Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I got an email from the campsite saying they are opening as normal on the 8th May (Spain - Castell Montgri)
    Have booked for the end July / Start of August.
    Havent wrote it off completely yet for this year - still 12 weeks to go - anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I got an email from the campsite saying they are opening as normal on the 8th May (Spain - Castell Montgri)
    Have booked for the end July / Start of August.
    Havent wrote it off completely yet for this year - still 12 weeks to go - anything could happen.

So we have bella italia opening end of May in the epicentre of the Italian outbreak and Castell montgri opening in 3 weeks the second worst hit zone in Spain. It sounds like a business decision to avoid refunding cancellations in my opinion.

“Sorry lads, we’re open for business as usual, it’s not our fault if you can’t get here”.

I hope I’m wrong as I’d love to be on a beach in the south of France in late June but I just can’t see it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are meant to go to Italy in late June. We are also meant to be meeting friends on a Campsite (travelling separately).
    Friends are still v hopeful of going but I really don't think so. Campsite saying they will open in late May.

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are meant to go to Italy in late June. We are also meant to be meeting friends on a Campsite (travelling separately).
    Friends are still v hopeful of going but I really don't think so. Campsite saying they will open in late May.

Thoughts ?

I really want us to go on our holidays to france but when you play it out is it worth it?

What is the best realistic case scenario? That countries have lowered the spread to a manageable number, maybe even really low. But at that stage (anytime in the summer), can we be sure there won’t be a second wave?

If things get bad while I’m in France will I be able to get home? What if there are issues in the ferry, Is there any scenario where you could be stuck on the ferry like passengers on a cruise? What about if things get bad in Ireland? What if one or several of my family get sick while away and it gets bad? (Do I want to be stuck in France with a sick family member?) How exactly do I socially distance or be responsible in terms of kids/adults interacting in a resort? Is it worth all the anxiety to just be in a different country?

I suppose I don’t have to make any calls now and it may be out of my hands anyways, but the way it’s spreading and causing so much havoc (like a slow car crash) I just can’t picture conditions making it sensible to travel outside of Ireland this summer.

Thanks Drumpot. You have really spelt that out very well.

At the moment we have paid €99 to Eurocamp. Balance due mid-May. We won't be paying that then due to their now amended Cancellation Policy.
    Fingers crossed for a refund from Aer Lingus closer to the time as we don't want a Voucher as we will hopefully be back on the Ferry for 2021 and also in case Aer Lingus do not survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks Drumpot. You have really spelt that out very well.

At the moment we have paid €99 to Eurocamp. Balance due mid-May. We won't be paying that then due to their now amended Cancellation Policy.
    Fingers crossed for a refund from Aer Lingus closer to the time as we don't want a Voucher as we will hopefully be back on the Ferry for 2021 and also in case Aer Lingus do not survive.

Yeh, was having a conversation with my wife the other day on this. Listening to the kids talking about it (they love going away to the campsite) and seeing pictures from last few years really got me trying to come up with scenarios where it would be safe to go.

While it’s not beyond the realms of possibility, right now there just seems to be so many imponderables. When you see countries who had been handling it well, now struggle it’s not a great sign. I suppose we need to watch countries relaxing their lockdowns as it really is a case of trial and error until we can point to somebody who cracks it.

I’ve actually flights booked to USA in 2 weeks time. Been holding out for Aer Lingus to give a refund aswell. They aren’t coming out looking great on this as I’ve read stories where people found it easier to get refunds from Ryanair , whereas Aer Lingus hold out. I submitted a refund request in March and never got a response.

Homair own quite a few campsites around Europe. Looks like they are setting a marker for the early summer at least. Pools and bars closed so basically you can use their mobile pitch and that’s about it.

https://www.homair.com/en/travel-information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Gavlor wrote: »
    So we have bella italia opening end of May in the epicentre of the Italian outbreak and Castell montgri opening in 3 weeks the second worst hit zone in Spain. It sounds like a business decision to avoid refunding cancellations in my opinion.

“Sorry lads, we’re open for business as usual, it’s not our fault if you can’t get here”.

I hope I’m wrong as I’d love to be on a beach in the south of France in late June but I just can’t see it :(

'' hi campsite. We're really looking forward to our stay. We have just been diagnosed with coronavirus but feel we would recooperate faster in the sun. We plan to use the campsite as our self isolation zone. Hope that's OK, see ya soon''

'' hi campsite. We're really looking forward to our stay. We have just been diagnosed with coronavirus but feel we would recooperate faster in the sun. We plan to use the campsite as our self isolation zone. Hope that's OK, see ya soon''

Mucho bad newsio. Forwardo el noto from el doctoro and we will investigate a refundo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Mucho bad newsio. Forwardo el noto from el doctoro and we will investigate a refundo

Dear campsite

scribble scribble scrawl scribble, scribble scrawl scribble,

Love, Dr scribble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Our final Yelloh!Village instalment is due this week. We have paid for cancellation insurance, but it appears quite limited. Due to travel late July, so as things stand I don't think they'll be cancelling. Hard to see how the campsites will really in a position to operate as normal, given physical distancing still likely to be required.

I’m in a similar boat, have paid 60% of the Yelloh accommodation and 100% of ferry. Should I try get cancellation insurance now or is it too late? I assumed if it’s closed / cancelled we’d be allowed move it to next year. I’m due to go last week of august - first week September

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just my two cents here. I can see a lot of these campsites opening but stuff like pools, slides, bars etc.. will be closed or working on a extremely reduced hrs capacity with very limited numbers.

From my previous experiences with the kids this alone would be a deal breaker not to mention the risk of getting stuck in France if second outbreak occurs on a huge scale.

There is just to many unknowns to make it enjoyable for us tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I finally bit the bullet and sent the cancellation mails this morning for holiday on carnac scheduled 6th June.
    Honestly it's a weight of to just have it done in assuming I'll just be down my deposits, although IF may transfer that to credit.
    Glad to have it done, and can write off the small loss without throwing now money into the gone and wondering what'll happen.

On the up side, I think I might use some of the 'saving' to finally get a new TV and pay for Disney+ for the year without feeling too guilty about the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

This is a cut and paste of an email we received. Vacanceole are not campsites but do self catering apartments. I reckon (guess) campsites/chains are under the same regime.

"You have booked one or several reservations in Vacancéole residences. It was cancelled or interrupted between March 1, 2020 and September 15, 2020, due to the covid-19 pandemic.

To deal with this emergency situation, the French Government issued the Ordinance-law n° 2020-315 on March 25, 2020. It temporarily replaces the reimbursement obligation in the tourism industry with the sending of credit notes. The terms of the Ordinance prevail, which means that neither the regular cancellation policy of Vacancéole nor the reimbursement described in the Article L. 211-14 of the French Tourism Code do apply. This applies to all clients, whatever their country of origin.

After the cancellation of your reservation, the email hereby is a credit note applicable to a future reservation, its amount will be deduced from your next reservation. The amount indicated below is that of all payments made for the contract that was cancelled: unused nights and any additional service you may have booked.
    Amount of the credit note: see enclosed
    Terms of use:
    • Valid 18 months from the date in the header onwards.
    • Credit refundable after the expiry of the 18-month validity period.
    • Can be used in several times.
    • Not transferable to third parties.
    • Valid for all Vacancéole residences excluding partner residences.

We will contact you soon with offers of reservations in order to use your credit note. When the 18-month period of validity of the credit note ends, the balance of the credit note shall be refunded to you. In compliance with chapter III of the Ordinance, please note that early reimbursements will not be accepted.

If you have already received a credit note or credit voucher, the present one cancels and replaces the latter. Regulatory monitoring is ensured and should the government guidelines evolve, we would inform you immediately.
    We suffer as much as you do from this exceptional and unprecedented situation. In this context, the decisions of Vacancéole are dictated by your health, your safety and the compliance with government guidelines. We count on your understanding and benevolence and we are all very eager to open again and greet you in our residences."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

sceach16 wrote: »
    This is a cut and paste of an email we received. Vacanceole are not campsites but do self catering apartments. I reckon (guess) campsites/chains are under the same regime.

"You have booked one or several reservations in Vacancéole residences. It was cancelled or interrupted between March 1, 2020 and September 15, 2020, due to the covid-19 pandemic.

To deal with this emergency situation, the French Government issued the Ordinance-law n° 2020-315 on March 25, 2020. It temporarily replaces the reimbursement obligation in the tourism industry with the sending of credit notes. The terms of the Ordinance prevail, which means that neither the regular cancellation policy of Vacancéole nor the reimbursement described in the Article L. 211-14 of the French Tourism Code do apply. This applies to all clients, whatever their country of origin.

After the cancellation of your reservation, the email hereby is a credit note applicable to a future reservation, its amount will be deduced from your next reservation. The amount indicated below is that of all payments made for the contract that was cancelled: unused nights and any additional service you may have booked.
    Amount of the credit note: see enclosed
    Terms of use:
    • Valid 18 months from the date in the header onwards.
    • Credit refundable after the expiry of the 18-month validity period.
    • Can be used in several times.
    • Not transferable to third parties.
    • Valid for all Vacancéole residences excluding partner residences.

We will contact you soon with offers of reservations in order to use your credit note. When the 18-month period of validity of the credit note ends, the balance of the credit note shall be refunded to you. In compliance with chapter III of the Ordinance, please note that early reimbursements will not be accepted.

If you have already received a credit note or credit voucher, the present one cancels and replaces the latter. Regulatory monitoring is ensured and should the government guidelines evolve, we would inform you immediately.
    We suffer as much as you do from this exceptional and unprecedented situation. In this context, the decisions of Vacancéole are dictated by your health, your safety and the compliance with government guidelines. We count on your understanding and benevolence and we are all very eager to open again and greet you in our residences."

So if you don't want to or can't reschedule for next year you are effectively lending the campsites the amount you had already paid them interest free? On top of that given the value of credits campsites will have on their books it'll be very tempting for them to increase prices in 2021 knowing they are selling to a fairly captive market of customers who need to use their vouchers as their only alternative is to lay out more cash elsewhere for their 2021 holiday and then wait until October 2021 before being refunded for their unused credit note.

I wonder how travel insurance will deal with a situation like this? You can't take your holiday due to the pandemic but you haven't lost your money either as the campsite are scheduled to refund you in Oct 2021. The right thing for the Travel insurers to do would be to refund their customers and take over ownership of the credit note effectively laying out cash now for the cost of waiting 18 months to get it back which isn't that onerous a cost relative to paying full whack for cancelled holidays with zero chance of getting any of the paid out claim back. Can't see it happening though as the only "loss" you could possibly demonstrate is the time value of whatever you're owed for a period of 18 months. Even at overdraft rates of 16% that's circa €250 "loss" for every €1,000 you're forced to wait 18 months to get back.

What happens if the Campsite goes out of business in the meantime ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

My dilemma is I’m due to pay €1000 final payment in May. Do I pay it? If not I could lose my previous €1500 already paid... if I do I could lose it all. It’s a large chain of campsites so I don’t imagine they’ll go bust and if I get a credit note to use next year I’ll be happy, I just don’t want a situation where august comes, it’s not advised to travel but they’re open so I lose all my money... or as someone said they’re open but all pools etc are Shut because that would be pants

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

French education Minister talking today around schools going back in 3 staggered tranches from May 11th, copied below from a regional south west paper

"a return spread over three weeks
    He then referred to the timetable envisaged by the government. "We will bring in from the week of May 11: the big sections, CP and CM2. Then on May 18: it will be the colleges, with the sixth and third, then the lycées with the first and the final and the professional lycées with the industrial workshops. "

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Castell Montgri have sent an email out today. New opening date of the 12th June. Was supposed to be the 8th May.

Contacted my provider today that Ive used for the last 12 years and they said its better to pay the balance due as they feel that travel will be allowed in July / August - I owe them about 1000.00

If its cancelled Ill get a credit note for 2021/2022 for the full amount. If I don't pay the balance Ill loose everything that has already been paid and NOT get a credit note for any of what I have already paid - in other words by not paying my balance its assumed that I am cancelling the holiday and not them.

Castell Montgri have sent an email out today. New opening date of the 12th June. Was supposed to be the 8th May.

Contacted my provider today that Ive used for the last 12 years and they said its better to pay the balance due as they feel that travel will be allowed in July / August - I owe them about 1000.00

If its cancelled Ill get a credit note for 2021/2022 for the full amount. If I don't pay the balance Ill loose everything that has already been paid and NOT get a credit note for any of what I have already paid - in other words by not paying my balance its assumed that I am cancelling the holiday and not them.

How much have you paid so far ?

We have only paid €99 so far so happy to lose that rather than hand over balance of another €3k and then wondering what happens if they go out of business

• Advertisement

We have only paid €99 so far so happy to lose that rather than hand over balance of another €3k and then wondering what happens if they go out of business

Ive paid 1700 euros so far.

We`ve went to Castell Montgri for the last 12 years and would have been going next year anyway so a credit note isn't the worst scenario for us.

If its cancelled and I have next years paid for then its not a huge issue.

I need a holiday after this year so Ill probably just book Lanzarote for November if July doesn't go ahead.

I’m the same as that. I’ll let the €99 slide and take a voucher for the flights to use for next years holiday.

Which I’m going on virus or no virus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Anyone sailing with Irish Ferries in July?

What are your current thoughts on whether to go or not? I would imagine the French government will be under pressure to open up (with restrictions) for the tourist season.

What is the latest info from Irish ferries? I take it they will over the move the dates or give credit for use next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Deeman83 wrote: »

What are your current thoughts on whether to go or not? I would imagine the French government will be under pressure to open up (with restrictions) for the tourist season.

What is the latest info from Irish ferries? I take it they will over the move the dates or give credit for use next summer.
    Not going by ferry, but we were booked for a campsite for mid July.
    At this stage, we've decided to pull the plug on it ourselves, the campsite sees a lot of people in from the Netherlands , as well as Germany and Spain, and I don't fancy being at a crowded camp so close to the current situation.

Ive paid 1700 euros so far.

We`ve went to Castell Montgri for the last 12 years and would have been going next year anyway so a credit note isn't the worst scenario for us.

If its cancelled and I have next years paid for then its not a huge issue.

I need a holiday after this year so Ill probably just book Lanzarote for November if July doesn't go ahead.

Quick question, is it really as hilly as it looks?

Our kids will be 4 & 5 next year and the profile of the site has put me off heretofore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Yep, due out the first week of July. Both ferries (IF out and Stena Back) plus campsite fully paid for. As a family we're resigned to the fact it's unlikely to happen but will be guided by the advice of both the Irish & French Govt's. If the Irish govt restrictions are lifted for non essential travel and the French Govt permits international tourists into France and to travel around without the current constraints (which CelticRambler detailed previously) we'll hit the road as planned in the knowledge it will likely be a restricted activity holiday (social distancing will make pool activity, playgrounds, restaurants and night time shows etc very difficult) but after 3-4 months stuck in the house even a restricted holiday rather than no holiday at all would be welcome providing the advice is it's safe to travel.

Until there's a vaccine there's going to be a continuing risk of catching Covid whether here or in France and whilst I wouldn't want any of the family to end up in a French hospital with it (not because they are inferior in any way to Irish hospitals but just from a pure comfort perspective you'd always prefer to be close to home) I'd be prepared to do the holiday as there's always some risk you'll end up in a French hospital whilst there e.g. appendicitis, broken limb, car accident etc so for me Covid would be one more risk to add to the mix but only if the two Govts had deemed the risk low enough to ease the lock downs.

Lot's of if's and but's so we'd have to make a decision closer to the time on the prevailing facts at that time. For now our working assumption is we won't be going but these statements from Ursula Von Der Leyen are giving me hope, perhaps false hope :o

Quick question, is it really as hilly as it looks?

Our kids will be 4 & 5 next year and the profile of the site has put me off heretofore.

It is but also depends where your cabin is located.You can avoid the hills completely if you want.
    But to be honest ours have went since we had 2 buggys-(theyre 12 and 13 now) and its really manageable.

Definitely recommend it. This year will be (I hope) our 12th year there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Due to sail 28th June. Currently they are allowing rescheduling up to December for all and cancellation/credit for sailings up to 15th June. Sitting tight for the moment but do not intend to go. Hoping that date for credit is extended and we'll rebook for next year. If not then we only have deposit paid so far. Most facilities, including Bars & Club Class Lounge are closed on current salings.

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/top-10-faqs/coronavirus-covid-19/

It is but also depends where your cabin is located.You can avoid the hills completely if you want.
    But to be honest ours have went since we had 2 buggys-(theyre 12 and 13 now) and its really manageable.

Definitely recommend it. This year will be (I hope) our 12th year there.

Thanks for that info. Are the eurocamp pitches available on the lower parts of the site??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Yes due out first week in July and was supposed to go week before last too. We have a holiday home in Deux Sevres so no issue losing accommodation if we don't go and will always use the credit at some time in the future on the ferry but still uncertain if we will go and waiting to make a call in the next few weeks. Might push back into August or defer into next year. On our site the residents association yesterday gave an provisional date of June 1st for opening the pool

Advertisement