Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I looked in to this for last Euros and none would let you leave Ireland with it. Would be a better idea to fly to France and rent one there. While the camper will be cheaper than normal accommodation you will find you will not be able to get anywhere near the stadiums with it, I'd advise pre booking camp sites that will accommodate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

I looked in to this for last Euros and none would let you leave Ireland with it. Would be a better idea to fly to France and rent one there. While the camper will be cheaper than normal accommodation you will find you will not be able to get anywhere near the stadiums with it, I'd advise pre booking camp sites that will accommodate it.
    Ya thanks I've looked into hiring one in France, but having no luck so far, best option I've been able to come up with so far is fly to Dusseldorf and hire a camper there and drive to France, it'd be a bit of a trek but can't find anywhere in France online that have any campers available,
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Traveling to this campsite early June.
    Ferry: Cork to Roscoff.. Google maps state 525km, 5:37 hrs travel time. Has any one done that trip and is this a realistic time?
    Will need at least two stops based on this for our 20 month old - suggestions appreciated.

Do we need to have a breathalyzer in the car too? Think i read that somewhere.

All comments appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Ferry: Cork to Roscoff.. Google maps state 525km, 5:37 hrs travel time. Has any one done that trip and is this a realistic time?
    Will need at least two stops based on this for our 20 month old - suggestions appreciated.

Do we need to have a breathalyzer in the car too? Think i read that somewhere.

All comments appreciated.

That's in st jean du monts, that's an easy trip, you get off the ferry at 7am if not earlier you'll be in st john du mont for lunch time.. Done... no need for an over night. Don't know your child but I found mine to sleep most of the way because you are up so early. You would be mad to split the journey

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Oh yeah you'll need spare bulbs, hi-viz jackets for all the people in the car and the breathalyser as well. You can pick up the breathalyser on the ferry around 5-6 euro and I'm presuming a warning triangle. These need to be accessible easily if you are stopped, I've been to France for the last 7 years and never stopped though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

you dont need a breathalyser

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Oh sorry i wasn't clear. We just need to make a few quick stops to eat & feed himself, so just wondering if there were any recommendations. We do plan in going straight to the camp site.

Also googled st Jean du mount, this seems sorter by a few km, but take it thats a straight forward journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Corcaigh23

Hi , have had a change of plans so unfortunately can't go to the euro 2016 anymore but I have a ferry one way booked with Brittany ferries ,from cork to Roscoff for two people costing €184.50 overall .It leaves cork on Saturday June 11th @ 4pm and arrives in Roscoff on Sunday morning @ 7am. Just wondering would anyone like to take the booking ? It doesn't cost anything to amend the names on the booking online.

kindalen wrote: »
    you dont need a breathalyser

Yeah I thought that they changed the rules alright but I wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Oh sorry i wasn't clear. We just need to make a few quick stops to eat & feed himself, so just wondering if there were any recommendations. We do plan in going straight to the camp site.

Also googled st Jean du mount, this seems sorter by a few km, but take it thats a straight forward journey.

Maybe check the exact address of your campsite, if you put 'Camping l’Orée du Bois' into google maps , its showing further south beyond la rochelle? if it is, you probably wont be going to st jean de monts.

you'll come across plenty of Mc Donalds on the way,say what you will about the food, but you cant argue with their facilities. I assume you'll be using GPS, but the main road heads towards rennes / nantes

its pretty much main road all the way so you'll have ample places to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    you'll come across plenty of Mc Donalds on the way,say what you will about the food, but you cant argue with their facilities. I assume you'll be using GPS, but the main road heads towards rennes / nantes

its pretty much main road all the way so you'll have ample places to stop.
    +1 on mc donalds .

they have indoor and outdoor playrooms, clean and free toilets and standardised menus so its number 1 choice for us when on a road trip.

Even late at night when the kids are in a coma, its still useful for a quick visit to the (clean!) toilet and a cheap and drinkable coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Another great thing about McDonalds in France is they almost all have the self-service screens for ordering so you can switch it to English and make your order there! We always took a pit-stop at a McDonalds for hassle free ordering, free wifi and the playground climbing frames to let the kids stretch the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah the self service thing is brillant.

The play grounds are more suited to 4 years and up though.

Some good petrol stations too with a picnic are in the back.

Would recommend dvd players in the car for the kids, water bottles also and some snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Another great thing about McDonalds in France is they almost all have the self-service screens for ordering so you can switch it to English and make your order there!

A little warning they don't offer everything on the English menu on the screens. Last summer they had an offer of free DVD movies with happy meals, it wasn't displayed on the english menu, I had to use my school French to receive our free Smurfs DVD which was useful on the ferry! They have an app, which does translate into english which does list everything, I think you can even order from it, but I didn't try!

French service stations are generally excellent, we stop there for coffee. They also have excellent sandwiches and salads, though that may not suit the little ones. We try to avoid McDonalds, while the kids love them, we adults don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,929 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

manshay wrote: »
    A little warning they don't offer everything on the English menu on the screens. Last summer they had an offer of free DVD movies with happy meals, it wasn't displayed on the english menu, I had to use my school French to receive our free Smurfs DVD which was useful on the ferry! They have an app, which does translate into english which does list everything, I think you can even order from it, but I didn't try!

Little tip: Quarter pounder is Royale, and Big Mac is Le Big Mac. Don't ask me about Burger King though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

loyatemu wrote: »
    Little tip: Quarter pounder is Royale, and Big Mac is Le Big Mac. Don't ask me about Burger King though.

You generally get a good response if you just say "english muthaf*cka? do you speak it?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,929 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You generally get a good response if you just say "english muthaf*cka? do you speak it?" :)

How do you say "now that is a tasty burger!" in French?

(this is going way off topic :))

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Pulled up to Mcdonalds Carentan on the way to Cherbourg a couple of times and its like being in an Irish car park with all the Irl reg cars. Always great to meet other families telling where abouts they stayed and how their hols went.Really love the whole ferry experience, 7 weeks to la sirene cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I have done that run few times and you can of course do it in less, but why?

If you arrive on a Sunday (which I think you do with Brittany) be aware that most supermarkets are either closed or only open in the AM. So bring a first days meal. We usually pack some frozen milk, lasagne or some pasta. Of course up can always go out, but we have found after the day's drive you just want kick off your shoes and veg out.

+1 on the Mc'Ds, say what you like, but they are always open, clean and convenient.

Ironically the quietest time on the motorways is during the lunch hours, when the other traffic is off the roads.

When looking for somewhere to eat, keep an eye out for http://www.relais-routiers.com/. They are local restaurants that do food for travellers, they normally have a set special, €10-13 with wine etc, are very quick to have you back on the road if that is your need and have plenty of parking. Some may look a bit tired, but providing good food is their thing.

You will love St. Jean, a great run of beaches, the indoor pool is worth a visit on a wet day with small kids (mini-wave pool etc). Also look out for the thalasso pool (http://www.thalasso.com/). It is a very heated sea water pool and they have parent and child sessions. Mum can get a bit of pampering too.

The bridge over the Loire at Nantes or St Nazaire, depending how you drive is something to remember.

Try the hotel at La Gare Commequiers, for a day out, very easy going and they are keen enough on kids. Nice walk around the local castle and megalithic tombs.

BABYFOOD: Of course you can get it there or you may not use it at all, but we found that the formulations were not the same and our kids got very gassy? I would bring a few days worth. The same for the formula, if you are tied to a brand bring some along for the first few days anyhow.

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wally Runs wrote: »

BABYFOOD: Of course you can get it there or you may not use it at all, but we found that the formulations were not the same and our kids got very gassy? I would bring a few days worth. The same for the formula, if you are tied to a brand bring some along for the first few days anyhow.
    The French shops (smaller ones) aren't big fans of supplying fresh milk so be prepared for this also.

• Advertisement

Hey there!
    Anyone else going to the euros in a camper?
    If so do ye know of where to camp in or around Paris, Bordeaux and Lille?
    Strongly considering hiring a camper in Dusseldorf and driving to France for the couple of weeks to the cities for the group stage.
    Will there be plenty of places do ye reckon? Surely there will be more of these 'aires' opened up for the tournament as demand will be exceptionally high this year.
    Will the authorities be a bit more lenient on parking up on the street/ side of the road for the few weeks?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

cjmc11 wrote: »
    Hey there!
    Anyone else going to the euros in a camper?
    If so do ye know of where to camp in or around Paris, Bordeaux and Lille?
    Strongly considering hiring a camper in Dusseldorf and driving to France for the couple of weeks to the cities for the group stage.
    Will there be plenty of places do ye reckon? Surely there will be more of these 'aires' opened up for the tournament as demand will be exceptionally high this year.
    Will the authorities be a bit more lenient on parking up on the street/ side of the road for the few weeks?
    Thanks

Security will be at a max, so can't see street side parking happening

Security will be at a max, so can't see street side parking happening

Cheers
    Anyone have experience with camping in or around these cities, especially Paris?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Had spent several weeks at the start of the year looking at campervan and Bordeaux for a week and after sourcing cheapest flights with proximity to van rentals, calculating mileage and tolls etc I was unable to secure a site in Bordeaux willing to take bookings as they have their regular patrons to accommodate, my wife is from that region and she personally called all the sites but to no avail. Airbnb is a decent option for Bordeaux given its transport system, most gaffs available on tram lines.

Had spent several weeks at the start of the year looking at campervan and Bordeaux for a week and after sourcing cheapest flights with proximity to van rentals, calculating mileage and tolls etc I was unable to secure a site in Bordeaux willing to take bookings as they have their regular patrons to accommodate, my wife is from that region and she personally called all the sites but to no avail. Airbnb is a decent option for Bordeaux given its transport system, most gaffs available on tram lines.
    Ya I'm currently looking at just flying to France, renting a car for the 2 weeks and just using airbnb for accommodation as a camper is quiet expensive to hire and,there doesn't seem to be any easy option of using it in or around the cities, current plan as it stands is, fly to Paris, stay in airbnb flat for 3 to 4 nights, rent a car and head for Bordeaux, maybe stay a night or 2 along the way before getting to Bordeaux, stay there for 3- 4 more nights and then head north again for lille via a different route, maybe west coast, staying in Lille for 3-4 more nights and then heading back to Paris the day we fly home.
    I know we won't have the same freedom as the camper, but the cost of the thing and then maybe not being able to use it for up to 2/3 of the journey I think would make it unfeasible.
    What's peoples opinion on airbnb for getting around France?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

What's peoples opinion on airbnb for getting around France?
    Thanks

Have you priced accommodation in France during the Euro's on Airbnb? I'd say it'll be mental expensive +/- 5 days either side of matches.

Have you priced accommodation in France during the Euro's on Airbnb? I'd say it'll be mental expensive +/- 5 days either side of matches.

Yup have been looking alright, prices are good for aound them dates, nothing out of the ordinary, was expecting them to be mental as well, but alot of places seem reasonable enough, not looking for anything fancy, have been talking to a few hosts in the 3 cities and they know what days I'm looking for and why I'm looking for those dates, been no mention of price increase.
    Have you had any experience of airbnb in France, good or bad? I suppose once I use hosts with good reviews and pay through the airbnb wesite their should be no problem.

Have you had any experience of airbnb in France, good or bad? I suppose once I use hosts with good reviews and pay through the airbnb wesite their should be no problem.

No, not in France. Used Airbnb for the RWC in Cardiff last year and it went very well. Very nice house, good landlady and great value.

No, not in France. Used Airbnb for the RWC in Cardiff last year and it went very well. Very nice house, good landlady and great value.

Cheers that sounds great, there's a big variation in prices on airbnb, but even the lower cost ones look really good, we're only looking for a place to sleep and shower anyways as we'll be out and about everyday because we wont be staying in any one city for too long.
    Out of interest how much was your rent in Cardiff and what sort of accommodation was it?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Cheers that sounds great, there's a big variation in prices on airbnb, but even the lower cost ones look really good, we're only looking for a place to sleep and shower anyways as we'll be out and about everyday because we wont be staying in any one city for too long.
    Out of interest how much was your rent in Cardiff and what sort of accommodation was it?
    Thanks

Ah we got a golden deal. There were six of us and it was late in the day when we started looking so all hotels within 40 miles were booked and/or charging literally hundreds of Pounds per person per night. One of the lads checked Airbnb on spec and literally 30 minutes earlier a woman had put her newly renovated house up on Airbnb in the middle of the city, literally 10 minutes taxi to the stadium and she hadn't priced in the RWC so we booked it for the three nights we were there (for the French match) and it cost us less than €100 a head for the three nights. I think it was £125 a night and it turned out to be a bloody palace. 5 doube/twin bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. We each had a bog which was much apreciated after a feed of pints and a curry each night :D Two of us had to split a twin room and the rest had doubles to themselves. It was mega sweet.

Mind you, I've had the total opposite over the years following Jack's army round the place but that would be getting us seriously off thread :p

Advertisement