Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Thank you,greatly appreciated.

So, here are a few tips:-

There are two large supermarkets right beside each other less than a 5 minute drive from Le Bois Masson, Super U and Intermarche. You can get absolutely everything you need/want and more in these including petrol/diesel etc. Google maps link to Super U - https://goo.gl/maps/VRubpMSv69u3NW3x7 (Note: If you arrive Saturday evening and want to do a grocery shop Sunday do so first thing as supermarkets close at 12 and Sunday mornings can be very busy. The earlier you go the better.)

Bistro Balneair, super spot for simple but very good quality French food with excellent service and great ambience right on the sea front. This was my favourite place to have a long lazy lunch.

Plenty of restaurant options along that whole strip, too many to list. Just go ramble for yourself.

Explora Parc is a great place to spend a few hours. Bring a picnic and chill while the kids are off climbing or try some climbing yourself. https://g.page/ExploraParc?share

Atlantic Toboggan water park is good craic - https://goo.gl/maps/3ir48sd959nzVhAG7

If you're bringing bikes there are ton's of cycle lanes (many through forests) you can access from quite close to the entrance to Les Bois Masson and it's equally easy to cycle down to and along the beach front.

In addition to the above there are loads of other activities such as pony trekking, go karting, surf lessons etc you'll easily find out about or just come across as you explore the immediate area plus weekday markets.

Inland about 20 minutes by car there's a nice town called Challans which is worth a trip and just south of St Jean de Mont there's a port town called Saint Hilaire de Riez which is worth exploring also.

Last but not least is a recommendation to get your timing right and drive over Passage du Gois (https://goo.gl/maps/VtJfkpWrksie4XnKA) to Île de Noirmoutier. It's a super experience, you can stop half way and get out etc but don't leave it too late to finish the crossing as the road is completely submerged at high tide. If you arrive early enough you can see the road "emerge" as the last of the tide ebb's away and vice versa when you get to the other side. There's a permanent bridge at the southern tip of Île de Noirmoutier so don't worry about having to wait hours for the tide to go out again before you can return home. We would always combine crossing Passage du Gois with a day at Oceanile Water Park on Île de Noirmoutier (https://g.page/oceanileparcaquatique?share) and if we got the times right we could return via Passage du Gois on the way home also. Always a memorable day out.

They are the main things I can recall but it's been 4 years so I'm sure I've omitted some. Either way St Jean de Mont is a great area to explore. I'm sure you'll find plenty of your own favourites whilst there.

Oh and whilst I remember, the onsite restaurant in Les Bois Masson was actually very good, we'd usually end up eating there 2-3 times per week but I guess it's possible its under different management now, hopefully not. The on-site shop is/was a bit basic but it had the essentials and with 2 large supermarkets a few minutes away it was fine for croissants in the morning and some milk etc if needed.

Bon voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Booked WB Years for August.
    Prices up on last year, I feel.
    Cheapest cabin now €130 odd euro each way.
    2 adults, 1 child and motorhome €921.

I also feel that they have jacked up the prices. This will be my 6th year in a row going out mid july back mid august for usually less than €1100 (2 +4). Now they want €1416 and that's with a 10% early booking discount. So before the discount it's 30% dearer than last year.

The booking also highlights another price gouging issue of charging more for the same room depending on the number of occupants…. example 4 bed no window for 1 109, for 2 it's 129, for 3 it's 139 etc etc.

I thought the W.B. Yeats was only 3/4 full cabin wise during the peak last year. There are I think less cabins on WB Yeats than there were on the Oscar Wilde. It is a nice boat but I'm looking at alternatives if the prices stay up around 1400 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

davidoco wrote: »
    I also feel that they have jacked up the prices. This will be my 6th year in a row going out mid july back mid august for usually less than €1100 (2 +4). Now they want €1416 and that's with a 10% early booking discount. So before the discount it's 30% dearer than last year.

The booking also highlights another price gouging issue of charging more for the same room depending on the number of occupants…. example 4 bed no window for 1 109, for 2 it's 129, for 3 it's 139 etc etc.

I thought the W.B. Yeats was only 3/4 full cabin wise during the peak last year. There are I think less cabins on WB Yeats than there were on the Oscar Wilde. It is a nice boat but I'm looking at alternatives if the prices stay up around 1400 for me.

With landbridging becoming more awkward next year, and it still a relative unknown post-Brexit, I'm assuming it's market value that is driving up the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Quazzie wrote: »
    With landbridging becoming more awkward next year, and it still a relative unknown post-Brexit, I'm assuming it's market value that is driving up the cost.

And paying for their new ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

In case anyone is considering, Landbridge are quoting €540 Dublin + Eurotunnel.
    But if you book the ferry part today and depending on when you tunnel, it can work out cheaper. For us, €510.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The late June out, mid July back ferry cost I'm looking at have gone up 250e since last week! Now over 1,700e....very very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

jay0109 wrote: »
    The late June out, mid July back ferry cost I'm looking at have gone up 250e since last week! Now over 1,700e....very very expensive

I couldn't justify the ferry costs anymore, not when Its possible to fly and get a rental car for the same price or less, plus you effectively add 2 days onto your stay that you're not spending on the boat.

That being said, I did thoroughly enjoy the times we went by boat, but now that the kids are older, there's no real incentive for me to use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Yeah agree, we did fly drive last two times and really wanted to go by ferry this year but with the cost plus the time it takes we couldn't justify it. Family of 4 for 700euro last week June. One hour drive to campsite then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

josip wrote: »
    In case anyone is considering, Landbridge are quoting €540 Dublin + Eurotunnel.
    But if you book the ferry part today and depending on when you tunnel, it can work out cheaper. For us, €510.

That's a LOT of driving
    And you arrive very north in France.
    It's a long way to holiday campsites from there, especially on the west coast.

I would consider a landbridge route if bringing e.g. a campervan and heading for the alps for a few weeks

That's a LOT of driving And you arrive very north in France. It's a long way to holiday campsites from there, especially on the west coast.

Agreed. The drive across England (especially on the way back) takes most of the fun out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's a LOT of driving
    And you arrive very north in France.
    It's a long way to holiday campsites from there, especially on the west coast.

I would consider a landbridge route if bringing e.g. a campervan and heading for the alps for a few weeks
    First Up wrote: »
    Agreed. The drive across England (especially on the way back) takes most of the fun out of it

I agree it's not for everyone and depending on the holiday time available and kids ages it may not be feasible.

We usually try to do something in the UK on the way across eg. Legoland, Harry Potter Warner Brothers which changes that segment from a potential negative to a positive.

Plus, you can schedule your departure and return almost to the hour and invariably gain some extra days you wouldn't have when fitting in with the French ferry. We're usually on the boat within 2 hours of school finishing for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi,

I'm looking for either a stand for small Camper or even a cabin.
    End of August, La Rochelle Bordeaux area.
    We have a 4 year old so good big pool and playground required.
    Close to beach, within 3km.
    Restaurant and bar nearby or onsite.

I've been searching but may have missed the boat on cabins so Camper stands might do, if the Campsite was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Did anyone opt for Club Class on the WB Yeats Dublin Cherbourg route last year. Little or no information regarding what exactly is included. May vary by route/ship or whatever. Just curious to know in advance if anyone can assist. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

fdevine wrote: »
    Did anyone opt for Club Class on the WB Yeats Dublin Cherbourg route last year. Little or no information regarding what exactly is included. May vary by route/ship or whatever. Just curious to know in advance if anyone can assist. TIA

We did and found it to be good value. You get access to a quiet lounge, tea, coffee, soft drinks. Plenty of nibbly things... cheese & crackers, salmon & cream cheese blinis etc. Scones and muffins. In the morning lovely little pastries, little granola & yogurt pots. Fruit.
    We kept the cost of the cabin down by booking an inside cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I could see the benefits of flying if you're staying in the mobile homes. However, not really an option for us campers!
    MelachiT wrote: »
    You get access to a quiet lounge, tea, coffee, soft drinks.
    Talking to the stewards last year, the quiet bit can vary. The way out of our return was apparently quite rowdy, with the pints flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

MelachiT wrote: »
    We did and found it to be good value. You get access to a quiet lounge, tea, coffee, soft drinks. Plenty of nibbly things... cheese & crackers, salmon & cream cheese blinis etc. Scones and muffins. In the morning lovely little pastries, little granola & yogurt pots. Fruit.
    We kept the cost of the cabin down by booking an inside cabin.

Thanks. We did the same with the cabin - inside cabin but Club spec. At €20 extra p.p.e.w. it's decent value.

I had seen somewhere that wine was included but that may have been on the Oscar Wilde. There is a photo on the IF website also. I think alcohol in general may be subsidised/discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just to restate here where more might see it,
    Britanny ferries is moving the midweek "Economy" service from Cork to Roscoff to depart instead from Rosslare. The service to Spain similarily will depart from Rosslare, and the port there changed from Santander to Bilbao.

The cruise ship Pont aven (with multiple restaurants and spa and fancy rooms and swimming pool etc) still will run at weekends from Cork to Roscoff as it has done for 40 years.

The cruise ship Pont aven (with multiple restaurants and spa and fancy rooms and swimming pool etc) still will run at weekends from Cork to Roscoff as it has done for 40 years.

The Pont Aven is doing in for about 15 years. Val de Loire before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

fdevine wrote: »
    Thanks. We did the same with the cabin - inside cabin but Club spec. At €20 extra p.p.e.w. it's decent value.

I had seen somewhere that wine was included but that may have been on the Oscar Wilde. There is a photo on the IF website also. I think alcohol in general may be subsidised/discounted.

I found it fine, full of kids running around and by no means a quite haven. Alcohol was normal ship prices from what I remember. It may be very full next summer as they are selling packages for it. Wine is included on the Holyhead route usually in the lounge, and is usually less kids/holiday crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

What is the Brittany ferry to Spain like. ? How long is journey. Ty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

tmabr wrote: »
    What is the Brittany ferry to Spain like. ? How long is journey. Ty

I went Cork to Santander in September. 26.5 hours, so you need to bring your entertainment! Very nice crossing, basic ferry but comfortable enough and very nice crew. The return journey was cancelled because of a storm, and Brittany Ferries offered compensation plus return via Roscoff 48 hours later. We weren't up to driving 1200 Km to Roscoff in 48 hours, so just took our money back and went to Cherbourg a couple of days later. It has rather put me off the crossing to Spain, but if the weather was OK it would be fine - you would need to be staying for a good while to make it worthwhile IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Hi folks,
    After much consideration I've changed plans and going to Loire Valley (Saumur) for 2 weeks next summer.
    Any recommendations/interesting places to break the journey between there and Roscoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi, looking at doing a first ferry/drive to France this year (Dublin-Cherbourg), and have little to no idea of where to go. Will be going in an EV so wouldn’t want to be more than 3 hours from Cherbourg.

We found this place which looks quite decent, but have absolutely nothing to compare it to, has anyone ever been? Or could anyone recommend somewhere?

Domaine des Ormes Campsite
    https://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/brittany/bn013-domaine-des-ormes/daysout.html

Also, what sort of weather could we expect in Brittany in July/August? Seeing daily highs of only 21 degrees? surely it’d be a few more degrees at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hi, looking at doing a first ferry/drive to France this year (Dublin-Cherbourg), and have little to no idea of where to go. Will be going in an EV so wouldn’t want to be more than 3 hours from Cherbourg.

We found this place which looks quite decent, but have absolutely nothing to compare it to, has anyone ever been? Or could anyone recommend somewhere?

Domaine des Ormes Campsite
    https://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/brittany/bn013-domaine-des-ormes/daysout.html

Also, what sort of weather could we expect in Brittany in July/August? Seeing daily highs of only 21 degrees? surely it’d be a few more degrees at least?

It’s a fantastic site, plenty to do there and great facilities. They opened a new covered pool there last year which is great. You will surely enjoy it. Close to the ferry and plenty of places around it for daytrips ( St Malo, Mont ST. Michel etc) if your on Facebook, there is a great group for this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Has anybody got a good deal on ferry to France for this summer, hoping to head last weekend of june for a week but my gosh the ferry is expensive this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

michdee wrote: »
    Has anybody got a good deal on ferry to France for this summer, hoping to head last weekend of june for a week but my gosh the ferry is expensive this year!

August much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

What price are you being quoted, for what route, what departure and return dates and for what car/cabin/# of passengers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

We always go that week and we have found that this year has jumped I think by €600 compared to last yr.. (including discounts) flying this yr for 1st time (2A 3k)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MorganIRL wrote: »
    We always go that week and we have found that this year has jumped I think by €600 compared to last yr.. (including discounts) flying this yr for 1st time (2A 3k)

same here, looked at ferry price and thought might as well fly and go a bit further afield. Also as the kids are older, the ferry is no longer "part of the holiday", more of a dull waste of 2 days (though we'll miss being able to bring back a bootload of wine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

On flying.. I have noticed last week that the flight times had changed since I booked them, originally weren't arriving till late at night so we were gonna stay at a hotel at airport and pick up hire car in the morning and then travel to resort. But now we're arriving earlier and considered changing arrival date at resort, and then checked today again and spotted return flight has changed since the weekend... My question (eventually) is do flight times change alot and when do they settle down?

Advertisement