Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

tnegun wrote:
    What does that mean if you can't leave Ireland, if your campsite is open will you still be entitled to a refund or credit note?

I should have said great news for those travelling later in the summer. I'm not going until August and with the rate things are progressing here and in France I suspect there's a good chance we'll be travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

tnegun wrote: »
    What does that mean if you can't leave Ireland, if your campsite is open will you still be entitled to a refund or credit note?

As others have suggested contact them. We did this for a Yelloh reservation (contacted the site directly) for the end of June. Told them we weren't permitted to travel beyond 20 km and they offered us the credit note option which we got a couple of days later with an acknowledgement that we weren't technically covered by the ordinance but they giving it to us anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

We're due to travel mid July. The news out of France today is good. Two things need to happen for people's nightmares to turn back into dreams now..

1. Irish Government would need to accelerate our lockdown restriction easing, particularly to actually allow you to drive to the ferry. But the most important thing is the 2 week quarantine for people arriving into or returning to the country would need to go. Reason for this is that France are operating reciprocity on a country by country basis. In other words, if Ireland is forcing people coming in from France to isolate for two weeks, then France will force people coming in from Ireland to isolate for two weeks. That basically rules out going there. You can see some of the pressure already starting this week on that, unfortunately led by Michael o Leary who is a bit of a turn off. Govt may also consider that by leaving it in place it could boost domestic tourism.

2. Even if it's technically possible to go, you have to make a judgement call for yourself as to whether you are willing to risk it, in terms of the chances of being hit by a second wave. There will definitely be a cohort posting here who will scream in horror that you would be crazy to go, and possibly say you're irresponsible etc. Could be some ugly arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Our eurocamp in Normandy have not come back yet to confirm they will be open.
    Meant to be going July 4th. Flights, no passports for kids mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I came through Rosslare last night enroute to Cherbourg and the sailing experience has been largely the same. Loads more passanger traffic than freight traffic.
    Revenue were checking social welfare which was lovely to see. I hope they keep this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I came through Rosslare last night enroute to Cherbourg and the sailing experience has been largely the same. Loads more passanger traffic than freight traffic. Revenue were checking social welfare which was lovely to see. I hope they keep this up.

Was the ship busy? Were passengers spaced out in bar etc?

What does "Revenue checking social welfare" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I came through Rosslare last night enroute to Cherbourg and the sailing experience has been largely the same. Loads more passanger traffic than freight traffic.
    Revenue were checking social welfare which was lovely to see. I hope they keep this up.

What do you mean "it was lovely to see". Aren't people on social welfare allowed out of Ireland?

What do you mean "it was lovely to see". Aren't people on social welfare allowed out of Ireland?

Social welfare tourism needs to be clamped down on . And I'm happy to see the enforcement.

First Up wrote: »
    Was the ship busy? Were passengers spaced out in bar etc?

What does "Revenue checking social welfare" mean?

Ship is not busy,chairs at tables down to two from four. Facemasks required in French waters and through the port area.

Social welfare tourism.

I think he meant people actually living abroad but collecting welfare in Ireland. Genuine scammers like, not Irish residents going on holiday as of course they can and should if they can afford it through their welfare payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Peckham wrote: »
    I should have said great news for those travelling later in the summer. I'm not going until August and with the rate things are progressing here and in France I suspect there's a good chance we'll be travelling.

I’m due to go on the 21st august. I am quite happy about that now- there’ll be tourism for 9 weeks by that stage so we’ll know better if things are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Face masks required in French waters - does that mean both indoors and on the Decks on board the Ferry ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Face masks required in French waters - does that mean both indoors and on the Decks on board the Ferry ?

Everywhere on the ship. Entering French waters will be less than 2 hours from journey end . Yesterday evening there were people wearing facemasks at dinner. Some lifted them to eat a forkful and put them back over their mouths to chew,others took them off completely and left them beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

spockety wrote: »
    I think he meant people actually living abroad but collecting welfare in Ireland. Genuine scammers like, not Irish residents going on holiday as of course they can and should if they can afford it through their welfare payments.

Interesting; I think that started with Ryanair offering cheapo fares. Maybe with planes grounded people are taking the ferry. What exactly are Revenue checking and what can they do? I presume they can't kick people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had provisionally booked with Irish Ferries for September recently after the holiday I was supposed to be going on to the south of France this Saturday had to be cancelled, I would say outside of a second wave things are looking good for travel in late summer.

I booked one campsite with Yelloh this morning, they are doing a Flexy offer where you pay nothing until 7 days before arrival with free cancellation up until then. If you don't pay by then they just cancel the booking, I haven't given them any payment details yet so I can't see how they'd even be able to take any money off me.

If you were in an at risk category or had kids you were worried about then I would see how you might be a little bit apprehensive about traveling, but it's just me and my fiancé and we're dying to salvage something from the summer.

I’m see the Yelloh site I was in last year is opening 19th June

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

So passengers are using the ferry to and from France still? We had booked for late June, and cancelled, getting credit notes for both ferry and accommodation. We don't go to a campsite, but a gite, so maybe one or two gites on the site. Last couple of years we have had the pool to ourselves, as there are so few residents about. In truth, our holidays are more socially distance than our time at home. We are really thinking about re-booking for mid July, if we can. Will be watching how things go in France with great interest.

Pressure on govt continues; IBEC today calling formally for the removal of the visitor 14 day quarantine in a letter to gov.

Ladylouth wrote: »
    So passengers are using the ferry to and from France still? We had booked for late June, and cancelled, getting credit notes for both ferry and accommodation. We don't go to a campsite, but a gite, so maybe one or two gites on the site. Last couple of years we have had the pool to ourselves, as there are so few residents about. In truth, our holidays are more socially distance than our time at home. We are really thinking about re-booking for mid July, if we can. Will be watching how things go in France with great interest.

Looking at it, you'd be able to be more socially distant without massive crowds on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Did you sail with Stena line and do you have to self isolate (either side)

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Did you sail with Stena line and do you have to self isolate (either side)

Sailed with Stena alright. No isolation on the French side nor in Switzerland. Cherbourg checks were nothing more than a passport check. Rosslare was more in-depth, passport check and photograph of passport,questioned and documented where the origin and destination of trip was and duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We are pulling the plug on our French holiday. Can't see how the kids club or pool activity will work.
    Also don't like the risk that kids could pick something up at the pool or kids club.

We are pulling the plug on our French holiday. Can't see how the kids club or pool activity will work and not lead to frustration
    Also don't like the risk that kids could pick something up at the pool or kids club.

We are pulling the plug on our French holiday. Can't see how the kids club or pool activity will work and not lead to frustration

Have you insurance or getting a credit note? My campsite announced its opening date so I’ll lose all my money if I cancel

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Have you insurance or getting a credit note? My campsite announced its opening date so I’ll lose all my money if I cancel

For campsite its only a deposit of 250 and in fairness Siblu will let us move it to next year.
    If they don't let us move it, they be losing 3000 euro from us as we won't go back next year, so be two bookings gone
    Also Irish Government said only essential travel till 20th of July, we are end of June.

Aer lingus will do vouchers for the flights, can cancel car hire no problem.

Will book an holiday in Ireland and head off on the bikes with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah we've switched the campsite booking to 2021 and I've been offered a credit note for the ferry for our €100 deposit
    Like yourself, can't see how stuff like the kids club would work and that was one of the big draws for the camp. Also, if we have allotments for use of the pool, it takes away a lot of the fun.
    Whole point of the holiday is for the kids to make friends and play with a load of other kids and interact.
    No idea whether any of the local facilities will be back to normal.
    Also, whatever about risks in Ireland, I don't fancy risking catching Covid (however unlikely) and any of the family suffering from it staying in a Eurocamps mobile home, particularly if we don't have mild symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

tnegun wrote: »
    Its Eurocamp they said they would contact me two weeks before our date 15th June to discuss options. I can't travel next year so was looking for an alternative to the voucher and price match.
    In fairness to Eurocamp they made contact to say they had no option to cancel and would issue a refund invoice and voucher. Their FAQ on the site says I can request a refund once I have the voucher and has a form to complete with IBAN etc. so looks like it should be straight forward enough fingers crossed!

Irish Ferries are sticking to their guns on the loss of breakdown insurance though as I cancelled the booking, I only did as they advised so will keep pressing on the issue it's painfully slow progress though about 8 days between emails and someone different every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

has anyone had to contact AerLingus? just wondering whats the quickest way to get in touch, I see people have had success with twitter for the ferry, so just checking to see if anyone has any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

has anyone had to contact AerLingus? just wondering whats the quickest way to get in touch, I see people have had success with twitter for the ferry, so just checking to see if anyone has any recommendations.

Used messaging on their Facebook and got a response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Used messaging on their Facebook and got a response

just a quick update, its a bot manning the chat, but its actually very helpful, I was able to submit my voucher request and have already received confirmation that it will be issued shortly.
    Thats a real weight off my mind, as it stands, I'm only out 240 euros overall for the deposit on the campsite and the rental car.

(plus the real bummer of not having a holiday:( )

Advertisement