Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched but it's a long thread, thinking of towing the trailer tent to vendee region. Car, tent, 2 adults, 2 possibly 3 kids - 16 yr old might opt out.
    What were return fares with IF from Dublin to Cherbourg, towing a tent/caravan in 2019???

Much appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

SlinkyL wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched but it's a long thread, thinking of towing the trailer tent to vendee region. Car, tent, 2 adults, 2 possibly 3 kids - 16 yr old might opt out.
    What were return fares with IF from Dublin to Cherbourg, towing a tent/caravan in 2019???

Much appreciated..

At the risk of stating the glaringly obvious, why not look at their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Baybay wrote: »
    La Carabasse in Vias Plage might be comparable but it’s a while now since we’ve been. It’s certainly close to the beach!

Thanks will have a look at that one

just for my own 2 cents, we've been to La Sirene in Argeles sur mer, great campsite, but also a bit too lively for our tastes, we're actually looking at its sister site across the road (l'hippocampe) - the campsite there is much more laid back, but you still have full access to all the facilities in la sirene - also, the pool complex is fantastic in la sirene, with its own dedicated splash parc and heated indoor areas.

Yeah we considered this one in the past and shared your concern around the noise levels. Gets great reviews and probably save it until the girls are a bit older.

I understand Hippocampe does suffer a bit from the noise levels next door !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone ever stayed in Alicourts, between Orleans and Bourges?

https://www.lesalicourts.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

josip wrote: »
    Anyone ever stayed in Alicourts, between Orleans and Bourges?

https://www.lesalicourts.com
    Stayed last year 2018, great site. Looking at going back again nxt yr. Opening and closing times of pool are a bit different. Any questions give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Much appreciated..

2019 or 2020?

Because the Vendee will be shutting down in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Yeah we considered this one in the past and shared your concern around the noise levels. Gets great reviews and probably save it until the girls are a bit older.

I understand Hippocampe does suffer a bit from the noise levels next door !

We’ve stayed in le soliel down the road from there. It’s main advantages are it’s proximity to the beach and the fact that it’s smaller and quieter than le serine while still having a fantastic pool complex and great facilities.

The area of argeles/coulliere/st cyprien is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

2019 or 2020?

I think they are asking about 2019 Fares to gauge Prices for 2020 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I think they are asking about 2019 Fares to gauge Prices for 2020 ?

Thanks and Sorry - that was a brain fart on my part.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    We’ve stayed in le soliel down the road from there. It’s main advantages are it’s proximity to the beach and the fact that it’s smaller and quieter than le serine while still having a fantastic pool complex and great facilities.

The area of argeles/coulliere/st cyprien is fantastic.

Thanks, will have a look at that one also !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Stayed last year 2018, great site. Looking at going back again nxt yr. Opening and closing times of pool are a bit different. Any questions give me a shout.

Was thinking of chancing that place this year but in the end we decided against, only because it seemed too isolated for us. We like to be able to walk into the nearest village/town. Seems like a great site other than that though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We stayed at La Carabasse for the last two years. Its a brilliant site so ask any questions if you want. Heading back again next year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very sad news today, coming from La Croix du Vieux Pont outside Paris, a 12yr old boy from Yorkshire, drowned in the lake. Worst nightmare.

Stayed their last year, a really lovely site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very sad news today, coming from La Croix du Vieux Pont outside Paris, a 12yr old boy from Yorkshire, drowned in the lake. Worst nightmare.

Stayed their last year, a really lovely site.

That’s awful news. I’ve been a few times, the lake does get deep in the centre. A parents worst nightmare. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

First Up wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback - mostly positive I'm happy to see.

I thought the Berneval struck a happy medium between comfort/quality and cost but we'll see how it goes.

As a matter of interest, is there a cheesy cabaret like the one on the OW? The kids loved it and it killed a few hours.

Just home from France, and here's my thoughts on the WB Yeats.
    Nice ship, crossings were very smooth and it seems to be a bit faster than the OW.
    Need to learn the layout, and how decks/accomodation is arranged.
    Stairway areas are less "open" on the WB, shop is much smaller and is located up a staircase in the restuarant area, only one cimema, no Cabaret floorshow, cabins a little smaller and the bathrooms in the cabin are tighter.
    The beds are comfortable and while smaller the rooms are perfectly acceptable.
    Its nice to have a brand new ship, with no painting over layers of rust outside.
    Less outside space, as there is no lower deck railings, the enclosed rooms are the full width of the new ship.
    The lifeboats are less visible....
    The interior is more spacious, the food was very good , bar area small and not very speedy serving. Pints were 6.20.
    Having said that, the lack of the cabaret ment much fewer people in the bar at night.
    Lots of seating everywhere.
    They no longer give you a sticker when you get out of your car telling you what deck you have parked on, and which staircase you come back down, so take note.
    So overall, its a positive from us. Clean, spacious and speedy.

Was thinking of chancing that place this year but in the end we decided against, only because it seemed too isolated for us. We like to be able to walk into the nearest village/town. Seems like a great site other than that though

Ya it is isolated, even going for a cycle brings you no where :-) the site has a load of things within it to keep u and any little ones busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just home from France, and here's my thoughts on the WB Yeats.
    Nice ship, crossings were very smooth and it seems to be a bit faster than the OW.
    Need to learn the layout, and how decks/accomodation is arranged.
    Stairway areas are less "open" on the WB, shop is much smaller and is located up a staircase in the restuarant area, only one cimema, no Cabaret floorshow, cabins a little smaller and the bathrooms in the cabin are tighter.
    The beds are comfortable and while smaller the rooms are perfectly acceptable.
    Its nice to have a brand new ship, with no painting over layers of rust outside.
    Less outside space, as there is no lower deck railings, the enclosed rooms are the full width of the new ship.
    The lifeboats are less visible....
    The interior is more spacious, the food was very good , bar area small and not very speedy serving. Pints were 6.20.
    Having said that, the lack of the cabaret ment much fewer people in the bar at night.
    Lots of seating everywhere.
    They no longer give you a sticker when you get out of your car telling you what deck you have parked on, and which staircase you come back down, so take note.
    So overall, its a positive from us. Clean, spacious and speedy.

Thanks.

Where did you eat?

Boylans brasserie, it was perfectly good.
    Hectic at times, but then they are probably doing between a thousand and fifteen hundred covers a sailing.

2019 or 2020?

2020, I have looked on website but timetables not available yet for 2020. Just wanted a ballpark to get an idea..

July 2020 if anyone travelled with irish ferries this summer might give me an idea. Thanks

Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

2020, I have looked on website but timetables not available yet for 2020. Just wanted a ballpark to get an idea..

July 2020 if anyone travelled with irish ferries this summer might give me an idea. Thanks

Thx

We travelled on WB Yeats, Thurs 4th July, returning 21st. 4 bed regular cabin with window, 2 adults, 2 children older than 4, car, speedy exit. Cost was just below €1400

Newcomers1 wrote: »
    We travelled on WB Yeats, Thurs 4th July, returning 21st. 4 bed regular cabin with window, 2 adults, 2 children older than 4, car, speedy exit. Cost was just below €1400

Super, thank you so much for your reply, very helpful :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Newcomers1 wrote: »

We travelled with Stena Rosslare-Cherbourg, €847.52 including food, flexi fares
    Out 1st August, 1 adult, 1 child, 2 berth cabin, lunch for 2
    Back 18th August 2 adults, 3 children, 6 berth cabin, dinner for 5

Travelled this month, sailing mid week both ways with two adults and one teenager.
    Motorhome over 7 metres long.
    Four berth cabin, no windows.
    810 euro, minus a discount of some kind (early booking? Booked in January) of 79 euro.
    Total 729 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We went WB Yeats.

Outbound second last week in June, mid-week, return Sat in mid-July, Car with extra height and Bikes on back, 2 Adults, 2 Kids, 4 Berth Cabin with Window each way.

Was just over €1,200 Return but Thanks to Tesco Tokens and Early Booking Discount, we paid under €200.

Traveled out 19th June return 30th June with Irish Ferries. 2a3k (1 2yr old), Jeep, bikes on back and roof box. Speedy exit both ways. 3 star 4 berth no windows. €991.80

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The wb Yeats is only alright, there seems to be alot more seating alright but the decor is very dull, our sailing was very smooth even though the captain warned to expect 3-6 meter waves half way through our sailing, cabins were nice with excellent showers, the TV in the room is a nice welcome but it's in a poor position or even too big, food was better then I expected too, only real gripe I'd have with the ship is that there is absolutely nothing to do for the kids unless they are under 3 when they can go in the tiny soft play area, could they not at least have a games room or something, one cinema showing films kids have seen ma
    Mths before isn't great either

We stayed at La Carabasse for the last two years. Its a brilliant site so ask any questions if you want. Heading back again next year

Thanks, will have a look and let you know if I have any other questions on it

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

We did Stena - Rosslare/Cherbourg

Out Tuesday 30 July; Back Friday 16 Aug

Flexi fare - car only with bike rack

2 adults, 2 children

1 cabin with window - €736

I got the benefit of a discount deal in late Autumn. Actually cancelled the earlier booking and rebooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ellee wrote: »
    We did Stena - Rosslare/Cherbourg

Out Tuesday 30 July; Back Friday 16 Aug

Flexi fare - car only with bike rack

2 adults, 2 children

1 cabin with window - €736

I got the benefit of a discount deal in late Autumn. Actually cancelled the earlier booking and rebooked.

Was on the same outbound sailing but home Wed 14th.

2 adults, 3 children, 1 dog
    4 bed 2* no window + 1 recliner (unused)
    Motorhome <8m long
    Flexi fare

€806

Advertisement