Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Hi guys

Eurocamp.
    Has anyone actually rescheduled to 2021 yet ? Are the Prices out yet for 2021 ?
    We have a pre-registration for 2021 done.

We are due to pay our balance soon but want to ask them to move our deposit to 2021 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Eurocamp.
    Has anyone actually rescheduled to 2021 yet ? Are the Prices out yet for 2021 ?
    We have a pre-registration for 2021 done.

We are due to pay our balance soon but want to ask them to move our deposit to 2021 instead.

Prices etc won’t be released for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

france were making some announcement today on lockdown roadmap. Anyone have any updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

rightmove wrote: »
    france were making some announcement today on lockdown roadmap. Anyone have any updates

Was due to be at 3pm French time so will be later today before updates filter through

https://www.france24.com/en/20200428-live-pm-philippe-unveils-france-s-plan-to-ease-covid-19-lockdown

Live on Sky 521 (France24)

Bullet points so far for those interested;

It's time to ease the lockdown...

...risk of second wave of virus is serious

we must learn to live with the virus and learn to protect ourselves...

...masks will be a prerequisite for resumption of business. Importing 100 million masks a week now...

...France is far from having achieved herd immunity. Ambitious testing, tracking & isolation policy...

...limitations to "Stop-Covid" mobile app...cannot be debated yet...

Planning step by step relaxation...department by department...but if indicators are not right on May 11th it may not happen...

If indicators are right, which is expected, relaxation will be phased, in three week steps - First phase including monitoring 11th May to June 2nd

All stores, except coffee shops & restaurants, can reopen on 11th May subject to social distancing being maintained. Paris Metro will be operating at 70% from May. Football season will not resume. All sport banned until September.....

Travel outside the home will be extended to 100km radius without the need for forms.

Nothing on international travel as yet.

• Advertisement

Does not appear to have been any announcement on international travel.

The ban on gatherings of ten or more people, whether indoors or outdoors, remains in place.

Assmuming the lockdown relaxation is in three phases as mooted, Phase 1 will be May 11th to June 2nd, Phase 2 until towards end of June with Phase three running to mid-July.

That would indicate that unrestricted travel, even for French nationals, is unlikely before mid-July at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

fdevine wrote: »
    Does not appear to have been any announcement on international travel.

The ban on gatherings of ten or more people, whether indoors or outdoors, remains in place.

Assmuming the lockdown relaxation is in three phases as mooted, Phase 1 will be May 11th to June 2nd, Phase 2 until towards end of June with Phase three running to mid-July.

That would indicate that unrestricted travel, even for French nationals, is unlikely before mid-July at the earliest.

so am I jumping the gun in saying BF will need to cancel sailing probably until mid july? - I know you can only give your opinion here.

rightmove wrote: »
    so am I jumping the gun in saying BF will need to cancel sailing probably until mid july? - I know you can only give your opinion here.

In my opinion that is what should be happening. That's not to say that's what will happen.

Irish Ferries have been allowing for cancellation/amendment/credit/deferral for sailings up to 15th June. Now expecting (& hoping) that gets pushed into July.

Similarily with Eurocamp, although their advice up to know was only regarding parks being closed until 14th May.

Thankfully I have only deposits on both but would rather the money in my pocket or as security/deposit against next summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Maxpower15

I'm in the same boat (ho hó) as many here in regards bookings and payment. They want the balance this Friday and only then will they discuss cancellation etc...

I'm leaning towards forgetting about the deposit of 200 we've paid as I think it's a fair chance they'll go bust in a few weeks and leave customers in a bad spot.

Margins are small in that business and the vast majority of people aren't going to travel this summer. Too risky for me to be giving them another 980 euro that might well disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

In the grand scheme of things, be lucky you are only down 200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Maxpower15 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat (ho hó) as many here in regards bookings and payment. They want the balance this Friday and only then will they discuss cancellation etc...

I'm leaning towards forgetting about the deposit of 200 we've paid as I think it's a fair chance they'll go bust in a few weeks and leave customers in a bad spot.

Margins are small in that business and the vast majority of people aren't going to travel this summer. Too risky for me to be giving them another 980 euro that might well disappear.

Who are you concerned about going bust, IF or BF?

I am hoping the Irish government will not allow IF to go bust and will bail them out if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries or Eurocamp going bust ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

I have both IF and Yelloh balances of payment due by the end of the week.
    I've paid a €100 to IF, but looks like I can get that a credit on that for next year.
    Yelloh are doing the 'well be open and ready for you' approach once we know when we can open. Nothing else coming from them on credit etc. Trouble is it like a game or roulette you have to keep paying in to either travel (and what would a holiday in mid-June look like), get whatever canceallation option they give if they do not open or the travel insurances to kickin.

I think I'll cancel IF (€100) and see how I go with Yelloh (€350). As a poster said about you could keep paying and they go bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We'd paid off IF already. Hard to see them going bust, tbh, due to freight requirements/ supply chain etc. If they don't survive I'd imagine a bail out.

We also sucked up paying the final payment to Yelloh. We have cancellation insurance, so will be enacting that one way or the other. We made the decision to pay, as we'd paid two thirds already.

Regarding places going bust - hard to see IF being allowed. Also I think French Government will step in to protect the tourist industry. I guess it might depend on whether the payment is to Yelloh or to the campsite via Yelloh, and how that works in the background. I'd have the resellers more vulnerable than the actual campsites tbh.

I think whatever for this year and refunds I think we'll be saving and paying much later in future years. That's where a lot of companies could get into trouble, especially if they don't look after people now. We've already discussed whether early prices were worth it.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    We'd paid off IF already. Hard to see them going bust, tbh, due to freight requirements/ supply chain etc. If they don't survive I'd imagine a bail out.

We also sucked up paying the final payment to Yelloh. We have cancellation insurance, so will be enacting that one way or the other. We made the decision to pay, as we'd paid two thirds already.

Regarding places going bust - hard to see IF being allowed. Also I think French Government will step in to protect the tourist industry. I guess it might depend on whether the payment is to Yelloh or to the campsite via Yelloh, and how that works in the background. I'd have the resellers more vulnerable than the actual campsites tbh.

I think whatever for this year and refunds I think we'll be saving and paying much later in future years. That's where a lot of companies could get into trouble, especially if they don't look after people now. We've already discussed whether early prices were worth it.

I've the cancellation insurance with Yelloh, do you reckon you can just cancel or need an underlying reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

bifl wrote: »
    I've the cancellation insurance with Yelloh, do you reckon you can just cancel or need an underlying reason.

All depends on the T&C's in the policy document. Lot's of "Travel Insurance" products sold here (particularly the cheaper ones) are very bare bones and exclude reasons such as "pandemics". If you wanted that coverage it was an optional extra you had to pay more for.

It may also depend on who your policy is with. My reading of the emergency French legislation (based on what was posted here previously) is that the new legislation trumps any other contract terms you may have had relating to French holidays so despite having cancellation clauses the new legislation makes it illegal for holiday providers to give cash refunds, they are only permitted to give credit vouchers which if not used for (IIRC) 2 years are then automatically refunded in cash.

This is designed to protect the operators balance sheets and give them cover with their customers i.e. they can say they'd love to give you a refund per the terms of the agreement or cancellation policy but under the new legislation they are banned from doing so.

bifl wrote: »
    Last time I checked, they needed medical confirmation for COVID19, and then they need it officially on headed paper based upon no longer being granted annual leave.

But as 54and56 says may be trumped anyway. We'd prefer the money in our pocket than theirs, but ultimately we hope to go next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

This is the reply i got from BF.

If we have to cancel your sailing due to the current crises you would receive the full amount back in a voucher form, which would be valid for 2 years.
    If this does happen we will contact you directly.
    At the moment on our system we only have dates available until the end of October. You could change your sailing date to a date before the end of October. Then when our 2021 schedule is released, which is usually around July, you must then contact us and we could move your date to one in 2021.
    However please be advised you can only change your sailing date to a date within 1 year of your original sailing date. Therefore if you were to change it to a date in 2021 you would have to be back from your trip before the 27/06/21."

I dont know why they are limiting rescheduling to one year...

I have re-checked with BF about this 1 year policy. They have said its being looked at by the directors and should know in a few weeks if there will be a change.
    To be fair to BF we were due to pay the remainder of the fare last week, but they removed our credit card so no payment was taken & that we were to check back with them 40 days before sailing - bought us 4 weeks i guess.
    The way its looking the campsite maybe open but i dont think it will be a great holiday if we have to practice social distancing, which will be the case no matter what.

The way its looking the campsite maybe open but i dont think it will be a great holiday if we have to practice social distancing, which will be the case no matter what.
    Campsites may be open, but quite likely it seems for their to be either French or Irish (or both) Travel restrictions still in place until well into July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Campsites may be open, but quite likely it seems for their to be either French or Irish (or both) Travel restrictions still in place until well into July.

Campsites will be open. But the pool and bar might well be closed. That way the campsite can keep deposits if and when you don't turn up. Something like that is quite likely to happen.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Campsites will be open. But the pool and bar might well be closed. That way the campsite can keep deposits if and when you don't turn up. Something like that is quite likely to happen.

I could honestly deal with that. Days spent at the beach instead of the pool and evenings spent cooking onsite and going to whatever restaurants (if any) are open locally would work very well for us.

It wouldn't be the normal holiday experience but relative to getting a 2-3 week break from lockdown in our house, especially after 3-4 months of same, it might well be a welcome change of scenery despite the restrictions.

If I have a straight up choice between a restricted (no pool, no bar, kids club, sports etc) holiday in sunny France with meals on the decking, cycling each day on excellent bike lanes, visits to the beach etc Vs another 2-3 weeks at home I'll be on the ferry like a shot assuming there isn't any increase in the risk of infection etc etc.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Maybe, but that may be irrelevant if there are "non essential" travel bans.

Today's rumour mill is that even within the State, travel will be restricted until at least mid July (which would be past our travel date).

As far as I'm aware yesterday's French announcement made no mention of international travel, but did say about restrictions on inter department travel could continue. I doubt they're going to want an influx of international tourists, particularly from the UK.

Maybe, but that may be irrelevant if there are "non essential" travel bans.

Today's rumour mill is that even within the State, travel will be restricted until at least mid July (which would be past our travel date).

As far as I'm aware yesterday's French announcement made no mention of international travel, but did say about restrictions on inter department travel could continue. I doubt they're going to want an influx of international tourists, particularly from the UK.

Unfortunately I agree but hope springs eternal that once restrictions start to lift they will accelerate (based on positive results) to the point where travel restrictions will be lifted allowing us to travel to and freely within France during the time of our scheduled holiday (1st three weeks of July) but if that doesn't happen c'est la vie, it's very much a secondary issue to keeping everyone safe and infection rates down.

Balance due in the next few days on a Yelloh booking. I'm trying to figure out of it's push or pull. Do they need me to pay again or have they enough infomation after the initial deposit to take the balance ?

Other option is if i'm up for giving up the desposit at this stage anyway, to pay the balance and wait for more French guidance on travel.

I've travel insruance and cancellation insurance but nothing kicks in unless you are prevented form travelling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

54and56 wrote: »
    I could honestly deal with that. Days spent at the beach instead of the pool and evenings spent cooking onsite and going to whatever restaurants (if any) are open locally would work very well for us.

It wouldn't be the normal holiday experience but relative to getting a 2-3 week break from lockdown in our house, especially after 3-4 months of same, it might well be a welcome change of scenery despite the restrictions.

If I have a straight up choice between a restricted (no pool, no bar, kids club, sports etc) holiday in sunny France with meals on the decking, cycling each day on excellent bike lanes, visits to the beach etc Vs another 2-3 weeks at home I'll be on the ferry like a shot assuming there isn't any increase in the risk of infection etc etc.

That's exactly the way I feel. We go to a campsite every year and honestly my 2 younger one (11 and 13) very rarely use the pools. Usually they spend time with their friends just hanging around. As for food most nights we would bbq anyway so not a huge loss if restaurants are restricted. I usually just sit in the sun,load the kindle up and read for 3 weeks. The only thing I would miss are my few (loads) of pints in the evening at the entertainment but I could live with that as long as theres a shop open nearby to stock up.

If they lift the travel ban and my holiday can go ahead Ill be on that plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hellrazer wrote: »
    That's exactly the way I feel. We go to a campsite every year and honestly my 2 younger one (11 and 13) very rarely use the pools. Usually they spend time with their friends just hanging around. As for food most nights we would bbq anyway so not a huge loss if restaurants are restricted. I usually just sit in the sun,load the kindle up and read for 3 weeks. The only thing I would miss are my few (loads) of pints in the evening at the entertainment but I could live with that as long as theres a shop open nearby to stock up.

If they lift the travel ban and my holiday can go ahead Ill be on that plane.

We're actually in the same position
    Biggest issue is flying into Milan and then driving to alps.
    The campsites are very spacious and we're in a lot cabin.

Waiting another few weeks before deciding

Good news for those with concerns and who booked with Eurocamp

https://www.eurocamp.ie/information/coronavirus-update

Free deferral and price match for 2021

Just bumped our two weeks in Britanny to next year. #relief

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

fdevine wrote: »
    Good news for those with concerns and who booked with Eurocamp

https://www.eurocamp.ie/information/coronavirus-update

Free deferal and price match for 2021

Just bumped our two weeks in Britanny to next year. #relief

We're going on May 28th so looks like our dates will be cancelled next. I ll be looking for a full refund from them.. Going back to La Sirene nx year and will be using Lifestyle mobiles as their better located for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Has anyone booked with Eurocamp today. I made two bookings but didn't receive an email for either of them. Just wondering if that happened to anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Stumbled across this, basically by July full facilities will be open subject to social distancing.

Whether they’ll be accessible for us non French remains to be seen. We’re changing ours to next year either way under the new eurocamp offer.

What will be, will be on the flights. Have to laugh at people saying that they don’t really use the pools because their kids spend the day hanging out with mates. You do realise that won’t be permitted under social distancing rules??!

http://www.ot-campings.com/L-Actualite/La-FNHPA-devoile-une-approche-de-sa-proposition-de-plan-sanitaire-campings

Advertisement