Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Has anyone ever tried apartments instead of campsites? The likes of Pierre et Vacances? Which do you prefer?

Never tried apartments but we've always hired a gite. Personally I don't like campsites and find a gite is great especially with small kids. We've gone five times over the past seven years and the small ones are 8, 5 and 2. Get the right one and you'll have plenty of space, good amenities and lots of privacy. Mostt are close to a village as well with some sort of restaurant if you get tired of the self catering. Would recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

sceach16 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried apartments instead of campsites? The likes of Pierre et Vacances? Which do you prefer?

Pierre et Vacances are generally apartment blocks with very limited child friendly entertainment. Not comparable in any way with campsites. No restaurants/bars etc, No waterslides etc....may have small pools (very). In short, not comparable at all and aimed at a different market (IMO).[/QUOTE]

I've been looking at Pierre et Vacances and theres definitely as much amenities on site (restaurants, shops, playgrounds) But the pools in all of them are much smaller and less slides, lazy river, that kind of craic, and that's what my kids love the most. I just wondered if maybe the luxury of a ground floor apartment or a villa in the likes of Pierre et Vacances would make up for the lack of Pools/water activities.

padre78 wrote: »
    Never tried apartments but we've always hired a gite. Personally I don't like campsites and find a gite is great especially with small kids. We've gone five times over the past seven years and the small ones are 8, 5 and 2. Get the right one and you'll have plenty of space, good amenities and lots of privacy. Mostt are close to a village as well with some sort of restaurant if you get tired of the self catering. Would recommend it

Could you recommend a website for finding a gite? Do you miss the pool, the slides etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Could you recommend a website for finding a gite? Do you miss the pool, the slides etc?

Bookings.com has served me well a few times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyone get a refund off BF or is only a credit note being offered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

We've used a few different ones. Home away.co.uk, chez nous.com, holiday lettings.co.uk, sawdays.co.uk....there are plenty out there. There are also some french ones such gitedefrance.

Every one we booked we made sure we had our own pool, the last few were heated, some with covers, all very safe i.e. behind locked gates, which is great for the kids. Most of them had swings, other toys and BBQs. Its up to yourself really what you would like.

We loved the last few years, really disappointed we can't go this year, had a lovely spot picked out. 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Anyone get a refund off BF or is only a credit note being offered?

I sent a mail to the BF RCN email address they provided early last week, but no reply yet (think it could take 28 days).
    Got an email from them on Friday saying the rest of the fare was needed by today else, its assumed we're cancelling (with loss of deposit)... I'm assuming this is an automail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I sent a mail to the BF RCN email address they provided early last week, but no reply yet (think it could take 28 days).
    Got an email from them on Friday saying the rest of the fare was needed by today else, its assumed we're cancelling (with loss of deposit)... I'm assuming this is an automail?

My fees were to be taken on the 12th may.
    I messaged BF on Facebook messenger before that saying I didn't want them taking my money automatically. They were able to respond and sort that, so it gave me the extra 7 days while I waited for an email.
    I requested on the email that I wanted a refund due to phase 2 restrictions, my government would not let me travel.
    Got a reply with a voucher.
    Better than what I expected from bf as they've been shocking to deal with.
    Was due to sail July 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Btw, I never to that email saying they were going to take the money.
    I found they responded quicker using Facebook messenger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So BF seem to be giving Voucher Refunds only, better than no refund at all I suppose! They better not go bust!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Got our BF credit note today - relieved to be honest. Fair play to BF (cork) in trying to do something for us - they have no obligation in reality.
    Have to say they have been good to deal with (by email) on this situation.

Has anyone here been to Les Charmettes? It seems very large (1000 pitches) for the size of the pool facilities. I’m worried it would be ridiculously packed in July and August. Which were tied to with dates

Has anyone here been to Les Charmettes? It seems very large (1000 pitches) for the size of the pool facilities. I’m worried it would be ridiculously packed in July and August. Which were tied to with dates

Very big site. Very good site. Busy as hell in peak. Wouldn't go back there outside of June if I'm honest.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very big site. Very good site. Busy as hell in peak. Wouldn't go back there outside of June if I'm honest.
    That's what I was thinking. Over a thousand pitches, has to be very very busy. I found a great deal for a mobile on that site direct from owners. But I think I'll keep looking for a campsite with a happy medium of a calm atmosphere but also good pools for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

We've been 3 times and were due to go back again this year, always go July, it's a big site, 1 main large pool area with a splash park and another area down the other end of the site, not as large but has a small bar/cafe. It is a busy site but never felt over crowded. You can easily walk from any mobile to the main entertainment/pool area, although there is an onsite train that runs all day. It's a great site.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Quote...I've been looking at Pierre et Vacances and theres definitely as much amenities on site (restaurants, shops, playgrounds) But the pools in all of them are much smaller and less slides, lazy river, that kind of craic, and that's what my kids love the most. I just wondered if maybe the luxury of a ground floor apartment or a villa in the likes of Pierre et Vacances would make up for the lack of Pools/water activities.[/QUOTE]

I have stayed in Pierre et Vacances in La Baule , Argentat and a couple in Normandy. None compared with any campsites for pools/shops (none had them), restaurants (breakfasts available....not meals as such), bars are tiny (if at all). We are 3 adults ( couple with an adult daughter with learning disability) and they suit us off peak. IMO not an alternative to campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

May have been posted before:

There was a ruling by the French Government in March (Ordinance No. 2020-315 of March 25, 2020 on the financial conditions for terminating certain tourist travel and holiday contracts in the event of exceptional and unavoidable circumstances or force majeure).

In short it allows tourist companies to issue credit notes (within 3 months of cancelling) that will be valid for 18 months in lieu of cash. When re booking they must offer the same value, not sure how this will work. After 18 months the voucher can be exchanged for cash.

Not ideal, but meant to keep cash flow in the system for the tourist industry.

https://www.hoche-avocats.com/en/hotels-in-france-and-covid-19-credit-or-refund/
    The principle: the hotel operator may offer, instead of a refund of the full amount of the payments made, a credit note valid for 18 months. This is an option. If the hotel-keeper fails to exercise this option, he must reimburse the guest who requests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just wondering what people's experiences with Irish Ferries have been during this current crisis?
    In terms of refunds or credit notes or transferring to 2021 etc
    Their Customer Service in general.

We have always used IF in the past (were meant to flying to Italy next month instead) but just wondering how they have compared with Brittany Ferries or Stena in relation to this.
    Back on the Ferry for us for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people's experiences with Irish Ferries have been during this current crisis?
    TIA.

For ourselves we have found them to have been very helpful, given the circumstances. We are okay with the voucher, as we know we will use it. Twitter seems to be faster than email, but they have always gotten back. As for the others, I have not sailed with them in a while.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    For ourselves we have found them to have been very helpful, given the circumstances. We are okay with the voucher, as we know we will use it. Twitter seems to be faster than email, but they have always gotten back. As for the others, I have not sailed with them in a while.

Good to know. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pablor101

Good to know. Thanks.

With BF pont Avon lovely boat. Even has a pool. Services up to this year great but there lack of consistency with pandemic appears worse and not helpful- heard not about Stena which possibly suggests flexibility-

Pablor101 wrote: »
    With BF pont Avon lovely boat. Even has a pool. Services up to this year great but there lack of consistency with pandemic appears worse and not helpful- heard not about Stena which possibly suggests flexibility-

Thanks. Want to explore all options for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

We have always used IF in the past (were meant to flying to Italy next month instead) but just wondering how they have compared with Brittany Ferries or Stena in relation to this.

Can't complain about IF. I got a reply immediately (through facebook messenger) had refund applied within half an hour, took 2 days to reach my bank account. Our sailing was outside the timeframe that is, so far on their website, but we had the flexibility option so that helped. Would never be without that as this is the second time we have had to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rang them on their 0818 number today, and hung on.
    18 minutes waiting and got talking to a helpful lady.
    Our sailing is 5th August, so I can either take a refund of the full amount, minus €100, ( I had paid in full in December) or wait until 23rd June and then I will be able to get the same refund or a credit note for the full amount, valid until December 2021.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Rang them on their 0818 number today, and hung on.
    18 minutes waiting and got talking to a helpful lady.
    Our sailing is 5th August, so I can either take a refund of the full amount, minus €100, ( I had paid in full in December) or wait until 23rd June and then I will be able to get the same refund or a credit note for the full amount, valid until December 2021.

That is good. I would be happy with that if we were in that position this Summer.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great news coming out of France. Accelerating their easing of lockdown. All campsites, pools etc open from next week.

Opening borders from mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

What does that mean if you can't leave Ireland, if your campsite is open will you still be entitled to a refund or credit note?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tnegun wrote: »
    What does that mean if you can't leave Ireland, if your campsite is open will you still be entitled to a refund or credit note?

have you contacted them? As myself and others have described above, most operators are offering credit notes which are backed by a French govt scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

Its Eurocamp they said they would contact me two weeks before our date 15th June to discuss options. I can't travel next year so was looking for an alternative to the voucher and price match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Advertisement