Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For campsite its only a deposit of 250 and in fairness Siblu will let us move it to next year.
    If they don't let us move it, they be losing 3000 euro from us as we won't go back next year, so be two bookings gone
    Also Irish Government said only essential travel till 20th of July, we are end of June.

Aer lingus will do vouchers for the flights, can cancel car hire no problem.

Will book an holiday in Ireland and head off on the bikes with the kids

Siblu not allowing to book for next year or move your holiday to next year.
    Just providing you a voucher.
    They are saying their system won't allow that

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

That's a bit crap! I wanted a price match for the mobile we had this year.. think our deposit was just under €500.
    We actually haven't heard from siblu yet, our balance was due the 30th of May, my husband emailed yesterday morning but nothing back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

That's a bit disappointing all right as I'm in a similar position and if, as is almost certain, we can't travel in early July, I'd feel much better knowing we'd locked in the same accomodation on similar dates for next year rather than just have an IOU which may or may not cover next years pricing.

It's possible that Siblu simply don't actually have the ability to confirm bookings for next year just yet. Did they give you any indication as to when you will be able to use your voucher to book 2021 accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Why can't we travel in early July? Genuine question. If France has opened up it's borders, the ferries will take passengers surely? The only block could be a travel advisory from DFA against non essential travel still being in place. If we are willing to take the chance on travelling regardless of that, we can. Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I went to book another campsite through yelloh today and their flexy offer is now gone... didn't last long. Will leave it now til nearer the time and I'm sure I'll actually be going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Why can't we travel in early July? Genuine question. If France has opened up it's borders, the ferries will take passengers surely? The only block could be a travel advisory from DFA against non essential travel still being in place. If we are willing to take the chance on travelling regardless of that, we can. Am I missing anything?

Valid Travel Insurance?

The risk of a second wave, being quarantined, especially if it were on the ferry, the lack of pools open, kids club not running, bars/restaurants restricted/closed.. not much of a holiday for me and my gang, but these things might not matter to others, too much of a risk for me personally, but each to their own, weigh up the risks, pros/cons and decide for yourself I suppose.

AFAIK if you travel to a country for a holiday when there's a DFA advisory against doing so for all but essential travel your travel insurance would be invalidated. If you all had your European Health Insurance Cards with you you'd have free access to the French national health system but I personally wouldn't like the idea of having to rely on that alone.

IIRC the travel advisory is currently in place until July 20th which would be too late for us but it might be reviewed if the R rate drops away and/or if reciprocal air/ferry bridges are established with other countries including France before then but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

54and56 wrote: »
    AFAIK if you travel to a country for a holiday when there's a DFA advisory against doing so for all but essential travel your travel insurance would be invalidated.
    Likewise with your car insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

54and56 wrote: »
    That's a bit disappointing all right as I'm in a similar position and if, as is almost certain, we can't travel in early July, I'd feel much better knowing we'd locked in the same accomodation on similar dates for next year rather than just have an IOU which may or may not cover next years pricing.

It's possible that Siblu simply don't actually have the ability to confirm bookings for next year just yet. Did they give you any indication as to when you will be able to use your voucher to book 2021 accomodation?

Siblu will be taking bookings using the voucher from August 2020. It's a French government sponsored scheme. Voucher is valid for 18 months.

• Advertisement

Siblu booked us in last year while we were still onsite, for this year, no reason that they can't do that now, only thing I can think of is because they are going to massively bump up the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

amor3 wrote: »
    Siblu booked us in last year while we were still onsite, for this year, no reason that they can't do that now, only thing I can think of is because they are going to massively bump up the prices!

Exactly. Their 'system won't allow it' is gaslighting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

webpal wrote: »

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pataman wrote: »
    Not true

Would be interested in knowing which of these statements is correct, before I check with our insurer.

Double post

My understanding is that anything Covid19 related would not be covered by travel insurance. I would calculate that as a very low risk, though a risk. We have EHIC cards. Car insurance is not affected as Pataman said. We would be more isolated in France during those weeks than we would be in Ireland, that's just the kind of holiday we take. We are willing to change our behaviour re masks, less eating out and more careful where we go etc. We have cancelled everything as we were to travel in June, but still considering booking again from scratch in mid July.

Thanks for all the input, boardsies!

Pataman wrote: »
    Not true

Question 5 https://www.123.ie/travel-insurance/faq

Best check with each your insurance company first

Will double check everything. Still watching what happens both sides of the pond before making a final call on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Question 5 https://www.123.ie/travel-insurance/faq

Best check with each your insurance company first

The link you put up is related to travel insurance Q & A's. No mention at all of car insurance.

Exactly. Their 'system won't allow it' is gaslighting nonsense.

I think the "system won't allow it" is a generic cover all type response customer facing staff are using which may be reflecting the fact that Siblu management are unwilling to commit yet to bookings for 2021 until they know how many cancellation vouchers they are going to have to honour for 2021, whether or not there will be a requirement for them to de-populate their sites to promote more social distancing next year etc.

It could of course be nothing more than they are planning to price gouge their captive (voucher) customers for next year but that wouldn't be in keeping with the experience I've had with them for over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Jambalaya wrote: »
    Siblu will be taking bookings using the voucher from August 2020. It's a French government sponsored scheme. Voucher is valid for 18 months.

I spoke to a SIBLU customer services guy this morning to talk about cancelling and he walked me through this. If we end up not using the voucher within the 18 months I get a refund of monies paid. Works for me as we would hope to travel next summer so I am happy enough about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just wondering if anyone still planning on going on Ferry plus Campsites later this Summer ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/
    Travel for Irish people to countries where Covid-19 has been successfully supressed will return in a number of weeks, Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation Heather Humphreys has said.

Minister Humphreys told RTÉ's Morning Ireland that the Government plans to reintroduce air travel through "airbridges", which will allow travel to countries where the curve has been "flattened" to the same degree as it has here.

She said she would not encourage people to book holidays yet, but she said plans are in place and will be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone still planning on going on Ferry plus Campsites later this Summer ?

Yes but contingent on the following being in place within the next 4 weeks:-

- DFA lift the French travel restriction.

- There is no requirement to self quarantine on arrival into France or on arrival in Ireland back from France.

- There are no significant restrictions on moving about in France.

- The "R" rate in France (SW France to be specific) is no higher than Ireland / Dublin.

- The campsite restrictions are not so onerous that they would make it too hard to have an enjoyable holiday e.g. restaurants closed, pools closed etc.

- There is no reduction in travel or health insurance cover if we do travel.

- My family are all happy to travel. If anyone is uncomfortable with the idea we won't go.

SusanC10 wrote: »

No.

We are lucky in the fact we have a caravan on site here in ireland, so with a bit of luck and restrictions lifted, we will get to spend a few weeks there.

Yes to ferry. No to campsite - but only because we don't go to campsites normally. If we did and the campsites are open, we would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

I hope to go for a wine trip in September. If we have to stay in our cabins I can live with that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

McSween wrote: »
    I hope to go for a wine trip in September. If we have to stay in our cabins I can live with that

sitting in a small room drinking wine for 18 hours? havent we been training for this all lockdown! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Yes to Ferry if the WB Yeats is on the the France crossing by August but wont be staying at a campsite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'd say there's a lot of people that cancelled their July and August holidays absolutely fuming after today's acceleration of phases.

We should have been sailing tomorrow for a month but I moved it to the 1st of August back in April so fingers crossed we'll be going.

Advertisement