Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

First Up wrote: »
    That'll be the Stena Horizon so. It isn't a luxury cruise ship by any means but there is a bit of space and I think a play area for kids. There might be a few staircases to negotiate.

Thanks. Yeah it looks rather basic. Ship out is perfect. Leaves at 4.30 so most of the time will be spent in bed. Ship back not so good. Doesn't Dock on rosslare until 3.30 so will have a good deal of time to pass on boat with 2 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

This will be our 3rd time to France with the kids. This time youngest will be 9 months upon travelling. Would you still recommend no buggy on ferry? Is it not very difficult with the baby? Maybe I’ll invest in a sturdier baby carrier. At the moment I only have the newborn wrap carrier.
    Edited to ask:
    Any tips from anyone for travelling on ferry/being on campsite with baby in general? Our other two are 5 and 7 so this will be our first time travelling with a baby in tow.

Re: buggy. We have had our 3 kids in buggies on the boat. Used our big bulky one the first yr(mistake) too big going around. Bought a light cheap one from lidl/aldi for boat and excursions. It's multi use, keeps them trapped :-) / controlled with so many people on board and stairs everywhere, plus it's stick it under ur arm or chair to get outta the way. We did bring the big one also for going around zoos or long walking days just for carrying stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Re: buggy. We have had our 3 kids in buggies on the boat. Used our big bulky one the first yr(mistake) too big going around. Bought a light cheap one from lidl/aldi for boat and excursions. It's multi use, keeps them trapped :-) / controlled with so many people on board and stairs everywhere, plus it's stick it under ur arm or chair to get outta the way. We did bring the big one also for going around zoos or long walking days just for carrying stuff etc.

Did exactly the same back in the day, was very effective for several years and indeed was kept in the boot of the car for times when traipsing around with the "big" buggy wasn't justified or planned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Adverts.ie always has loads of cheap second hand travel buggies for sale.
    Same for travel cots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Adverts.ie always has loads of cheap second hand travel buggies for sale.
    Same for travel cots

Not sure if anyone said this but the travel cots in Irish ferries are useless for toddlers. We travelled with a two and one year old- the one year old slept in our own travel cot (we brought on board for the two year old as it was large) and the two year old on a mattress on the floor. I wouldn’t bother booking the cots unless your baby is very small, they’re really tiny, smaller than average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Booked WB Years for August.
    Prices up on last year, I feel.
    Cheapest cabin now €130 odd euro each way.
    2 adults, 1 child and motorhome €921.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone said this but the travel cots in Irish ferries are useless for toddlers. We travelled with a two and one year old- the one year old slept in our own travel cot (we brought on board for the two year old as it was large) and the two year old on a mattress on the floor. I wouldn’t bother booking the cots unless your baby is very small, they’re really tiny, smaller than average

Cots on the yeats are alot smaller than before, our 1 yr old last yr just just stayed in the bed with me. But still tried her in it each way.

Prices have gone up this yr on IF, so this yr we are trying the fly & drive option. Not saving a whole lot due to my own F up, but having 2 days on site might make up the difference :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a lot more space on the car decks of the WBY and boarding/disembarking seems much better organised than on the OW, and there are lifts. So bringing a buggy may not be as difficult as it was on the old ship (disclaimer - we haven't needed a buggy for many years, this is just my impression based on last summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Booked WB Years for August.
    Prices up on last year, I feel.
    Cheapest cabin now €130 odd euro each way.
    2 adults, 1 child and motorhome €921.

Interesting. In around what dates are you travelling?
    What size motorhome

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a lot more space on the car decks of the WBY and boarding/disembarking seems much better organised than on the OW, and there are lifts. So bringing a buggy may not be as difficult as it was on the old ship (disclaimer - we haven't needed a buggy for many years, this is just my impression based on last summer).

We used buggy last yr on WBY and used it direct from car on the deck to the lift. Defo more room around cars to get to decks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Interesting. In around what dates are you travelling?
    What size motorhome

Out on 5th August, back on 20th.
    It's a 5 berth RollerTeam.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Hi,

Any help would be appreciated.
    We are going to France for just shy of 3 weeks from the beginning of June. Bringing a toddler who will just have turned 3,and a baby if 11 months. Wondering can anyone recommend a couple of suitable campsites? The furthest we will go south is probably about Lá Rochelle. Thanks for any help
    Also, are we crazy to be going in first week of June?
    If you're going as far south as La Rochelle, think about Ile de Ré. Some good deals to be had in June before the prices rocket in July. We stayed in Le Suroit campsite in Le Bois de Plage - great for small kids and close to the beach and the town. It's small and quiet but the pools (indoor and outdoor) are good, and the food in the onsite restaurant is nice. Weather can be variable in June - so bring waterproofs. Forget the car and rent bikes to get around - the little chariots attached to the bikes are perfect for smallies.

Only other advice that I'd give is to rent the biggest mobile home that you can - the space is always useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Back on the campsites for 2020, booked La Sirene again for mid july, price was a bit eye watering compared to travelling early June, but I'm happy to be taking holidays a bit later than usual this year. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with the restaurant / bar / theater area. It wasn't my intention to go back, but the year away, coupled with their renovations and the kids expressing a strong eagerness to go, managed to convince me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Booked La Paradis in the Dordogne for September. Been a few times beautiful spot. Good spin down but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Back on the campsites for 2020, booked La Sirene again for mid july, price was a bit eye watering compared to travelling early June, but I'm happy to be taking holidays a bit later than usual this year. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with the restaurant / bar / theater area. It wasn't my intention to go back, but the year away, coupled with their renovations and the kids expressing a strong eagerness to go, managed to convince me.

Yeah the jump for July is a bit of a shock for the first time. Actually Siblu reduced their prices this year when you booked on site last year, which was great. We aren't too far from La Sirene, close to Agade.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

redmissb wrote:
    Interested in replies also we are considering La Sirene for next year. We stayed in Les Brunelles this year and it'll be hard to beat for water slides.

frash wrote:
    Booked La Sirene for next Summer Will report back then

Hi, how did La Sirene go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

We went in 2016
    Great campsite with brilliant water park (the main attraction).
    Entertainment in the evenings was very good too.
    Food on site is pretty crap - just fast food type stuff.
    Local brick oven pizza restaurant was within walking distance and was good.
    Town was about a 5 min drive away with a market on some evenings
    Bit of a walk to the beach
    Supermarket on site was grand for the basics but there's a bigger one out of the town
    Nice few day trips possible to local towns if you have a car
    You can also use the facilities of the Hippo camp across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

It's taken 12+ years of convincing the OH but finally I just did it and booked the ferry mid August fir 2 weeks and we re finally France bound! I'd really appreciate some help on this as if its a flop it'll be back to the dismal airport boil in the bag Playa del Inglese holidays forever more! We have 3 kids, youngest girl is 9,followed by 2 active boys of 11 and 14. I'm reckoning the Vendée region is a safe-ish bet? I'd appreciate any suggestions for campsites catering for the slightly older kids with lots of activities and local attractions? Thanks in advance!

mrskinner wrote: »
    Try capfun.co.uk

Google something like vendee camping activity and see what turns up? Go to eurocamp.co.uk and see where their campings are. Are you renting a place while there?

Yes hoping to stay on site for the 12 days. Thank you, will have a look at above.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

It's taken 12+ years of convincing the OH but finally I just did it and booked the ferry mid August fir 2 weeks and we re finally France bound! I'd really appreciate some help on this as if its a flop it'll be back to the dismal airport boil in the bag Playa del Inglese holidays forever more! We have 3 kids, youngest girl is 9,followed by 2 active boys of 11 and 14. I'm reckoning the Vendée region is a safe-ish bet? I'd appreciate any suggestions for campsites catering for the slightly older kids with lots of activities and local attractions? Thanks in advance!

We love le pins parasol but our boys are young (5 and 7) but it's a great site. The pools and slides are fab and the new area is gorgeous (recommend staying there). less 'rural' sites popular in vendee include le littoral, clary plage etc. We are returning to le pins parasol for 3rd time. Being honest I'm ready for somewhere new but didn't have time to research and everything booking up for our dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say Le Littoral would be perfect for the 9 year old, but might be a struggle with the 11 year old, and especially the 14 year old. We're moving on after two years there as we felt our (at the time) 10 and 11 year old had just about outgrown Le Littoral. Great site, owners/ staff though. Le Pin Parasol was our Vendee pick, but trying somewhere further south instead.

Would recommend anywhere around St Jean de Mont and can personally recommend Le Bois Masson - http://www.siblu.ie/camping-le-bois-masson.

When my kids got a bit older we switched to La Reserve which is a much longer drive but is better set up for older teenagers i.e. 16+, see http://www.siblu.ie/camping-la-reserve/holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

We went to La Grand Metairie last year.

Looking for somewhere different this year but in that general area, around 4hrs from Cherbourg.

Our girl will be 3.5 years so maybe somewhere that allows that age into camps etc.

La Bois Masson above looks nice.

BullBauld wrote: »
    We went to La Grand Metairie last year.

Looking for somewhere different this year but in that general area, around 4hrs from Cherbourg.

Our girl will be 3.5 years so maybe somewhere that allows that age into camps etc.

La Bois Masson above looks nice.

We always enjoyed our holidays there and IIRC the kids camps, particularly for the younger ones, were very well run.

It's a busy site which often suits younger families (lot's of friends to be made) but if you're staying in Le Bois Masson you get access to Siblu's other site which is literally 150m across the road Les Bois Dormant. That's a less busy site with a more chill pool area, a nice escape for an afternoon and a change of scenery which can be good from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

MizMix wrote: »
    We love le pins parasol but our boys are young (5 and 7) but it's a great site. The pools and slides are fab and the new area is gorgeous (recommend staying there). less 'rural' sites popular in vendee include le littoral, clary plage etc. We are returning to le pins parasol for 3rd time. Being honest I'm ready for somewhere new but didn't have time to research and everything booking up for our dates.

With youger kids which side of Le Pin Parasol would be best the newer Nature area or the older Sensations area or does sit really matter ?

54and56 wrote: »
    Would recommend anywhere around St Jean de Mont and can personally recommend Le Bois Masson - http://www.siblu.ie/camping-le-bois-masson.

When my kids got a bit older we switched to La Reserve which is a much longer drive but is better set up for older teenagers i.e. 16+, see http://www.siblu.ie/camping-la-reserve/holidays

Have booked Le Bois Masson thank you kindly for all your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

bifl wrote: »
    With youger kids which side of Le Pin Parasol would be best the newer Nature area or the older Sensations area or does sit really matter ?

Def the newer area- it's just more peaceful and less packed. My kids loved the newer pool too and in the mornings only those staying in the new section can use it so it's really quiet. We enjoyed rotating our days between the two areas. The kids loved the slides in the other section and we'd often head down in the afternoon. Playgrounds in the newer section too. Plus it's just a nice walk to the old section where the kids clubs are.

Have booked Le Bois Masson thank you kindly for all your help guys

The general area around St Jean de Mont is very well set up for tourists and families in particular. I'll dig out some of our favourite things to do in the area and share with you over the next few days.

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    The general area around St Jean de Mont is very well set up for tourists and families in particular. I'll dig out some of our favourite things to do in the area and share with you over the next few days.

Thank you,greatly appreciated.

Advertisement