Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Heard a great expression - we're not all in the same boat, but we are all in the same storm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

tnegun wrote: »
    Was due to sail on the 14th Irish Ferries and called them on Friday, first they tried to say I had to pay in full before the 4th before they would discuss my options, then proceeded to cancel the booking and told me I had lost the deposit as I had cancelled!! I explained I didn't ask to cancel and was looking for their advice on what to do next. I read out their statement on the site re carrying to next year and it was news to the agent. They put me on hold and said as a gesture as I have paid for a flexi booking they would transfer part of the deposit to next year but not all as I had taken breakdown insurance. I've to wait on an email regarding the insurance so no idea what will happen with that.

IT must have changed as I got 67 back from my 100 euro deposit. Flexi booking and sailing in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

airy fairy wrote: »
    Yup, my deposit is €900

are you going to go all in or try and stop them taking more? This is my dilemma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭airy fairy

rightmove wrote: »
    are you going to go all in or try and stop them taking more? This is my dilemma

I'm going to wait until nearer the date, 11th May. Will give them time to respond through email.
    They are a law to themselves regarding Goodwill and money.
    I have no idea what I'll do then.
    If I change dates until October, as they initially suggested in March, I could then rebook when next year's dates come out. They said that will be July, but dates weren't released until October last year. So if dates are late, they'll still take the remainder fee off me in July.
    I have a notion in my head that they will stop sailing to Cork after this year, and will be at a loss either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We were meant to go to Italy in June with Eurocamp. We had also done a pre-registration for 2021 for France before this virus really took off and had been given a Registration Number.

Now, I have received an email from Eurocamp saying that our Italian trip has been moved to 2021 with the same Campsites etc despite not having asked for this. I cannot log in to Eurocamp with either registration number.

I have emailed again explaining this but each email (even replies) seems to be put back into a queue again and takes days to get a response

• Advertisement

I have a notion in my head that they will stop sailing to Cork after this year, and will be at a loss either way.

hope its just a notion. Seems a profitable route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Irish Ferries have updated their COVID-19 page......

" Following recent updates, Irish Ferries have now extended their enhanced flexibility for bookings for travel up to 29 June"

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/top-10-faqs/coronavirus-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

fdevine wrote: »
    Irish Ferries have updated their COVID-19 page......

" Following recent updates, Irish Ferries have now extended their enhanced flexibility for bookings for travel up to 29 June"

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/top-10-faqs/coronavirus-covid-19/

Yesterday I amended an early July booking to later date, it was very easy and got a prompt response through their twitter account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    Yesterday I amended an early July booking to later date, it was very easy and got a prompt response through their twitter account

Could have reschedule to a later date up to December 2020 before now but didn't want that.

Up to today they were only allowing cancellation & credit for sailings up to 15th June. That's now been extended to anyone due to sail up to 29th June.

Luckily I only had a deposit paid but some have more invested.

fdevine wrote: »
    Could have reschedule to a later date up to December 2020 before now but didn't want that.

Up to today they were only allowing cancellation & credit for sailings up to 15th June. That's now been extended to anyone due to sail up to 29th June.

Luckily I only had a deposit paid but some have more invested.

Fair enough I wasn't thinking along the lines of cancellation or credit just from reschedule point of view. Anyway the twitter route was fairly painless

• Advertisement

I've messaged BF on messenger. They have responded before. But now seeing my messages and not replying.
    I'm waiting 5/6 days now for an email reply.
    I have until next Monday before the remainder of my balance is taken, another €900.
    My bet is, they are waiting on that transfer of payment before they'll do anything.

At this stage I might be just better playing with a few weeks, by moving my sailing to October, then I may be able to move it, or loose it in July.
    The amount of dissatisfied people on Facebook and all bf are doing is sending them links to sailing times.
    As of now BF are sailing from Cork on 23rd may onwards.

I've messaged BF on messenger. They have responded before. But now seeing my messages and not replying.
    I have until next Monday before the remainder of my balance is taken, another €900.
    My bet is, they are waiting on that transfer of payment before they'll do anything.

At this stage I might be just better playing with a few weeks, by moving my sailing to October, then I may be able to move it, or loose it in July.
    The amount of dissatisfied people on Facebook and all bf are doing is sending them links to sailing times.

ignoring my email also

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Just got a reply from BF, after the balance of the trip was taken yesterday. They are offering a credit note that is valid for ALL the money that was taken from me. Credit note is valid for 2 years.

Whilst it's not as bad as potentially losing my deposit, they have handled this really badly. Will contact them again to try to get a full refund or a credit note for the deposit only.

Treviso wrote: »
    Just got a reply from BF, after the balance of the trip was taken yesterday. They are offering a credit note that is valid for ALL the money that was taken from me. Credit note is valid for 2 years.

Whilst it's not as bad as potentially losing my deposit, they have handled this really badly. Will contact them again to try to get a full refund or a credit note for the deposit only.

When were you due to sail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Good luck trying to get a refund. I tried and I'm waiting for a chargeback. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to wait for the district court to open to lodge a European Small Claims case. An Irish Small Claim Court case won't do as it's a French company

I was lucky in that I couldn't book a return sailing (change in terms and conditions) so I had two separate booking references so I've two separate vouchers. I won't be stuck to use all of the credit on one booking

When were you due to sail?

July 4th

ianobrien wrote: »
    Good luck trying to get a refund. I tried and I'm waiting for a chargeback. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to wait for the district court to open to lodge a European Small Claims case. An Irish Small Claim Court case won't do as it's a French company

I was lucky in that I couldn't book a return sailing (change in terms and conditions) so I had two separate booking references so I've two separate vouchers. I won't be stuck to use all of the credit on one booking

Yea I'll be surprised to get anything back from them, so the 2 year Credit note is a good worst case scenario. Worry is if BF goes belly up and we lose everything. Suspect that ferry prices will also double next year, so the credit note value won't cover two crossings

July 4th

I was to go on the 11th

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Jeffm587 wrote: »

When did you amend it too?

I am thinking of cancelling our sailing for this year and move it to 2021.

its a 28th June sailing. If it all calms down by august I could always make a new booking. Although, this looks less and less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Irish Ferries want to take €100 non refundable deposit off each of my 2 one way booking if I cancel my July trip and get a credit on my account for next summer.

Not great customer service from IF, especially as they are keeping €200 and not refunding any cash but giving me an account credit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just a comment and it probably won't help anybody here, but from what's being said about Irish Ferries and Brittany Ferries, it seems Stena are a joy to deal with by comparison.

We'd booked Rosslare to Cherbourg. Outward leg was paid for in full with Tesco tokens, and they've changed it with no questions asked to an open ticket that can be used anytime up to end of 2021 (no refunds allowed with Tesco tokens, but that's a standard condition, and not related to Covid-19). For the return leg, which we booked ourselves as a flexi-fare, we've already got a full refund.

As I say, this might not help anybody, but then again, some might like to consider it for future bookings.

Deeman83 wrote: »
    When did you amend it too?

I am thinking of cancelling our sailing for this year and move it to 2021.

its a 28th June sailing. If it all calms down by august I could always make a new booking. Although, this looks less and less likely.

Into middle of August, bit optimistic I know but i'm not heading for a campsite so don't have that also to try and reconcile. France have another Gov announcement today on easing of restrictions and if WB Yeats is on the crossing by August and maybe self isolate on return is lifted then we probably will go. We will always use a credit for the ferry as in normal times we go twice a year so not too worried about the refund bit if we have to kick it to next year

kindalen wrote: »
    Irish Ferries want to take €100 non refundable deposit off each of my 2 one way booking if I cancel my July trip and get a credit on my account for next summer.

Not great customer service from IF, especially as they are keeping €200 and not refunding any cash but giving me an account credit?

IF is small change by comparison to BF who think they deserve full payment regardless or else you loose a 50% deposit. They are really a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

kindalen wrote: »

I have the flexibility option, I'm waiting until the 18th of May to hear more about the next phase before I contact Irish ferries, but I think with that option I have 100% refunded.. I would rebook for next year, given the option, on conditions it's the same price as this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just a question on Irish Ferries - if you are paying in part with Tesco Tokens, can you also have the Flexi Fare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

amor3 wrote: »
    I have the flexibility option, I'm waiting until the 18th of May to hear more about the next phase before I contact Irish ferries, but I think with that option I have 100% refunded.. I would rebook for next year, given the option, on conditions it's the same price as this year!

I cancelled mine yesterday which was booked with the flexibility option. You get €70 back of the €100 deposit

Bf still spinning the same excuses as we're getting.
    I've been waiting 7 days for a reply to my email now.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

cgc5483 wrote: »
    I cancelled mine yesterday which was booked with the flexibility option. You get €70 back of the €100 deposit

When are you travelling.. I'm july so I'm over 42 days..

• Advertisement

Bf still spinning the same excuses as we're getting.
    I've been waiting 7 days for a reply to my email now.

saw that - just sent them this. no reply to last mail

Hi,

As per the irish times article today can you confirm that I can cancel my booking for this year and receive a voucher for the deposit already paid. The article states

“Any customer deciding to cancel will be given a credit note valid for two years for the value of their deposit”

The irish times article mentions this was offered to customers however we have not received any such offer.

How do we go about doing this?

Regards

Advertisement