Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

peeps,
    going to France end of June.
    Do I need to do something to my headlights?

You need to buy this and fit them.

Also have a read of this as there are others laws in France that need to be adhered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Quazzie wrote: »

Also have a read of this as there are others laws in France that need to be adhered to.

nice one Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Quazzie wrote: »

You only need to fit them if your going to drive when its dark though. We never fitted ours and even when I got pulled in for speeding:eek:, the officer said there was no need.

You also don't need proof of ownership, we just told the officer, it makes it easier for the thieves if the car was stolen.

You don't need an Irl sticker either

Always keep a 100 cash on you, because they only accept cash and it has to be paid there and then, fine is 50 euro.
    If you don't have it on you, they bring you to an atm or take the car off you.

And if you do get pulled by the police there, just do what they say, don't argue. Guy behind us argued with them and they took the car off him

Breathalysers apparently aren't law again, think someone said that above

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

We're travelling on the oscar wilde in June, leaving on the 4.30pm sailing. I've booked the family meal deal. Does anyone know can we use this for breakfast the next morning or do we have to use it for dinner that evening? I was hoping to have a big lunch so not need much food that evening, but it would be good to occupy the kids in the morning with a sit-down breakfast.

If you can't, does anyone know the price of the breakfast - roughly?

thanks

alowe wrote: »
    We're travelling on the oscar wilde in June, leaving on the 4.30pm sailing. I've booked the family meal deal. Does anyone know can we use this for breakfast the next morning or do we have to use it for dinner that evening? I was hoping to have a big lunch so not need much food that evening, but it would be good to occupy the kids in the morning with a sit-down breakfast.

If you can't, does anyone know the price of the breakfast - roughly?

thanks

Don't know if you can use it or not, why not ring or email them.

If your going to get a feed before you get on boat, ie in a pub or something, it might cost more than your meal deal ?

Also if its going to be rough your better off getting it before hand as the kids will struggle.

The bistro is reasonable enough in fairness, can't remember the cost the last time, but was ok.

To entertain the kids bring some new small toys. Smyths have a deal now on 2 for 20 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

Hi all, just wondering if many have been here before? We're heading soon enough and just curious as to any good spots to stop for a bite to eat or stretch the legs a bit? We'd prefer not a huge city that we've to try get around as the journey down is long enough, but any info would be great
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Can't give any advice, but i'm hoping to go here next year so would love to hear what you thought of it on your return :-)

O definitely will let you know. I see they have just opened a new water area indoors so will be great if the weather is 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

dobad wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if many have been here before? We're heading soon enough and just curious as to any good spots to stop for a bite to eat or stretch the legs a bit? We'd prefer not a huge city that we've to try get around as the journey down is long enough, but any info would be great
    Thanks

I know it sounds very un French but if you're travelling with kids and just want to get the journey done and dusted as quickly and as comfortably as possible McDonalds can be a great choice. There are lots of them on the Roscoff/Cherbourg -> Rennes -> Nantes motorway route, they have excellent facilities, are easy to enter, park and exit from and whilst the food is nothing to write home about it's familiar and won't make the kids car sick.

Having done the trip to Jard sur Mer, St Jean de Monts and La Palmyre etc over the last 6-7 years with two kids in tow doing a pit stop in McDonalds on the way down is now standard for us. It ticks the box and we make up for the poor quality food by having a really nice meal in the campsite restaurant or local town the night we arrive.

Great sounds like a plan. Thanks very much

• Advertisement

I know I seen this somewhere but I can't seem to find the list.
    We have high vis each, small first kit, triangle...what else are the compulsory items? Were heading soon so need get this sorted. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I've heard you now need to carry a breathalyser kit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

No need for breathalyser.

RSA will send you free hi viz vests:

http://rsa.pmms.ie/ProductMoreInfo.aspx?ProductID=HIVISVESTS

Beam benders for headlights are important too. If you wear glasses then a spare pair are supposed to be in the car. I keep some disposable contacts handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The hi-viz requirement says that the driver's jacket must be in the cab, not the boot, this is so that if you have a breakdown, you can put the jacket on before you get out. When you hire cars in France there is always one hi-viz jacket in the glove box, I don't think there is a requirement in France that you have one for all of your passengers.

I believe they've done away with the breathalyzer nonsense, they're pretty useless anyway, just a tube with crystals that the cops here used to use long ago on the initial roadside test.

I've driven several times in France, my own car and hired cars and never been stopped, they've never even wanted to see my passport when I was driving off the ferry, let alone inspect my hi-viz jacket!

Thanks all, that aa link didn't work so will look up thanks, I didn't know they had a list.
    Would you need those headlight things if standard normal bulbs in lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Thanks all, that aa link didn't work so will look up thanks, I didn't know they had a list.
    Would you need those headlight things if standard normal bulbs in lights?

Yes because our lights dip to the left(on our left hand drive roads-into the ditch) which are directly into drivers eyes when we drive on the wrong(right hand) side of the road.

The type of bulbs make no difference, on some higher specced cars you can change a setting and move the bulbs-fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

You don't mention what direction you're travelling. If we are travelling from Roscoff, we normally stop in vannes. Just at the exit of the motorway there is a Carrefour, shopping centre, McDonald's (not under the same roof). There are other shops, bakeries etc here also. We get our supplies here so we arrive at the campsite stocked up. It's about halfway down and it's easy to get on and off the motorway. I love les sables d'olonne, we've been on a good few day trips there. The beach is brilliant.

Great thanks. I'll pick up those tomorrow, so is it def then we don't need breathalyser

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Great thanks. I'll pick up those tomorrow, so is it def then we don't need breathalyser

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.htm

Excerpt from the above link as follows...

Breathalysers
    1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

July 2015 - the drink drive limit for novice drivers (less than three years driving experience) has been reduced to 0.02%, the same level as that applied to bus/coach drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We've been over and back for a long time and what I've noticed is that only people flaunting speed zones or driving poorly are stopped and given a hard time, they get real anal about stuff if your a dick head, I've read instances where they consider the POI's for speed cameras as an offense and issue fines. I think they can also issue a €25 fine in place of having a breathalyzer in the car..

Have your viz vests (we carry one for all four of us) stuffed under a seat in the car in a bag. Halfords etc do packs of spare bulbs, but in fairness on my wifes car it takes the mechanic 30minutes in the garage to replace a bulb so not all cars can be done roadside. Have your lights sheilded as they seriously dazzle drivers. Keep back window clear and have tyres etc all in good shape.
    I recommend a good map along with sat-nav, I still find the sat-nav will make poor choices on routes and take you down a country lane off a decent road to save half kilometer or 10 minutes. Also one year our 2 year old sat-nav died just 10 minutes off the ferry. We tow a caravan so like to be sure the route is suitable ourselves.

Driving in France is easy, their general standard of driving and standard of roads/signage is way above ours, its a breath of fresh air really.

I'm so sad not to be going this year, first in 14 we've missed, but we were in China over easter so savings all gone for this year..

Happy traveling..

Everybody thanks so much. I've just ordered those hi vis jackets and I'll pick up those headlight things and breathalyzers so. Be great to get sorted. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Everybody thanks so much. I've just ordered those hi vis jackets and I'll pick up those headlight things and breathalyzers so. Be great to get sorted. Thanks again

If you're really determined to get the breathalyzers, they are €6 for a pair in Halfords, do not wait to buy them on the ferry where I believe they cost a lot more as people who leave that type of thing to the last minute tend to get screwed as it becomes a panic purchase.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/breathalysers/alcosense-single-use-nf-breathalyser-twin-pack

But Decoda has posted above to the effect that you do not need them, that may have been lost in the haze of too much information.

Ok thanks, yeah I do think I misread that post,will look again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check to see if your lights have a flat beam before buying beam benders, my car and bike are both flat, by shinning them onto a wall. You'll easily notice if they have flat beams. If they aren't flat Google your car to see if you can flip the beam. .

Don't bother with the breathalyzers they don't check for them and if you use them to see if you are safe to drive you then haven't got 2 breathalyzers.

Don't forget to get European recovery. It's expensive but much cheaper than trying to get a car back from the continent. Make sure that the car is serviced and that the tyres have enough thread for your trip.

Put a sticker on the windscreen to remind you to drive on the wrong side, when it's quite you might drive on the left.

You won't need the light beamers if your not driving in the dark also

I know it sounds very un French but if you're travelling with kids and just want to get the journey done and dusted as quickly and as comfortably as possible McDonalds can be a great choice. There are lots of them on the Roscoff/Cherbourg -> Rennes -> Nantes motorway route, they have excellent facilities, are easy to enter, park and exit from and whilst the food is nothing to write home about it's familiar and won't make the kids car sick.

Having done the trip to Jard sur Mer, St Jean de Monts and La Palmyre etc over the last 6-7 years with two kids in tow doing a pit stop in McDonalds on the way down is now standard for us. It ticks the box and we make up for the poor quality food by having a really nice meal in the campsite restaurant or local town the night we arrive.

Yeah same here, broke my heart to go in the first time, but its the only way really and its the holidays.

Weather like this just reminds me of France, counting down to July

webpal wrote: »
    You don't mention what direction you're travelling. If we are travelling from Roscoff, we normally stop in vannes. Just at the exit of the motorway there is a Carrefour, shopping centre, McDonald's (not under the same roof). There are other shops, bakeries etc here also. We get our supplies here so we arrive at the campsite stocked up. It's about halfway down and it's easy to get on and off the motorway. I love les sables d'olonne, we've been on a good few day trips there. The beach is brilliant.

Thanks very much for that, that's a great idea to stock up and everything so arriving with everything ready. Our first time going so I don't know if we'll be as organised to do this! But will aim for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Just researching hiring a car for 2 weeks in France, what websites, hire companies etc. do people find the best value?
    Only 2 of us goin so a mid size hatchback will be fine. I'm 25 and the other lad is 24, looking to put both of us being able to drive the car, looks very expensive once your under 25 though, is there any way of putting a persons own car insurance onto a hire car or anything like that?, complete newbie to hiring a car so any advice greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sweet Jesus you are in crepes country. We head over to France every summer and are working our way down South from Normandy. We always break our journey half way in a town and head for a creperie. Get a couple of savory crepes and a sweet one with cider for the adults and apple juice for junior. It doesn't cost that much more than McD's and it is so much tastier.

Advertisement