Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Have never gone with Irish Ferries before.
    Does the price change during the year or when is the best time to book?

i.e. do they do 'Black Friday' deals or do they do sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Also out today, Ryanair are now doing flights to Verona from Dublin (Tue, Thurs, Sat) which would suit anyone heading to campsites by lake Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

SusanC10 wrote: »

Sailings on Saturdays seem to be half an hour faster than sailings on other days! Has this always been the case?

Wonder why. Fewer ship movements in Cherbourg on Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

frash wrote: »
    Have never gone with Irish Ferries before.
    Does the price change during the year or when is the best time to book?

i.e. do they do 'Black Friday' deals or do they do sales?

They usually do early booking offers....book before say early Feb ( can't remember exactly). Generally no other sales but they"repack" seasonal reductions as specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Connemara hasn't arrived in to Cork from Roscoff this morning. Watching nervously from Santander where we are due to pick it up tomorrow. Anyone heard anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

vienne86 wrote: »
    Connemara hasn't arrived in to Cork from Roscoff this morning. Watching nervously from Santander where we are due to pick it up tomorrow. Anyone heard anything?

It is en-route to Cork. Do a google search for "ais connemara" click on one of the results and you can see a live-"ish" location of the vessel

manshay wrote: »
    It is en-route to Cork. Do a google search for "ais connemara" click on one of the results and you can see a live-"ish" location of the vessel

I've been watching it since it left Roscoff. Just wondering why it's so late. Left at 2 a.m.. and only did 12 knots for first half of journey. It was due to leave Cork again for Santander at 11 a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There must be rough weather around. Irish Ferries departure from Cherbourg this evening is delayed by 4 hours due to weather.

Well the sailing from Santander tomorrow is cancelled and our only option was to go Roscoff to Cork on Friday. I didn't fancy that drive in two days so we'll take the refund and take the WBYEATS on Sunday. Saves the drive from Cork to Dublin and we get to use the voucher for 150 euro we got from IF for last year's mess. We have tomorrow night's accommodation sorted and will have a little break in Normandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote:
    Well the sailing from Santander tomorrow is cancelled and our only option was to go Roscoff to Cork on Friday. I didn't fancy that drive in two days so we'll take the refund and take the WBYEATS on Sunday. Saves the drive from Cork to Dublin and we get to use the voucher for 150 euro we got from IF for last year's mess. We have tomorrow night's accommodation sorted and will have a little break in Normandy.

Decent outcome but monitor the Irish Ferries website and message line. WBY running about 5 hours late today but they might make some of that up by Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well the sailing from Santander tomorrow is cancelled

It's in for repairs apparently. Mr. CL was due to go out tomorrow night on it but Victor Tracy's rang to say it is in for repairs & now he has to landbridge through the UK and go from Portsmouth :(

Luckily I had given him the heads up from this thread so he was prepared for it - thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Just booked Stena Rosslare - Cherbourg return in July next year. Flexi Fare (100% refund if better options / prices come along) for a car >2m tall + 2 adults + 1 kid + 4 berth outside cabin each way = €1,300. Paid 10% now with balance due in May.

Would prefer to go out IF on the WBL from Dublin and back via Roscoff so will see what options and fares etc become available. €1,300 is at the top end of what I've ever paid for similar itinerary and dates in the past. Would like to see a few deals come along I can switch to but at least we're booked and have something solid to look forward to as winter approaches :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

54and56 wrote: »
    Just booked Stena Rosslare - Cherbourg return in July next year. Flexi Fare (100% refund if better options / prices come along) for a car >2m tall + 2 adults + 1 kid + 4 berth outside cabin each way = €1,300. Paid 10% now with balance due in May.

Would prefer to go out IF on the WBL from Dublin and back via Roscoff so will see what options and fares etc become available. €1,300 is at the top end of what I've ever paid for similar itinerary and dates in the past. Would like to see a few deals come along I can switch to but at least we're booked and have something solid to look forward to as winter approaches :P

Prices just seem to be on the rise every year. When we started going to France we used to be able to get the ferry for a car and 3 for around 600 in June, it was 1000 this year. IF usually have a sale around Nov when they knock a few % off the price.

Prices just seem to be on the rise every year. When we started going to France we used to be able to get the ferry for a car and 3 for around 600 in June, it was 1000 this year. IF usually have a sale around Nov when they knock a few % off the price.

I asked yesterday when was the best time to book IF
    Is there much of a discount in Nov?

Someone replied & said they do early booking discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

That is very expensive for Stena. Doesn't bode well for IF prices :(

Waffle wrote: »

Is Stena usually cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Waffle wrote: »

It is indeed very very expensive for Stena, never had to pay over €1000 in July for 5

frash wrote: »
    Is Stena usually cheaper?

In my experience "yes" as their boats, whilst very comfortable and more than adequate for our needs (2 Adults and 1 or 2 teenagers) are quite basic compared to Brittany Ferries Pont Aven (best ferry serving France IMHO), the old IF Oscar Wilde and I'm sure IF also see and are pitching their shiny new WBL as a "premium experience" also.

I'm not happy with the €1,300 price hence booking on a Flexi basis with just a 10% deposit so I can cancel and get a full refund if (hopefully when) better deals come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I just did a trial booking for early august, came in at 960 or so for a flexi booking, family of 4, 4 berth outside cabin. 1300 seems a bit high based on that.

I just did a trial booking for early august, came in at 960 or so for a flexi booking, family of 4, 4 berth outside cabin. 1300 seems a bit high based on that.

My dates are out Sat July 4th back Fri July 24th. Absolute peak season for the Ireland - France route I guess.

Only €130 committed and will get that back if I can find a better deal for the same dates.

• Advertisement

€1400 for me (2 adults + 4 kids) with Stena
    Out at the end of June & back mid July

Hopefully IF aren't too much dearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My dates are out Sat July 4th back Fri July 24th. Absolute peak season for the Ireland - France route I guess.

Only €130 committed and will get that back if I can find a better deal for the same dates.

Its funny, I've always found that as the ferry gets cheaper, the campsites get dearer, very hard to get a win-win deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Its funny, I've always found that as the ferry gets cheaper, the campsites get dearer, very hard to get a win-win deal.

Same with flying v campsite. It's a balancing act :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

medic112 wrote: »
    Arriving July 05th. Normally just roll with it but tickets for an event & b&b will be hard to arrange by mid Oct

Sorry, do you mean that in the next few weeks it will be a problem booking accommodation for next July?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Have actually FLEXI booked on Stena for Aug/July and got a price of €883

Rosslare/Cherbourg

• Out Thurs 30 July
    • Back Sun 16 August
    • Outside cabin for 4, big family car etc. They sent me a 15% off code.

Last year got it for about €700. They did an offer in November I think of 25% off. Will be keeping an eye out.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    It's in for repairs apparently. Mr. CL was due to go out tomorrow night on it but Victor Tracy's rang to say it is in for repairs & now he has to landbridge through the UK and go from Portsmouth :(

Luckily I had given him the heads up from this thread so he was prepared for it - thanks! :D

In for repairs? I think the storm suited Brittany Ferries rather well. When weather can be blamed, it's an insurance issue, but when there's a breakdown it seems to be the ferry company that carries the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Wow, Stena have upped their game.
    €1,445 to France....out late June, back mid July. 2 + 4 in 1 x 4 berth inside cabin.

I'll not be booking that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yeah, I'm seeing 1,140 for late June - late July.
    Landbridge again, sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ryanair fly to toulouse and marseille now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Ryanair fly to toulouse and marseille now.

Ryanair are also letting go between 500-700 staff

Advertisement