Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gavlor wrote: »
    You could be in bother.

Aer Lingus email offering voucher +10% ended up in my spam last week. They are offering it for flights Departing before June 30th.

I filled in the form but haven’t heard back yet.

I don't qualify for a voucher yet - my flights havent been cancelled, and in all likelyhood, by the time that mid july rules around, they'll be going. So to the letter of the law, Aer lingus are living up to their end of the bargain.

What I'm trying to get at - they have introduced free fare changes up to the end of august, but If theres nowhere I want to go between now and next june, thats not of much use to me.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    AL could extend the Vouchers until July 20th or August 10th as according to the Plan we shouldn't be travelling more than 20km from home until July 20th and not off this Island until August 10th.

Thats certainly an avenue I could look at alright. I'll give it another week or two to see if any further developments arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I don't qualify for a voucher yet - my flights havent been cancelled, and in all likelyhood, by the time that mid july rules around, they'll be going. So to the letter of the law, Aer lingus are living up to their end of the bargain.

What I'm trying to get at - they have introduced free fare changes up to the end of august, but If theres nowhere I want to go between now and next june, thats not of much use to me.

Mine isn’t cancelled either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I hear you and am in a similar situation albeit with ferry companies.

IMHO if the carrier whether airline or ferry are operating the service we've booked on and we don't avail of it for whatever reason it's not their responsibility or obligation to compensate us that's what travel insurance and flexi fares are for.

If I can't claim on my insurance or get a refund via the flexi fare for whatever reason and as a gesture of goodwill the ferry companies offer me some form of voucher or re-booking for next year I'd be more than happy with that given they have no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

SusanC10 wrote: »
    AL could extend the Vouchers until July 20th or August 10th as according to the Plan we shouldn't be travelling more than 20km from home until July 20th and not off this Island until August 10th.

Is this the case? I think the Plan is (deliberately) vague on this.

Phase 3 (20 July) says that "Specific measures will be introduced at ports and airports.". Phase 4 (10 August) says nothing about overseas travel. I guess that decision is going to be taken centrally by the EU, and they seem quite keen to get the tourism industry up and running for August at least.

We're due to go on 2 August, and the way things are heading at the moment I reckon travel will be permitted and campsites will be open.

Whether or not we want to go is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

loyatemu wrote: »
    same here, we pointed out that on the date we were due to travel (in July) we won't even be allowed travel to the airport so they offered the voucher, which I'm happy enough with. Now to see what happens with Ryanair, as things stand the flights are running...

we were meant to be going with Lufthansa, but I doubt their flight schedule out of Dublin will be running by then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

we were meant to be going with Lufthansa, but I doubt their flight schedule out of Dublin will be running by then

We're still waiting on Lufthansa refunds from Easter.
    They haven't been pushing the vouchers, but they haven't been falling over themselves to refund the flight costs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablor101

Brittany Ferries now extending credit notes for 24 months even for late June when sailing yet to be cancelled. Just wondering on cash back options
    Anyone in similar- sailing date 27th June cork to Roscoff

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Pablor101 wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries now extending credit notes for 24 months even for late June when sailing yet to be cancelled. Just wondering on cash back options
    Anyone in similar- sailing date 27th June cork to Roscoff

Same sailing - emailed the cerdit note address trying to make the point that we are not allowed to travel over 20km and wanted a refund. Expect them to push back on insurance bla bla..
    I'd take the credit note but worried about prices next year and Brexit.
    will see what they reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Just curious. Mentioned a few pages ago that I had no problems whatsoever in sorting things out with Stena. And while there's lots of talk here with people wondering and asking about both IF and BF, nobody has mentioned any problems or concerns with Stena.

So wondering if it's that they really are easier to deal with, or is it just that really very few travel with them in comparison to the others?

They suit us because we're in Wexford anyway, and just a short drive to Rosslare. Don't see the point in driving all the way to Dublin to sail with IF, for example, only to sail back down the east coast again. Would seem even more pointless on the way back, when you'd basically sail past your house but know you still wouldn't be home for probably another five or six hours or more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablor101

Same sailing - emailed the cerdit note address trying to make the point that we are not allowed to travel over 20km and wanted a refund. Expect them to push back on insurance bla bla..
    I'd take the credit note but worried about prices next year and Brexit.
    will see what they reply

Yep might do same. God knows what prices next year with everything so a credit note on a much more expensive trip might not be that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Pablor101 wrote:
    Brittany Ferries now extending credit notes for 24 months even for late June when sailing yet to be cancelled. Just wondering on cash back options Anyone in similar- sailing date 27th June cork to Roscoff

I'm sailing August 2nd. Was in touch with them yesterday as my final balance is due next week. They offered me a credit note for my deposit if I wanted to cancel.

Thought that was pretty decent given how much is likely to change by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

So IF just emailed me to say I lost my insurance as I cancelled my booking that was very sly of them. I called for my options and was told I could take the cash less admin and flexi fee or transfer the cost less insurance to next year and they would be in touch regarding the refund of insurance. Now they say I chose to cancel and forfeited the insurance as a result :mad::mad: Takes them about a week to reply to each email too which only worsens things.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

We were due to head away on the 17th June with Canvas holiday's. We have only €99 deposit pd, they are offering to honor this yrs prices nxt yr if we pay a further €99, but if prices are cheaper nxt yr we can take the cheaper option. Only stipulation is that we have to book the same dates caravan and location. Just waiting to get confirmation that if we cancel later in the yr we don't loose the whole lot. Have cancelled the flights with Ryanair, so like alot more we'll see how that pans out.

I thought Canvas were decent enough with that offer, I will also be asking what wud happen if they go under. But I think they are bonded, which I believe makes our money safe?

MorganIRL wrote: »
    We were due to head away on the 17th June with Canvas holiday's. We have only €99 deposit pd, they are offering to honor this yrs prices nxt yr if we pay a further €99, but if prices are cheaper nxt yr we can take the cheaper option. Only stipulation is that we have to book the same dates caravan and location. Just waiting to get confirmation that if we cancel later in the yr we don't loose the whole lot. Have cancelled the flights with Ryanair, so like alot more we'll see how that pans out.

I thought Canvas were decent enough with that offer, I will also be asking what wud happen if they go under. But I think they are bonded, which I believe makes our money safe?

They should just offer you a voucher
    It's a government backed scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Peckham wrote: »
    I'm sailing August 2nd. Was in touch with them yesterday as my final balance is due next week. They offered me a credit note for my deposit if I wanted to cancel.

How did you contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Peckham wrote: »

We're sailing the same time, I'm waiting until the last minute because as each day goes by the news seems to be getting more and more positive.
    Reading about Puy Du Fou this morning, France lifting their quarantine on people arriving on the 24th of July and Brittany is all in the green zone.

If I get the opportunity to go I'll grab it with both hands as next year the prices are going to do through the roof the way flights are going so even a voucher won't get you much.

Everyone will be choosing Ferry Holidays they will be like hens teeth.

We're sailing the same time, I'm waiting until the last minute because as each day goes by the news seems to be getting more and more positive.
    Reading about Puy Du Fou this morning, France lifting their quarantine on people arriving on the 24th of July and Brittany is all in the green zone.

If I get the opportunity to go I'll grab it with both hands as next year the prices are going to do through the roof the way flights are going so even a voucher won't get you much.

Everyone will be choosing Ferry Holidays they will be like hens teeth.

Is there somewhere that the french procedures can be seen? I've had a look around and haven't found anything useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Is there somewhere that the french procedures can be seen?

Not sure if this is the type of thing you mean but maybe try The Connexion. English language French news digest. I follow it on FB. Or maybe The Local, app or FB which has news in English from different countries around Europe. A number of articles are free to view each week. I also follow Midi Libre on FB which is a French language news paper from Occitanie, my area of choice in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

tried to use the transfer21 to move the eurocamp booking but price is completely different. Due to go 26th june 2020 and trying to transfer to 3rd july 2021 but must not see the booking as equivalent. Anyone else tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

rightmove wrote: »
    tried to use the transfer21 to move the eurocamp booking but price is completely different. Due to go 26th june 2020 and trying to transfer to 3rd july 2021 but must not see the booking as equivalent. Anyone else tried this?

I found emailing them worked better though was very slow in response. Up to 10 days to one email.
    But I was able to clearly outline what I wanted to do in the Email and then once they provided me with the new Booking Number, I could check it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

They should just offer you a voucher
    It's a government backed scheme

Beggars_bush how do u mean? Do u think it's a bad option?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is anyone Landbridging to France/Europe this summer?
    How do expect the 14 day UK quarantine requirement on the return leg will impact travel ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/22/priti-patel-to-outline-coronavirus-quarantine-plan-for-travellers-to-uk

Some countries in Europe allow you the option of 12 hours to get across without quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Is there somewhere that the french procedures can be seen? I've had a look around and haven't found anything useful.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/informations-pratiques/article/coronavirus-covid-19-16-05-2020

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Beggars_bush how do u mean? Do u think it's a bad option?

Yes. Don't pay them any more money. Just ask for a voucher for the amount you have paid over

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

I'm thinking ahead to next summer. We've cancelled this years. Too risky in my opinion, even if travel is 'safe'. I have a small baby this year and I wouldn't want the extra hassle of all the extra safety precautions with three small children.
    We've only ever been to La Grande Metairie in Brittany. We are thinking of somewhere different next summer. I have one main requirement....a beach close by (no more than 5-10 minutes in the car). Preferably a beach that is rocky when the tide goes out. My young fella loves to search for crabs and sea creatures. This is what he lives for on holiday! Brittany suits us well that way. But we'd like to try something new.
    Any suggestions for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

I'm thinking ahead to next summer. We've cancelled this years. Too risky in my opinion, even if travel is 'safe'. I have a small baby this year and I wouldn't want the extra hassle of all the extra safety precautions with three small children.
    We've only ever been to La Grande Metairie in Brittany. We are thinking of somewhere different next summer. I have one main requirement....a beach close by (no more than 5-10 minutes in the car). Preferably a beach that is rocky when the tide goes out. My young fella loves to search for crabs and sea creatures. This is what he lives for on holiday! Brittany suits us well that way. But we'd like to try something new.
    Any suggestions for me?

Le Littoral in the Vendee region. A short stroll to a rocky beach. My kids were young when we went to this site and loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

treascon wrote: »
    Le Littoral in the Vendee region. A short stroll to a rocky beach. My kids were young when we went to this site and loved it

Had a look at Le Littoral on trip advisor. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks perfect for us. Great beach. Gets really good reviews on trip advisor re cleanliness and entertainment for small children. Pool looks very well suited to small children.

Has anyone ever tried apartments instead of campsites? The likes of Pierre et Vacances? Which do you prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Has anyone ever tried apartments instead of campsites? The likes of Pierre et Vacances? Which do you prefer?[/QUOTE]

Pierre et Vacances are generally apartment blocks with very limited child friendly entertainment. Not comparable in any way with campsites. No restaurants/bars etc, No waterslides etc....may have small pools (very). In short, not comparable at all and aimed at a different market (IMO).

Advertisement