Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablor101

In same boat :) with Brittany ferries. Booked and paid 50% long before covid. Now want rest. Bit of a predicament as if pay remaining 50% they will allow change dates but not refunding... Irish ferries are refunding. Little option I think but to pay so can defer otherwise as you outlined lose deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah thought that may be the case. It's actually my in laws going, not me. Balance (€700) due Tuesday. Have advised them to pay balance and reschedule for next year (and prepare for the inevitable price increase), but hope Brittany cancel the sailing (end June so quite possible) and they get a refund......or more likely, voucher and be caught as above!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Pablor101 wrote: »
    In same boat :) with Brittany ferries. Booked and paid 50% long before covid. Now want rest. Bit of a predicament as if pay remaining 50% they will allow change dates but not refunding... Irish ferries are refunding. Little option I think but to pay so can defer otherwise as you outlined lose deposit.

few qq: Why are irish ferries refunding and brittany not.? Bit like the AL and ryanair saga.

if you pay in full can you reschedule to next year or just later in the year?

If they cancel they have to refund - its in the t&c's

all in all BF have not been great at creating a roadmap for its customers

Yeah thought that may be the case. It's actually my in laws going, not me. Balance (€700) due Tuesday. Have advised them to pay balance and reschedule for next year (and prepare for the inevitable price increase), but hope Brittany cancel the sailing (end June so quite possible) and they get a refund......or more likely, voucher and be caught as above!

thanks - that helps me. My balance is alot more as I refused to pay the large deposit but its still enough to throw all the chips in rather then loose it.

rightmove wrote: »
    few qq: Why are irish ferries refunding and brittany not.? Bit like the AL and ryanair saga.

if you pay in full can you reschedule to next year or just later in the year?

If they cancel they have to refund - its in the t&c's

all in all BF have not been great at creating a roadmap for its customers

I haven't seen the t&cs but according to the chap involved the standard fare allows you (even before the Covid-19 lark) to cancel without penalty up to two weeks before travel and receive a voucher to the value valid for two years so not too bad.

Yes, the company should refund if they cancel, but I'd practically guarantee they'll give a voucher instead - witness virtually every other travel company doing this in complete violation of the law, and being aided and abetted by governments.

• Advertisement

thanks - that helps me. My balance is alot more as I refused to pay the large deposit but its still enough to throw all the chips in rather then loose it.

Yeah, balls. I'm in roughly the same position with Eurocamp - deposit paid (for our first ever campsite holiday!) which we'll lose if we don't pay balance - but it's only €100 so happy enough to let it go.

I haven't seen the t&cs but according to the chap involved the standard fare allows you (even before the Covid-19 lark) to cancel without penalty up to two weeks before travel and receive a voucher to the value valid for two years so not too bad.

Yes, the company should refund if they cancel, but I'd practically guarantee they'll give a voucher instead - witness virtually every other travel company doing this in complete violation of the law, and being aided and abetted by governments.

thanks for both those points. didnt know the first one and on your second point I think you are correct also.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I got an email response from Brittany Ferries to say I can either cancel and lose 50% deposit or amend the booking up to 12 months from the outward journey.

The 12 month amendment rule doesnt make sense as it only allows for the outward date, not the return date. So we were meant to go first week of July - it means we would need to return latest the first week of July 2021.

Treviso wrote: »
    I got an email response from Brittany Ferries to say I can either cancel and lose 50% deposit or amend the booking up to 12 months from the outward journey.

The 12 month amendment rule doesnt make sense as it only allows for the outward date, not the return date. So we were meant to go first week of July - it means we would need to return latest the first week of July 2021.

That doesnt make sense. Surely they build the return date in as a given or maybe not ..youd have to go 2 weeks earlier then. Can you ask them if the outward journey is the target date only and return is a given?

That doesnt make sense. Surely they build the return date in as a given or maybe not ..youd have to go 2 weeks earlier then. Can you ask them if the outward journey is the target date only and return is a given?

Yea already asked, return date has to be the outward journey. Makes no sense to me either. Will try again in a week or two, might change their policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Not to me ! Credit note only which means losing consumer protection rights and becoming an unsecured creditor. Heading to credit card company....not expecting anything fast but...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Have done 5 trips to France in the 8 years so I still have some interest in this thread. For a change this year, we opted to go somewhere different - ended up booking an all inclusive trip to Bulgaria in mid August.

We've found ourselves in a similar situation. We've a €500 deposit paid and have to clear the balance of €3500 in the next few weeks. We've already decided that given the all the uncertainty we're just going to write off our €500 deposit and just leave it for this year.

Be under no illusions, €500 is a lot of money for me but I'm not spending any more than I have to at the moment. I understand that TUI, who we've booked with, are deferring bookings to 2021 if you've paid more than the deposit. But there's no way I'm tying up cash for 12 months when I have no idea what my financial circumstances will be in 3 months time.

If we were going to France we'd be doing the exact same thing. Just write it off - there's enough to be worrying about at the moment.

sceach16 wrote: »
    Not to me ! Credit note only which means losing consumer protection rights and becoming an unsecured creditor. Heading to credit card company....not expecting anything fast but...

Have sent an email to BFerries- will prob pay remaining balance to to argue full refund if/when they cancel sailing-

Ref
    Regulation (EU) No 1177/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 November 2010 concerning the rights of passengers when travelling by sea and inland waterway and amending Regulation (EC) No 2006/2004 is relevant for such instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

French campsites seem adamant that they will be open by end of May.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

French campsites seem adamant that they will be open by end of May.

There's open and there's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

For anybody with Eurocamp, this may be of interest (and apologies if it was posted before) -

We were due to travel to Domaine des Ormes in early to mid June. Had just paid the €99 deposit and balance was due today. Mailed them Friday morning to cancel the booking, expecting that we'd lose the deposit. However, they've mailed back to say that the deposit can be held as credit towards a future booking, so long as the future booking is before the end of September 2021.

So all going well, we'll get to use it next year instead. Am guessing the same would apply to anybody who's already paid larger sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

For anybody with Eurocamp, this may be of interest (and apologies if it was posted before) -

We were due to travel to Domaine des Ormes in early to mid June. Had just paid the €99 deposit and balance was due today. Mailed them Friday morning to cancel the booking, expecting that we'd lose the deposit. However, they've mailed back to say that the deposit can be held as credit towards a future booking, so long as the future booking is before the end of September 2021.

So all going well, we'll get to use it next year instead. Am guessing the same would apply to anybody who's already paid larger sums.

Thanks for that.
    We will be doing this so.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Thanks for the update.
    We have a booking with Domaine des Ormes for July. I thought they might be very helpful and generous as they have so many repeat customers.

Are you planning to cancel this summers holiday and move it to next summer?

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Are you planning to cancel this summers holiday and move it to next summer?

We won't be going this Summer. Was meant to be Italy with Eurocamp. 2021 is back to France on the Ferry so will ask Eurocamp to move the €99 to be the Deposit for that trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We won't be going this Summer. Was meant to be Italy with Eurocamp. 2021 is back to France on the Ferry so will ask Eurocamp to move the €99 to be the Deposit for that trip.

We are still holding out for July. Maybe moving to August but it is looking less and less likely at this stage.

What is the point of a holiday without kids clubs, swimming pool, games rooms, hotel bar, restaurants etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hmmm
    I was in same position cancelling des menhirs (carnac) last week, sure to arrive 7th June and was told that unfortunately my deposit would be lost as per standard cancellation policy.

I've accepted writing off the €99 under current circumstances, but obviously I'd prefer the 99 of future holiday of available.
    I also contacted via email.

Deeman83 wrote: »

What is the point of a holiday without kids clubs, swimming pool, games rooms, hotel bar, restaurants etc.?

Agree. We only go to Campsites because the kids love them especially the pools and making friends and using the sports and games facilities with them and each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

France are due to announce the next steps towards relaxing restrictions tomorrow at some stage.

I’d imagine Eurocamp etc will be up the walls dealing with cancellations/reschedulings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hmmm
    I was in same position cancelling des menhirs (carnac) last week, sure to arrive 7th June and was told that unfortunately my deposit would be lost as per standard cancellation policy.

I've accepted writing off the €99 under current circumstances, but obviously I'd prefer the 99 of future holiday of available.
    I also contacted via email.

Well, my full story is...first mail I got back noted the cancellation request, and said we'd be at the loss of the €99 booking deposit.

I mailed back (very friendly tone) to say that's as we expected, thanks very much anyway, and the whole thing is a real pity because we were very much looking forward to it, but in the circumstances we feel a holiday then is really not a runner. Like yourself, we were due to arrive June 7th.

They then mailed back again to say they could keep the €99 as credit towards a future booking. We just have to go ahead and make another booking the normal way (i.e. pay another deposit), then contact them with the reference number for the booking we've now cancelled, and they'll put that €99 against the balance of that second booking.

Maybe my follow-up mail made some difference, and maybe it's worth trying yourself.

Remember....be nice! :)

Yea already asked, return date has to be the outward journey. Makes no sense to me either. Will try again in a week or two, might change their policy

given the current circumstance I think BF would hold onto alot more booking if they extended the alterations policy to 14 months or 13 months (as opposed to 12) allowing ppl to get there original slot but a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

This is the reply i got from BF.

If we have to cancel your sailing due to the current crises you would receive the full amount back in a voucher form, which would be valid for 2 years.
    If this does happen we will contact you directly.
    At the moment on our system we only have dates available until the end of October. You could change your sailing date to a date before the end of October. Then when our 2021 schedule is released, which is usually around July, you must then contact us and we could move your date to one in 2021.
    However please be advised you can only change your sailing date to a date within 1 year of your original sailing date. Therefore if you were to change it to a date in 2021 you would have to be back from your trip before the 27/06/21."

I dont know why they are limiting rescheduling to one year...

This is the reply i got from BF.

If we have to cancel your sailing due to the current crises you would receive the full amount back in a voucher form, which would be valid for 2 years.
    If this does happen we will contact you directly.
    At the moment on our system we only have dates available until the end of October. You could change your sailing date to a date before the end of October. Then when our 2021 schedule is released, which is usually around July, you must then contact us and we could move your date to one in 2021.
    However please be advised you can only change your sailing date to a date within 1 year of your original sailing date. Therefore if you were to change it to a date in 2021 you would have to be back from your trip before the 27/06/21."

I dont know why they are limiting rescheduling to one year...

I understand that they need to put a time limit on it, but it should be 12 months from the date you return - not when you sail out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Says above that voucher is valid for 2 years?

Also, wonder where things stand in terms of insurance claim if you are given a voucher. Can you turn down voucher and get cash from insurance company instead?

We're going out with BF, home with IF plus booked on two different camp sites, so have paid out €1200 in deposits alone.

Not going until first two weeks in August, so not due to make another payment until early June.

I understand that they need to put a time limit on it, but it should be 12 months from the date you return - not when you sail out

Got same email today. Wife a teacher so can’t go any early-seems crazy and pissing people off unnecessarily- effectively to get two your credit need to pay in full and wait to see if bf have to cancel.

I literally need the next 3 weeks from the year due to teacher school term. Have stopped final payment (must decide 40days before sailing) for now but I have these options:
    1. Defer with 50% paid to a date next year which won’t suit as limited to 1 yr.
    2. Lose booking deposit walk away and never travel with BF again.
    3. Pay up balance and await for cancellation or whatever evolves with restrictions etc.

I think have little choice however if they were a bit more forward thinking extent the year as stated above to 14 mths or 24nths. They still get business keep people happy and will travel again with them.

Very poor customer service..

• Advertisement

Got same email today. Wife a teacher so can’t go any early-seems crazy and pissing people off unnecessarily- effectively to get two your credit need to pay in full and wait to see if bf have to cancel.

I literally need the next 3 weeks from the year due to teacher school term. Have stopped final payment (must decide 40days before sailing) for now but I have these options:
    1. Defer with 50% paid to a date next year which won’t suit as limited to 1 yr.
    2. Lose booking deposit walk away and never travel with BF again.
    3. Pay up balance and await for cancellation or whatever evolves with restrictions etc.

I think have little choice however if they were a bit more forward thinking extent the year as stated above to 14 mths or 24nths. They still get business keep people happy and will travel again with them.

Very poor customer service..

maybe we should all just email them as tell them they will get final payment on condition we can change the booking to allow us to alter for 14 not 12 months

Advertisement