Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Flights paid for and only deposit for site. Similar to someone else, just hoping all my crew get through and if we have to leave it so be it.. if anything it'll make hols cheaper next year... #toosoon

Early July ferry and campsite fully paid for. Have annual travel insurance for the family so if there's a ban on travel I'll claim. If not we'll go.

Either way it's a minor problem compared to the misery which may be inflicted on a lot of families if this virus impacts the way some are forecasting.

I'd happily give up the cost of the holiday if it guaranteed none of my family were badly affected but life doesn't work that way unfortunately.

All any of us can do is try our best to avoid catching the virus in the first place and of we do then do our best to get through it without passing it on to anyone else.

Fingers crossed we're planning for the worst but the reality will be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you have travel insurance double-check you're covered for "travel disruption".

On Multitrip.com at least, it is an add-on (that more than doubles the cost). But you can add it on now and you'll be covered after a 7 day wait-period.

I sort of expect this to have died down by July, but our easter trip is probably a write-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

loyatemu wrote: »
    If you have travel insurance double-check you're covered for "travel disruption".

On Multitrip.com at least, it is an add-on (that more than doubles the cost). But you can add it on now and you'll be covered after a 7 day wait-period.

I sort of expect this to have died down by July, but our easter trip is probably a write-off.

does that cover pandemics?

my Allianz policy has travel diruption but excludes epidemics/pandemics

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    does that cover pandemics?

my Allianz policy has travel diruption but excludes epidemics/pandemics

doesn't seem to be excluded - they have notices on their website telling customers they are covered if they buy the extra cover (though it's based on the idea of the govt advising against travel to an area; no mention of Ireland being locked down).

https://www.blueinsurance.ie/common/1587_MultiTrip_CoronaVirus_FAQ.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

We’re due to go to Cherbourg on the WBY for Easter. Both Irish ferries and euro camp saying they’ll follow DFA advice I.e. only if their advice is not to travel to France we’ll get a full refund.

Looking at Normandy; relatively small number of cases last time I checked compared to the rest of France so key question for me is whether we’re anymore at risk travelling to Notmandy in April then we are staying in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

doesn't seem to be excluded - they have notices on their website telling customers they are covered if they buy the extra cover (though it's based on the idea of the govt advising against travel to an area; no mention of Ireland being locked down).

https://www.blueinsurance.ie/common/1587_MultiTrip_CoronaVirus_FAQ.pdf

Just reading that, am I right in thinking they will only pay out if there is travel restrictions put in place by a country. And if that was the case, am I incorrect here, you can surely claim off your holiday provider i.e. Ryanair or eurocamp. And you won't need the extra travel insurance..#feelingconfused

We’re due to go to Cherbourg on the WBY for Easter. Both Irish ferries and euro camp saying they’ll follow DFA advice I.e. only if their advice is not to travel to France we’ll get a full refund.

Looking at Normandy; relatively small number of cases last time I checked compared to the rest of France so key question for me is whether we’re anymore at risk travelling to Notmandy in April then we are staying in Ireland!

jaysus - there were 11 cases in normandy on monday or tuesday and it's up to 54 now...all of France looks bad.

refund or not, unless there's a dramatic improvement i can't see us going.

jaysus - there were 11 cases in normandy on monday or tuesday and it's up to 54 now...all of France looks bad.

refund or not, unless there's a dramatic improvement i can't see us going.

It's a very infectious flu. Most healthy people who catch it will suffer mild symptoms.

If you have a healthy family why wouldn't you take your holiday to France especially if the risk of catching Covid-19 there isn't significantly higher than here?

54and56 wrote: »
    It's a very infectious flu. Most healthy people who catch it will suffer mild symptoms.

If you have a healthy family why wouldn't you take your holiday to France especially if the risk of catching Covid-19 there isn't significantly higher than here?

did you sleep through yesterday? Everywhere in Europe is going to be on lockdown by the end of next week. It is super infectious and the only way to slow down the spread is for people to stop moving around and randomly mingling with each other. The chances of this being all blown over by Easter are nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Because the healthy family could be carriers and then pass it on to not so healthy local old folk for example!

• Advertisement

that was certainly my outlook a few days ago but as the situation develops I think it's harder to see us going.

Generally speaking, i think non-essential travel should be curtailed so it would be a bit hypocritical of me if i went on a holiday!

Also, i actually think going to France would be higher risk just looking at the numbers there now. But even if we were not at higher risk, I'd still rather one of us gets sick at home rather than abroad.

We're lucky to have a mobile home on the wicklow coast, so that might be as far as we go for Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Booked with Eurocamp to stay in Domaine des Ormes during June. Balance of payment is due before Sunday.

Their Covid 19 web page basically says re-arrangement or refunds may apply based on DFA advice. There are four levels of DFA advice for travel. Top one is "Do not travel" so situation would be clearcut if that applies. However, next one down just says "avoid non-essential travel". I know a holiday is not essential but on the other hand, it's not saying "do not travel", so wondering how things would work then?

FWIW, advice for France currently is at level 2 - "High degree of caution" - https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/

EDIT - actually see now on the same Eurocamp page that they say if advice is "avoid non-essential travel" two weeks out from your holiday, they'll contact you to discuss options, which can include a full refund if suitable alternative dates or destination can't be found.

did you sleep through yesterday? Everywhere in Europe is going to be on lockdown by the end of next week. It is super infectious and the only way to slow down the spread is for people to stop moving around and randomly mingling with each other. The chances of this being all blown over by Easter are nil.

No I didn't. I'll follow the DFA advice. If they say don't travel to France I won't travel. If they say Non Essential Travel to France should be avoided I won't go.

Excellent advice on VHI Multitrip travel insurance claims here BTW.

As things stand France is not on the DFA's list of non-essential travel countries.......yet!!

France-121584107928.png

jay0109 wrote: »
    Because the healthy family could be carriers and then pass it on to not so healthy local old folk for example!

No more so than local healthy families could and anyway, old folk need to be self isolating as much as possible. I rarely see old French folk chilling on the beach or jumping in a campsite pool when times are good never mind when there's a pandemic! I'd say if there's one country in Europe where local communities will rally round to protect their old folk and make sure they can stay safe at home it'll be the French.

No I didn't. I'll follow the DFA advice. If they say don't travel to France I won't travel. If they say Non Essential Travel to France should be avoided I won't go.

Excellent advice on VHI Multitrip travel insurance claims here BTW.

As things stand France is not on the DFA's list of non-essential travel countries.......yet!!

France-121584107928.png

and i think that's more to do with terrorism threat and yellow vest protests etc, rather than COVID19?

but the situation is evolving and looking ahead i can't imagine the DFA won't change their advice on France to 'avoid non-essential travel'...

and i think that's more to do with terrorism threat and yellow vest protests etc, rather than COVID19?

It just said "normal precautions" about two weeks ago when my wife was starting to look at a work trip to Paris (which didn't go ahead in the end), so I think the upgrade to "high caution" is to do with Covid 19 all right....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Yeah I think I've come to accept that we won't be going this year. Can't see things getting better anytime soon.. I won't cancel just yet as I will lose any monies paid after deposit, I fully expect travelling to France to be stopped soon enough :-(

Just in case this info is useful to anybody who booked directly with Eurocamp -

Rang them today as balance on our holiday (Domaine des Ormes, early/mid June) is due tomorrow. They're giving two options:

1 - Postpone the "balance due" date by two weeks
    2 - Pay the balance according the original due date, but then you have 24 or 28 days (honestly can't remember which!) for a change of mind and get a full refund.

Went for option 1 ourselves to see how things pan out in the next couple of weeks. Still hoping for the best, but also starting to get used to the idea that we won't be going anywhere this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Just in case this info is useful to anybody who booked directly with Eurocamp -

Rang them today as balance on our holiday (Domaine des Ormes, early/mid June) is due tomorrow. They're giving two options:

1 - Postpone the "balance due" date by two weeks
    2 - Pay the balance according the original due date, but then you have 24 or 28 days (honestly can't remember which!) for a change of mind and get a full refund.

Went for option 1 ourselves to see how things pan out in the next couple of weeks. Still hoping for the best, but also starting to get used to the idea that we won't be going anywhere this year.

Was just about to post same.
    Or deposit is due tomorrow too. Contacted via chat on Friday and they've exerted by 2 weeks.
    I think we'll probably be cancelling, but can at least see how things develop for another week before making a call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Eurocamp and Al Fresco have changed the Dates of the payment of Balances to 6 weeks before travel instead of 12 weeks. So, giving people longer to decide.

Still don't think that we will be going anywhere but at least longer to have an idea or where things are with this virus.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Bit more time to come to terms with the fact that we'll probably just have to cancel!

Thanks. Bit more time to come to terms with the fact that we'll probably just have to cancel!

Looks like this isn't going away any time soon - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

Just got an email from eurocamp to say they are canceling our booking (Easter in Normandy). Full refund to follow.

Now just need to get onto Irish Ferries.

It’s a real shame but can’t be helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Camps not open already have been told to stay close till a later date.
    Camps open already, have been told no restaurants, no pool, no kids clubs.

We are due to go in July, if it doesn't happen fair enough. Hopefully we lock our borders down and we can holiday here. Have a caravan so off we go

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Camps not open already have been told to stay close till a later date.
    Camps open already, have been told no restaurants, no pool, no kids clubs.

We are due to go in July, if it doesn't happen fair enough. Hopefully we lock our borders down and we can holiday here. Have a caravan so off we go

Exactly the same as us. First year we got our caravan we decided to give France a miss and holiday at home, was 1 of the best holidays we had! Had to do it a 2nd time and cancel France when our daughter arrived extremely prematurely, didn't think I'd have to do it a 3rd time though! Although we have it sited now and the site is not opened up yet so who knows if that will even happen this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Just as a side note, the EU is set to approve a ban on non essential travel for 30 days, so nobody will be travelling abroad for the Easter holidays
    We will be affected but the way things are going with borders closing and services being cancelled there’s no guarantee you’ll get back, so not leaving in the first place seems like a safe bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Just as a side note, the EU is set to approve a ban on non essential travel for 30 days, so nobody will be travelling abroad for the Easter holidays
    We will be affected but the way things are going with borders closing and services being cancelled there’s no guarantee you’ll get back, so not leaving in the first place seems like a safe bet

This is just into the EU as far as i know.

Irish Ferries still insisting that sailings are proceeding as normal. Due to sail with them on the 9th and have till Thursday to cancel and get 50% back or risk 100% waiting for them to cancel closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We were due to go to France for 3 weeks at the end of June

Two campsites have agreed to refund the stay if we want to, but one campsite are being assjoles about it

I've already cancelled the car hire
    Now to play the waiting game for the airline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

mbroaders wrote: »
    This is just into the EU as far as i know.

Irish Ferries still insisting that sailings are proceeding as normal. Due to sail with them on the 9th and have till Thursday to cancel and get 50% back or risk 100% waiting for them to cancel closer to the date.

Do they carry freight on those ferries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Booked direct with campsites (paid approx 40%)- won't be refunded as I didn't opt for their cancellation insurance. Paid for flights. Renewed my travel insurance yesterday but can't see them paying,

Also paid for flights to denmark and 100% of our campsite. About 4 k down the drain (maybe flights will be refunded) but sure look it's not important with everything going on

Advertisement