Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. Are the eurocamp pitches available on the lower parts of the site??

As far as I know they are.
    We use lifestyleholidays.co.uk who have pitches really kind of everywhere on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Quick question, is it really as hilly as it looks?

Our kids will be 4 & 5 next year and the profile of the site has put me off heretofore.

Hi there, just my 2 cents about CM. Went there late June last year, having holidayed in French campsites the previous 9 yrs. If ure on the bottom part you have a pool, bars and the main large excellent mercadona but you then have a steep hill to the main pool complex which gets incredibly busy and entertainment area which is fantastic and very reasonable. Table service for drinks is also a welcome bonus. Music goes on till 12 I think. GAA shown on big screen. Sunbeds have to be rented daily and most days are gone by 10am and is so frustrating when you see towels on them for hours but no one on them. If your near the main pool complex then you face the steep hill to the mercadona, L'estartit is a beautiful town with a fabulous beach & a bus brings you over and back for free. There is a 3rd pool which is small and has a little bar but is a real treck up. My kids are 15 +12 so the hills weren't that much of a problem. Main pool is really exposed to the sun and gets so hot, so we avoided it till the evening when it was cooler. Lots of irish on site judging by the o neill jerseys. This is just my opinion of the park and everybodys holiday needs are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

54and56 wrote: »
    Yep, due out the first week of July. Both ferries (IF out and Stena Back) plus campsite fully paid for. As a family we're resigned to the fact it's unlikely to happen but will be guided by the advice of both the Irish & French Govt's. If the Irish govt restrictions are lifted for non essential travel and the French Govt permits international tourists into France and to travel around without the current constraints (which CelticRambler detailed previously) we'll hit the road as planned in the knowledge it will likely be a restricted activity holiday (social distancing will make pool activity, playgrounds, restaurants and night time shows etc very difficult) but after 3-4 months stuck in the house even a restricted holiday rather than no holiday at all would be welcome providing the advice is it's safe to travel.

Until there's a vaccine there's going to be a continuing risk of catching Covid whether here or in France and whilst I wouldn't want any of the family to end up in a French hospital with it (not because they are inferior in any way to Irish hospitals but just from a pure comfort perspective you'd always prefer to be close to home) I'd be prepared to do the holiday as there's always some risk you'll end up in a French hospital whilst there e.g. appendicitis, broken limb, car accident etc so for me Covid would be one more risk to add to the mix but only if the two Govts had deemed the risk low enough to ease the lock downs.

Lot's of if's and but's so we'd have to make a decision closer to the time on the prevailing facts at that time. For now our working assumption is we won't be going but these statements from Ursula Von Der Leyen are giving me hope, perhaps false hope :o

Before we go I will want to know the following:
    - How will they handle the kids club?
    - How will they handle the crowds at the pool, kids got to be able to play
    - Nighttime entertainment for the kids, how will this be manage?

I honestly cant see there being a kids club or kids nighttime entertainment. And if the pool is limited, we won't be going. The holiday is for the kids too and if no fun for them, there is no point.

Also I will only allow them to use my money for next year if the booking is at the same price. Otherwise we won't pay anymore of the fee

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Does anyone know if Brittany ferries are de'ferry'ing the final payment for those who paid a deposit and are now close due for full payment for the summer sailing. Eurocamp deferred payment in a kick the can exercise which is probably the best way to do it IMO ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Hi All, This is my first time posting in this thread even though I have been following it for years.
    We were due to go to France for our holidays during Mid-June. We have the holiday booked through Eurocamp. The balance of the holiday was originally to be paid during mid-march but due to Covid-19 it was extended to the 2nd May.
    I have only paid €99 deposit so far. I have sent Eurocamp an email requesting to cancel the holiday. Today I noticed on their website it states that normal cancellation charges apply - Does this mean that I will still have to pay 50% of the holiday cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hi All, This is my first time posting in this thread even though I have been following it for years.
    We were due to go to France for our holidays during Mid-June. We have the holiday booked through Eurocamp. The balance of the holiday was originally to be paid during mid-march but due to Covid-19 it was extended to the 2nd May.
    I have only paid €99 deposit so far. I have sent Eurocamp an email requesting to cancel the holiday. Today I noticed on their website it states that normal cancellation charges apply - Does this mean that I will still have to pay 50% of the holiday cost?

Yes and no. I contacted them about this. You could say that technically you owe them 50% as you've gone beyond 12 weeks but they won't actually chase you for it - don't see how they could TBH as I don't think they do direct debit.

what about the ferry? you paid this in full or deposit?

rightmove wrote: »
    what about the ferry? you paid this in full or deposit?

Hi, I have just paid a deposit for the ferry. The balance wasn't due to be paid until early May.
    I emailed Irish ferries (over 1 week ago) requesting 'cancellation and credit' which is in their Covid 19 update.. its for customers who would have been sailing before 15th June (which we were) it states that customers who wish to cancel their booking for travel up to the 15th June can do so, and receive a credit (linked to the original booking reference) for use on a future booking for travel anytime up to the end of 2021.
    The problem with Irish Ferries is that they are so busy/skeleton staff that they have still not answered my email...I dont want them to charge the full amount to my credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruby00

Hi
    I called Irish ferries yesterday got through straight away. No problem changing €100 deposit to credit for next year. Was due to sail early june. Had emailed earlier in week but no reply. So call them is my advice

Ruby00 wrote: »
    Hi
    I called Irish ferries yesterday got through straight away. No problem changing €100 deposit to credit for next year. Was due to sail early june. Had emailed earlier in week but no reply. So call them is my advice

Thanks for this....I was reluctant to phone them as I thought their lines would be so busy. Got through to them quick enough and the deposit paid has been changed to credit for 2021.:D

(fingers crossed Eurocamp will be just as easy to deal with)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Ruby00 wrote: »
    Hi

There will be many more of us who are due to travel with IF after the 15th June. I hope they are ready for the deluge of calls and emails! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Latest Eurocamp "update". Same as last weeks advice.

https://www.eurocamp.ie/information/coronavirus-update

"Updated: 24th April 2020 | 08:15
    We are keeping a close eye on developments associated with the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), with the health and safety of our customers and our employees as our priority. Currently the DFA advises against all non-essential overseas travel due to the coronavirus outbreak.

We have now postponed the opening of our parcs until 15th May at the earliest, and some parcs have also delayed their opening date beyond this. We will continue to review the dates for all parcs, following all government and public health advice to help combat this pandemic. Any affected customers will be contacted as quickly as possible in departure date order. We aim to do so 2 weeks before your departure date, unless your parc has confirmed a longer delay.

In the interest of the health and safety of our staff and the wider community, and following the advice of the Irish Government, our office is currently closed.

We do have a small team working from home, but we are not currently accepting any calls or operating live chat. To give us the opportunity to assist customers in departure date order, if you need to contact us please email us at cork@eurocamp.ie, but please be aware that our response times will be much slower than usual right now. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have questions about your situation, please review our answers to some common questions below."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just curious what would have to happen for some people to go on holidays?

I’d written off my trip in February but there is a part of me that would love to go.

Things I just can’t resolve

- if somebody gets sick over there, could be weeks stuck there if they get a bad dose
    - small but concerning chance you could be stuck on a ferry
    - how do you social distance responsibly, particularly in an enclosed resort ?
    - what activities (kids clubs etc) will make the holiday less relevant/fun for kids
    - what if things get worse in France/Ireland while abroad (Possibly stuck in France?!)

I’m beginning to think that I’m better off remaining in Ireland and maybe even just going down to Kerry for a week or something like that.

anybody got update from brittany ferries. There bookings number is suspended so cannot ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Some of the stuff people are putting up here is unbelievable! The sense of entitlement that you have to be able to go on holiday is just unreal. Absolute selfishness and disregard for the safety of others and the work that is being done not only here in Ireland but across Europe and the world to try and sort the crisis we find ourselves in. Just suck it up and cancel your holiday ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Some of the stuff people are putting up here is unbelievable! The sense of entitlement that you have to be able to go on holiday is just unreal. Absolute selfishness and disregard for the safety of others and the work that is being done not only here in Ireland but across Europe and the world to try and sort the crisis we find ourselves in. Just suck it up and cancel your holiday ffs!

Easy enough saying that if you haven't 1500 euro paid over, people are entitled to try and salvage their deposit, or get it transferred to next year.
    Remember, we aren't going to eliminate Covid19, this is just to space out the critical hospital admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Easy enough saying that if you haven't 1500 euro paid over, people are entitled to try and salvage their deposit, or get it transferred to next year.

It's about minimising financial loss for us now so that we may get to travel again when possible.

I think you are way off the mark. Most people here won't travel unless safe and given the all clear. Most are trying to see if they can push everything out to next year.

The selfishness you talk about are the airlines that will fly no matter what in the summer so not give money back to the people and the people breaking the lockdown rules right now.

Most people here, work hard all year and the holiday is their reward for their family and themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Get down from your perch!

Very few of any have said that they are going on holidays this year. Most are concerned about refunds etc and everybody is entitled to feel a bit down about missing summer holidays.

Even those that have said they’d still go have indicated that it would all depend on the respective government advice both at home and the country of their destination.

There are far too many self opinionated individuals looking down their noses at others at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Paid the final instalment to yelloh this afternoon. We have cancellation insurance, which we intend to use even if the site is open at this stage, if they won't let us transfer to next year. We're both unlikely to get the time off now anyway, which is one of the cancellations allowable under the insurance, albeit with a 25% hit.

• Advertisement

Get down from your perch!

Very few of any have said that they are going on holidays this year. Most are concerned about refunds etc and everybody is entitled to feel a bit down about missing summer holidays.

Even those that have said they’d still go have indicated that it would all depend on the respective government advice both at home and the country of their destination.

There are far too many self opinionated individuals looking down their noses at others at the moment.

Not on any perch Gavlor. We're in the same boat (excuse the pun) as many here and have cancelled our holiday at a cost that we could well do without. We work as hard and deserve our break as much as anyone. Our son is working directly on the front line not too far from where you're situated yourself and he's relayed first hand experience of what this thing is about. I just feel that for this year people should just accept that travel such as this is not on and take any unnecessary risk out of the equation.

And you know at the end of the day I hope I'll be proven completely wrong on this and that those who've hung on to the last minute get to have the holiday of their lives because it'll mean that this virus is under control and life is back to something close to normal again.

Not on any perch Gavlor. We're in the same boat (excuse the pun) as many here and have cancelled our holiday at a cost that we could well do without. We work as hard and deserve our break as much as anyone. Our son is working directly on the front line not too far from where you're situated yourself and he's relayed first hand experience of what this thing is about. I just feel that for this year people should just accept that travel such as this is not on and take any unnecessary risk out of the equation.

And you know at the end of the day I hope I'll be proven completely wrong on this and that those who've hung on to the last minute get to have the holiday of their lives because it'll mean that this virus is under control and life is back to something close to normal again.

If people want to hold on to some little hope to get through this, there is no harm.

If we dont have hope there is no point

If people want to hold on to some little hope to get through this, there is no harm.

If we dont have hope there is no point

Can't disagree with that.

I admit I was blunt earlier but with my son heading to work covered from head to toe in PPE some days I suppose I can be a bit more harsh than I should be. I apologise for offence caused.

I admit I was blunt earlier but with my son heading to work covered from head to toe in PPE some days I suppose I can be a bit more harsh than I should be. I apologise for offence caused.

But that is understandable, it has to ge very tough and worrying for you. Better to let it out than hold it in

But that is understandable, it has to ge very tough and worrying for you. Better to let it out than hold it in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don’t mess with people missing out on holidays!

Pass my regards to your son, I’m guessing he’s a young man so it’s some intro to a working life for him.

Gavlor wrote:
    Don’t mess with people missing out on holidays!

Gavlor wrote:
    Pass my regards to your son, I’m guessing he’s a young man so it’s some intro to a working life for him.

Thanks Gavlor, I will. He's a third year nursing student. They were asked to volunteer and he did. Steep learning curve! We've seen him once since this thing began, for a socially distant Easter Sunday dinner. Hard going on people in all walks of life I suppose. Nobody is unaffected by this in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Thanks Gavlor, I will. He's a third year nursing student. They were asked to volunteer and he did. Steep learning curve! We've seen him once since this thing began, for a socially distant Easter Sunday dinner. Hard going on people in all walks of life I suppose. Nobody is unaffected by this in some way.

I don't know you or your son but I would just like to say thank you to him, via yourself if that's ok, and also to hope you all keep safe.

Westgolf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What is the current situation with Brittany Ferries bookings - apologies if I've missed posts re it? We're not actually using them, but they're telling in laws that they'll be taking remaining 50% of fare shortly, and if they cancel before that they lose the 50% they've paid already. Can't get through to them on phone

• Advertisement

What is the current situation with Brittany Ferries bookings - apologies if I've missed posts re it? We're not actually using them, but they're telling in laws that they'll be taking remaining 50% of fare shortly, and if they cancel before that they lose the 50% they've paid already. Can't get through to them on phone

same issue here. I refused to pay 50% up front at the time but paid a large deposit regardless. The phone is down and currently I have no indication they are going to defer final payment. If you cancel you will lose the 50% in your case. You have to play cat and mouse for them to cancel to get your cash back but that will mean handing them 100%. Also say if they go ahead and you dont want to go to a campsite that you cant use anything in. Will they offer deferral til next year etc. If you can find more information please let us know here.

Advertisement