Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d be interested to know how things might play out if there is even sprinklings of Coronavirus people in France or Ireland. I wouldn’t want to be stuck on that ferry for a few weeks if somebody started showing symptoms over night.

I’ve discussed this with my wife and we will play it by ear. I’ve booked return journey already in June but it does cross my mind.
    Yeah this has just started to cross my mind today. A case in Italy now. That’s not too far from France. This terrifies me as it’s those with asthma who are most at risk and my daughter has asthma. June and July are far enough away for this corona virus to really spread a lot more into Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Would irish ferries have to pay back monies paid if coronavirus stops travel or would it be seen as an act of nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

michdee wrote: »
    I've thought about this coronavirus possibility too. It actually scares me thinking about it! I'm really debating about staying put some days, but then I think of how nice France would be with the kids :rolleyes:
    Just wondering if any of you have done club class on the ferry with young kids? Is it worth it or do you feel out of place with kids being there! Now mine wouldn't be the type to sit still for too long!;)

The summer will kill the virus off, I would say

amor3 wrote: »
    Would irish ferries have to pay back monies paid if coronavirus stops travel or would it be seen as an act of nature?

Unless Irish Ferries are told now to operate, they will operate. Campsites might not open though, so you will lose the ferry cost.

For example Tokyo marathon got cancelled. No refund for the marathon and airlines and hotels would not pay out as were still open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are due to go to Bella Italia (and Tuscany) in June - flying into and home from Verona which is in the Veneto Region. (We normally go on the Ferry to France).

We booked everything in 2019 and had Travel Insurance at the time of booking.
    Aer Lingus and Eurocamp are the providers.

Wondering theoretically what the position of Travel Insurance would be if Travel Advisory still in place then ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are due to go to Bella Italia (and Tuscany) in June - flying into and home from Verona which is in the Veneto Region. (We normally go on the Ferry to France).

Wondering theoretically what the position of Travel Insurance would be if Travel Advisory still in place then ??

I'm no expert but I recall hearing a travel advisor emphasising that you need to have your travel insurance in place before you make your flight / ferry / accommodation booking.

If you book your holiday, then take out travel insurance and subsequently something happens (Covid-19 virus travel restriction, volcanic ash eruption, wildfires etc) which makes you miss some or all of your holiday your travel insurance policy won't pay out as it won't cover something you booked before it was taken out.

I'm open to correction on this.

54and56 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I recall hearing a travel advisor emphasising that you need to have your travel insurance in place before you make your flight / ferry / accommodation booking.

If you book your holiday, then take out travel insurance and subsequently something happens (Covid-19 virus travel restriction, volcanic ash eruption, wildfires etc) which makes you miss some or all of your holiday your travel insurance policy won't pay out as it won't cover something you booked before it was taken out.

I'm open to correction on this.

We have an Annual Multi-Trip Policy which we renew every March. So we had a Policy in place when we booked the Trip but it will be renewed before we actually take the trip iykwim ?

We have an Annual Multi-Trip Policy which we renew every March. So we had a Policy in place when we booked the Trip but it will be renewed before we actually take the trip iykwim ?

Likewise and in those circumstances the cover is considered to be continuous from one policy term through to the next.

Likewise and in those circumstances the cover is considered to be continuous from one policy term through to the next.

Good to know.
    Tried calling VHI there now but they have a call-back in place so I will get a call back in the next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As I understand it, if the Dept. of Foreign Affairs issues a "do not travel" advisory notice, and you visit the affected region anyway, your travel insurance is void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 PurpleBoxHero

Any additions please? I am looking at a rental on campsites in South Brittany and Vendée regions. My criteria is an indoor pool with slide(s) and within 1km to beach. We stayed in Le Littoral last year so want to try something new this year. Kids are 4 and 5 this year. I have it narrowed it to Camping Les Dunes, Camping Les Genets and Sunelia le Fief. Am I missing any others and/or would anyone have feedback on any site mentioned. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

For kids that age, I'd give Sol a GoGo a look. Not that many slides but indoor pool and right on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any additions please? I am looking at a rental on campsites in South Brittany and Vendregions. My criteria is an indoor pool with slide(s) and within 1km to beach. We stayed in Le Littoral last year so want to try something new this year. Kids are 4 and 5 this year. I have it narrowed it to Camping Les Dunes, Camping Les Genets and Sunelia le Fief. Am I missing any others and/or would anyone have feedback on any site mentioned. TIA.

Camping Atlantic Fuesnant.
    Been a few times and always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Was about to book ferry to France but holding off to see how this corona virus plays out over the next few weeks.
    Anyone else? Or is it just me over reacting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

tmabr wrote: »
    Was about to book ferry to France but holding off to see how this corona virus plays out over the next few weeks.
    Anyone else? Or is it just me over reacting

Yeah, we were almost going to pull the trigger this week and book.

Not so sure now. The thing is going to end up being massive, and very few places will be left unexposed..

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Booked a few days before departure last year so not too worried about prices. They don’t fluctuate like the airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wouldn't book yet, but that's because with any luck prices might drop due to the Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

No child has yet died from this virus, and the most susceptible group are OAP's over 80, and men in their 60's who are smokers.
    Basically the people at risk from the flu every winter.
    As long as it doesn't mutate in some unexpected way it should peter out.
    140 people have died in Ireland of the regular flu since January 1st, but there's no mention of that in the media....

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No child has yet died from this virus, and the most susceptible group are OAP's over 80, and men in their 60's who are smokers.
    Basically the people at risk from the flu every winter.
    As long as it doesn't mutate in some unexpected way it should peter out.
    140 people have died in Ireland of the regular flu since January 1st, but there's no mention of that in the media....

But you are trusting China on their numbers. The older generation are more at risk but also anyone with any underlying health illness including children.

Give it a few months and it be gone with the warmer weather or it will mutate and come back stronger next year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

But you are trusting China on their numbers. The older generation are more at risk but also anyone with any underlying health illness including children.

Give it a few months and it be gone with the warmer weather or it will mutate and come back stronger next year!!!

Yeah, my youngest who is nearly 2, was born extremely premature at 25 weeks so will always have fragile lungs, I for 1 will not risk it if things escalate further, but saying that, it's a long way away for me, going in July, so it's just a wait and see approach right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Quazzie wrote: »
    I wouldn't book yet, but that's because with any luck prices might drop due to the Coronavirus

Prices are up by €300 v's last time I checked 3 wks ago. That's for sailing end June and returning mid July.
    Nearly 2k now. Mad stuff:mad:

jay0109 wrote: »
    Prices are up by €300 v's last time I checked 3 wks ago. That's for sailing end June and returning mid July.
    Nearly 2k now. Mad stuff:mad:

Paradoxically perhaps there is a whole cohort of people who normally do a 2 week fly package to Spain/Greece/Turkey etc who now think a ferry to France is a lower risk/safer option this summer than flying and as the ferry's have a very finite number of spaces good old supply and demand dynamic pricing is kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

Rosslare-Bilbao opened today with Rosslare-Roscoff to follow soon.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2020/0228/1118193-rosslare-bilboa-ferry/

For anyone with a Kindle (or the free Kindle app) and an interest in French lifestyle and food etc this memoir of a hungry Irishman might be an interesting book to buy and is currently reduced from it's RRP of £15.99 to £1.99 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakfast-Burgundy-Hungry-Irishman-France-ebook/dp/B07MF37ZV4?_bbid=14212116&tag=bookbubemail-21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

For anyone with a Kindle (or the free Kindle app) and an interest in French lifestyle and food etc this memoir of a hungry Irishman might be an interesting book to buy and is currently reduced from it's RRP of £15.99 to £1.99 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakfast-Burgundy-Hungry-Irishman-France-ebook/dp/B07MF37ZV4?_bbid=14212116&tag=bookbubemail-21

I'm getting "not currently available for purchase"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

fdevine wrote: »
    I'm getting "not currently available for purchase"

It was over a tenner for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Quazzie wrote: »
    It was over a tenner for me

Yeah, changed my region and it comes up £10+, then changed region again and came up at GBP1.60

fdevine wrote: »
    Yeah, changed my region and it comes up £10+, then changed region again and came up at GBP1.60

Screenshot I took a few minutes ago shows it still available for £1.99 but that may just be for customers deemed to be living in the UK.

175968Book1583157749.png

Amazon is always a game of cat and mouse. Although I live in Dublin I'm registered with Amazon as living in the UK (using my Parcel Wizard address) as I wanted to get UK Amazon Prime content (particularly their Premier League matches) with my Amazon Prime subscription.

I called their helpdesk and told them I was a Brexit orphan in that I lived in the UK (Co Antrim) but worked in the ROI, was paid in Euro and therefore had an ROI rather than UK bank account as in addition to a bona fide UK post code address they want proof of a UK bank account or credit card in order to register you as being a UK based customer. Not sure the person on the helpdesk knew what to do with me so the best way to get rid of me was to manually change my status to being a UK resident :p

FYI I use https://www.bookbub.com to register the types of Kindle books I'm interested in and get a daily email listing 3-4 books which meet my criteria and are on flash sale, that's how I found out about this book. Authors frequently drop prices to generate new interest in books already published and/or to increase the number of readers who might then pay full price for a new book they are scheduled to launch in a few weeks.

I find it a great inexpensive way to build up a reading list on my Kindle which always comes in handy during our annual French holiday. (see how I got the post back on topic there just at the end :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Music Box

Hi All holiday makers and campers. Anyone got any info on the new Brittany Ferries route Rosslare Bilbao. The new ship MV Kerry. Whats she like. Whsts the crossing like. It looks like a bit of a haul (approx 30 hours) compared to the French ports. Any info would be a great help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

According to the local newspaper here in Wexford, who got a tour of the boat, it's a "no frills" service which is aimed squarely at freight and truckers. A small self-service restaurant, a small bar, and no mention of any other facilities apart from the cabins and some recliner seats.

Don't think I'd fancy 28 to 30 hours on it myself. And I speak as somebody who has no issue at all in spending 18 hours or so on the Stena boat to Cherbourg, that some people here think is too basic.

Advertisement