Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thanks very much for that.

Just wondering if you've been to La Grande Metarie, La Pointe St Gilles, Les Ormes, Les Mouettes or Domaine De Kerlann that maybe you could compare it to?

Went to both Pointe St Gilles and Ty Nadan resorts two years ago, 2 weeks in St gilles followed a week in Ty Nadan. Both are great resorts but are totally different. Pointe St Gilles is close to beaches & Benodet town, excellent pool and entertainment nightly - it's like a traditional busy french campsite with loads of english/Irish staying there.

Ty Nadan is more inland and is set in a quiet forest, nearest town is 15min drive away. More of an european vibe to the site, with a lot more Dutch/French people staying there. Really relaxed atmosphere there. Pool area is quite good. There is nightly entertainment but not at the same level as Pointe St Gilles. Outdoor activities is where it excels (Zipwire course, segways, paintball etc.) - kids would want to be over 6 to benefit though.

We preferred Ty Nadan ourselves, but that was our personal preferences. Our kids were quite young at the time too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

Credit to bargain alerts thread for this:

Free Ebook from rough guides

https://www.roughguides.com/shop/

readmore100 is the code

Put in another email address for another book etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone cancelled with Eurocamp between 12 weeks and 6 weeks ahead of your holiday ?
    If yes, how much money did you lose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Has anyone cancelled with Eurocamp between 12 weeks and 6 weeks ahead of your holiday ?
    If yes, how much money did you lose ?

I'm planning to do that this week.
    As far as I can tell I'll only lose my €100 deposit, which is also all I've paid so far.

And my hope is the Flexi fare on Irish ferries will allow me to get everything back (apart from Flexi charge)

If you hear or experience otherwise I'd appreciate a heads up.
    Thanks
    Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm planning to do that this week.
    As far as I can tell I'll only lose my €100 deposit, which is also all I've paid so far.

And my hope is the Flexi fare on Irish ferries will allow me to get everything back (apart from Flexi charge)

If you hear or experience otherwise I'd appreciate a heads up.
    Thanks
    Davy

I have been given a credit (100%) valid until end 2021 against my recent cancellation. I had no flexi fare.

The French Government will not allow anyone without a specific reason (CNN quote "France is under a nationwide lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus, and foreigners entering French territory need to have an essential reason to do so under emergency rules, such as medical personnel coming as reinforcements for hospital staff, or individuals transporting medical equipment.").

Irish ferries are not carrying passengers. They are being very coy and claiming the service has not been cancelled but , in effect it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

sceach16 wrote: »
    I have been given a credit (100%) valid until end 2021 against my recent cancellation. I had no flexi fare.

The French Government will not allow anyone without a specific reason (CNN quote "France is under a nationwide lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus, and foreigners entering French territory need to have an essential reason to do so under emergency rules, such as medical personnel coming as reinforcements for hospital staff, or individuals transporting medical equipment.").

Irish ferries are not carrying passengers. They are being very coy and claiming the service has not been cancelled but , in effect it has.

Are you saying irish ferries are giving you full credit off rebooking holiday to next year ? I've to contact them in coming days, to try and do the same. Was meant to be going in june

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Are you saying irish ferries are giving you full credit off rebooking holiday to next year ? I've to contact them in coming days, to try and do the same. Was meant to be going in june

YES. Extracts from emails below.

• To assist customers who no longer want to travel and in order to provide greater flexibility, customers who have booked with Irish Ferries for travel up to 31 May can avail of the following options:
    • Free amendment: Customers can amend their booking to a later travel date anytime up to 18 December 2020 with no amendment fees. Fare difference may apply where applicable.
    • Cancellation: Customers who are booked to travel up to May 31 and who wish to cancel, can do so. Any applicable cancellation fee will be refunded as a credit for use on a future booking (for travel anytime up to 18 Dec 2021 on either Ireland - France or Irish Sea routes (subject to availability).

After Cancellation
    Booking is now cancelled and full amount held as a credit note until end of 2021.

I presume June will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Forget about it for this year lads and lassies...

https://twitter.com/racheldonadio/status/1249763783024807937?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We were due to head to the Vendee on June 26th. The kids are gutted we're going to miss it. We've only paid the deposit for the ferry and a portion of the campsite fee though. Things could be a lot worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Our final Yelloh!Village instalment is due this week. We have paid for cancellation insurance, but it appears quite limited. Due to travel late July, so as things stand I don't think they'll be cancelling. Hard to see how the campsites will really in a position to operate as normal, given physical distancing still likely to be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Our final Yelloh!Village instalment is due this week. We have paid for cancellation insurance, but it appears quite limited. Due to travel late July, so as things stand I don't think they'll be cancelling. Hard to see how the campsites will really in a position to operate as normal, given physical distancing still likely to be required.

same boat ourselves not sure what to do, last 2 weeks in july :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Heroditas wrote: »
    We were due to head to the Vendee on June 26th. The kids are gutted we're going to miss it. We've only paid the deposit for the ferry and a portion of the campsite fee though. Things could be a lot worse though.

Is there a possibility of moving it to July and August?

Governments are getting ready to start lifting restrictions soon in order to get the economies going.

I would expect France will be doing everything they can to protect the tourism peak in June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Macy0161 wrote: »

My personal hunch is that Macron would really like to allow a shortened holiday season if possible both for the sanity of the French nation and to allow the tourism sector to generate enough revenue to mitigate the damage already done.

Maybe the last two weeks of July and August or just August depending on how things have panned out by then but possibly restricted to domestic tourism / French nationals only.

We're scheduled for the first three weeks in July so pretty much resigned to that not happening.

Deeman83 wrote: »

Governments are getting ready to start lifting restrictions soon in order to get the economies going.

I would expect France will be doing everything they can to protect the tourism peak in June and July.

The tourism peak is from mid July (Bastille Day July 14th) through August.

Given Macrons statement about there being no cultural events until mid July I can see Bastille Day being used to celebrate lifting of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

54and56 wrote: »
    Maybe the last two weeks of July and August or just August depending on how things have panned out by then but possibly restricted to domestic tourism / French nationals only.
    That's pretty much the most I would expect. It would also depend on our own Governments advice as well. It's possible restrictions lifted in France, and Irish State still going avoid unnecessary international travel (in which case multi-trip will kick in, even if the cancellation insurance doesn't).

We'd be happy to kick to 2021, although the doubt about Yelloh!/ the campsite/ irish ferries getting through I think I'd prefer the case in my own bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Deeman83 wrote: »

If you can find a date in July or August, anyone that has booked for then won't be cancelling yet. We have booked for end of june, resigned to cancelling for this year and hopefully getting away next yr. Just Ryanair flights pd in full, so hoping they'll return monies. Campsite just deposit of and happy to kick that till next year if they want.

We were due to go to Italy end of June for 3 weeks. Know it won't happen. Finally told Kids at the weekend that really we won't be going. Moving on now and planning a return to France and the Ferry for 2021.
    Have €99 Deposit only paid to Eurocamp. Balance due in mid-May. We won't be paying it as over €3k.
    Flights fully paid with Aer Lingus. Want a refund and not a Voucher as going back to the Ferry next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200413/macron-extends-lockdown-as-frances-coronavirus-death-toll-nears-15000

I just can’t see them opening campsites/hotels etc to foreign tourists. An influx of Irish, brits, German, Belgian Dutch and Spanish is the last thing they need.

If they do open Face masks will probably be compulsive at stage and social distancing will make it for an uncomfortable holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think this year is a write-off I'm afraid. I'd imagine the camps (and ferry companies) would prefer to give credit notes instead of refunds. That might help them stay in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Also have final Yelloh payment due next week. Due to travel 3rd week July.

I think it is best to let the payment go and see what happens. I wouldn't mind it rolling forward to 2021 if that was an option. Realistically can't see mass international holiday travel happening this summer.

• Advertisement

We were due to go to Italy end of June for 3 weeks. Know it won't happen. Finally told Kids at the weekend that really we won't be going. Moving on now and planning a return to France and the Ferry for 2021.
    Have €99 Deposit only paid to Eurocamp. Balance due in mid-May. We won't be paying it as over €3k.
    Flights fully paid with Aer Lingus. Want a refund and not a Voucher as going back to the Ferry next year.

In my experience Ryanair are being straightforward about this. They are cancelling flights well in advance, making it easy to apply for a refund and are communicating well.

Aer Lingus are the complete opposite. Who'd have thought that a few years ago??

I'm supposed to be going out to Portugal next week Ryanair and back Aer Lingus. Ryainair cancelled the outbound flight weeks ago, I applied for the refund (took less than a minute online) and they've been emailing to say they're snowed under with fewer staff due to Covid so please be patient we'll get to you etc etc.

Aer Lingus are still showing the flight as being live (I can check in if I want) and are sending me emails about re-scheduling or getting a credit. No thanks!!

They'll eventually have to cancel the flight and that's when they'll have to offer refunds. They're being right sneaky feckers they way they are emailing offering free re-bookings or credits but no mention of refunds as technically the flight is still "live".

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

We're due to go to South of France on May 29th & stay with eurocamp for 10 days. Ryanair flight I'm sure will be cancelled so will take the refund. On the accom I think Eurocamp will offer a credit but if the summer is a wash out then I'm thinking will they survive a Yr without revenue and my credit is useless. The yelloh Park we're going to is still taking bookings for our dates

We're due to go to South of France on May 29th & stay with eurocamp for 10 days. Ryanair flight I'm sure will be cancelled so will take the refund. On the accom I think Eurocamp will offer a credit but if the summer is a wash out then I'm thinking will they survive a Yr without revenue and my credit is useless. The yelloh Park we're going to is still taking bookings for our dates

Yeah, that's part of the reason why we don't want to pay our balance of over €3k. If we couldn't go and we took a Credit towards next year and Eurocamp didn't survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There is a gov scheme in Italy to guarantee campsites and other accommodation agsinst covid 19 closures due to lack of cash flow

I'm sure the French will do something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

This was going to be our last year doing France to try something different next year. We will have no choice unless we lose our deposits on ferry and site but to go next year. We are due to go for the last 3 weeks of July, I know a lot could change but a bit unlikely..

As soon as Aer Lingus email to tell you that your flight is cancelled you can request a full refund using this online form https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/refund-request-form/

They finally cancelled my Faro to Dublin flight which was due next week but whilst the email confirming the cancellation outlined options to re-book without a re-booking charge and how to apply for a credit voucher worth 10% more than the original cost of the flight it never mentioned the possibility of a refund. All they did was provide a link where you could read about your statutory rights and it was only there that applying for a refund was mentioned.

My reading of the cancellation application form is that if you apply for a refund before Aer Lingus have actually cancelled the flight you'll be out of pocket so frustrating as it is you're better off waiting them out until they are forced to finally cancel the flight giving you the right to then request a full refund.

54and56 wrote: »
    As soon as Aer Lingus email to tell you that your flight is cancelled you can request a full refund using this online form https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/refund-request-form/

They finally cancelled my Faro to Dublin flight which was due next week but whilst the email confirming the cancellation outlined options to re-book without a re-booking charge and how to apply for a credit voucher worth 10% more than the original cost of the flight it never mentioned the possibility of a refund. All they did was provide a link where you could read about your statutory rights and it was only there that applying for a refund was mentioned.

My reading of the cancellation application form is that if you apply for a refund before Aer Lingus have actually cancelled the flight you'll be out of pocket so frustrating as it is you're better off waiting them out until they are forced to finally cancel the flight giving you the right to then request a full refund.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have you actually gotten a cancellation email from AerLingus? I was due to fly out Monday and back next Sunday and apart from emails offering me vouchers and free changes I've gotten nothing re the cancellation. I completed the form after the departure time on Monday and sent it but haven't heard a peep out of them yet.

tnegun wrote: »
    Have you actually gotten a cancellation email from AerLingus?

Yes
    tnegun wrote: »
    I was due to fly out Monday and back next Sunday and apart from emails offering me vouchers and free changes I've gotten nothing re the cancellation.

You sure none of the emails you got confirmed the flight was cancelled?

The cancellation notice email I received came from schedulechange@aerlingus.com which is not the standard email address from them so check your spam folder.

The email I received started off "If your booking was made with a travel agent, please contact the agent for information on your options." Try searching for that text string in your email account.

Either way, if the flight was cancelled before you applied for a refund you are entitled to a full refund from them including taxes etc.

Have a read of this document - https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/LEGALCANCELLATION.pdf

After submitting the form I did receive an email from them (from guestrefunds@aerlingus.com) confirming receipt of my refund application and giving me a case reference # to use in correspondence etc .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Positive no cancellation emails just checked my junk email too, I submitted the claim for cancellation on Monday and got the reference no but have heard nothing since. If I log into the AerLingus site my booking and flights still show just like they're gong ahead no mention of cancellation there either.

Advertisement