Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Le Pins Parasol is a great campsite- one hour away from puy du fou

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks I'll check that out for 2021 because unfortunately puy du fou is sold out for June and July already for next year.

Are Day Tickets sold out for 2020 ??
    When we were there a couple of years ago in July, we only bought the Tickets a couple of days beforehand !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

SusanC10 wrote: »
    When we were there a couple of years ago in July, we only bought the Tickets a couple of days beforehand !

I was looking at the 3 days and to stay there also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We've been to Point St Gilles in Benodet the last 2 years. Is ben great for us, but looking for an alternative this year. Partly because we'll be going into Cherbourg.
    One of the great benefits of Benodet was the ~2hr drive.
    Well have 2 kids; 3&5 and I think the limit of drive is about 4 hrs.

Point st Gilles has been pretty much perfect for is til now, it's nice and quiet, town is near and all very relaxed.
    Ideally we'd like beach, pool (heated of possible, the Benodet pool has always been a bit nippy for ours at start of June), kids club. The kids are to small to get the benefit of anything to elaborate like high wires and full entertainment schedules I hear of on some sites.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?
    From reading through, were kind of thinking carnac or there abouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

SusanC10 wrote: »

No you can still buy tickets at the entrance. The accommodation at the park sell out very fast , usually within a couple of days of going on sale. We stayed their one year and booked it around September for the following July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DavyD_83 wrote:
    Any suggestions would be appreciated? From reading through, were kind of thinking carnac or there abouts...

Is Carnac not at least as far from Cherbourg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Jpm123 wrote: »
    No you can still buy tickets at the entrance. The accommodation at the park sell out very fast , usually within a couple of days of going on sale. We stayed their one year and booked it around September for the following July

Ah - that makes sense !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Jpm123 wrote: »

All the campsites in the surrounding area sell tickets as well from reception.
    We bought from a nearby site where we stayed the night before, adult day ticket was €40 last year.
    The campsite have their name on the tickets.
    We stayed at Camping let rouge Gorge. Not very swish, and fairly crowded, exists solely as a feeder to Puy du Fou.
    Visited the next day, and parked in the Puy du Fou field.
    Then after the day in the park we came back to the camper for evening meal and a few beers, returning when darkness fell for the water ballet/fireworks show.
    About15 minutes walk, or wait for a shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

First Up wrote: »
    Is Carnac not at least as far from Cherbourg?

Hmm, pretty much. But hoping that we'd at least get slightly more reliable weather by covering a little distance southward rather than across to Finisterre, if that makes sense.
    I need to get the map and website out and whittle down the options really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

DavyD_83 wrote:
    Hmm, pretty much. But hoping that we'd at least get slightly more reliable weather by covering a little distance southward rather than across to Finisterre, if that makes sense. I need to get the map and website out and whittle down the options really.

I'd say the travel time is much the same but getting south of Finistere ia a valid reason!

• Advertisement

pmpa wrote: »
    For Puy du Fou, have a look at Domaine de Mélusine, we stayed there last year. Fantastic place to stay for Puy du Fou. Literally, a three minute drive there. Accommodation was spotless.

Hi, just wondering is one day enough to see Puy du fou or would I need more. Thinking about taking the advice on here of just going for the park tickets as the on site accommodation seems like a lottery.

Also in relation to Domaine De Melusine is it a fairly basic site or could you spend a week there?

And another question sorry about this, in relation to Le Littoral do they have a site kids club like yelloh or do the operators have their own individual ones and on the topic of individual operators, kelair want an extra €300 compared to le littoral directly, is there any advantages to booking with them?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You need two days if you plan to see all the shows.
    For example, impossible to do the Vikings and the Roman Colosseum the same day, as the times overlap.
    The WW1 trenches thing was good, as was the sea voyage expierence. The Colosseum is superb, as it the Knights/Joan d'Arc .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Not sure if it's been mentioned recently as I skimmed over the Puy du Fou discussion but Stena currently have a 25% Black Friday sale if you use the code SUPER25. There's a Ferry discount code thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055511542&page=13 that's worth keeping an eye on if you're doing the whole drive + ferry thing as we do.

I had already booked a one way Cherbourg - Rosslare for a car + 2 adults + 1 child + one 4 berth outside cabin on a Flexi Fare basis with Stena which cost €694. Thanks to @Chelle_C putting up the SUPER25 code I cancelled that (cancellation fee of €3) and used the code to rebook the exact same sailing for €586 but for the first time ever it offered me an option to part pay with loyalty points I'd built up over previous years which I did and ended up paying a net of €539 which puts €151 in my pocket. Happy days.

@Chelle_C will be toasted when we have a "free" family meal out during the holiday.

Now, if only I can find an Irish Ferries Black Friday deal that will allow me to do a similar trick for the outward Dublin - Cherbourg route :p

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the areas of Serignan, Gruissan and Valras (and their corresponding "Plage" beach areas)?
    Which would you consider the nicest area?
    Looking at Yelloh Serignan Plage but wondering if the other 2 areas might be nicer.
    Also not 100% sure whether or not to go with a campsite and just stick with a beach apartment rental instead as our kids are still very young (1 and 3).
    Thanks very much for any opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

gaillimh wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the areas of Serignan, Gruissan and Valras (and their corresponding "Plage" beach areas)?

Not familiar with Gruissan so can’t comment.

Serignan Plage, long sandy beach, is maybe a couple of kilometres away from the village of Serignan itself. There’s quite a big car park, tented restaurant on the beach & a few shops etc selling beach items, fruit, possibly other stuff, I can’t really remember now. Been a few times to the beach & restaurant but not in the last couple of years.
    Serignan itself has shops, banks, hairdressers, restaurants (one of which, L’Harmonie we quite enjoy), McDonalds, petrol station etc

Valras Plage isn’t that far from Serignan, probably a few kilometres. It’s got plenty of restaurants on a newly renovated “place”, a promenade, on the beach there’s play facilities, beach bar etc. Its a very popular summer resort, amongst the French also & usually does great July 14 fireworks! There’s karting nearby too plus all the ice cream & beach item shops you’d need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Eurocamp Black Friday sale is on. Up to 50% off for accomm stays in April or May only.
    Poor effort so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

40% group scheme discount should still be working for Eurocamp

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GeneralSherman

jay0109 wrote: »
    Eurocamp Black Friday sale is on. Up to 50% off for accomm stays in April or May only.
    Poor effort so far

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

fdevine wrote: »
    40% group scheme discount should still be working for Eurocamp

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

jay0109 wrote: »
    Poor effort so far

I done dates and June and they applied a reduction, didn't check cause the 1 wk (cause reduction didn't apply when u put 2 wks in) was the same as 2 wks with canvas, albeit a different location but same area.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Hi, just wondering is one day enough to see Puy du fou or would I need more. Thinking about taking the advice on here of just going for the park tickets as the on site accommodation seems like a lottery.

Also in relation to Domaine De Melusine is it a fairly basic site or could you spend a week there?

And another question sorry about this, in relation to Le Littoral do they have a site kids club like yelloh or do the operators have their own individual ones and on the topic of individual operators, kelair want an extra €300 compared to le littoral directly, is there any advantages to booking with them?

Thanks again

Hi,
    As other people have said, you will not get everything done in one day but you can still get a good few shows in! The most important thing is plan what you want to see. It is a huge park and shows could be 15 minutes away from each other. We were there for 3 days on July 6th this year. The queues were huge even then. I can send you a PM that I wrote to another Boardsie about what I taught of the shows if you like! What age are your kids? Our first time going there was a few years ago and went for the day and travelled from St. Jean du Mont. It is a very long day and you will walk miles so comfortable shoes, drinks, food, snacks are a must. It is quite dusty so I always advise older clothes and hats are a must if it's hot as there is a lot of queueing in the sun!

Domaine de melusine is a fantastic site for accommodation for Puy du Fou but I dont think I could spend a week there. We used it to sleep for the park really. The playground is very small and that's a bout it really, there is a restaurant onsite for burgers and pizzas etc. The Chalets are superb! The staff were very friendly. It's a new site and when we were there you could see that they are developing it everyday!

If you need any information on Puy du Fou let me know!
    Would love to be planning a French holiday for next year but after years of going to France we are thinking of venturing somewhere else!

pmpa wrote: »
    Hi,
    As other people have said, you will not get everything done in one day but you can still get a good few shows in! The most important thing is plan what you want to see. It is a huge park and shows could be 15 minutes away from each other. We were there for 3 days on July 6th this year. The queues were huge even then. I can send you a PM that I wrote to another Boardsie about what I taught of the shows if you like! What age are your kids? Our first time going there was a few years ago and went for the day and travelled from St. Jean du Mont. It is a very long day and you will walk miles so comfortable shoes, drinks, food, snacks are a must. It is quite dusty so I always advise older clothes and hats are a must if it's hot as there is a lot of queueing in the sun!

Domaine de melusine is a fantastic site for accommodation for Puy du Fou but I dont think I could spend a week there. We used it to sleep for the park really. The playground is very small and that's a bout it really, there is a restaurant onsite for burgers and pizzas etc. The Chalets are superb! The staff were very friendly. It's a new site and when we were there you could see that they are developing it everyday!

If you need any information on Puy du Fou let me know!
    Would love to be planning a French holiday for next year but after years of going to France we are thinking of venturing somewhere else!

Thanks very much I'd appreciate any other advice or tips. My kids at the time of visiting will be 2, 4 and 8.

I looked at Domaine De Melusine but for my dates it was fairly full and the price was reflecting that.
    I found another site nearby which had good reviews and also offered me the option to add puy du fou passes to my booking so I went with that and booked 4 nights and the 4 day pass including the night spectacular.
    The name of it is campsite la breteche.
    Really looking forward to it now and in the final stages of confirming the rest of the 32 day trip.
    Thanks again to this thread it's invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Thanks again

Hi - we stayed in Le Littoral in 2017 & 2016, was a YELLOH site then and they had their own kids clubs (which our kids really enjoyed) and I presume it's the same since Sandaya took it over. We booked direct, mobile was lovely and we requested the pedestrianised area which was great (stayed in same mobile both years as loved the location). The Kelair mobiles are together in the same area - they looked lovely too, I think one difference was that they had ovens, ours hadn't but not an issue for us. Loved the site but kids bit older now so we went to Le Lin Parasol last year, another lovely site but further from the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

LennieB wrote: »
    Hi - we stayed in Le Littoral in 2017 & 2016, was a YELLOH site then and they had their own kids clubs (which our kids really enjoyed) and I presume it's the same since Sandaya took it over.
    It was the same last year, with a few of the same leaders - Ivan still there with his ridiculous amounts of energy...

Very little changes really from Yelloh to Sandaya - they're both just franchises, so all the bar and restaurant staff were the same (mainly connected to the owners).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

what price do people usually pay per week for a mobile home or cabin in late june or early july?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

what price do people usually pay per week for a mobile home or cabin in late june or early july?

thanks

depends on the camp and type of mobile, but you'll see a big jump in price once you hit july.
    in general, I've paid between 800 and 1100 for the last two weeks of june for a 3 bed mobile.

thanks

Huge differences depending on location, provider, facilities etc.

Anything up to €1250 per week without some form of discount.

Discounts for repeat customers, early booking, group schemes etc. will usually give 5-40%

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

depends on the camp and type of mobile, but you'll see a big jump in price once you hit july.
    in general, I've paid between 800 and 1100 for the last two weeks of june for a 3 bed mobile.

Similar prices to stonedeaf the last 5/6 yrs, last yr was ridiculously cheap, €400 for 10days last wk in June, this yr were €900 ish for 3 bed mobile for 5 people, last 2 wks in June. Eurocamp have a sale on at the moment if u don't know op. Location, how popular site is, are all huge factors in price. Once u go into July, jump in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Just had a look at Eurocamp black Friday offers. Looks interesting until you click on the link for more details. Travel must be completed by 31/5/20 i.e. home by that date. Not exactly a great offer so. Kelair have no offers up so far either

Advertisement