Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mbroaders wrote: »
    This is just into the EU as far as i know.

Irish Ferries still insisting that sailings are proceeding as normal. Due to sail with them on the 9th and have till Thursday to cancel and get 50% back or risk 100% waiting for them to cancel closer to the date.

If will be sailing I'd say. They will keep the supply chain open. They're being knuts not refunding all your money but 50% is better than nothing.

Friend of mine is due to fly to Vegas next week. Insurance co and airline told her to FO as they are flying, even though trumpy wont let her in,in fact she probably wont get bt immigration in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If will be sailing I'd say. They will keep the supply chain open. They're being knuts not refunding all your money but 50% is better than nothing.

Friend of mine is due to fly to Vegas next week. Insurance co and airline told her to FO as they are flying, even though trumpy wont let her in,in fact she probably wont get bt immigration in dublin.

Yeah it's a crazy unprecedented situation. France will likely still be on lock down with no one allowed out of their homes without filling in a travel pass but Irish Ferries are in effect saying its ok for people to travel there. I'll have to wait till Thursday to see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I was due to travel out with IF on 9th May and back on 30th May, I always take the flexibility option so I was able to cancel yesterday with only the loss of the cost of the flexibility option €30 so not too bad. I just didn’t fancy being stuck in France on lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Well the EU has closed all external borders and banned all but essential travel so she has a good basis to claim but only if her travel insurance is comprehensive enough to cover travel disruption/pandemic etc. Some (VHI Multitrip) do but it seems some cheaper options don't include it in their basic (advertised) teaser priced plan which a lot of people purchased and relied on but either weren't aware of or decided against the add on's which would have protected them in situations like this and no doubt escalated the cost of their insurance to the same level as VHI.

Very harsh on a lot of people who have spent €'000's and now have little or no comeback insurance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

MizMix wrote: »
    Booked direct with campsites (paid approx 40%)- won't be refunded as I didn't opt for their cancellation insurance. Paid for flights. Renewed my travel insurance yesterday but can't see them paying,

Also paid for flights to denmark and 100% of our campsite. About 4 k down the drain (maybe flights will be refunded) but sure look it's not important with everything going on
    If they close campsite, you'll be refunded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

booked to go to Duinrell in NL at Easter. Currently the site is open but all the amenities are closed.

However the Dutch seem to be going for the whole herd-immunity thing so maybe there will be a travel advisory against going there as the place goes to hell like Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

They've sent an email to say we can change dates within 2020 but otherwise we won't be refunded if we didn't pay the extra insurance- we stayed there the last two years and I think this is awful. I have had to close my business so I know how tough it is but they will have no staff costs etc so it's unfair to think they can keep our deposits. Not sure I have a leg to stand on? NO interested in rescheduling for August as I don't think it'll be business as normal by then
    If they close campsite, you'll be refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They've sent an email to say we can change dates within 2020 but otherwise we won't be refunded if we didn't pay the extra insurance- we stayed there the last two years and I think this is awful. I have had to close my business so I know how tough it is but they will have no staff costs etc so it's unfair to think they can keep our deposits. Not sure I have a leg to stand on? NO interested in rescheduling for August as I don't think it'll be business as normal by then

Reply asking to change booking to 2021?

Last year we booked a mobile (expensive) in camping le Paradis near sarlat. About 3 months before departure our son got his schedule for his graduation. :(. Heel of the hunt we had to cancel the trip. I called to cancel explaining the circumstances and without even asking that told me they would refund our entire payment within 2 days. I couldn't believe it.
    BF told us we had to reschedule inside the calendar year,which for them is @ 8 months,so lost that money.
    We are returning to the site this year in September pg.

I already asked re changing to 2021 but I'm sure they'll say 2020 only. They are clearly trying to keep as much revenue as they can- they will have no staff etc to pay. It is very unfair (and I understand the hardship- I'm self employed - kids store and have had to close. I will keep hounding them- to me their cancellation insurance shouldn't be required if the place isn't even open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

mbroaders wrote: »
    This is just into the EU as far as i know.

Irish Ferries still insisting that sailings are proceeding as normal. Due to sail with them on the 9th and have till Thursday to cancel and get 50% back or risk 100% waiting for them to cancel closer to the date.

Booked on for the 9th for WBY too and not sure to cancel tomorrow or gamble on it being cancelled by IF in the coming weeks. You can still book French crossing on the website for March and April but I wonder will the WB Yeats continue to sail as I assume it would be a virtually empty ferry. Could see the Epsilon continuing though with freight traffic so they may not 100% refund on the basis there's still a France / Ireland service in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I already asked re changing to 2021 but I'm sure they'll say 2020 only. They are clearly trying to keep as much revenue as they can- they will have no staff etc to pay. It is very unfair (and I understand the hardship- I'm self employed - kids store and have had to close. I will keep hounding them- to me their cancellation insurance shouldn't be required if the place isn't even open!

I'd definitely place emphasis on your previous stay and that you will be intending to book again in the future
    It's pathetic customer service

Their reply below- they pushing that they might be open. Does anyone think there will be any sort of normality even by August? I don't and don't think my husband would risk travelling anywhere this summer. I plan on being a pain in their backside and will be calling them later this week! We've spent over 3k with them in the past two years

1/ only the 25% of account are not refundable. The extra is refundable until 30 days before your arrival date. So you can make the request.
    (note our 25% is over 300!)

2/If the campsite has to be closed, govnernment decision, you can report your stay on 2020 season and enjoy of an asset on 2020 season (if your stay is concerning by this exceptionnal closing).

3/ For now, we are positive regarding the situation evolving before the campsite openning (in 2 months).

As the situation is evolving everyday and decision too, according to this event and context, today, this is the information we can share with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Their reply below- they pushing that they might be open. Does anyone think there will be any sort of normality even by August? I don't and don't think my husband would risk travelling anywhere this summer. I plan on being a pain in their backside and will be calling them later this week! We've spent over 3k with them in the past two years

We have a holiday booked in France for the first few weeks of July and also didn't take out the cancellation insurance. I've yet to contact them but I figure if they are closed, they are not fulfilling their part of the bargain i.e. I'm not cancelling, they are. If they are open, then it should be safe to travel - France are being more vigilant than Ireland

I would be willing to reschedule to later in August or 2021 though - will need a holiday once all this is over!

Treviso wrote: »
    We have a holiday booked in France for the first few weeks of July and also didn't take out the cancellation insurance. I've yet to contact them but I figure if they are closed, they are not fulfilling their part of the bargain i.e. I'm not cancelling, they are. If they are open, then it should be safe to travel - France are being more vigilant than Ireland

I would be willing to reschedule to later in August or 2021 though - will need a holiday once all this is over!

I don't want to be pedantic but don't assume if they are closed that they are liable for not fulfilling their end of the contract. If the French govt forbid them from opening they could claim "Force Majeure" which is frequently included in T&Cs as a get out of jail card for service providers ie if they can't open due to a choice they make or a cause they are responsible for they are liable but if they can't open due to an instruction from the French govt it's outside their control and not something they are therefore liable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm going to bite the bullet and cancel this week.
    Flex on Irish ferries will give me full refund, unless eurocamp are being especially sounds I'll be down my €100 deposit, which I'm willing to take the hit on.
    To be honest at this stage of prefer to just have it cancelled rather than have the decision nagging at me for the next 2-3 months while everything else is going on.

If it miraculously suits blue over by June I can always look at rebooking. Otherwise, will just see how it all plays out. The holiday money could be needed for other things in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

54and56 wrote: »
    I don't want to be pedantic but don't assume if they are closed that they are liable for not fulfilling their end of the contract. If the French govt forbid them from opening they could claim "Force Majeure" which is frequently included in T&Cs as a get out of jail card for service providers ie if they can't open due to a choice they make or a cause they are responsible for they are liable but if they can't open due to an instruction from the French govt it's outside their control and not something they are therefore liable for.

Thanks, appreciate the input. I suppose it's something I can't really argue about, and in the scheme of things isn't a huge deal. Hopefully they might be accommodating in allowing us to rebook at a later date in the summer or next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm going to bite the bullet and cancel this week.
    Flex on Irish ferries will give me full refund, unless eurocamp are being especially sounds I'll be down my €100 deposit, which I'm willing to take the hit on.
    To be honest at this stage of prefer to just have it cancelled rather than have the decision nagging at me for the next 2-3 months while everything else is going on.

If it miraculously suits blue over by June I can always look at rebooking. Otherwise, will just see how it all plays out. The holiday money could be needed for other things in the meantime.

I have paid the ferry in full. Its at the start of July so I guess I will wait and see what way it all pans out.

I assume IF wont refund any of the money as they will still be operating (freight) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Deeman83 wrote: »
    I have paid the ferry in full. Its at the start of July so I guess I will wait and see what way it all pans out.

I assume IF wont refund any of the money as they will still be operating (freight) etc.

You can cancel up to 42 days beforehand with a loss of 100 euro. Between 41 and 21 days its a 50% loss on the fare . Anything else its a full loss. Any cancellation loss goes into Irish Ferries credit that can be used before December 18th, thats how it stands currently.

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/top-10-faqs/coronavirus-covid-19/#concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Treviso wrote: »
    Thanks, appreciate the input. I suppose it's something I can't really argue about, and in the scheme of things isn't a huge deal. Hopefully they might be accommodating in allowing us to rebook at a later date in the summer or next year.

Remember some sites will open up, but just wont open the pool, restaurants, pub and kids club

• Advertisement

Remember some sites will open up, but just wont open the pool, restaurants, pub and kids club

About as good as a brothel with no hookers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Has anyone tried/gotten a refund from Ryanair. I have received a email stating our flight departure time has changed by +/- 2 hours, delving into the email and links I can't figure out if I get a full refund or just a meal voucher....our flights are for end of June beginning of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Has anyone tried/gotten a refund from Ryanair. I have received a email stating our flight departure time has changed by +/- 2 hours, delving into the email and links I can't figure out if I get a full refund or just a meal voucher....our flights are for end of June beginning of July.

U are possibly a bit early. I reckon they have only cancelled flights for April/May. My son just got cancelled for early April and a refund. he is London based.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Extracts from emails from Brittany Ferries and Irish Ferries.

Brittany say

"Following advice given by governments in all countries to which we sail, we have been forced to temporarily suspend passenger services connecting the UK, Ireland, France and Spain. We apologise sincerely to all those affected.

All passenger sailings between the UK and France, Ireland and France and Ireland-Spain have ceased operating for the time-being. The final passenger repatriation service leaving Spain for the UK this weekend is full.
    A small number of ships in our fleet will continue to operate with limited crew as a lifeline freight-only service. During this period of uncertainty we must do all we can to ensure that essential goods continue to flow freely.
    We’ve acted in the best interests of passengers and our colleagues. Our priority, of course, is the safety and well-being of passengers, crew, shore-side staff, suppliers, as well as the communities we serve across four countries."

Irish Ferries say

"1. Our schedules:

For those customers who wish or need to travel, all our sailings are currently operating to schedule.

2. Restricted Movement in France:
    Please be advised the French Government have recently imposed restricted movement policies throughout France.

Q: What does this mean for you, in advance of travel?
    • A: Those arriving into France must complete a form justifying their travel, and must carry this with them at all times while in France.
    • If travelling for professional/business reasons, this needs to be completed by the employer. Relevant forms (with English translation) can be found here: (personal / professional). These will also be distributed to passengers on check-in. Please expect associated delays on disembarkation at Cherbourg."
    I think Brittany are realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

sceach16 wrote: »
    Extracts from emails from Brittany Ferries and Irish Ferries.

Brittany say

"Following advice given by governments in all countries to which we sail, we have been forced to temporarily suspend passenger services connecting the UK, Ireland, France and Spain. We apologise sincerely to all those affected.

All passenger sailings between the UK and France, Ireland and France and Ireland-Spain have ceased operating for the time-being. The final passenger repatriation service leaving Spain for the UK this weekend is full.
    A small number of ships in our fleet will continue to operate with limited crew as a lifeline freight-only service. During this period of uncertainty we must do all we can to ensure that essential goods continue to flow freely.
    We’ve acted in the best interests of passengers and our colleagues. Our priority, of course, is the safety and well-being of passengers, crew, shore-side staff, suppliers, as well as the communities we serve across four countries."

Irish Ferries say

"1. Our schedules:

For those customers who wish or need to travel, all our sailings are currently operating to schedule.

2. Restricted Movement in France:
    Please be advised the French Government have recently imposed restricted movement policies throughout France.

Q: What does this mean for you, in advance of travel?
    • A: Those arriving into France must complete a form justifying their travel, and must carry this with them at all times while in France.
    • If travelling for professional/business reasons, this needs to be completed by the employer. Relevant forms (with English translation) can be found here: (personal / professional). These will also be distributed to passengers on check-in. Please expect associated delays on disembarkation at Cherbourg."
    I think Brittany are realistic.

Brittany also gave full unsolicited refund to customers affected, unlike Irish Ferries

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

dbrunson wrote: »
    Brittany also gave full unsolicited refund to customers affected, unlike Irish Ferries

got a bizarre response from irish Ferries when i asked could they let me use credit from next months planned trip, in 2021. i've already told them it's not possible for us to travel again this year. really feel let down. am i being unreasonable thinking they could do better?

"Hi,

We are monitoring the situation and in contact with relevant health authorities. The master of the ship announces our policy of social distancing at the onset of all sailings. We are following all published advice and guidance, including, for example, increasing the frequency of our onboard cleaning routines, and displaying HSE notices regarding Covid 19.

We can provide guidance on what is happening at the moment, that is our sailings are confirmed and standard cancellation terms and conditions apply.

As advised below, we can hold the amount paid as a credit for use on a future booking for travel up to 18 Dec 2020 on either the Ireland France or Irish Sea routes (subject to availability).

Please advise how you wish to proceed.
    "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Irish Ferries could Always do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

U are possibly a bit early. I reckon they have only cancelled flights for April/May. My son just got cancelled for early April and a refund. he is London based.

I thought so also, but a linky in the email I received offers a refund as an option but the email I received contradicts the site info. Hence my confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

[*]A: Those arriving into France must complete a form justifying their travel, and must carry this with them at all times while in France.

A bit of clarification on this point, for anyone travelling in France: every person in the group needs one of these forms, and you need one every time you leave your residence - a new permit for every person on the outing, every time, and limited to one justifiable activity out of the five on the list (most of which won't apply to holiday-makers). So you can opt to leave the house to walk the dog or buy bread but not both.

Also be warned: in many towns/resort areas, you are not entitled to be out-and-about for the purposes of stretching your legs if you're not a permanent resident ... and even if you are, you're expected to stay within 500m of your residence.

The Irish Ferries info makes it sound like you can freely wander about anywhere you like as long as you've got a bit of paper. That is definitely not the case (as 40000 people have so far found out, to their cost)

• Advertisement

A bit of clarification on this point, for anyone travelling in France: every person in the group needs one of these forms, and you need one every time you leave your residence

Thanks for that CR, good to get an "on the ground" confirmation of how the restrictions actually work.

Do you know if the French Govt have put an initial timeframe on how long these arrangements will be in place or is it (understandably) open ended until they are no longer required?

Advertisement