Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

loyatemu wrote: »
    I was happy enough with the WBY, it's fine. It is an improvement on the OW, even if it's more or less the same thing in a different layout.

'm not sure what the obsession with the 2 courses vs 3 courses thing in the posh restaurant is (it shows the options on the photo I posted above). There are 4 food options on the WBY; I've never been on the Stena ship but I suspect there isn't a fancy waiter service restaurant, and any time I've looked it's not much cheaper than IF.

The OW was much more comfortable than the Stena Horizon and I expect the WBY is too. It does sound a bit dull though.

Food isn't everything and I wouldn't describe it as an obsession but a 60 euro take it or leave it offer is not what I'd call user friendly either and it isn't how I'd go about wooing customers.

They have taken away one of their competitive advantages (for me anyway) so it will be down to price and scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

The WBY definitely has some good points in comparison to the OW, the beds are more comfortable I think, the car decks are much less of a squeeze & the common areas seem more spacious for example.

Some things aren’t quite right & are already due for upgrade in October when the busy season ends. Signage, cat & dog facilities to mention a couple.

We sailed from France on Saturday night & our trip was quite delayed because of the storm affecting the sailing from Dublin. (Vouchers for tea / coffee etc were handed out at checkin as a small apology.) The staff were amazingly cheerful considering the long hours worked & what I’m sure felt for them, a quick turnaround in Cherbourg. However, the two lengthy queues at either end of the bar on what I thought was still quite a rough sea, added further discomfort in addition to the hours spent driving to Cherbourg & the hours sitting on the jetty waiting to board. Table service for the first hour or so just to get people sorted in comfort maybe?
    We were very happy to escape into the comfort of the restaurant! In fact, we wondered if that was part of its function now. It has an air of maybe exclusivity or comfort that The Bernaval didn’t. So if you don’t have a premium cabin (we didn’t) or book club class (we didn’t) there’s still a quieter option. At a cost although one people seemed happy to pay as it was quite busy on Saturday night.

Baybay wrote: »
    The WBY definitely has some good points in comparison to the OW, the beds are more comfortable I think, the car decks are much less of a squeeze & the common areas seem more spacious for example.

Some things aren’t quite right & are already due for upgrade in October when the busy season ends. Signage, cat & dog facilities to mention a couple.

We sailed from France on Saturday night & our trip was quite delayed because of the storm affecting the sailing from Dublin. (Vouchers for tea / coffee etc were handed out at checkin as a small apology.) The staff were amazingly cheerful considering the long hours worked & what I’m sure felt for them, a quick turnaround in Cherbourg. However, the two lengthy queues at either end of the bar on what I thought was still quite a rough sea, added further discomfort in addition to the hours spent driving to Cherbourg & the hours sitting on the jetty waiting to board. Table service for the first hour or so just to get people sorted in comfort maybe?
    We were very happy to escape into the comfort of the restaurant! In fact, we wondered if that was part of its function now. It has an air of maybe exclusivity or comfort that The Bernaval didn’t. So if you don’t have a premium cabin (we didn’t) or book club class (we didn’t) there’s still a quieter option. At a cost although one people seemed happy to pay as it was quite busy on Saturday night.

Thanks for the feedback - mostly positive I'm happy to see.

I thought the Berneval struck a happy medium between comfort/quality and cost but we'll see how it goes.

As a matter of interest, is there a cheesy cabaret like the one on the OW? The kids loved it and it killed a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

First Up wrote: »

As a matter of interest, is there a cheesy cabaret like the one on the OW? The kids loved it and it killed a few hours.

Afraid I can’t help with that one! Not a great sailor & for me the sea was a bit rough so headed off to bed straight after dinner.
    The quick peek we took in the bar before dinner when we saw the queues would suggest no but maybe there was later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

First Up wrote: »

There's kids entertainment in Cafe Lafyette. Pretty similar to what was on OW, and magician was same person as on OW last year, doing same tricks! Kids didn't cop this though!

It is also better laid out for kids entertainment. Always felt the kids entertainment on OW was a bit of a scrum.

Not sure about Maud Gonne bar. Didn't even go there (wasn't aware of its existence!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

No cabaret that I saw. Just a couple of musicians with guitars on the 2 trips I was on for the 9.00-11.30pm time slot. Don't know what was on before that

jay0109 wrote: »
    No cabaret that I saw. Just a couple of musicians with guitars on the 2 trips I was on for the 9.00-11.30pm time slot. Don't know what was on before that

OK thanks. As I said, it all seems a bit duller than it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My impression of the WBY was it is very good.
    Thought the food in the brasserie was overpriced and lukewarm. Sure the fancy restaurant is also a bit overpriced as well but the breakfast there is good value
    The bar was grand with a decent selection of drinks.
    My only real gripe was the soft play area which is absolutely tiny and completely unsupervised. It was full of older children knocking lumps out of each other and not a staff member in sight to tell them to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Heroditas wrote: »
    Thought the food in the brasserie was overpriced and lukewarm. Sure the fancy restaurant is also a bit overpriced as well but the breakfast there is good value
    My only real gripe was the soft play area which is absolutely tiny and completely unsupervised. It was full of older children knocking lumps out of each other and not a staff member in sight to tell them to get out.

Isnt that a parents job? I dont want to pay more to keep someone employed to manage other parents kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Isnt that a parents job? I dont want to pay more to keep someone employed to manage other parents kids.

You are soooo pre 1990's :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

So just booked Dublin to Cherbourg for Thursday. First time camping outside Ireland. Return 10 days.

A few pointers appreciated.

How soon before sail would you need to be checked in at Dublin port. ?
    Is the booking reference my ticket?
    Can you bring your own food and drink on board?

Will be driving to campsite near roscoff, any driving advice. 4 hour drive.

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

tmabr wrote: »
    So just booked Dublin to Cherbourg for Thursday. First time camping outside Ireland. Return 10 days.

Tia

Stay on the right hand side of the road would be my biggest advice

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Heroditas wrote: »

Was there a swing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was there a swing ?

In the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tmabr wrote: »

they say one hour, probably best to aim for that (though in reality if you get there before they lift the ramp, they'll probably still let you on). The IF terminal is way down the back of the port, it's about 10 mins drive from the Eastlink/Tunnel
    pretty much, they'll generally check you in based on your car reg, but you might need to show the email after which you'll be given your boarding card and cabin keys.
    yes.
    Tia
    pretty much all motorway/dual-carriageway between Cherbourg and Roscoff so it's straightforward enough, just make sure you don't miss the turn off for Brittany (N174) about 40 minutes out of Cherbourg. For some reason (daydreaming after getting off the ferry or whatever) I've missed it twice in the past and had to double back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Hi, do many people use Tesco Tokens to book the ferry? It’s says terms and conditions apply, and time restrictions on bookings etc. Can you use the tokens for peak times like July? Also does anyone know if you have to pay the full amount up front if booking IF with Tesco tokens? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hi, do many people use Tesco Tokens to book the ferry? It’s says terms and conditions apply, and time restrictions on bookings etc. Can you use the tokens for peak times like July? Also does anyone know if you have to pay the full amount up front if booking IF with Tesco tokens? TIA

Check with the tokens and without. As the price can often be over inflated for the tokens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We have used Tesco Tokens. I usually do the Booking on the phone when using them.

I pay the €99 Deposit and then closer to the Payment Deadline, I convert all my Tesco Tokens into an Irish Ferries Voucher and then phone Irish Ferries again with the Voucher Code.

We usually travel the 3rd week in June and home mid-July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Check with the tokens and without. As the price can often be over inflated for the tokens.

I find that it only makes sense if you have a lot of Tesco Tokens. We had over €1,000 this year as we are getting the Ferry every second year. Though it does not need to be that much for it to be advantageous.

loyatemu wrote: »
    they say one hour, probably best to aim for that (though in reality if you get there before they lift the ramp, they'll probably still let you on). The IF terminal is way down the back of the port, it's about 10 mins drive from the Eastlink/Tunnel

pretty much, they'll generally check you in based on your car reg, but you might need to show the email after which you'll be given your boarding card and cabin keys.

yes.

pretty much all motorway/dual-carriageway between Cherbourg and Roscoff so it's straightforward enough, just make sure you don't miss the turn off for Brittany (N174) about 40 minutes out of Cherbourg. For some reason (daydreaming after getting off the ferry or whatever) I've missed it twice in the past and had to double back.
    Much appreciated. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

All it takes is a member of staff to occasionally walk by.
    As for parents, unfortunately the vast majority were ignoring their kids and busy on their phones. Then again, we shouldn't expect anything better nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

My thoughts exactly. Would you expect county council's to employ someone to police every playground!
    I was quite happy with the WBY. We traveled early July. It was very comfortable - plenty of seating compared to the OW (perhaps our sailing was not sold out). There are plenty of choices to eat. I like the fact that the children's entertainment has been separated from the bar entertainment. And because it is a large boat, theoretically sea sickness should be less of an issue.
    My only gripe was the 60 minute delay departing, not sure where the fault lay there as the seas were smooth. I was hoping the time would be made up on the crossing but we didn't get off the boat till 12:15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's not my job to parent other people's children - if there's maximum ages/ heights I'd expect that to be enforced by staff (on a walk around basis rather than a permanent person there) to be honest. They'd only have to run the older ones a few times.

Will the Irish EHU lead work in France? Or is an adapter required. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's not my job to parent other people's children - if there's maximum ages/ heights I'd expect that to be enforced by staff (on a walk around basis rather than a permanent person there) to be honest. They'd only have to run the older ones a few times.

Can the parents of the older kids not enforce it? oh wait they are in the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Can the parents of the older kids not enforce it? oh wait they are in the bar

Exactly, it's not IF's job to parent kids who are over the recommended age/height of the soft play area just as it's not a councils job to pay someone to monitor the age/height of those using a playground swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Macy0161 wrote: »

As far as I remember it states on a sign that the area is unsupervised. If a person has an issue with that, don't place your kids there.. my issue earlier this yr was older kids pushing smaller kids (not mine) and the parents of said kids watching this unfold. I took exception to this and said the same to the parent's and then they took their kids away.. I think everyone is too scared to say anything to anyone in this era for fear of causing offence.. maybe it's age and cranky dad phase is kicking in with me.. :-) but bad manners is still bad manners nowadays or 30 yrs ago when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Am stuck in rainy Brittany and am now definitely set on the Dordogne next year.

Has anyone stayed at Camping Le Capeyrou ? Looks fab (and warm!). But would it be dull for kids I wonder, no slides? Kids would be 9 and 11 next summer...

Am on Des Menhirs in Carnac currently. Back by special request of 10yo. Pool area in fairness vv nice. Has arcade though which has sucked up all 10 yo pocket money despite my warnings. Far too many “animations” for my taste also. Ok overall. Just vv wet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

MorganIRL wrote: »
    As far as I remember it states on a sign that the area is unsupervised. If a person has an issue with that, don't place your kids there.. my issue earlier this yr was older kids pushing smaller kids (not mine) and the parents of said kids watching this unfold. I took exception to this and said the same to the parent's and then they took their kids away.. I think everyone is too scared to say anything to anyone in this era for fear of causing offence.. maybe it's age and cranky dad phase is kicking in with me.. :-) but bad manners is still bad manners nowadays or 30 yrs ago when I was a child.
    No you’re completely right I agree. Bad manners and shocking really. I was annoyed several times by this kind of carry on on holidays this year. Two incidences in particular really annoyed me. In campsite playground some children were throwing sand in other children’s faces. Young enough kids (5/6 years) parents nowhere to be seen. Also the lack or care or guidance when their children are out riding bikes around moving cars, along camp roadside etc. Pure madness. Children no more than 4 years of age on bikes, again, parents were nowhere to be seen!! This is just wreckless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

ellee wrote: »
    Am stuck in rainy Brittany and am now definitely set on the Dordogne next year.

Has anyone stayed at Camping Le Capeyrou ? Looks fab (and warm!). But would it be dull for kids I wonder, no slides? Kids would be 9 and 11 next summer...

Am on Des Menhirs in Carnac currently. Back by special request of 10yo. Pool area in fairness vv nice. Has arcade though which has sucked up all 10 yo pocket money despite my warnings. Far too many “animations” for my taste also. Ok overall. Just vv wet :(

I cannot comment on that site as I have never been. But we stayed nearby this summer - I had almost booked Le Capeyrou but opted for a cheaper place. I think it is now my favourite part of France - river, weather, food, scenery, castles, caves. The location of that campsite is fantastic - I noted that as I kayaked past it :).

Advertisement