Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Join this group on Facebook, seriously informative and they have private owners who will list availability. https://www.facebook.com/groups/145635722125632/?ref=share

There is one for Des Ormes as well:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360103454395260/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

54&56 wrote:
    I guess it's not commercially viable otherwise I'm sure one of IF, Stena or BF would be putting a boat on the route if only for the summer months.

You never know. The original basis for the route was the EU's "motorway of the sea" initiative designed to reduce the volume of HGVs on the French roads.

As supply chains continue to be re-routed to avoid the UK, there could be similar initiatives. Summer holiday traffic wouldn't be enough but if freight traffic could be attracted, it would also open the route for private cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

raddo wrote: »
    We have nearly pushed the button on booking Bonne Anse Plage.
    Has anyone stayed there, how does it compare to Le Clarys Plage?

We stayed in Bonne Anse Plage for 2-3 years when the kids were younger about 7-8 years ago.

Very nice and well run site. Excellent outside entertainment area with a big professional stage.

There's a bike path along the coast you can access directly from the back gate of the site which will bring you the local seaside town of La Palmyre. It's 2.5km so a 7 min cycle or a 30 minute walk. I've done both with kids and both were easy, safe and relaxing.

The town is small and has a few nice restaurants but it's not a "resort" type town.

Just outside the town is one of the best zoo's you'll ever visit and when I say that I'm comparing it with zoo's like Singapore which for me is the best.

Apart from the above the area has a ton of great and not over crowded beaches and there are lot's of nice towns dotted around for day trips or cycling trips if you're into longer cycles as there are extensive bike paths in the area.

I'd say Bonne Anse Plage and the local area is a great site for kids up to about the age of 14.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How do people go about finding the best deals on ferry crossings?

We've done fly-drive the last few years as it's generally worked out cheaper to hire a car for a one week stay but I'd like to try and do 2/3 weeks next year moving between a few sites. I assume most book the ferry with offers around when the timetables are announced and then fit their site stays around the ferry dates? Is there any equivalent of Skyscanner for ferry crossings or is it a matter of checking all the companies sites individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone stayed in a campsite in Cote d'Azur or north to Lyon that had a pool with slides?

This area

0R5mSpO.png

west of the A7 not really an option.

Tx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Le Pommier or La Baume in Frejus. Le Pommier is great for slides as it's built on a waterpark, but La Baume is a great site in a great area

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

Camping Luberon Parc, Avenue du Bois, 13350 Charleval en Provence, France

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Treviso wrote: »
    +1 for La Garangeoire - just back from 2 weeks there. Really great campsite. Already put our names down for going back next year for 3 weeks!

+2 for La Garangeoire. Was there in 2018 and a brilliant site. We went with Eurocamp but next year we are thinking of booking direct with the campsite.
    Mind me asking Treviso how did you “put our names down” for 2020? Did you do this directly with the campsite themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

+2 for La Garangeoire. Was there in 2018 and a brilliant site. We went with Eurocamp but next year we are thinking of booking direct with the campsite.
    Mind me asking Treviso how did you “put our names down” for 2020? Did you do this directly with the campsite themselves?

Yep, before we left we filled out a form with our probable travel dates and a top 5 preferred mobile homes in the campsite. Here is the price list for 2019 - they should have the 2020 prices out around October/November. https://www.camping-la-garangeoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Tarif_loc_2019_F_GB.pdf

Once they release the new prices, they should contact us to confirm the booking. I would contact them via email to get this prebooking form & a map of the pitches available to book with them - https://www.camping-la-garangeoire.com/en/

I would recommend going directly with the campsite - the kids club is better and mobile homes are in better condition. Probably cheaper too unless you get some crazy discount from Eurocamp

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Yep, before we left we filled out a form with our probable travel dates and a top 5 preferred mobile homes in the campsite. Here is the price list for 2019 - they should have the 2020 prices out around October/November. https://www.camping-la-garangeoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Tarif_loc_2019_F_GB.pdf

Once they release the new prices, they should contact us to confirm the booking. I would contact them via email to get this prebooking form & a map of the pitches available to book with them - https://www.camping-la-garangeoire.com/en/

I would recommend going directly with the campsite - the kids club is better and mobile homes are in better condition. Probably cheaper too unless you get some crazy discount from Eurocamp

That’s exactly what we were thinking when we saw all the accommodations opposite the reception-they appeared to be rented out by the site itself and definitely better located. Last year we went with a Eurocamp Aspect and were really disappointed by the location (Ile d’Yeu I think it was).
    Many tks for the suggestion and the information on booking directly. That’s the plan for 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

That’s exactly what we were thinking when we saw all the accommodations opposite the reception-they appeared to be rented out by the site itself and definitely better located. Last year we went with a Eurocamp Aspect and were really disappointed by the location (Ile d’Yeu I think it was).
    Many tks for the suggestion and the information on booking directly. That’s the plan for 2020.

Apologies for jumping on, have had a look at the brochure, and it seems they only do periods of 7 days, does anyone know if they do 10 days before I contact them directly. TIA.

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Apologies for jumping on, have had a look at the brochure, and it seems they only do periods of 7 days, does anyone know if they do 10 days before I contact them directly. TIA.

Not in high season - you would need to go with a Eurocamp for a 10 days trip. Canvas, Al Fresco & Europarcs also have mobile homes available there if you want to shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

I’m looking for a new campsite for next year (we normally do La Grande Metairie, Eurocamp and Alfresco have been bought out of this site for next year)
    I like the look of La Garangeoire but I’m worried my kids will be bored by the pool area as it doesn’t look great. What’s it like from first hand experience?
    I’m also looking at Le Littoral.
    My kids love the pool and the beach. A safe beach, plenty of rock pools when the tide goes out is a must for us! A strange thing to look for in a holiday I know- but our little lad just lives for the evenings when he searches for crabs etc in the rock pools.
    I’m leaning towards Le Littoral for this reason alone 😂

I’m looking for a new campsite for next year (we normally do La Grande Metairie, Eurocamp and Alfresco have been bought out of this site for next year)
    I like the look of La Garangeoire but I’m worried my kids will be bored by the pool area as it doesn’t look great. What’s it like from first hand experience?
    My kids love the pool and the beach. A safe beach, plenty of rock pools when the tide goes out is a must for us! A strange thing to look for in a holiday I know- but our little lad just lives for the evenings when he searches for crabs etc in the rock pools.
    I’m leaning towards Le Littoral for this reason alone ��

Well the fact that you said the beach is a must for you, then that would rule La Garangeoire out. There isn't a beach at your doorstep. If you do a search of Le Littoral in this thread, there's plenty of information and recommendations on it.

La Garangeoire for us offered such a different experience to the rest of the campsites we went to.

I’m leaning towards Le Littoral for this reason alone ��

The beach beside Le Littoral has lots of rock pools, but not a great beach, they run a bus to a big sandy beach a few kms away however.
    I really like Le Littoral, but having been there twice, would like to try somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Well the fact that you said the beach is a must for you, then that would rule La Garangeoire out. There isn't a beach at your doorstep. If you do a search of Le Littoral in this thread, there's plenty of information and recommendations on it.

La Garangeoire for us offered such a different experience to the rest of the campsites we went to.
    Thanks, yes no beach on La Garangeoire I saw that. I was wondering what makes it such a great campsite? It gets rave reviews here and on trip advisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Britanny ferries cancelling some UK France routes! https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

Irish ferries don't seem to bothered!

Might just be for smaller ships though

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Britanny ferries cancelling some UK France routes! https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

Irish ferries don't seem to bothered!

Might just be for smaller ships though

Have been following closely as was due to sail today from Dublin to Cherbourg. We reluctantly made the decision yesterday to rearrange our sailing to Sunday. Lose 2 days at the site but would rather that than 18 odd hours on a boat in very rough to high seas with 3 kids. But yes it appears IF are still sailing. I pity anyone on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

From my experience travelling in early April this year The WB Yeats handled the high seas very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Pretzill wrote: »
    From my experience travelling in early April this year The WB Yeats handled the high seas very well.

Maybe so we just weren’t prepared to take the chance. Particularly as one of the children is already a nervous traveller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Any campsites within 2 hours drive of cherbourg ? looking between 10-12 aug 2 adults and a 6 and 9 year old. pool and slides if possible

Any suggestions welcome, its hard work going through all previous posts

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

treascon wrote: »
    Maybe so we just weren’t prepared to take the chance. Particularly as one of the children is already a nervous traveller

That's certainly a consideration. Particularly if there are delays because of the weather. It's a long voyage but I found that part of it quite comfortable on the WB although the Oscar Wilde was stable enough too I have been on really rough crossings and the only thing you can do is lie down in the bunk and let is pass. It would be hard to keep nervous children relaxed, I'm sure. Enjoy your hols :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tmabr wrote: »
    Any campsites within 2 hours drive of cherbourg ? looking between 10-12 aug 2 adults and a 6 and 9 year old. pool and slides if possible

Any suggestions welcome, its hard work going through all previous posts

Thanks
    Could be tough - have you got your own accommodation (tents/campervan) or looking to hire?
    If wanting to hire, have you been in touch with both Canvas and Eurocamp?

Could be tough - have you got your own accommodation (tents/campervan) or looking to hire?
    If wanting to hire, have you been in touch with both Canvas and Eurocamp?

Thanks for reply
    Have all the camping equipment, never been to France yet. could possibly stretch the drive to 4 hours max, kids can get travel sick.

pitch for a 4 man tent and gazebo is what i ideally need.

ty

Ok that should be easier to get.
    I don't know any that far north but you could even look at the Eurocamp and canvas websites and contact their campsites directly for a picth.
    If you find a suitable location with one of them, then Google the campsite name to get the campsite directly.
    For example, this year we stayed with Eurocamp in Domaine de la Brèche Campsite which is close to Saumur in the Loire Valley. Nice campsite and just on the edge of your 4 hr threshold (note that as it's mostly motorway driving, the kids tend to sleep or whatever - you might be fine).
    The direct link to the campsite is https://www.domainedelabreche.com/en.
    Doing a quick pitch search shows a number of options.

Ok that should be easier to get.
    I don't know any that far north but you could even look at the Eurocamp and canvas websites and contact their campsites directly for a picth.
    If you find a suitable location with one of them, then Google the campsite name to get the campsite directly.
    For example, this year we stayed with Eurocamp in Domaine de la Brèche Campsite which is close to Saumur in the Loire Valley. Nice campsite and just on the edge of your 4 hr threshold (note that as it's mostly motorway driving, the kids tend to sleep or whatever - you might be fine).
    The direct link to the campsite is https://www.domainedelabreche.com/en.
    Doing a quick pitch search shows a number of options.

Brilliant. Thanks for that. Will have a good search now.

Others here might have alternative suggestions but at least you have a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ninesell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Any more feedback on dining on the WBY? Has anyone bitten the bullet and laid out €60 (plus drinks) in the main restaurant? Would they do it again?

What about the self service place?

We always found the table service restaurant on the OW worth it but you could opt for just two courses. Paying €60 flat rate for dinner on the WBY has me looking for alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First Up wrote: »
    Any more feedback on dining on the WBY? Has anyone bitten the bullet and laid out €60 (plus drinks) in the main restaurant? Would they do it again?

What about the self service place?

We always found the table service restaurant on the OW worth it but you could opt for just two courses. Paying €60 flat rate for dinner on the WBY has me looking for alternatives.

pretty sure there was a 2-course option in the posh nosh place.

We ate in the self-service restaurant (though the kids had pizza on the way home). It's fine, pretty similar to the Left Bank on the OW - canteen food basically.

Advertisement