Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

loyatemu wrote:
    pretty sure there was a 2-course option in the posh nosh place.

We ate in the self-service restaurant (though the kids had pizza on the way home). It's fine, pretty similar to the Left Bank on the OW - canteen food basically.

Thanks - can anyone confirm about the two course option? Early reports said it was three, take it or leave it.

I think canteen style grub is the same everywhere. It gets you fed but that's about it. Our dinners in the Berneval on the OW were an enjoyable part of the trip but two courses is as much as I want (and want to pay for.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭webpal

Found the prices cheaper than the OW and there’s more choices. Cafe lafayette does a lovely pizza, hit the spot nicely after a few pints.

Lady Gregory Set Menu 3 courses €59.95

Yeah I know that but was wondering if sense (and customer interests) was prevailing on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

treascon wrote: »
    Have been following closely as was due to sail today from Dublin to Cherbourg. We reluctantly made the decision yesterday to rearrange our sailing to Sunday. Lose 2 days at the site but would rather that than 18 odd hours on a boat in very rough to high seas with 3 kids. But yes it appears IF are still sailing. I pity anyone on board!
    This guy might keep us updated on the progress of W.B. Yeats (WBY) on its way to Cherbourg tonight:
    https://twitter.com/HFlouride/status/1159850576370458624
    @treascon : I think you made the right decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No Bills wrote: »
    This guy might keep us updated on the progress of W.B. Yeats (WBY) on its way to Cherbourg tonight:
    https://twitter.com/HFlouride/status/1159850576370458624
    @treascon : I think you made the right decision.

Well at least someone's keeping us up to date!

487686.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First Up wrote: »
    Yeah I know that but was wondering if sense (and customer interests) was prevailing on board.

turns out I took a photo; 60 for 3 courses, 50 for 2.

image.png

and here's the menu for "Barra Familia" (which has effectively replaced the Steakhouse from the OW).

image.png

loyatemu wrote:
    turns out I took a photo; 60 for 3 courses, 50 for 2.

and here's the menu for "Barra Familia" (which has effectively replaced the Steakhouse from the OW).

Thanks - an increase from the Berneval but tolerable

The Barra Familia menu won't appeal to the missus but I'm sure we'll come to some kind of agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks - an increase from the Berneval but tolerable

The Barra Familia menu won't appeal to the missus but I'm sure we'll come to some kind of agreement.

It's just behind Café Lafayette so you can just carry your tray out. Kids and wife ate there and I just brought my taco out. Wasn't a bad chilli could have been spicier but there was a load of extra topping's you can pile on yourself. Sweet potato frys were decent. Burgers were just sitting in carvery tray not freshly cooked so didn't temp me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Britrany Ferries Friday sailing out of Roscoff at 8.30 French time, didnt set sail until around 2a.m. this morning.
    Happy to be in the bar to watch the liverpool game though.

By God the seas were very rough. It was like a continuous rollercoaster.

Took over 3 hours longer aswell. Arrived into Cork at 6.30 p.m. tonight.

Felt a very long trip I can tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭webpal

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Britrany Ferries Friday sailing out of Roscoff at 8.30 French time, didnt set sail until around 2a.m. this morning.

Absolute pukefest I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

ShamoBuc wrote: »

You have my sympathies. Exactly why we decided to delay our sailing by 2 days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

webpal wrote: »
    Absolute pukefest I heard

A lot of sick bags used alright :pac:

First 6 or 7 hours at least most were asleep.

2 adults 3 kids, 2 bottom bunks and mattresses on the floor. Had everyone warned to lie down throughout, tablet/phone and headphones when awake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

We are going to Cherbourg on 12th September. My dad has a simple nokia phone. Not smart. Not that the phones have a signal em route but could he be charged those maritime rates also. I think i have to turn off data roaming for my iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ok that should be easier to get.
    I don't know any that far north but you could even look at the Eurocamp and canvas websites and contact their campsites directly for a picth.
    If you find a suitable location with one of them, then Google the campsite name to get the campsite directly.
    For example, this year we stayed with Eurocamp in Domaine de la Brèche Campsite which is close to Saumur in the Loire Valley. Nice campsite and just on the edge of your 4 hr threshold (note that as it's mostly motorway driving, the kids tend to sleep or whatever - you might be fine).
    The direct link to the campsite is https://www.domainedelabreche.com/en.
    Doing a quick pitch search shows a number of options.
    tmabr wrote: »
    Any campsites within 2 hours drive of cherbourg ? looking between 10-12 aug 2 adults and a 6 and 9 year old. pool and slides if possible

Any suggestions welcome, its hard work going through all previous posts

Thanks
    Ninesell wrote: »

Both of those sites are nice having stayed on them before. There’s also a castel site in Cherbourg that’s pretty nice if you want to be within a half hour or so to the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

Are the tvs lg?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

McSween wrote: »
    We are going to Cherbourg on 12th September. My dad has a simple nokia phone. Not smart. Not that the phones have a signal em route but could he be charged those maritime rates also. I think i have to turn off data roaming for my iphone

Yes. He may not have access to data as it's not a smart phone but he will still be roaming on the Maritime network and will be charged punitive rates for any calls or texts he receives or makes. Best bet it to just power off the phone as you're pulling out of the port and don't switch it back on again until you are pulling into port on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Any more feedback on dining on the WBY? Has anyone bitten the bullet and laid out €60 (plus drinks) in the main restaurant? Would they do it again?

What about the self service place?

We always found the table service restaurant on the OW worth it but you could opt for just two courses. Paying €60 flat rate for dinner on the WBY has me looking for alternatives.

We have eaten in it twice this year, at Easter I'm pretty sure it was at least 10 euro cheaper for each option 2/3 course. The foods decent enough but its seriously overpriced at the €60 mark. Also they seemed to overcompensate for the high cost by bringing chips with all the mains which was simply too much food. My wife's coeliac so its tends to limit our choices around meals on the ship. Our dinner bill for 4 two weeks ago was eyewatering, Chapter one would be cheaper. The LG is good for gluten free bread and dishes etc. The Barra Familla was the Freight Drivers lounge at Easter but almost no Freight on the crossings we did in July

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    We have eaten in it twice this year, at Easter I'm pretty sure it was at least 10 euro cheaper for each option 2/3 course. The foods decent enough but its seriously overpriced at the €60 mark. Also they seemed to overcompensate for the high cost by bringing chips with all the mains which was simply too much food. My wife's coeliac so its tends to limit our choices around meals on the ship. Our dinner bill for 4 two weeks ago was eyewatering, Chapter one would be cheaper. The LG is good for gluten free bread and dishes etc. The Barra Familla was the Freight Drivers lounge at Easter but almost no Freight on the crossings we did in July
    Thanks. So if I understand you correctly, there is a two course option in the Lady Gregory for €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

In case anyone is thinking of doing ‘Club Class’ on WBY... we booked it sailing to France a couple of weeks ago.
    The lounge is very comfy with great views. It was very quiet, not too many people in it.
    Snacks, teas and soft drinks are supplied and as we’d had lunch before we boarded we just snacked for the evening, no need to buy a meal although our young lad had something from the Barra Familia

We’d booked an inner 4 berth club class cabin - 80€ more than normal 4 berth.

But beware some of these cabins are directly over the kennels. We had to be moved as the barking of the dogs was too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

I honestly cant remember but don't think we were given a two course option at dinner last time . Pretty sure we were just given the 3 course menu and ordered off that. I know someone posted the sign on the door with options and prices but we must have missed that as I would have went for 2. There's a kids menu also and that's a bit inflated by comparison too. Having said all that the food is decent and its a nice room to eat in particularly if the weathers good and you're at a window table

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    I honestly cant remember but don't think we were given a two course option at dinner last time . Pretty sure we were just given the 3 course menu and ordered off that. I know someone posted the sign on the door with options and prices but we must have missed that as I would have went for 2. There's a kids menu also and that's a bit inflated by comparison too. Having said all that the food is decent and its a nice room to eat in particularly if the weathers good and you're at a window table

OK; I'm just trying to figure out what you meant when you said;

"I'm pretty sure it was at least 10 euro cheaper for each option 2/3 course"

Is it a set 3 course meal for 60 Euro or not?

Its not that I'm especially energised over ten Euro but I do object to paying for stuff I don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

€50.00 for a two course meal !!!. Are ye off yer trollies?. Then you have to buy wine/beer...

€50.00 for a two course meal !!!. Are ye off yer trollies?. Then you have to buy wine/beer...

Yeah, 2 for 50 or 3 for 60 is a lot for the comfort of table service. Maybe they will cop on eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The set menu is ridiculously overpriced on the WBY.
    However we had the breakfast in the Lady Gregory on our way over to France this year and, although a bit dearer than the main canteen, the portions were absolutely massive and we were well set for the rest of the day. I didn't feel hungry until that evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's like 30 for mains and 20 for dessert!

I'd save that for a really good restaurant on land

That's like 30 for mains and 20 for dessert!

I'd save that for a really good restaurant on land

I hope those using the ship are voting with their feet and staying out of it. That's the only way to bring about change.

I've been a regular on the OW for years and was looking forward to the new ship sailing out of Dublin. Regrettably, the feedback has been very poor and this nonsense with the restaurant puts a cap on it. It all has me looking at Rosslare and even Cork as real alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I hope those using the ship are voting with their feet and staying out of it. That's the only way to bring about change.

I've been a regular on the OW for years and was looking forward to the new ship sailing out of Dublin. Regrettably, the feedback has been very poor and this nonsense with the restaurant puts a cap on it. It all has me looking at Rosslare and even Cork as real alternatives.

Personally I find it difficult to beat the BF Cork route. Sailing times are fab.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think I must have been on a different ship. I thought the food from Boylans Brasserie was very good. Way better than I was expecting and that I'd experienced on other ferries. It was fresh, hot, tasty, and very generous portions. I was particularly surprised at the mountain of food the full Irish breakfast was on the plate for 13 quid.

Also thought the ship itself was very nice, loads and loads of comfortable seating options, lounges etc. Nice decor, friendly staff.

This is coming from someone who was royally peed off last summer with IF following the ship delay disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

spockety wrote: »
    I think I must have been on a different ship. I thought the food from Boylans Brasserie was very good. Way better than I was expecting and that I'd experienced on other ferries. It was fresh, hot, tasty, and very generous portions. I was particularly surprised at the mountain of food the full Irish breakfast was on the plate for 13 quid.

Also thought the ship itself was very nice, loads and loads of comfortable seating options, lounges etc. Nice decor, friendly staff.

This is coming from someone who was royally peed off last summer with IF following the ship delay disaster.

I was happy enough with the WBY, it's fine. It is an improvement on the OW, even if it's more or less the same thing in a different layout.

'm not sure what the obsession with the 2 courses vs 3 courses thing in the posh restaurant is (it shows the options on the photo I posted above). There are 4 food options on the WBY; I've never been on the Stena ship but I suspect there isn't a fancy waiter service restaurant, and any time I've looked it's not much cheaper than IF.

Advertisement