at Le Ruisseau campsite, anyone been? It looks pretty cool. Obviously it would be much bigger than a small quiet place like Sol a GoGo or Les Ecureils where we've stayed previously.

A few years back we went to le Ruisseau having done the clarys plage. It didn't help that it lashed rain for most of our week there! I thought to be honest it was past it's prime and a bit unkempt. 5 star my eye. We went in late June early July and activities didn't start up really at all. Pool was freezing, no indoor pool at the time as you'd expect Biarritz to be sunny. Lol ðŸ˜. Kids didn't care they we're playing football in the mud. Pet farm wasn't up to much though the kids didn't care. It's also well out of town and I certainly prefer to be walking distance of something like sol a gogo is. The iconic beach of Biarritz itself while lovely to look at is highly dangerous with rip currents and there's no swimming. Maybe try another campsite like le vieux port, though I haven't been there. On the plus side you can drive down to San Sebastian in Spain for the day or a day trip to Lourdes, see the pyrenees. Both Very scenic .

If you're looking for something different try the Dordogne region. It's beautiful, rustic, historic, foodie dream so many wonderful things to see and do, we've stayed in soliel plage and Les peneyrals both lovely . A short drive from the town of Sarlat which is a beautiful medieval town. Le gouffre de Padirac is a must see cave. Part of the tour is by boat on an underground river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

juneg wrote: »
    A few years back we went to le Ruisseau having done the clarys plage. It didn't help that it lashed rain for most of our week there! I thought to be honest it was past it's prime and a bit unkempt. 5 star my eye. We went in late June early July and activities didn't start up really at all. Pool was freezing, no indoor pool at the time as you'd expect Biarritz to be sunny. Lol ðŸ˜. Kids didn't care they we're playing football in the mud. Pet farm wasn't up to much though the kids didn't care. It's also well out of town and I certainly prefer to be walking distance of something like sol a gogo is. The iconic beach of Biarritz itself while lovely to look at is highly dangerous with rip currents and there's no swimming. Maybe try another campsite like le vieux port, though I haven't been there. On the plus side you can drive down to San Sebastian in Spain for the day or a day trip to Lourdes, see the pyrenees. Both Very scenic .

If you're looking for something different try the Dordogne region. It's beautiful, rustic, historic, foodie dream so many wonderful things to see and do, we've stayed in soliel plage and Les peneyrals both lovely . A short drive from the town of Sarlat which is a beautiful medieval town. Le gouffre de Padirac is a must see cave. Part of the tour is by boat on an underground river.

Cheers JuneG

Do you mind me asking what year it was?

Cheers JuneG

Do you mind me asking what year it was?

That was the year we sailed with LD lines to St nazaire. They only ran one season. I think it was 2013. Gosh it doesn't seem like that long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

That was the year we sailed with LD lines to St nazaire. They only ran one season. I think it was 2013. Gosh it doesn't seem like that long ago

LD Lines was 2014, much remembered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone been to or stayed at puy du fou, I suppose you'd want at least 2/3days there, if I did get a 3 day pass can they be used spread out over the duration of our holiday or must they be used consecutively, any tips on what shows are must see and how to plan your days there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

We are travelling out to France on Sunday on the WB. I got an email saying check in closes at 15hrs. I have two young kids and nine times out of ten they will want to go to the toilet. We are not camping we are doing a home swap and staying in Orleans. We will have two days prior to arriving and were thinking of staying in Belleme so we can spend sometime in the Park de Perche. It also breaks up the journey.

What is a sensible time to arrive on Sunday?

Are there any services at Dublin port when queuing or should we stop prior to arrival?

Anyone stop off at the Park de perche? Any good or worth exploring

Thanks in Advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Anyone been to or stayed at puy du fou, I suppose you'd want at least 2/3days there, if I did get a 3 day pass can they be used spread out over the duration of our holiday or must they be used consecutively, any tips on what shows are must see and how to plan your days there. Thanks

We were there on the 6th July. We had a three day ticket and also went to the Cinescenie show. I cannot recommend Cinescenie enough, it cannot be described. 1 hour and 40 minutes of viewing that you will never see anything that will come close to it again.

Puy du Fou is also one of a kind. I wouldn't bring young kids to it as the queueing and all the walking might be a bit much, in saying that our youngest was five, when we went there for a day three years ago and enjoyed it. The shows are fantastic. You cannot do all shows in a day. Bring a picnic and lots of water and hats if it's hot, there is a lot of standing in the sun and queueing to get into the shows. Comfortable shoes is a must and you will get dusty from the paths! Food and drinks are expensive in there. I can go through the shows with you, if you are definitely going.
    We stayed in Domaine Melusine, which is a 3minute car journey to the park. A fantastic site, brand new, chalets and bungalows. The place was spotless. Bed linen and towels are included in the price. I would highly recommend staying here if anyone is going to Puy du Fou. Staff were very friendly and the accommodation was spread out so really peaceful place to stay.

Any questions get back to me. I can get the program we brought home with us to go through the shows!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We've been to the Dordogne several times over the last few years and love it.
    This year, we stayed with Eurocamp near Daglan (near Domme) in a lovely campsite.

Previously stayed in Le Soleil Plage (which Canvas now provide for) and it was great.
    Two years ago we stayed with Canvas in La Palombière but both Canvas and Eurocamp don't use it anymore (apparently another company has the contract).
    As juneg said, there is so much to do and see in the area, chateaux, Lascaux, Domme, canoeing along the river, Les Jardins de Marqueyssac (especially the Thursday evening candlelight night!), cycling along the Sarlat Voie Verte and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

P2C wrote: »
    We are travelling out to France on Sunday on the WB. I got an email saying check in closes at 15hrs. I have two young kids and nine times out of ten they will want to go to the toilet. We are not camping we are doing a home swap and staying in Orleans. We will have two days prior to arriving and were thinking of staying in Belleme so we can spend sometime in the Park de Perche. It also breaks up the journey.

What is a sensible time to arrive on Sunday?

Are there any services at Dublin port when queuing or should we stop prior to arrival?
    Anyone stop off at the Park de perche? Any good or worth exploring

Thanks in Advance

We always aim for a spare hour so aim for 2pm.

There is a terminal building with toilets and a few vending machines, I would stop at services applegreen or somewhere prior to the port.

Also, bring a EU adapter on the ship, all sockets are EU connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

We've been to the Dordogne several times over the last few years and love it.
    This year, we stayed with Eurocamp near Daglan (near Domme) in a lovely campsite.

Previously stayed in Le Soleil Plage (which Canvas now provide for) and it was great.
    Two years ago we stayed with Canvas in La Palombière but both Canvas and Eurocamp don't use it anymore (apparently another company has the contract).
    As juneg said, there is so much to do and see in the area, chateaux, Lascaux, Domme, canoeing along the river, Les Jardins de Marqueyssac (especially the Thursday evening candlelight night!), cycling along the Sarlat Voie Verte and so on

Very interested in going to the Dordogne next year, but a bit worried about the drive (seems to be 8h+), did you drive down and how did you find it? Have 2 middle sized kids so they should be able to cope really (says she hopefully)...

Also does it tend to be over 30c this time of year (it's 33c today!)? Due to work constraints always go in August....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Haven't even gone on holidays this year yet but already planning next year's. If we don't have a plan by the time we go we'll end up going back to Sol a GoGo again. Mrs Edge wants something different. Was looking at Italy but the prices are way higher than ferry plus 12 nights in France.

Thinking of flying to Biarritz and staying at Le Ruisseau campsite, anyone been? It looks pretty cool. Obviously it would be much bigger than a small quiet place like Sol a GoGo or Les Ecureils where we've stayed previously.

We flew with Ryanair to Bergamo, used an airport transfer service to get to the campsite and back, and stayed at a campsite on Lake Garda. It was still significantly cheaper than 2 weeks in France using the ferry. Also the food and drink is considerably cheaper so you would be saving on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Over in France and need the buy 400 sill cut purple as a present. Anyone know if they're cheaper in France or the WB Yeats? Neither me or any of my family smoke so clueless.

Silk cut not available in France but most of the cigarettes are cheaper on the ferry anyway. I think they were €7 on the ferry when I saw them last week

ellee wrote: »
    Very interested in going to the Dordogne next year, but a bit worried about the drive (seems to be 8h+), did you drive down and how did you find it? Have 2 middle sized kids so they should be able to cope really (says she hopefully)...

Also does it tend to be over 30c this time of year (it's 33c today!)? Due to work constraints always go in August....

We used to stay a few nights in clarys plage on one leg and a single night overnight on the other leg. Yes it can be very hot as it's well inland. Air conditioning is a must.

We've always broken the journey. This year we stayed in Saumur (~4 hours drive from Cherbourg) for three nights, travelled to the Dordogne (~5 hours (the road from Saumur to the Dordogne is mostly national route rather than motorway)) and then back in Saumur for two nights before getting back on the ferry. That works for us but some people would like to make it all in one journey. I've asked my family about it for next year but they would rather break up the journey.
    This year was our first year staying in Saumur. Previously we stayed in Chambord.
    It was très scorchio for us all over France (was there for two weeks arriving back last Tuesday) but between proper sun cream and liquids and so on, it was fine.
    Nights were the hard part to be honest as the temperature was still in the 20s.
    We were staying in a Safari Tent in the Dordogne but all the mobile homes were air conditioned (which according to the Eurocamp courier weren't great because it was too hot for them to operate efficiently)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

We were staying in a Safari Tent in the Dordogne but all the mobile homes were air conditioned (which according to the Eurocamp courier weren't great because it was too hot for them to operate efficiently)

It's 38C in La Reserve today and the Air Con is working just fine thankfully!! We leave it on low during the night and it keeps the whole mobile nice and cool so everyone gets a good nights sleep.

We booked a mobile in Soleil plage through the campsite itself and it was super air conditioning. We took a day trip to Toulouse for a look around. There was an excellent space museum .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

We've always broken the journey. This year we stayed in

(~4 hours drive from Cherbourg) for three nights, travelled to the Dordogne (~5 hours (the road from Saumur to the Dordogne is mostly national route rather than motorway)) and then back in Saumur for two nights before getting back on the ferry. That works for us but some people would like to make it all in one journey. I've asked my family about it for next year but they would rather break up the journey. This year was our first year staying in Saumur. Previously we stayed in

We did Dordogne this year with 2, 5 and 8 year olds. Stayed in exact same place on way down. Stayed there two nights, and then one night in Le Mans (in an AirBNB) on way back home.

Possibly back to Dordogne next year. It's fantastic. Would just do journey with a one night break each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

I'll be camping for the first time in France next month. Just for the weekend. My pitch has an electrical outlet which I just want to use to charge phones and power a small travel kettle. I thought all I needed was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DV6UXS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

However, I seem to have gone down a rabbit hole with people mentioning different adapters and reverse polarities.

I would appreciate advice from someone who is more experienced to ensure I am correct.

In terms of the adapter, if the pitch has a two pin hookup, I should use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035X0ZUE/ref=dp_cerb_1
    to convert it to three pin. Is that correct?

In terms of the polarity, I'm a little lost. I know I can buy a little polarity tester plug but I'm unsure what to do if that says there is an issue.

Any advice on the above would be very appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Peckham wrote: »
    We did Dordogne this year with 2, 5 and 8 year olds. Stayed in exact same place on way down. Stayed there two nights, and then one night in Le Mans (in an AirBNB) on way back home.

Possibly back to Dordogne next year. It's fantastic. Would just do journey with a one night break each way.

Where did you stay in Dordogne if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Thanks for the advice.
    Deeman83 wrote: »
    We always aim for a spare hour so aim for 2pm.

There is a terminal building with toilets and a few vending machines, I would stop at services applegreen or somewhere prior to the port.

Also, bring a EU adapter on the ship, all sockets are EU connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I'll be camping for the first time in France next month. Just for the weekend. My pitch has an electrical outlet which I just want to use to charge phones and power a small travel kettle. I thought all I needed was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DV6UXS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

However, I seem to have gone down a rabbit hole with people mentioning different adapters and reverse polarities.

I would appreciate advice from someone who is more experienced to ensure I am correct.

In terms of the adapter, if the pitch has a two pin hookup, I should use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035X0ZUE/ref=dp_cerb_1
    to convert it to three pin. Is that correct?

In terms of the polarity, I'm a little lost. I know I can buy a little polarity tester plug but I'm unsure what to do if that says there is an issue.

Any advice on the above would be very appreciated. Thanks.

We've been in around 20 different campsites in France and of those, 18 were the standard 3 pin hookup and the remaining 2 were normal continental 2 pin sockets.
    We never concerned ourselves with polarity and it in turn left us well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

volchitsa wrote:
    Where did you stay in Dordogne if you don't mind me asking?

Saint Avit Loisirs. Loved it.

Booked with Eurocamp, but if returning would probably book directly with the campsite as they have much better located mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Anyone planning next years trip yet? :D

I wonder when IF will release the France 2020 sailings, surely alot early than last year.

Hopefully we will be back on the WB Yates from Dublin in 2020!

Not sure about campsites yet, i dont think they are interested in taking bookings until the 2019 season is over.
    I know some of the campsites put you on a "waiting list" or reserve type list with provisional bookings.

Not sure about campsites yet, i dont think they are interested in taking bookings until the 2019 season is over.
    I know some of the campsites put you on a "waiting list" or reserve type list with provisional bookings.
    Whatever about the campsites themselves, both Eurocamp and Canvas are selling 2020 holidays now.
    Was it just me or did anyone else notice a steep decrease in the number of UK registered cars on the campsites this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Peckham wrote: »

Saint Avit Loisirs. Loved it.

Booked with Eurocamp, but if returning would probably book directly with the campsite as they have much better located mobiles.

Second this. St Avit is our family's favourite Campsite out of 5 different sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Anyone planning next years trip yet? :D

I wonder when IF will release the France 2020 sailings, surely alot early than last year.

Hopefully we will be back on the WB Yates from Dublin in 2020!

We have booked with Eurocamp for 2020. But Italy so we are going to fly. Will be back again on the Ferry to France in 2021.

Must say that we liked the WB Yeats and Dublin is much handier for us than Rosslare.

Advertisement