Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gandalf wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus you are in crepes country. We head over to France every summer and are working our way down South from Normandy. We always break our journey half way in a town and head for a creperie. Get a couple of savory crepes and a sweet one with cider for the adults and apple juice for junior. It doesn't cost that much more than McD's and it is so much tastier.
    Whilst I agree with what you're saying, sometimes the free Wifi in McDonalds can be a lifesaver, especially with young kids because it can be an opportunity to download a movie or new game on the tablet etc, which really helps when travelling. In fact it's probably the only reason to visit a McDonalds abroad ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Quazzie wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with what you're saying, sometimes the free Wifi in McDonalds can be a lifesaver, especially with young kids because it can be an opportunity to download a movie or new game on the tablet etc, which really helps when travelling. In fact it's probably the only reason to visit a McDonalds abroad ever.

100%. The quality of the cuisine is the least important reason we always stop in a McDonalds. For us it's all about easy quick access from the motorway Vs traipsing into a town, the speed we're served, the quality of the bathroom facilities and Wi-Fi etc so the kids can catch up on their all important Facebook and Snapchat feeds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Roughly 6 weeks to go until we leave for France :)

Trying to get organised now so a few questions !

The campsite we are going to has a lazy river which needs inflatable rings. The reviews of the campsite say not to buy them at the campsite itself as the quality is not good. Where should I buy ? In Ireland before we go ? Or at the Supermarket in France ?

In Terms of Paperwork I have applied for the E111, have Travel Ins and European Breakdown Assist. Do we need to inform the Ins Companies for our normal car insurance and our health insurance ? Do we bring the VRC, Ins Cert and NCT Certs in the car too ? Any other paperwork I am missing ?

Have Triangle and Hi-Vis Vests. Intend to get Spare Bulb Kit and Stickers for Headlights in Halfords. Is there anything else we need ?

All other tips and suggestions welcomed !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

100%. The quality of the cuisine is the least important reason we always stop in a McDonalds. For us it's all about easy quick access from the motorway Vs traipsing into a town, the speed we're served, the quality of the bathroom facilities and Wi-Fi etc so the kids can catch up on their all important Facebook and Snapchat feeds :rolleyes:

Don't forget the play areas, thats all my two want.:rolleyes:

SusanC10 wrote: »

The campsite we are going to has a lazy river which needs inflatable rings. The reviews of the campsite say not to buy them at the campsite itself as the quality is not good. Where should I buy ? In Ireland before we go ? Or at the Supermarket in France ?

In Terms of Paperwork I have applied for the E111, have Travel Ins and European Breakdown Assist. Do we need to inform the Ins Companies for our normal car insurance and our health insurance ? Do we bring the VRC, Ins Cert and NCT Certs in the car too ? Any other paperwork I am missing ?

Have Triangle and Hi-Vis Vests. Intend to get Spare Bulb Kit and Stickers for Headlights in Halfords. Is there anything else we need ?

Yeah just let your insurance company. Was your european breakdown service expensive?

Depends where you going, but Super U is supermarket with great stuff for the pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Was your european breakdown service expensive?

We got Worldwide Travel Ins for 1 year with the Breakdown Assist for Europe as an Add-on for €175. That was 2 Adults and 2 Kids with VHI with whom we already have our Health Ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Super U, Intermarche, E. Leclerc are french supermarkets, pretty much any one I've ever been in has had a pretty large selection of inflatibles etc, and any resort by the sea is going to have loads of them anyway.

Failing that, Theres always the excellent sports shop - Decathlon, they're dotted all over france and well worth a visit as part of your trip to france, you can get some lovely stuff there (even fleeces and jackets for when you get home) at pretty great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Super U, Intermarche, E. Leclerc are french supermarkets, pretty much any one I've ever been in has had a pretty large selection of inflatibles etc, and any resort by the sea is going to have loads of them anyway.

Also Gifi is great for all sorts of things including inexpensive, fun summer beach & pool toys.

We got Worldwide Travel Ins for 1 year with the Breakdown Assist for Europe as an Add-on for €175. That was 2 Adults and 2 Kids with VHI with whom we already have our Health Ins.

Europewide breakdown "AA" type assistance for 2 adults and 2 kids under 18 including cover here at home in Ireland for €114.50 all in from the biggest auto-mobile association in Europe (AFAIK) https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership including repatriation to Ireland etc if required. When you break down in Ireland it's the AA they send out to rescue you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Europewide breakdown "AA" type assistance for 2 adults and 2 kids under 18 including cover here at home in Ireland for €114.50 all in from the biggest auto-mobile association in Europe (AFAIK) https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership including repatriation to Ireland etc if required. When you break down in Ireland it's the AA they send out to rescue you :)
    Does the following mean that the prices quoted are only for residence of Germany?
    Using the links below to acquire ADAC membership requires that your place of residence is in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I know exactly where you are coming from. My young lad wants to go to that godforsaken hole all the time so we make an effort to keep away from them when we are in France. His first solid food was actually crepe.

I'd actually kill for a good Breton four cheese crepe with Cider, its my idea of heaven. I suppose our view is a bit skewed as the missus is French and we stop off at the outlaws who live an hour and half from Cherbourg for a few days before we head South. So we leech the hell out of their internets ;)

Does the following mean that the prices quoted are only for residence of Germany?
    Perhaps for signing up online via the German website but if you call them they'll send you out a membership application form in English which you complete including a direct debit mandate and bobs your uncle, you're covered.

+49 800 510 1112 is the general admin number. When calling just ask to speak to an English speaking agent and you’ll be put straight through.

ADAC Plus membership seems to be the most comprehensive and best value IMHO anyway.

Siblu have messed up our booking, tried to blame us for it, but I have all the emails, so now they are trying to sort it out big time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Siblu have messed up our booking, tried to blame us for it, but I have all the emails, so now they are trying to sort it out big time!!!

What did they do? We have booked with siblu the last few years and again for this year but they are still sending me emails to book my holiday for this year!! It might just be automated though as everything is there when I go in "my booking" on the website.

amor3 wrote: »
    What did they do? We have booked with siblu the last few years and again for this year but they are still sending me emails to book my holiday for this year!! It might just be automated though as everything is there when I go in "my booking" on the website.

We paid for a 2 bed with aircon and now they are saying they don't have aircon, but my kids and wife will struggle without it, as they did a few years ago.

Basically said we didn't ask for me but I backed it up with an email saying we did and them saying yep it be no problem.

Got a call a few months ago saying we hadn't booked at all also:rolleyes:

Last year, 5 days before we went, we asked if we had a washing machine in ours but they couldn't confirm it, even though they had our plot number :rolleyes:

Think we switch after this year

Quick question for all that have or goes to les charmettes in July/August

How bad is the noise from Luna Park, will the kids sleep if we are near the back of the park up towards Luna?

Quick question for all that have or goes to les charmettes in July/August

How bad is the noise from Luna Park, will the kids sleep if we are near the back of the park up towards Luna?

Stayed in les charmettes a couple of years ago for 4 nights. We didn't notice any noise at all to be honest. We are heading back in August as we didn't get enough time there last time! Must following up about our booking now. I also requested air con.

Stayed in les charmettes a couple of years ago for 4 nights. We didn't notice any noise at all to be honest. We are heading back in August as we didn't get enough time there last time! Must following up about our booking now. I also requested air con.

Especially follow up if its a two bed, as they told us none had any.

Thanks for the info

I've been booking with Siblu for 6-7 years in various sites and my experience (on the sites I've been to) is that you can request features like AC or a covered terrace but there's no guarantee you'll get it.

I do think there are some sites down south like La Reserve where booking a mobile with AC is an option they can guarantee but on sites like Bonne Anse Plage and Le Bois Masson they don't guarantee it. Check your booking confirmation very carefully. Does it say AC confirmed or requested? Also, if they emailed something like "that shouldn't be a problem" it doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Sometimes their desire to be helpful can be translated into language we take as meaning "it's sorted" whereas they in fact mean they'll do their best and don't expect it will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've been booking with Siblu for 6-7 years in various sites and my experience (on the sites I've been to) is that you can request features like AC or a covered terrace but there's no guarantee you'll get it.

I do think there are some sites down south like La Reserve where booking a mobile with AC is an option they can guarantee but on sites like Bonne Anse Plage and Le Bois Masson they don't guarantee it. Check your booking confirmation very carefully. Does it say AC confirmed or requested? Also, if they emailed something like "that shouldn't be a problem" it doesn't mean it's guaranteed. Sometimes their desire to be helpful can be translated into language we take as meaning "it's sorted" whereas they in fact mean they'll do their best and don't expect it will be a problem.

I've had the same experience - you can request but there's no guarantee - I think it stems from the fact that most of the mobile homes are owned by individuals, so specs and availability is probably very much a mixed bag. One year we did ask for a different mobile home in the middle of our 2 week stay as we had a young baby and we were on a very busy intersection, and they looked after us no questions asked.

It is frustrating that you're still rocking up to the campsite with no idea of your pitch number etc etc. But all in all, I've had a pretty positive experience with siblu.

• Advertisement

So here is what happened:

We usually go for the top range three bed where aircon comes with automatically.
    This year the two kids said they like to share a room, so I contacted the girl in Siblu who we go thru. She said she would put us on waiting list for top of range 2 bed with aircon, but because we booked last Sept we were first on the list and she said we were 100% SURE we would get one, otherwise we would of went with three bed.

8 weeks when I go to pay she decides to tell us that we don't have any. Got onto the manager and she got us one straight away.

If she would of told us there was a risk, i wouldn't of done it, but she said we get one for 100% sure. Had it all in writing.

I've had the same experience - you can request but there's no guarantee - I think it stems from the fact that most of the mobile homes are owned by individuals, so specs and availability is probably very much a mixed bag. One year we did ask for a different mobile home in the middle of our 2 week stay as we had a young baby and we were on a very busy intersection, and they looked after us no questions asked.

It is frustrating that you're still rocking up to the campsite with no idea of your pitch number etc etc. But all in all, I've had a pretty positive experience with siblu.

You can ask for your plot number from 5 days out

Hi SD4E, I've had the same experience. Last year we booked very last minute (you actually helped me if you remember) and whilst we got a nice mobile it didn't have a covered terrace which we love, just a regular terrace. We were staying for three weeks and asked to be switched to a covered terrace if possible. Within 24 hours they came back offering us the option to move to a covered terrace from the coming Saturday for the remaining two weeks of our holiday. As it turns out by the time Saturday arrived we'd gotten used to the uncovered terrace and as the mobile we had the option to move to wasn't in as good a location we declined and stayed put.

this year we're off to La Reserve and we've taken advantage of Siblu's new "Hand Pick Your Holiday Home" service - http://www.tootlafrance.ie/news/siblu-launches-hand-pick-your-holiday-home so I already know the exact mobile home we'll have, what facilities it has/doesn't have and where it is located within the park. This "service" is supposed to be an optional extra for which they charge (IIRC) €5 per night which over the 21 nights we'll be there would add €105 to the cost but as I've been booking with them consistently (albeit different parks) for 6-7 years and booked this years holiday before we left Le Bois Masson last year they called me out of the blue a few months ago to offer me mobile home # XXX at no extra cost.

It's always easier to keep a customer and acquire a customer but having said that, unless La Reserve blows our socks off we're probably going to try something different next year. Thinking of going to Spain or Italy for the summer holiday but not a "campsite".

Hi SD4E, I've had the same experience. Last year we booked very last minute (you actually helped me if you remember) and whilst we got a nice mobile it didn't have a covered terrace which we love, just a regular terrace. We were staying for three weeks and asked to be switched to a covered terrace if possible. Within 24 hours they came back offering us the option to move to a covered terrace from the coming Saturday for the remaining two weeks of our holiday. As it turns out by the time Saturday arrived we'd gotten used to the uncovered terrace and as the mobile we had the option to move to wasn't in as good a location we declined and stayed put.

this year we're off to La Reserve and we've taken advantage of Siblu's new "Hand Pick Your Holiday Home" service - http://www.tootlafrance.ie/news/siblu-launches-hand-pick-your-holiday-home so I already know the exact mobile home we'll have, what facilities it has/doesn't have and where it is located within the park. This "service" is supposed to be an optional extra for which they charge (IIRC) €5 per night which over the 21 nights we'll be there would add €105 to the cost but as I've been booking with them consistently (albeit different parks) for 6-7 years and booked this years holiday before we left Le Bois Masson last year they called me out of the blue a few months ago to offer me mobile home # XXX at no extra cost.

It's always easier to keep a customer and acquire a customer but having said that, unless La Reserve blows our socks off we're probably going to try something different next year. Thinking of going to Spain or Italy for the summer holiday but not a "campsite".

Looking forward to your review of La Reserve, we are looking for somewhere new next year

because we booked last Sept we were first on the list and she said we were 100% SURE we would get one
    If the person you dealt with was French then I'd say it's a case of good intentions but lost in translation. She probably wasn't trying to be misleading and was trying to convey that she was very confident you'd get what you wanted but obviously that's not the same as what we hear when someone normally says to us that they are "100% sure".

Glad you got it sorted now. Things like that can get a holiday off to a very bad start and cause unnecessary grief.

If the person you dealt with was French then I'd say it's a case of good intentions but lost in translation. She probably wasn't trying to be misleading and was trying to convey that she was very confident you'd get what you wanted but obviously that's not the same as what we hear when someone normally says to us that they are "100% sure".

Glad you got it sorted now. Things like that can get a holiday off to a very bad start and cause unnecessary grief.

Oh yeah totally understand, but I had double check more than once with her. But all ok, be a great holiday for all, great runs for me hopefully on the trails!

Kids looking forward to the horse riding next door!!

Have just checked the booking and it says "2 bed excellence with terrace and air con " i would take this as a guarentee, yes??

Have just checked the booking and it says "2 bed excellence with terrace and air con " i would take this as a guarentee, yes??

Just keep an eye on it, as mine had it and then changed, do you a plot number yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Does anyone have any experience in the Messanges area specifically in Camping le Vieux Port ?

Any advice on the drive, places to stop on the way/ way back ?

1st timers with so any tips much appreciated

• Advertisement

Defo

Advertisement