Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

No you’re completely right I agree. Bad manners and shocking really. I was annoyed several times by this kind of carry on on holidays this year. Two incidences in particular really annoyed me. In campsite playground some children were throwing sand in other children’s faces. Young enough kids (5/6 years) parents nowhere to be seen. Also the lack or care or guidance when their children are out riding bikes around moving cars, along camp roadside etc. Pure madness. Children no more than 4 years of age on bikes, again, parents were nowhere to be seen!! This is just wreckless

The above is the main reason we won't be returning to le Clarys plage, great resort, well ran. But the amount of kids running around unsupervised on the main access road was crazy. No issue with kids just parents, as I felt I couldn't enjoy the bar area as multiple kids running wild through the chairs and tables throughout the bar area. Run around ur own parents leave the rest of us alone. But that's the "entitlement" attitude some Irish people have now a days.. back to the loire valley area nxt yr for us, where more mainland Europeans holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

MorganIRL wrote: »
    The above is the main reason we won't be returning to le Clarys plage, great resort, well ran. But the amount of kids running around unsupervised on the main access road was crazy. No issue with kids just parents, as I felt I couldn't enjoy the bar area as multiple kids running wild through the chairs and tables throughout the bar area. Run around ur own parents leave the rest of us alone. But that's the "entitlement" attitude some Irish people have now a days.. back to the loire valley area nxt yr for us, where more mainland Europeans holiday.

I'm heading there in a few days, I see nothing wrong with kids running around having fun, for me these holidays are for the kids as long as they have fun I'm happy, if I as an adult wanted a peaceful relaxing holiday a campsite in France is the last place I'd go

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'm heading there in a few days, I see nothing wrong with kids running around having fun, for me these holidays are for the kids as long as they have fun I'm happy, if I as an adult wanted a peaceful relaxing holiday a campsite in France is the last place I'd go

Ya each to there own, just wasn't our cup of tea. And I agree kids are supposed to run around. But my kids are brought up to be respectful of others, what we experienced in the "bar area" wasn't. Trust me with 8, 6 & 2 yr old kids I wasn't away to relax. My issue is where the kids were aloud to run riot, maybe I didn't explain myself, sorry. The site is brilliant, plenty of sand play areas around the campsite, outside of the pool area, but that's why they are called play areas. And I don't blame the kids it's the parents of the kids we encountered.

Im positive you will have a great holiday because the facilities are excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Hi, do many people use Tesco Tokens to book the ferry? It’s says terms and conditions apply, and time restrictions on bookings etc. Can you use the tokens for peak times like July? Also does anyone know if you have to pay the full amount up front if booking IF with Tesco tokens? TIA

We use them all the time and you can use them at peak times. I think once converted to IF vouchers you have to use them up within six months. You do pay an extra booking deposit of €20 for each leg of the journey when using them.
    Not sure about paying up front or a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

MorganIRL wrote: »
    As far as I remember it states on a sign that the area is unsupervised. If a person has an issue with that, don't place your kids there.. my issue earlier this yr was older kids pushing smaller kids (not mine) and the parents of said kids watching this unfold. I took exception to this and said the same to the parent's and then they took their kids away.. I think everyone is too scared to say anything to anyone in this era for fear of causing offence.. maybe it's age and cranky dad phase is kicking in with me.. :-) but bad manners is still bad manners nowadays or 30 yrs ago when I was a child.
    Fair enough. I don't think we even saw the play area - the age ours now, apart from the cinema and eating, all they're bothered about is wifi...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ellee wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed at Camping Le Capeyrou ? Looks fab (and warm!). But would it be dull for kids I wonder, no slides? Kids would be 9 and 11 next summer...
    I stayed a few km south of there in Camping Le Moulin De Paulhiac (with Eurocamp) this year and would thoroughly recommend it.
    I think the pool complex is far superior compared to what I can see in Camping Le Capeyrou. (in fact I think every campsite I've stayed at in recent years has been better to be honest)
    Given that my two kids (now 13 & 15) always tended to steer their campsite preferences around the pool and slides, I'd say that Camping Le Capeyrou may disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I stayed a few km south of there in Camping Le Moulin De Paulhiac (with Eurocamp) this year and would thoroughly recommend it.
    I think the pool complex is far superior compared to what I can see in Camping Le Capeyrou. (in fact I think every campsite I've stayed at in recent years has been better to be honest)
    Given that my two kids (now 13 & 15) always tended to steer their campsite preferences around the pool and slides, I'd say that Camping Le Capeyrou may disappoint.

Mine do the same alas no question. Still it’s my holiday too. Was thinking of telling them we’d do a more pool orientated site the next year. How was the entertainment on your site? Low key or full on? Hard to tell from the websites. Thank you!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ellee wrote: »
    Mine do the same alas no question. Still it’s my holiday too. Was thinking of telling them we’d do a more pool orientated site the next year. How was the entertainment on your site? Low key or full on? Hard to tell from the websites. Thank you!
    We don't really want the campsite entertainment but that campsite had various things such as bands and clowns and stuff.
    We tended to relax in the evenings with a book or play a board game (with the obligatory bottle of wine of course).
    The on site campsite food was good. Bread and pastries were great and pizzas and chips were lovely.
    We will return to it.

Looking at your site, I can't see much going for it (when compared to most sites ive stayed on) apart from the spectacular view. However, your pitch may not even have a view of the chateau!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone here book with Allcamps.ie/ Haven't heard too much about them before but they have a site we're interested in for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Hi,
    Has anyone stayed in Ile de re and any recommended campsites?
    Thinking of going next year as like the idea of a cycle friendly island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone know how much a carton of 200 cigarettes are on the ferry, or would they be cheaper to buy individually in fance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much a carton of 200 cigarettes are on the ferry, or would they be cheaper to buy individually in fance

As a former smoker I can tell you they don't sell cartons of 200's on Irish Ferries and there used to be a Max of 40 cigs per person (they are cheaper) This was a couple of years ago so I don't know if they still operate that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Pretzill wrote: »
    As a former smoker I can tell you they don't sell cartons of 200's on Irish Ferries and there used to be a Max of 40 cigs per person (they are cheaper) This was a couple of years ago so I don't know if they still operate that way.

Same last week, 2 pack maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

garrethr wrote: »
    Hi,

Stayed in Camping la Grainetière this year. We loved it and could not find fault; but it depends on what you like of course. It is a small family-run site, so a lot different to the larger "holiday park" type sites. Ile-de-re is great - I would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Has anyone every inquired about upgrading their cabin? I know you can ask at check-in when flying, but just wondering does the same work with the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anyone here book with Allcamps.ie/ Haven't heard too much about them before but they have a site we're interested in for next year.

Quazzie, I haven’t used them but coming back from France at the weekend, I noticed they were one of the names printed on my canvas wallet from kelair. They are an Irish travel company based in Ballinasloe. So probably connected? Kelair in Benodet were fine, but mobile v tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

alowe wrote: »
    Has anyone every inquired about upgrading their cabin? I know you can ask at check-in when flying, but just wondering does the same work with the boat?

You can, usually at reception onboard. In advance you can ring up and do it anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Waffle wrote: »
    Stayed in Camping la Grainetière this year. We loved it and could not find fault; but it depends on what you like of course. It is a small family-run site, so a lot different to the larger "holiday park" type sites. Ile-de-re is great - I would highly recommend.

Have stayed here and Interlude.
    La Grainetiere is a great small campsite, food is good and it's a generally good vibe. It's close to La Flotte which is an advantage. Its a distance from the beach though.
    Evening entertainment was a bit low end, but to be fair kids always seemed to enjoy it.

Interlude is much bigger, the food is nearly too good. Its a 5* restaurant to go with a 5* site. The small shop does pizza but that's really it.
    It's right in the beach though which is great.
    It has a really active kids club and there's always 3 or 4 things happening.
    Evening entertainment was much better, although there were some oddities of the fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

kindalen wrote: »
    You can, usually at reception onboard. In advance you can ring up and do it anytime.

Sorry I probably should have said 'free upgrade' ☺️ as they've already allocated cabins when booking not sure if it's possible. May ask at check in and see what their answer is 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

We traveled Cherbourg-Rosslare on the Stena Horizon on Sunday 18th August, it departed at 3pm French time. The crossing was fine (apart from Kilkenny being beaten!) until around 12 midnight.
    We had a spacious 6 berth outside cabin on deck 6, cabin 606 close to the front of the boat.
    From midnight it become very bumpy and noisy. Plenty of the hard juddering sounds when waves hit. Several loose items in the cabin were sent flying. Heard a few people being sick in the corridor/in their nearby cabins.
    It wasn't an absolutely terrible crossing but was unpleasant. My 12 year old asked me was the boat going to sink..

For the proposes of comparison did anyone travel on Irish Ferries WB Yates on Sunday, which departed at 4pm French time? I'm trying to figure out if the larger WBY could deal with rougher seas better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sorry I probably should have said 'free upgrade' ☺️ as they've already allocated cabins when booking not sure if it's possible. May ask at check in and see what their answer is ðŸ˜

I would say no. I travelled many years ago on P&O out of Hull and asked for an upgrade - got fine 4* cabin for 20 pound extra. In my innocence asked the same on Irish Ferries crossing to France - they will upgrade you no problem but at the full price - wouldn't entertain any kind of discount. This was on the Oscar Wilde haven't asked on the WB but I suppose if you don't ask you won't get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Looking for recommendations for a Campsite on/near the West Coast of France. South of La Rochelle and North of the Bordeaux region.
    Kids would be 12 & 15. We would be driving. Second half of June.

Looking at Sequoia Parc but not sure if Kids would be too old for that Site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Sorry I probably should have said 'free upgrade' ☺️ as they've already allocated cabins when booking not sure if it's possible. May ask at check in and see what their answer is ðŸ˜

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for a Campsite on/near the West Coast of France. South of La Rochelle and North of the Bordeaux region.
    Kids would be 12 & 15. We would be driving. Second half of June.

Looking at Sequoia Parc but not sure if Kids would be too old for that Site ?

Sequoia is very isolated from every where.

I would go to Les Charmettes, 20 min further drive but alot more around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Sequoia is very isolated from every where.

I would go to Les Charmettes, 20 min further drive but alot more around it.

Thanks a mill. Will have a look at Les Charmettes.

Don't mind isolation if Site itself is suitable. Decent Pools a must. St. Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne is our favourite Site and it is pretty isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

manshay wrote: »
    Plenty of the hard juddering sounds when waves hit.
    Juddering is the stabilizers - why lots of merchant sea workers (tankers/ cargo ships etc.) hate ferries and their unnatural motion!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Hi,

Have stayed in Camping Le Suroit in Le Bois de Plage, and Camping L'Ocean halfway between La Couarde and Ars en Ré. Both recommended - the first is especially good if you have small children because it's small and quiet. The second is bigger but still a friendly size with a nice pool complex and right beside one of the cycle paths so getting about on the bike is a cinch.

Ile de Ré is a great spot for holidays, but it can be expensive. Eating out follows the French rules with very few - if any - restaurants open outside the 12.00-14.00 and 19.00-21.00 hours. The beaches are beautiful and unspoilt - no beds/sun umbrellas for hire and no beach bars. However there are some terrific food markets (the markets are excellent there) and if you like seafood you're in heaven. With over 100km of cycle paths you can get anywhere on the island quite easily and safely - it's a cyclist's dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Does anyone know when the ferry companies usually release their schedule for the next summer?

It'd be good to see the days they are sailing to help with planning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PCX wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the ferry companies usually release their schedule for the next summer?

It'd be good to see the days they are sailing to help with planning

Probably the same as this year. Have always left Cork on Pont Aven on a Saturdsy afternoon and returned on a Friday evening from Roscoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

La Sequoia Parc- anyone been and how did ye find it

possible flight to La Rochelle and travel from there

Advertisement